Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

<this space left intentionally blank, will be updated later. Fuck Lowtax>
Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sometimes I'd watch Archer and think, what if it were a period piece? Like, not a mock period piece, like Archer: Vice, but an actual period piece?

So they gave us Archer: Dreamland. And I liked it.

So then I thought, "So, how are they going to ease us back into the standard timeline?"

So they gave us Archer: Danger Island!!

So far, so good. The opening credits, as per usual, have been customized for this season's time period. And, like last season, the music was also changed up a bit. This all reminds me of how Venture Bros. used to do this for the first episode of each new season. (It also reminds me of Venture Bros. because of J.G. Thirlwell, whose boots I am not worthy to kiss.)

I like that they're not afraid to mix it up a lot on this show, even doing things just because, well, gently caress it. I mean, the show's had more than its share of seasons by now, and this is one unique way to keep things as fresh as possible. So, let's run down the list....

Setting: Big Hotel on Fictional Island, in the 1930s. Fictional Island is a French colony/protectorate.

• Archer: is a one-eyed pilot. He's got an eyepatch. Other than that, he's Archer.
  • Pam: she's taller and less obese; more like an ox than a cow. Still tough as nails. She's partners with Archer or something. (Phrasing!) (Seriously, it's platonic.)
  • Cheryl: a recently married socialite, she wakes up in bed with... guess who... and it has the predictable consequences with her new husband.
  • Krieger: that's Crackers to you! Krieger is a parrot named Crackers. It's... funnier than it sounds, if it doesn't sound funny. Technically, he'a a macaw.
  • Malory: owns the hotel where everyone seems to live. As always, she's Malory.
  • Ray: he's the French police commander of the island.
  • Lana: princess of the natives of the island, but without an accent. Gee, I wonder if she'll be a love interest?
  • Cyril: he's now Siegbert Fuchs, and I'm mainly giving his character's full name here because it's pronounced "Zeegbert Fucks." So... yeah.

One episode in, and it's looking fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm hoping they develop a nice running gag for the subject line of the thread.

I kind-of miss last year's "(rimshot) ... Stop it!" routine.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are they gonna have Cyril speaking german the entire season?

Well, he is a German spy, so... probably. And Ray is going to speak French. And Archer will do his best H. Jon Benjamin impression all season long.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

Since this is all happening in his head, I wish they'd bring back Nikolai Jakov and bodyguard.

Yeah, still trying to navigate their place in the new Communist Party regime. Maybe Jakov still reminisces about the good ol' days under Tsar Nicholas II.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mulderman posted:

Please don't trigger me while I watch my show about awful people doing awful things!
I'd like to enjoy my dead hooker jokes in a safe space.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you only call them hookers when they're dead, right? (It's been a while since I watched that episode.)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Small White Dragon posted:

Krieger/Crackers is by far the best part of this season so far.

And he hates Plan B.

As soon as I heard it happening, though, I thought it was hilarious.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

That's another good counterpoint to the notion that continuity has never mattered: sexy shenanigans.

Over the course of the regular seasons (any season that doesn't have a subtitle), the characters sleep with each other here and there, and it tends to either have long-term consequences down the road, or it at least gets referenced, with a little wink and nod to the audience when you get one of those "Hey, I slept with [X]! / Oh, that's right!" exchanges.

Also, just look at Barry and Katya over time.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My only complaint with the last two seasons is that, for obvious reasons, there are no voicemail gags.

The gags themselves are usually good for a giggle, and they were spaced out far enough so that you didn't always expect that a phone call placed to Archer would definitely mean there was a gag coming up (unlike, say, any time Bart called Moe's Tavern; you always knew how that would end). And the stinger was the "Leave it!" instruction, which seems at least a little rude, with the automated message that his voicemail was full anyway. So, not only do you get tricked when you go to his voicemail, but he's not polite about it, and it's all moot because he never checks those messages anyway.

But what always got me was the reaction the person being gagged gave. I swear, I could watch Mallory crush phones and glasses with one hand all day long.

(And the gag he left on Ray's phone when he got hold of it one day came out of nowhere, and the explanation was hilarious.)

I wonder if they could work something up with an answering service? Well... probably not in 1930s Danger Island....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Is this real? Malorie is keeping Cheryl as a sex slave this season and the Archer crew regularly commit like war crimes in previous seasons but selling cocaine is too far?

They even have cocaine turn Pam into a supermodel and joke about her doing poo poo tons of it, not to mention all the other casual drug use in the series, but they think having the main chars sell drugs is too far?

I'm rambling on about it but it's seriously blown my mind.

Well, some of stuff you mention (like war crimes) is done so cartoonishly that it's not really an issue. Selling massive quantities of cocaine, though, plays to audiences differently than, say, blowing up an oil line in a country where the same word (a dog's name) is used for snake, Friday, and bread. Or, I don't know, killing the Italian Prime Minister, who is wearing a latex gimp suit with an internal butt dildo. These examples go so far beyond crossing the line that they cross the line twice, and if you can do that, it generally becomes funny.

Pam slimming down by becoming a coke head is different than selling massive amounts of cocaine for cartels. And besides, it's done really cartoonishly--she's eating enough cocaine to kill an entire 5-star hotel full of rich, white, trust-fund frat boys. Her consumption of the drug is so absurd that it crosses the line twice. It's really hard to do that with selling a metric ton of cocaine for a cartel. Or, the CIA, I guess. I mean, just try to come up with a way to make that cross the line twice. I've been trying to do it, and I can't come up with so much as a silly premise that makes selling for cartels funny.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Honestly, to me it was all a good decision to have them not sell the cocaine. Maybe the reason was stupid and arbitrary considering some of the other stuff the show has done (although I explained my own theory on why it's not that arbitrary); I'll grant you that that's a possibility. But, the motive notwithstanding, by choosing not to turn ISIS into a cocaine trafficking organization, they got to do something even funnier: they got to show how this group of people somehow can't manage to sell an extremely hot commodity, even as they are surrounded on all sides by high demand. In fact, the harder they try, the more they fail at this task.

To me, each failure was funnier than the last.

Trying but failing to sell it was just funnier than any scenario I can imagine in which they would have actually moved the product.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Proteus Jones posted:

I'll say it again, but Archer Vice will always have a place in my heart if only for the "Eat a dick, Jungle" sequence.

My favorite gag is the slap attack. The first time my wife saw it, she drat near pissed her pants. I can't remember if the slapping fits started with Vice, but some of the best examples were in that season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I love how Archer points out that Cracker's dislike of other bird species is racism.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The anthropologist in the trailer for the next episode sure looks, talks, and acts like the executive assistant for that group of pirates from several seasons ago.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DoggPickle posted:

I'm skipping probably 3 pages of replies but the first thing I thought when I saw the first episode was "Tales of the Gold Monkey" and I wanted to hear Jack bark once for yes, and two for no. I actually have really poor DVD rips of the originals which I started to make one of my friends watch but they couldn't deal with it/couldn't see the awesomeness .

I haven't watched another episode. I liked "Vice" and then I lost interest.

I remember watching that show when it was new.

At that time, there was this brief fascination with the early days of aviation. Movies with lone pilots-for-hire getting into all kinds of derring-do.... High Road to China comes to mind....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I re-watched the episodes the other day, and I've noticed something: the walls of reality are starting to noticeably break down, albeit in subtle ways.

In the first episode, in Archer's bedroom, Charlotte has a brief flashback in which she says she wants to tongue his empty eye socket. When they cut back to the bedroom, she asks what she's done, and he directly responds to that one bit of dialog from the flashback: "Hopefully, not that." I know this one is a stretch, especially seeing as how this wasn't the first flashback they've ever done. But, watch that scene--what Archer says only makes sense if he just watched the flashback, or if Charlotte only said that one thing.

There's the 4th wall break about how this is not Tales of the Gold Monkey. Again... maybe a stretch.

But then, there's Crackers, whose speech abilities, hand-waiving notwithstanding, are not realistic given the relatively grounded in reality nature of the rest of the show's setting. Even Pam thinks it's magic.

Also, Pam says something about a "catch-22," and Archer correctly tells her "I don't think that's a thing yet." This could be just a joke for the audience, though. The season is set in the 1930s, and Catch-22 didn't exist until 1961. What would make sense is Archer asking what she meant by "catch-22." What doesn't is Archer saying that that's not a thing yet.

Maybe I'm imagining this. Maybe I'm thinking about it way too hard, which is hard to imagine considering this is a cartoon--how could you possibly over-analyze something so important? But, I hope these are little bits of foreshadowing. As he starts to emerge from the coma, reality starts seeping into his dream worlds, creating some extreme weirdness.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

tsob posted:

That makes as much sense as Archer making a joke out of wondering when exactly the show takes place several seasons back, because the technology is all over the place.

When did this happen?

The closest thing I can recall was in the episode where they're doing the paternity test. Barry says that they need one liter of blood for the DNA test, and Mallory asks what year it is. But she's not asking because she's confused about the setting of the episode--she's asking because using a DNA swab is standard procedure; taking blood (especially a large amount of it) just isn't necessary anymore.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Trabant posted:

It's gonna be friendship.

/me looks directly at the Internet and says, "It's NOT going to be that. Got it?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

This feels familiar. Was it from an episode?

Yeah, a few episodes back. When Archer tries to guess what the idol or whatever is, he settles on gold and possibly a monkey. But as soon as he says monkey, Pam immediately and explicitly tells him that it's not a monkey--and then looks into the camera and repeats herself.

You know, to make sure we all know that this isn't Tales of the Golden Monkey.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Zachack posted:

I think so, over the last couple months between Atlanta, Legion, and this (and maybe other stuff?) the swearing valve has been completely opened. And I feel I heard it somewhere else, like American Dad, but I dunno.

And I will also register surprise at next week (Ep. 8) being the finale.

I thought the video game comparison ending with Wolfenstein 3D mecha-hitler was pretty great.

"You want Fuchs? Because this is how you get Fuchs?"

He really started spouting off the catch phrases from past seasons in this episode, and I don't mind that at all. And at the very end, seeing how the cocaine/meth left him with a white Hitler mustache and his hair was messed up into looking vaguely Hitler-y... well, I had to pause it so I could finish laughing.

I also laughed out loud at Noah's apparent fascination with etymology, and how much it annoyed Archer.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

I just might forgive everything that's not great about this season because the parrot is so loving adorable.

Well, actually, technically, he's a macaw, which is actually a type of parrot. So, he's... technically a parrot, actually, but I mean technically he'só

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Wow.

I was wondering if they'd flash forward for the next season, seeing as how setting it in the past again might get old. Looks like I was right, although having Mallory be a conscious ball of computer energy was something I didn't see coming. And I noticed that the word "Seamus" popped up on the screen; perhaps a call back to last season. In any event, I'm glad they decided to go in that direction.

And it was nice to see a band of native cannibals who understand the concept of the call back. Especially when they're hilarious racist pranksters.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Last season? I thought it was a reference to the wee baby Seamus from season two.

poo poo, I forgot about that. I was thinking about the nickname given to private detectives.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I could accept a Fantasy or Superhero one, but no zombie one. Is there anything more played out than Zombies?

Oh, you've never heard of... oh my! I get to be the first one to tell you about... OK, calm down, calm down, don't give it away yet, Tarlibone...

(ahem)

Dear Twisted Mentat, allow me introduce you to... vampires!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

ZorajitZorajit posted:

What about a Heavy Metal inspired season? Have Archer think he's woken up into some sort of post apocalyptic fantasy with wizards and hover cycles? I'd love some more Metal Hurlant.

The animation style is just too jarringly different. You'd almost have to hire a new team of traditional animators and make sure that they only worked while very drunk to pull it off.

Proteus Jones posted:

That sounds more like a Krieger coma dream, tbh.

And also this.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Alexeythegreat posted:

Burt Reynolds

I know. My wife suggested we find some Archer to watch. I can think of a few episodes....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Show's back on tonight but I'm not sure if we need to make a new thread or not

I'm fine either way, but we'll need at least one episode to get a good thread title.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Archer 1999: Smells like a fart poo poo its pants....

Well, not a great title, but that was a good line.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

... and Lana's pleading that they finally return to Earth as promised, which seems like a metaphor for him waking up...

Thanks for snaping our dumbledores, man. Really appreciate that. Now if you'll excuse me, I might as well crumple up my TV and toss it into the trash.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Kesper North posted:

Well, I'm sorry, Doctor Venture, but as per the terms of the Guild-OSI treaty I can't be held responsible if the show becomes too predictable and my bullshit psychoanalysis of a fictional character's dream actually proves correct (And I followed the TVIV spoiler policy!)

Well... OK, then.

Actually, it was an insightful prediction; if it turns out to be true, that'll be great. If not, well, nobody'll remember.

Personally, I had my eyes peeled for a sign that Archer's dream world was starting to fray. I seem to remember someone from the show saying that the coma worlds might start breaking down as these seasons go along. I mean, Dreamland was pretty straightforward noir, albeit with robots and the usual Archer nonsense (like the common radiator fix of using a potato, which everyone keeps in the potato compartment). Then, Danger Island had a couple moments where things didn't make perfect sense within the world of the show. Mainly, I'm thinking about how Pam casually mentioned a "catch-twenty-two," and Archer correctly (given the time setting) told her that that wasn't a thing yet.

If that does happen, I hope it's done well. Maybe we'll get some reality checking in on him, or maybe a Dreamland or Danger Island character will make an appearance. (Maybe the Pooveys will fight each other.)

Or, maybe it ends with Archer finding Woodhouse.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah man, two Pams meeting would definitely fight rather than gently caress.

I'm pretty sure it would start as a fight.

But now that I think about it... yeah, much splooshing would ensue. I'm thinking a Mr. & Mrs. Smith scenario, but with fists instead of guns.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Jesus Spacechrist, that was fun. Now that we know who's what and/or who, they were able to just have them do space Archer stuff. Or, Archer space stuff.

Space Phrasing!

Now, last season, there was one moment when Pam looked directly into the camera and firmly told us all that we werne't watching Tales of the Golden Monkey. It was done in a way that could easily be passed off as "the writers are humorously covering their asses." This episode had one part where the characters wonder whether they or some other show had done this plot before (and I don't know what they were referring to, but I'm sure someone does), one part where Archer looks directly at the camera and delivers lines related to what's happening in front of him, and a part at the end where Pam pretends to do a freeze-frame pose--again, directly to the camera.

Could this be a sign that Archer's dream world is starting to crack a little? Like, his consciousness is becoming aware of the fake nature of his current adventure?

Or is this just the goofy style of space humor we will have to expect in Archer: 1999?

I guess we'll have to wait until next week and tune in at the same space time... same space channel....

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The first thing my wife said when she saw Fun Beak was, "Isn't that the [Cybernetic] Ghost of Christmas Past?"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Well, this show's bad now.

It hasn't been great since probably season 4, but the last couple at least had their moments. This entire episode was just... nothing.

Yeah, it wasn't great. I mean, I didn't hate it, but I felt like it was a B-plot stretched into a full episode.

But hey, it had one saving grace: Brett Bunson! As soon as he showed up, I knew what his fate was. Nice callback!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't think any character has fallen so far as him

I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that he's also the show's creator and head writer? Maybe he doesn't want to hog all the awesome for himself. And, yeah, after writing that, I see how it looks, but still, maybe that has something to do with it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I loved how cheerfully Cyril accepted his brainwashing. And was Space Mad Captain the same voice actress as the scientist from the Fantastic Voyage episode?

... nope, not at all. Something about the cadence in the captain's voice reminded me of Dr. Sklodowska.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Space burn

The "space-" variants of classic Archer catchphrases is really pleasing me this season. I don't know why, because it's so dumb, but it just works well. I haven't been this tickled by such an unimportant drive-by joke since Dreamland's once-per-episode rimshot routine: silly joke told in the bar + a distant rimshot from the band which is on break + Ray yelling, "Stop it!!"

I wish there was a supercut of that somewhere.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

I like that this season is doing individual episodes rather than a big overarching plot.

I hadn't even noticed that, but you're right. I was kind-of waiting for Barry 5 to show up, babbling on about revenge or something.

I wonder if all of the threads that appear to have been dropped will suddenly reappear and be tied up in the finale?

Hell, if there's a next season, will it be post-coma? Or maybe they'll do a ridiculous soap opera? I got hooked on General Hospital a few years ago because of this ridiculous thing called the "Nurse's Ball," and if that show is a thing that exists, Archer could have some fun in that genre.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

Ray got to actually do something!

And it was surprisingly effective. Even Cyril was useful, albeit accidentally (by becoming a cowering distraction).

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

OneTruePecos posted:

How has no one mentioned the mix tape yet?

Because sometimes, we just wanna have fun!

I loved the cover of that thing. I'm sure it's a reference to something that I don't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

So, what IS Mallory, now?

That's correct! She is.

She just is.

(How great was the delivery of the line, "I hope that thing chews you like gum, you crazy bitch!"? I loved that.)