Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Phenotype posted:

That's fine, but he was still Ray Gillette. We have moved from "See the wacky cast of the spy agency and their misadventures" to "See the misadventures of this wacky cast of characters voiced by the Archer actors". I think I said this before, but I signed up to watch Sterling Archer, the world's most dangerous secret agent, and his ruthless mother and so on, and even when they disbanded ISIS and starting selling cocaine or whatever, we were still at least following the same characters. If they'd said "Archer's canceled, check this new show starring H. Jon Benjamin and Aisha Tyler and the same animators", I'd think I'd be a little more accepting, but as-is I'm a little frustrated that they're trying to sell me the same show with an entirely new premise and cast of characters.

Wasn't there like, a new show by the same people that got canned?

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...d-a6797106.html

Oh wow it got replaced with a Louis C.K. animated comedy.

I mean, knowing that, I'm kind of not suprised that they've basically ended archer as a show and just made different shows with the same people/assets. It's a shame they couldn't get legit spin-offs, but it is what it is.

EDIT: Though I am liking this season a lot more than Archer Noir, which was both less funny than any other season and just generally depressing because the whole thing is about how Woodhouse's voice actor is dead in real life.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Blazing Ownager posted:

They also started wanting to make it way more safe; I remember an interview talking about how they wouldn't let them sell the cocaine because it'd be 'over the line' and poo poo. But the humor comes from just how hosed up things are, so if you aren't going to let them be hosed up.. I don't know, that season really got me as lost potential.

Is this real? Malorie is keeping Cheryl as a sex slave this season and the Archer crew regularly commit like war crimes in previous seasons but selling cocaine is too far?

They even have cocaine turn Pam into a supermodel and joke about her doing poo poo tons of it, not to mention all the other casual drug use in the series, but they think having the main chars sell drugs is too far?

I'm rambling on about it but it's seriously blown my mind.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

tarlibone posted:

Well, some of stuff you mention (like war crimes) is done so cartoonishly that it's not really an issue. Selling massive quantities of cocaine, though, plays to audiences differently than, say, blowing up an oil line in a country where the same word (a dog's name) is used for snake, Friday, and bread. Or, I don't know, killing the Italian Prime Minister, who is wearing a latex gimp suit with an internal butt dildo. These examples go so far beyond crossing the line that they cross the line twice, and if you can do that, it generally becomes funny.

Pam slimming down by becoming a coke head is different than selling massive amounts of cocaine for cartels. And besides, it's done really cartoonishly--she's eating enough cocaine to kill an entire 5-star hotel full of rich, white, trust-fund frat boys. Her consumption of the drug is so absurd that it crosses the line twice. It's really hard to do that with selling a metric ton of cocaine for a cartel. Or, the CIA, I guess. I mean, just try to come up with a way to make that cross the line twice. I've been trying to do it, and I can't come up with so much as a silly premise that makes selling for cartels funny.

But that's the thing, it's so arbitrary that they think they can't do selling cocaine in an over-the-top funny way, you can glorify basically trying to OD on the stuff and make it funny, but not something that is already built into the concept?

Like of all the things they think people would be offended about... Selling cocaine? I know in america they have daytime tv shows about coke dealers, fictional and documentary so I can't imagine it being considered more vulgar than like murder and rape and so on. Hell Breaking Bad is the most loved thing ever, and before that they even had Operation Meth Nazi in Frisky Dingo!

And I know I'm just rambling on but it seems so weird of a thing to take a stand on. For a second I was gonna say maybe one of their friends died from a cocaine overdose or something and that's why they don't want to, but then there's the Pam stuff so I guess that makes no sense as a reason either.

The fact they made coke dealing the whole purpose of the show makes the moral stance against it seem so strange too. Like I get if you don't want them to ever sell it for comedic reasons but... Yeah I'm gonna stop ranting now.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 19, 2018

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

tsob posted:

My point was that the show has already played actual, literal rape of an unconscious colleague as a joke so Mallory pimping Cheryl and Cheryl accepting because of a lack of viable alternatives doesn't seem over the line in comparison. Cheryl seems to have found a way to turn the situation to her advantage without ever having to have sex for someone else's dime, and it's almost certainly going to be more entertaining that way, but I don't really see how one is fine and the other is too far regardless.

See all this just makes the 'actually selling cocaine is morally too far' thing all the more silly.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
AVclub interview with Adam Reed confirms it's still a coma dream, we're going to be seeing archers 70s inspired 'idea' of the future, not the real future.

Also:

quote:

AVC: Is this the last we’ve seen of Crackers? Krieger’s name is on one of the cryo pods in the final scene.

AR: He could always just be a giant robotic parrot in the future. A space parrot.