Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

4. Audition (1999): gently caress... gently caress. I knew this was gonna get weird but... gently caress. I don’t know if I’ll ever get the image of the footless fingerless tongueless man crawling out of a bag to gobble up a dog bowl full of vomit out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
8. Puppetmaster

You know, I wasn't expecting this to be good at all, but it's actually quite charming and won me over by the end. It does take a while to get going, it's not particularly well shot, certainly badly acted, but there's love in the puppets and the overall story has a very Stephen King-y vibe that I quite enjoyed.

My puppet rankings are as follows:
1) Freaky leech girl
2) Spinny head dude
3) drilly head dude
4) knife dude
5) that loving pin head...burglar?

Honorary mention to the absolutely derpiest dog in the end, it's a very good dog.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

It's nice to see people praising Puppet Master. I was hooked on Full Moon as an adolescent and worry about the nostalgia factor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

married but discreet posted:

8. Puppetmaster

You know, I wasn't expecting this to be good at all, but it's actually quite charming and won me over by the end. It does take a while to get going, it's not particularly well shot, certainly badly acted, but there's love in the puppets and the overall story has a very Stephen King-y vibe that I quite enjoyed.

1) Freaky leech girl
2) Spinny head dude
3) drilly head dude
4) knife dude

Honorary mention to the absolutely derpiest dog in the end, it's a very good dog.

Leechy gets pretty important to the story in some of the sequels so you're in for a gross slimy treat.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

married but discreet posted:

8. Puppetmaster

1) Freaky leech girl
2) Spinny head dude
3) drilly head dude
4) knife dude

It hurts me to see Blade ranked so low but I understand, you just need to watch the second one ASAP so you can appreciate him more.

Right on with Leech Woman though.

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

A little slow on the uptake, but got in the Spielberg double shot of Jaws and Jurassic Park. What can I say, both of these movies hold up beautifully. Jaws smartly uses the constraints of its animatronics to its advantage, letting the shark linger mostly as a looming, unseen terror that can and will strike from anywhere, right up until the final climactic confrontations in the underwater cage and on the boat. Jurassic Park meanwhile, though a number of it's CGI effects are starting to show their age, still looks just as good today as the day it came out in the practical effects department, while also doing a remarkable job of balancing its moments of quiet and naturalistic beauty alongside its unwaveringly tense setpiece showcases.

Movies watched (3): A Quiet Place, Jaws, Jurassic Park

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I've seen Jason X and FvJ before so technically I could skip them, but it's been a decade and a half so I figure I may as well finish the full set. Plus I loved them when I saw them and I can only assume teenage me had great taste. So, here goes...

11. Jason X (2001) - 4/5. It probably really only deserves a 3, but I'm a sucker for space horror and I am so starved for it that I had mostly positive feelings about the new Cloverfield; this easily clears the bar. That said, it is weirdly light on the violence overall with a ton of offscreen murdering, but several of the ones we do get to see are extremely good so I have no idea what the deal was. There's a long and extremely boring middle section that I had absolutely no memory of and will probably forget again by the time I wake up tomorrow. The movie also suffers from some pretty bad jokes, but none of them are as bad as the attempts at humor in the rest of the franchise's latter half and they're mixed with some good jokes too so net win.

And then there's David Cronenberg, the face dipped in liquid nitrogen, the knife pass-through, pretty cool opening credits, the mysterious giant screw, the failure to develop any any sort of autopilot for the spaceship carrying magical medical nanomachines, extremely goofy future fashion, and good android on cyborg violence once it gets going. So I'm pretty happy overall.

One of the things I remember Lurdiak saying (roughly, paraphrased) about this movie is that it makes sense a person who does not actually like the F13 franchise would enjoy it while from the franchise fan perspective it sucks, and I think I can kind of see where he's coming from now. But almost half the franchise is actively making GBS threads on or ignoring the other half and even if you want the movies to take themselves more or less seriously and avoid being too self-aware, this is still a more serious and respectful sequel than VIII or Jason Goes to Hell.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Choco1980 posted:

Okay, my May convention is over and I have time to devote to hitting at least lucky 13 this month.

So let's play a game:

Those of you who know me know I have a broad range of tastes, and a pretty eclectic track record of what I've seen and haven't. Suggest me a movie title. if I haven't seen it, I will go out of my way to fix that post haste. You get one shot per person, and I'm giving zero hints beforehand. Let's get me to the quota!

How about Shin Godzilla

Also add me to the list of people who watched Puppet Master for this challenge

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Hah, sorry friend, way ahead of you on the kaiju front.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Hollismason posted:

Lips of Blood to me is the Jean Rollins film that I recommend to people over The Living Dead Girl because the former explains perfectly what Jean Rollins films are about which is this weird nostalgic vampire film that never really existed except in a young Jean Rollins mind.

I actually haven't seen Lips of Blood, it's on my list but haven't gotten around to it. I'll have to fix that soon.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
8. La Chiesa

Demons 3 in Japan. A hallucinatory condemnation of religious fanaticism (particularly Catholicism). I feel like there’s a lot being said that went over me, which is due to my cultural distance from Catholicism but I think some of it might have been lost in translation. I like how sympathetic the film is to the destruction of the accused devil-worshippers at the beginning.

The Philip Glass song theme isn’t on the soundtrack, which is odd.

9. Phantasm V

I’ve slowly been making my way through the Phantasm movies over the past year or so and I’ve loved every single one. These movies constantly introduce new confusing ideas and it’s just great. Maintains that the series is concerned with death, which got a little lost in some of the previous installments.

Bizarrely appears to set up a sequel, even though there’s no way one could happen.

10. Caltiki: The Immortal Monster

Apparently Mario Bava’s first movie although there’s exists some debate about that. Great special effects work. Gorgeous lighting and some beautiful black-and-white cinematography. Has a visceral brutality to it I haven’t seen much in 50s movies. Would’ve really scared me if I’d seen it as a kid.

11. Prince of Darkness

I kind of loved this movie, but I don’t think I fully understood what happened in it. Liquid Satan (or Anti-God I guess) lives in the bottom of a church and takes over people by inserting some fluid in them so he can enter the physical world, I think? But there’s also someone, possibly also liquid Satan, sending message back in time to the characters from the future year 1999.

Carpenter does great direction and music as always and there’s some fascinating imagery. Alice Cooper’s fantastic in a bit part. Seemed to have some commentary on race and gender that I didn’t understand, but I think that’s because I didn’t really get what was happening.

Somewhat of a slow burn, but man is it a good one.

OK! Just two movies left. One a re-watch & one from a long-running series. (or they could be both, who knows)

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 9, 2018

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Almost Blue posted:

11. Prince of Darkness

I kind of loved this movie, but I don’t think I fully understood what happened in it. Liquid Satan (or Anti-God I guess) lives in the bottom of a church and takes over people by inserting some fluid in them so he can enter the physical world, I think? But there’s also someone, possibly also liquid Satan, sending message back in time to the characters from the future year 1999.

Carpenter does great direction and music as always and there’s some fascinating imagery. Alice Cooper’s fantastic in a bit part. Seemed to have some commentary on race and gender that I didn’t understand, but I think that’s because I didn’t really get what was happening.

Somewhat of a slow burn, but man is it a good one.

There are two different entities, the liquid in the jar is Satan, but just like Jesus he also has a father, the Anti-God. He is Satan's father and presumably the Ultimate Evil or whatever. Satan's goal is to create a pathway to this world so that his father can cross into it and take over or bring about the end of the world or something. The big red hand coming out of the mirror would be Anti-God(it's never specifically named in the movie). So all of the stuff with the liquid possessing the girl is Satan, not his father Anti-God..

The messages being sent back in time are sent by future humans who have figured out how to send information via tachyons or some poo poo. They send back the video of what is presumably Anti-God returning having taken possession of the main character's body after she fell into the mirror. It's a warning but obviously it was not successful.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

2. Timecrimes (2007)

Timecrimes is a very interesting film because it is a time travel movie where everything is very focused and small scale. The entire film takes place in two buildings and the forest between them, there is only a handful of characters some of whom don't even get names, the stakes are very low and personal for a time travel film, and most interestingly to me the time travel itself is only a couple of hours into the past. It's one of those films where the limits of the budget actually made for a much better film than if they'd aimed higher and tried to do something where the world is at stake.

The film follows middle aged schlub Hector who stumbles into becoming a time traveler after his wife goes to the shops on a quiet Saturday. It's very well constructed and everything fits neatly. Some of the story is very obvious from very early on such as the masked madman turning out to be future Hector but I'm not sure if it was meant to be much of a surprise.

It's like a good version of Primer.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
3. Prom Night 2

I feel like I wasn't able to give this movie a fair shake. Usually, when my daughter naps, I have time to watch a movie, play a game, whatever, but when I tried to watch this, she wasn't fully napping.

I didn't get to pay much attention to it. She was alternating between sleep and awake on a rapid scale, but my gut says I didn't miss much.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Endless
2018, dir. Justin Benson & Aaron Scott Moorhead | in theaters

Since this movie is currently doing a limited run, here's a synopsis:

Two brothers find their lives difficult and unsatisfactory ten years after they've escaped the "UFO death cult" that raised them. They receive a tape that shows the cult still alive and well instead of 'ascended' as they thought. They decide to visit the cult to get some answers, only to realize that there are only more questions waiting for them, including the validity of the cult's beliefs, Reality, Time, and Family.

I will try and keep my review spoiler-free, but I'm going to hide it anyway in case anyone is like me and likes to go in blind.

It feels important to know going in that this is a Lovecraftian story (minus blatant racism, of course). And not in the way that films like The Void are Lovecraftian because there are weird monsters in alternate dimensions eating people. This embraces fear of the absurdity, the unknown, the unseen, the mind-breaking terror that exists in our universe. The filmmakers feel the same way, apparently, and begin the film with a Lovecraft quote about the fear of the unknown. I had a friend see this before me, and he (correctly) said that it's not really a horror movie, but a psychological thriller. The film is more interested in the existential danger of the characters, not a monster hiding in the woods. For an appropriate comparison, this movie is more like They Look Like People and It Comes At Night, and less like The Thing or In The Mouth of Madness.

On a technical level, the movie is strong. There are a few noticeably wonky CGI moments, but most of the effects are solid and eerie. The cinematography and art design (especially with the more trippy aspects) stand out among it's peers (see above spoilers).

There are some moments where the script could have been combed and improved--most importantly in the first act when we are learning about the brothers, their relationship, and their issues coping with the real world outside of the cult as well as the final act during the climax and denouement. Part of this is purely in the script; part of this is from the lead actors having limited range. For being writers/directors/producers/actors, you can tell that they're a little stretched thin here. It doesn't help that the supporting cast is also very strong, especially the "cult leader" who's doing his best to be the next Giovanni Ribisi. Another major issue with the script is that its humor doesn't always work for the best. There are moments played for pure comedy, which normally I like, but it just didn't mesh as well in this story as was intended. It creates some awkward tonal whiplash. Not enough to leave a bad taste, but it definitely softens some punches that could have been really effective. There's also a few dumb choices, like naming the characters literally after their real names.

At the heart of the film is the question: Is it better to have an eternity spent in shallow bliss with people who claim to love you, or to live a finite amount of time full with great difficulty, but also free will and true human connection?

Overall, the experience is going to be polarizing, but I think everyone who gives it a fair chance will find interest in it's soft philosophy, suspense in the head games and the emotional themes at it's core more of a hit than a miss.

:spooky::spooky::spooky: .5 / 5. Recommended!

I haven't seen the directors' other films, but I'm going to check them out. I guess their film Spring is on Shudder. Fans of their film Resolution will be tickled by a few things in The Endless.

(Movie List)
10: As Above, So Below | Mirror, Mirror | Magic | Day of the Dead | Kill Baby, Kill | Tourist Trap | Five Dolls For An August Moon | The Shallows | Baskin | The Endless

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Basebf555 posted:

There are two different entities, the liquid in the jar is Satan, but just like Jesus he also has a father, the Anti-God. He is Satan's father and presumably the Ultimate Evil or whatever. Satan's goal is to create a pathway to this world so that his father can cross into it and take over or bring about the end of the world or something. The big red hand coming out of the mirror would be Anti-God(it's never specifically named in the movie). So all of the stuff with the liquid possessing the girl is Satan, not his father Anti-God..

The messages being sent back in time are sent by future humans who have figured out how to send information via tachyons or some poo poo. They send back the video of what is presumably Anti-God returning having taken possession of the main character's body after she fell into the mirror. It's a warning but obviously it was not successful.

Thanks! That clears up a lot. I'd assumed that they were part of the same entity in the same way Christianity regards God & Jesus as the same person & also two different people. Not sure how I got so mixed up on all that, but in my defense it was my fourth movie of the day so I think my capacity follow what was happening was kind of gone

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Almost Blue posted:

Not sure how I got so mixed up on all that, but in my defense it was my fourth movie of the day so I think my capacity follow what was happening was kind of gone

Eh. I think it's Carpenter's most confusing movie. It's dense and randomly dumps info on the viewer while still trying to maintain it's pacing. I've been meaning to rewatch it for a while now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Didn't catch this thread earlier.
Goal: 20 movies
Completing the top 25 of They Shoot Zombies, Don't They?
The Shining (seen this but not for 20 years), Night of the Living Dead, Rosemary's Baby, Dawn of the Dead (Romero), Bride of Frankenstein, Suspiria, Carrie, The Birds, Don't Look Now, and The Haunting.

3 French movies. Recommend stuff that isn't Raw or Eyes Without A Face.

1. Bad Samaritan
C
It's my own fault for not watching the trailer but this quickly drifts from home invasion to thriller and really let me down. Regardless of genre there's nothing new here. Watch The Collector for superior burglar horror and general insanity.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 10, 2018

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

11. Summit describes itself as a "crowdfunded, slow-burn, character-driven play on genre tropes." Translation: teenagers, woods, serial killer. There's a good idea here - the killer only actually kills one person and they turn on and blame each other, leading to the other two deaths,, but it takes a while to get there.

12. Reality Terror Night - Bikini models go to a haunted house to search for ghosts on a reality show. Second movie in a row with an IMDB under 3 that I've legit enjoyed. The acting is believable, the pace is solid, and the reveal is handled well. The villain doesn't get a lot of screen time, which is a bit disappointing.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Caught Living Dead Girl tonight, per Mouser's suggestion.

A wacky series of events involving grave robbers, toxic gas, and an earthquake bring back a beautiful young woman, Catherine, from the grave, turning into her a sort of vampire, craving fresh blood. In her hazy newly undead form, she flashes back over her life and gets in touch with Helen, her best friend for life, who comes to her aid and becomes a sort of reverse power-balance Renfield to her out of some nebulously defined sense of love (filial? familial? romantic? sexual? who knows!), bringing her victims despite Catherine being more and more reluctant to partake as she regains her senses.

I'm glad this was suggested to me, as it's been on my "get around to it" list for years. I'm honestly a fan of Rollin's work to tell the truth. Even when he's running cheapjack just trying to crank out a movie to make a quick buck, such as Oasis of the Zombies, there's still weird dream-like touches that mark his auteur style. This film is no stranger to that, or his penchant for mixing sensuality with desolation. Rollin tends to make downbeat films, and this is probably one of his most downbeat actually, with much melancholy and inevitable unhappy endings. My only complaint about the film are an English speaking tourist couple who seem to have stepped in from a completely different movie. They're not terrible, but they're much less interesting, and quite jarring to the whole film.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If loving Jean Rollin is wrong then I don't want to be right.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Choco1980 posted:

Caught Living Dead Girl tonight, per Mouser's suggestion.

A wacky series of events involving grave robbers, toxic gas, and an earthquake bring back a beautiful young woman, Catherine, from the grave, turning into her a sort of vampire, craving fresh blood. In her hazy newly undead form, she flashes back over her life and gets in touch with Helen, her best friend for life, who comes to her aid and becomes a sort of reverse power-balance Renfield to her out of some nebulously defined sense of love (filial? familial? romantic? sexual? who knows!), bringing her victims despite Catherine being more and more reluctant to partake as she regains her senses.

I'm glad this was suggested to me, as it's been on my "get around to it" list for years. I'm honestly a fan of Rollin's work to tell the truth. Even when he's running cheapjack just trying to crank out a movie to make a quick buck, such as Oasis of the Zombies, there's still weird dream-like touches that mark his auteur style. This film is no stranger to that, or his penchant for mixing sensuality with desolation. Rollin tends to make downbeat films, and this is probably one of his most downbeat actually, with much melancholy and inevitable unhappy endings. My only complaint about the film are an English speaking tourist couple who seem to have stepped in from a completely different movie. They're not terrible, but they're much less interesting, and quite jarring to the whole film.

Yeah the opening is pretty goofy, and I agree about the tourists. Glad you liked it!

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

12. Freddy vs. Jason (2003) - 3/5. Still pretty fun! Not much of a cross-over, though; it's really just a NoES movie. You could straight up replace Jason with a werewolf and barely have to change anything. There are a couple sort-of nods towards doing something with the childkiller vs. died as a child idea, but it really never goes anywhere and the movie ignores or rewrites just as much Jason stuff as it actually uses so who cares. No terrible dead space in the middle like Jason X either, it's actually pretty well paced. Lots of pretty good but not all-time great murdering, way better than F13 par for actually good jokes, etc.

On the other hand, minus a billion points for all the extremely bad and pointless Freddy voiceover narration to explain his evil plan as the opening, which is then re-explained by one of the kids when they figure it out anyway. Get the gently caress out of cinema forever with this bullshit.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Franchescanado posted:

Eh. I think it's Carpenter's most confusing movie. It's dense and randomly dumps info on the viewer while still trying to maintain it's pacing. I've been meaning to rewatch it for a while now.

That makes me feel a bit better if I'm not the only one. I think I'll love it even more on re-watches.

12. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Re-watch. Probably my fourth time seeing this? For some reason I’m a little surprised how this plays out each time I see it. I don’t know why, but I always remember the last 20 minutes or so in the house being much longer and Franklin dying way earlier. Maybe it’s just how that whole sequence feels.

Anyway, this movie is great. Definitely got much more of pro-vegetarian vibe this time around.

I’m always shocked at how few actors from this continued acting regularly, but I guess the experience of making this turned most of off that.

13. Phenomena

Re-watch. I think the first time I saw this I was somewhat disappointed as it wasn’t stylistically similar to Suspiria and Inferno. But now I adore this movie.

It’s so strangely beautiful and totally surreal. Jennifer Connelly is best friends with bugs and a chimpanzee. The music choices don’t always make sense. Donald Pleasance has an intermittent Scottish accent.

The ending owns.

The version on Amazon is weird. It’s the English cut but it has inserts from the Italian dub. But the subtitles just say “speaking foreign language” whenever they pop in. So I still don’t know what’s happening in those bits. Oh well. I need to get the blu-ray of this anyway.

Made it to thirteen! And fulfilled all the rules I set up for myself. If I watch more horror movies this month I’ll pop back in to write a few sentences about each, but I think I’ll go on hiatus for a bit.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 10, 2018

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
4. The Lost Boys

Extremely solid vampire movie, with a good cast, who all played their parts very well. Kiefer Sutherland is a very good punk vampire leader and is actually menacing in the role. I've not found very many vampire movies that I thought were A+ excellent, go watch it now, but The Lost Boys is definitely one of them. It's one of the better vampire movies ever made, but I still think Fright Night is just a touch better.

5. The Babysitter

This is an odd little film about a kid named Cole whose babysitter and her friends who want to sacrifice him for reasons. This isn't a bad movie, not by any means; it's got plenty of elements of comedy as well as horror, and I'll admit, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a parody or not. It's entirely possible that it's just a horror movie with some comedy.

There's plenty of blood to be sprayed around, but it's pretty well just for comedy. Thinking about it now, maybe The Babysitter is a comedy with horror elements. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that's what it is. Oh, hell, just go watch it and determine for yourself.

Next poster, you win a prize! The prize of telling me what my next movie is, as long as it's streaming on Amazon, Netflix, or Hulu!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Watch Monster House, I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Irony.or.Death posted:

12. Freddy vs. Jason (2003)

On the other hand, minus a billion points for all the extremely bad and pointless Freddy voiceover narration to explain his evil plan as the opening, which is then re-explained by one of the kids when they figure it out anyway. Get the gently caress out of cinema forever with this bullshit.

While I definitely agree that the useless recaps are monotonous and take you out of the movie, keep in mind that the majority of the mainstream audience that attended FvJ had never actually seen a Friday the 13th or Elm Street movie and just knew the characters from cultural osmosis. They marketed the hell out of it, and I remember it being a big deal for everyone to see it, even though they weren't really fans of either film series. That's why there's so much weird over-explanation in FvJ, the Friday reboot and Elm Street remake. It's not good, but it was probably intentional.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Leavemywife posted:

5. The Babysitter

This is an odd little film about a kid named Cole whose babysitter and her friends who want to sacrifice him for reasons. This isn't a bad movie, not by any means; it's got plenty of elements of comedy as well as horror, and I'll admit, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be a parody or not. It's entirely possible that it's just a horror movie with some comedy.

There's plenty of blood to be sprayed around, but it's pretty well just for comedy. Thinking about it now, maybe The Babysitter is a comedy with horror elements. In fact, I'm reasonably sure that's what it is. Oh, hell, just go watch it and determine for yourself.

I thought this was a decent movie, although like all comedies the humor is subjective and I know people who hated it and thought it wasn't funny at all. I laughed when the giant "WHAT. THE. gently caress." flashed on the screen. Not a great film, but entertaining enough. Better Watch Out came out around the same time and definitely the superior "kid is in love with his babysitter, something hosed up happens" movie.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
The Haunting of Morella (Jim Wynorski, 1990)
Produced by Roger Corman and I read this was him trying to rekindle his 60’s Poe adaptations. But no way can this match those for atmosphere, set design, cast and that perfect point between sincerity and campiness. Blame 1990, Jim Wynorski or money. It does do something that those earlier movies couldn’t, and that has something to do with the strangely similar body type of every woman on screen. B-

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Puppetmaster III: Toulon's Revenge

Really impressed with this one, just kinda blown away by the quality of the series as a whole to be honest. Am I close to the cliff here? Does the quality take a nosedive at some point? The characters in Toulon's Revenge are even better than the first two films, the central conflict between Toulon and Kraus is excellent. Guy Rolfe knocked it out of the park, and I'm glad it led to a more long term opportunity for him. He totally sells both sides of the character, the kindly older man and then the vengeful vigilante.

I love love love the puppets, they just get better and better in every sequel and the new additions are always welcome. And to whoever it was that ranked Pinhead as their least favorite puppet, get ready to feel like a shithead because my man Pinhead was a guy who was executed by Nazis for smuggling food into Jewish ghettos.. I knew I was a great judge of character!

As a period piece it's not 100% convincing(not a huge surprise given the budget), but the characters are compelling enough and the story moves briskly enough that it hardly matters.

Completed: 1. The Raven 2. The Last Man on Earth 3. The Mad Magician 4. A Dark Song 5. Dark Waters 6. Tremors 7. Tremors 2: Aftershocks, 8. Tremors 3: Back to Perfection, 9. Tremors 4: The Legend Begins 10. Tremors 5: Bloodlines 11. Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell 12. Ghoulies 13. Puppetmaster 14. Puppetmaster II 15. Puppetmaster III: Toulon's Revenge

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
3. It Comes at Night (2017)
I heard a lot of good things about this film when it came out last year, so I was excited to check it out. It starts off pretty strong, with great atmosphere and an intriguing mystery, but I thought it got weaker and weaker as it went on, until I was left wondering at the end what the point of it all was. It's not much of a horror movie, more of a psychological study of a family who are stuck in a terrible situation, except that I found the characters pretty uninteresting and they don't change at all over the course of the film. It's nihilistic as gently caress, too - I couldn't decipher much of a message other than "everything sucks, people are bad, and you're going to die horribly no matter what you do".

Technically it is really well-done - the sound design and cinematography were both excellent, but I just couldn't get on board with the plot or characters.

:barf::barf: out of :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Okay, took me a while to get around to watching Faust: Love of the Damned and posting, so here's a few in a row. Also, I made the (terrible) decision a few months ago to slowly work my way through all nine of the Children of the Corn movies. So I finished off the last three of those. Ugh...here we go. Rapid fire!

9. Faust: Love of the Damned 1/5
A guy makes a deal with the devil and becomes a low-rent Spawn. The dude from Wishmaster is in it and there's a big rubber costume Spawn guy with Wolverine claws and a ton of fetish sex and a tit puddle and this sure was a movie.

10. Children of the Corn 2009 0.5/5
Possibly the worst remake I have ever seen with some of the worst acting. The main couple are now an angry Vietnam vet and his angry wife who mainly just bitch at each other throughout most of the movie. Isaac has been recast as the worst child actor I have ever seen.

11. Children of the Corn: Genesis 1/5
I don't know what I'm doing with my life anymore.

12. Children of the Corn: Runaway 1.5/5
More tolerable than the past three, but still not very good. Barely a Children of the Corn movie. A woman who is an escapee from the cult lives on the run with her son, landing in a small Oklahoma town. Obviously, things catch up to her and then stuff happens. I think I'm broken now.

Bonus Mini Movie! Innsmouth (2015) ???/5
Stage One: "A ten minute HP Lovecraft inspired short film on Shudder? Neat!"
Stage Two: "The acting is...really bad."
Stage Three: "It's quickly becoming a Russ Meyere movie."
Stage Four: :magical::stonklol:

Thread, please help me regain my sanity. Ghoulies, Microwave Massacre, or Murder Party
No, John, you are the bad movies.

Several Goblins fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 10, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Yeah, bad news, Puppet Master 3 is really the high water mark for the series. It doesn't hurt the film that this was when Full Moon had a deal with Paramount for distribution (that would eventually fall through in the late 90s) which meant they were able to borrow the backlot and props and wardrobe for this film. I personally like Curse and Retro as well for different reasons, but yeah, quality isn't ever as high as it is here.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

While I definitely agree that the useless recaps are monotonous and take you out of the movie, keep in mind that the majority of the mainstream audience that attended FvJ had never actually seen a Friday the 13th or Elm Street movie and just knew the characters from cultural osmosis. They marketed the hell out of it, and I remember it being a big deal for everyone to see it, even though they weren't really fans of either film series. That's why there's so much weird over-explanation in FvJ, the Friday reboot and Elm Street remake. It's not good, but it was probably intentional.

It was definitely intentional, but if anything that makes me less forgiving. Not only did they do a bunch of pointless exposition, they deformed the characters to fit the cultural osmosis-based sort of gestalt understanding either one of those things would have been bad on its own, but at least made some sense - either give people what they expect or explain to them the difference between what they might have been expecting and what they're getting. The compromise of give people what you think they're expecting and also explain it to them is flat-out insane. More fundamentally than that, of course, if you're not willing to trust your audience you shouldn't make things. It is impossible to set the bar low enough for everyone and trying just makes everything suck.

On that note...

13. Friday the 13th (2009) - 0/5. Somehow despite this supposedly being a rewhatever we are still loving starting with a three minute long recap. Followed almost immediately by a character telling the story of the recap. I want to burn the world.

I was going to try to get past that and give it some credit for being sort of serviceable if uninspired until around the point where I was introduced to Jason's tunnel network/secret underground lair/prisoner storage area, at which point I gave up. This is boring and stupid. It's a movie that kind of tries to do its own thing with Jason, but its own thing is just "make him more like the average of every other 2000s slasher villain." There are no new ideas in this movie and no good executions of older ideas. Worst sin of all, it's not even weird. Looking back on the franchise I'm definitely not a fan and the average movie quality is pretty dire, but even the really lovely ones like III and VIII have a couple redeeming qualities and something that makes them stand out from every other entry. This thing has none of that, it's just the cultural osmosis version of Jason poured back onto screen which is boring as gently caress.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#1 Sunshine - 2007

A crew of scientists are sent to deliver some kind of nuclear payload to restart our dying sun. Along the way some spooky poo poo goes down. It has a really weird, old school, sci-fi vibe going for it and really dug that aspect. I also liked how the crew was shown interacting as a team of scientists, it came off as very real to me. It was pretty cool how sun worship as a religion seeps into the crew, manifesting in benign-ish and insane ways. I'm not sure how this flew under my radar for so long, but I'm glad I finally saw it.

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:/5

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#2 Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death - 1989

House 2's Bill Maher stars in this parody of cannibal movies and also Apocalypse Now. There's a lot of outdated feminist jokes and Bill Maher loving sucks, but there's some good boobs. So I'm torn. I don't hate it I guess, it'd be pretty good as a background party movie.

/5

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
#3 Spider Baby - 1967

I've known about this movies's reputation forever, but just haven't gotten around to watching it until now. Watching it I had that weird experience where you remember a bunch of movies you love because you're finally seeing one of their key influences. It's loving great, and I'm definitely going to watch it again in the future.

/5

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Took a slacker day today.

13. Headhunter - business people, woods, conspiratorial machinations. This was decent. The new recruits get taken out on a camping trip to test their willingness to win at any cost. Decent acting and it flows well.

14. Video Killer - When my reaction when the killer shows up at the end is "just kick his skinny rear end," your film has a fundamental problem. The killer primes his prey with creepy VHS tapes. Would've been better as a gif.

Resubscribed to Netflix because I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel on Prime.

15. Tremors: A Cold Day in Hell - Everything you could want in a Tremors movie.

16. Cult of Chucky - Everything you could want in a Chucky movie. Not as good as Tremors.

Leavemywife posted:

17. The Babysitter - I'd go horror with comedy elements. The Satanists aren't quite inept enough for true comedy. I liked it.

But on the "horror elements" thread, is Tremors really horror? If it's in the genre, I don't see how Jurassic Park isn't. (Yes, the answer is marketing.)

Just put on Ghost House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Tremors and Jurassic Park are both horror movies. Jurassic Park just happens to have Spielberg's "family approved" brand. Both have aspects of adventure films, but they're both monster movies.

• Locked thread