Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

homeless snail posted:

only 3rd rock from the sun JGL

long hair or short hair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

homeless snail posted:

only 3rd rock from the sun JGL

I never knew him then. TV is bad.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

I know everyone is arguing over the morals of asking random people to make art for a game, but isnt it just posters and graffiti?

It is, yes, but to me that doesn't change all that much. The way they're handling it--"make us completed work to our specifications and then we'll decide if we want to pay you"--is a bad way to do business and shouldn't be encouraged.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My question is: am I allowed to still like Joseph Gordon Levitt?

This is the first time that HitRECord has worked with a major company like Ubisoft, and I don't really know that it's what it was designed to do. I think as a platform for collaborations between independent artists, it's probably a pretty good thing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harrow posted:

This is the first time that HitRECord has worked with a major company like Ubisoft, and I don't really know that it's what it was designed to do. I think as a platform for collaborations between independent artists, it's probably a pretty good thing.
my understanding is normally they pay royalties and compensate everyone that contributes, this ubisoft deal isn't how it usually works

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Harrow posted:

It is, yes, but to me that doesn't change all that much. The way they're handling it--"make us completed work to our specifications and then we'll decide if we want to pay you"--is a bad way to do business and shouldn't be encouraged.

You know how much it costs to get access to all of this?
https://www.textures.com/search?q=graffiti
$120 a year.
You know how fast a professional artist can poo poo out spec work like that? multiple per hour. You can get a couple freelancers in for a week at a total cost of 5-10k and get all the spec street art you need. They are not doing this to find a new cheaper way of creating art assets.

Trust me when I say this is more time consuming and more expensive for them to do it this way.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 14, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

cubicle gangster posted:

I know everyone is arguing over the morals of asking random people to make art for a game, but isnt it just posters and graffiti?
As far as i'm aware he didnt ask for 3d models or anything to be custom created - graffiti photos and posters designs are the kind of thing some kids have a whole shitload of already so the idea that they're doing it to 'take advantage' is a bit of a stretch. Those kids would get a kick out of seeing something they did on the wall of the game. He didnt ask anyone to model assets or texture an entire piece of architecture.

That's not the point, the point is that someone who would be hired and paid to produces art in a professional capacity is not being paid to do this work now. You might say "but it's just background stuff!" but someone had to make that stuff and it should be someone who is paid a fair wage, has benefits, and can make a living doing it because that's the value in hiring someone. By crowdsourcing they're simply looking to replace an employee so they can avoid paying overhead (salary, benefits, cost to operate a physical location for the employee to work at, etc) lowing their bottom line to increase their overall profits.

This is late stage capitalism at it's worst. You might think this is an overreaction to someone as meaningless as a video game but look at what companies like uber are already doing to the economy.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That's not the point, the point is that someone who would be hired and paid to produces art in a professional capacity is not being paid to do this work now. You might say "but it's just background stuff!" but someone had to make that stuff and it should be someone who is paid a fair wage, has benefits, and can make a living doing it because that's the value in hiring someone. By crowdsourcing they're simply looking to replace an employee so they can avoid paying overhead (salary, benefits, cost to operate a physical location for the employee to work at, etc) lowing their bottom line to increase their overall profits.

This is late stage capitalism at it's worst. You might think this is an overreaction to someone as meaningless as a video game but look at what companies like uber are already doing to the economy.

You do realise that background art assets like this are nearly always farmed out to freelancers who dont get benefits or a fair wage, only paid for completed and approved work with a lot being thrown away? This has been the case for a decade.
Why shouldnt art students get a crack too, buying only a couple from a wider pool of people is better than getting 4 dudes who moved to indonesia to undercut local artists to do them all.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I really do believe that Ubisoft is trying to get *the fans* involved in BGE2, this is their strategy now. Platforms and communities.

The problem is 80% of millennials getting turbo-hosed by low wages, the "gig economy", and boomer's hellword late stage capitalism so this "community" strategy is, for better or worse, being received as a cash grab.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I really do believe that Ubisoft is trying to get *the fans* involved in BGE2, this is their strategy now. Platforms and communities.

The problem is 80% of millennials getting turbo-hosed by low wages, the "gig economy", and boomer's hellword late stage capitalism so this "community" strategy is, for better or worse, being received as a cash grab.

It's also likely the team's ambitions are outstripping what Ubi is willing to allocate to them and they're trying to pump the community for free art rather than scale back.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

haveblue posted:

It's also likely the team's ambitions are outstripping what Ubi is willing to allocate to them and they're trying to pump the community for free art rather than scale back.

Again - this method will cost them more than paying freelancers. That is 100% a fact. This is not the cheap or free method.
You are failing to consider the time involved in cleaning up all the poo poo they get and making it usable, sifting through them all and handling accounts to pay a wide range of people a small amount for what gets used (and tracking what gets used)

Read this -
https://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/who-built-that-video-game

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

It's also not just random background 2d textures, they're asking for produced music and radio segments. That's a hell of a lot more work, even if your only goal is "boring but tolerable."

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

cubicle gangster posted:

You do realise that background art assets like this are nearly always farmed out to freelancers who dont get benefits or a fair wage, only paid for completed and approved work with a lot being thrown away? This has been the case for a decade.
Why shouldnt art students get a crack too, buying only a couple from a wider pool of people is better than getting 4 dudes who moved to indonesia to undercut local artists to do them all.

Maybe... maybe the whole system is hosed up and no one should be forced to undervalue themselves and their talents because a CEO has investors to placate. Maybe capitalism is an ouroboros that will destroy us all.

e: "That's just how things are!" is a lovely excuse to exploit people and just shows how lazy and selfish people are. Things can change but why should they if we can all just shrug and say "welp that's just how things are!"

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 14, 2018

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Maybe capitalism is an ouroboros that will destroy us all.

What is this "maybe" business? It already has destroyed us!

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That's all well and good but getting up in arms at this particular thing is like protesting that capitalism is evil outside the rented house of a guy who just bought a second hand lexus. What the gently caress do you expect him to do about it?

Trying to get some of the outsourcing budget into the hands of young artists and creatives instead of funneling it to banana republic tax havens where the outsource shops set up is not the worst thing that is happening in the games industry.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

What's happening here is emblematic of what's happening across almost all industries in the wake of finance capital's interaction with tech 'innovation'. It's a force of nature at this point (what with the way platforms like google, etc leverage us as 'content creators'), but I fully support anyone who takes it to task if that's part of their personal code or set of principles and not simply internet grandstanding. Sometimes people need to flip the bird at practices or events even if they can't change anything.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

cubicle gangster posted:

As far as i'm aware he didnt ask for 3d models or anything to be custom created - graffiti photos and posters designs are the kind of thing some kids have a whole shitload of already so the idea that they're doing it to 'take advantage' is a bit of a stretch. Those kids would get a kick out of seeing something they did on the wall of the game. He didnt ask anyone to model assets or texture an entire piece of architecture.

I think you are over estimating how much time is spent on art assets like this. Having some kids send in posters and graffiti for the staff artists to place around does not save them much money or time at all. It's loving meaningless and there are services where you can pay $80 a month and get access to hundreds of royalty free assets to use. So yeah, poo poo like this is next to worthless within game creation. Some kid might really enjoy seeing a fake poster they did for class on a wall in the game though.

It's splatoon, but unlike nintendo Ubisoft wants to both pay you and let you retain your rights.

Mootallica
Jun 28, 2005

FanaticalMilk posted:

I don't think Rockstar has had an E3 presence since the Agent trailer. They are the one developer big enough to completely ignore E3 and not be any worse for the wear.

Did Take 2 show anything at all from their stable?
Admittedly I that's probably just RDR2, WWE and NBA2K19

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Would you feel the same way if they were offering pennies to people to crowdsource the programming? Hey guys, program a line of this game and we'll throw you a few dollars while we, the globe spanning mega-corporation will now fully own your work and all derivations of it forever and we'll also be the only ones getting 100% of the profit from the game!

I would actually laugh a loud guffaw because the idea would be so dumb.

Again, no actual competent programmer would be participating because, you know, not getting paid. So, yeah, a few thousand lines of code made by people who don't know how to code? Sure, great idea. Trying to integrate that mess into their baseline would cost them 10X what hiring a dev team would have.

Chanting 'value our time!' is nonsense. If your time doesn't produce anything of value then it has no value, or possibly negative value.

Now, if out of that mess of a coding effort someone with no experience or qualifications and no reason to be paid to code emerges as even just half-way competent well, now they have demonstrated that they can do work that has value. Guess what? Next time that person can get paid.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Diabetic posted:

They either have a ton of faith in these games or some of these are being shipped out then to die.

if all four of those make it to that date without being pushed back I'll be fuckin shocked.

My guess in order of most likely to be delayed to least likely to be delayed:
Metro (Based on some demo impressions this one feels like it still has the most work that needs to be done before launch)
Days Gone (if they all come out on that day, this is the one that's gonna get hosed the most, pushing it back into May/June might not be a terrible idea)
Crackdown (i know it's already been delayed a bunch but i feel like attaching a real date is a "no we're serious this time guys" move)
Anthem (if this gets delayed it will cost Activision so much fuckin' money and confirm everyone's worst fears, I think they'd rather push out an unfinished game than delay it)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Days gone is not getting pushed the game is done and already got pushed from fall to optimize. Sony doesnt care if it bombs. They put out tlg after black friday and gr2 up against several other games.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i don't have a firm grip on the timeline because this is years ago at this point but days gone really feels like it got greenlit at a point where sony wasn't sure if they were getting a tlou2 from naughty dog but once they were it was far enough in production and shown off enough that it wouldn't make sense to cancel it outright

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Days gone could have gotten some hype if it was all rabid forest animals instead of zombies.

Swarms of monster squirrels ftw.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Murgos posted:

Chanting 'value our time!' is nonsense. If your time doesn't produce anything of value then it has no value, or possibly negative value.

I feel like this is a common fundamental misunderstanding of capitalist spectacle. All labor produces value, it's just that under capitalism the laborers rarely, if ever, see the fruits of the surplus that is ideologically and tangibly (by force, law, or algorithm) withheld from them.

That being said, dead time also has intrinsic value. Time that is spent thinking/creating novelty/agitating/etc rather than engaging in the closed loop of laboring/commuting/relaxing/repeat is valuable in a way that exists outside of commodification.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Real hurthling! posted:

Days gone could have gotten some hype if it was all rabid forest animals instead of zombies.

Honestly yeah, it would be more unique and interesting if it was some virus that drives animals to kill people instead of frickin' zombies again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No one as of yet has attempted to adapt The Happening into a video game, which seems to me like a tremendous oversight.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
A game where you fight an evil Swamp Thing and his army of ents and triffids.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

No one as of yet has attempted to adapt The Happening into a video game, which seems to me like a tremendous oversight.

Katamari?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Real hurthling! posted:

Days gone is not getting pushed the game is done and already got pushed from fall to optimize. Sony doesnt care if it bombs. They put out tlg after black friday and gr2 up against several other games.

If that were anywhere close to true, they would've had it front-and-center in Sony's e3 show.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Diabetic posted:

They either have a ton of faith in these games or some of these are being shipped out then to die.

everything besides metro is being shipped off to die

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

univbee posted:

February 22nd is the release date of Anthem, Days Gone, Crackdown 3 and Metro: Exodus.

Late February isn't quite a dumping ground since they're pushing out the post holiday tail more and a lot of Feb/March releases are trying to capitalize on people going "what's next?" and picking up stuff like Nier and Horizon. That's probably as late as they were willing to push Anthem without bumping it to next FY and it's probably a good spot for Metro: Exodus. Days Gone and Crackdown and getting left to die though. Especially Days Gone considering it didn't even make the stage show.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

It really is funny how almost everyone seems to have had the same reaction watching that first trailer, where it looked like a cool game and then oh gently caress it's zombies. It's not just some meme that people decided on after the fact either--tons of people expressed it immediately.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sinteres posted:

It really is funny how almost everyone seems to have had the same reaction watching that first trailer, where it looked like a cool game and then oh gently caress it's zombies. It's not just some meme that people decided on after the fact either--tons of people expressed it immediately.
Yep.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I thought it was cool of the devs to show off like an hour of gameplay, even if it made me even less interested in the game. More devs should do that, like when KojiPro showed five different approaches to a single MGSV mission. The protagonist’s voice acting in Days Gone is good. That's the nicest I can be about it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I like the zombie animals. I don't give a rat's rear end about the Sons of Anarchy rejects.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

univbee posted:

February 22nd is the release date of Anthem, Days Gone, Crackdown 3 and Metro: Exodus.

I ain't buying any of these games so I'm good

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I legitimately forgot that they made a Crackdown 2 when I saw the reveal for the new one.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I ain't buying any of these games so I'm good

Same but trials rising is February, probably the same day because at this point why not.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Vakal posted:

I legitimately forgot that they made a Crackdown 2 when I saw the reveal for the new one.

The game is an abortion. They took the same map as 1, made it look ugly, and replaced all the boss areas and stuff from the first game with zombie nests. Its one of the worst sequels of all time

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 15, 2018

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Vakal posted:

It was terrible and it's the reason I can't bring myself to care about the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad hes having fun, at e3
https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1007423240011067392

• Locked thread