Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
  • Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

an actual dog posted:

I really hope devolover does something cool again.

My idea: Releasing a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

All Sony does at E3 is hourlong trailers, the difference is that it was all for games we already knew about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm trying imagine what surprise announcement would be really awesome and I can't think of any that are realistic. Maybe we'll see some Life is Strange 2, that would be cool. Hexen reboot at Bethesda would be a cool shocker. I'm more looking forward to brand new IPs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I hope they cool it with the celeb cameo fighters in MK11 because it was annoying seeing OP as hell Jason/Predator every other match instead of cool fun MK characters.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bluepoint doing Demon's Souls is a definite maybe but I think it's too early for a Horizon 2 announcement. I'm not even entirely sure Horizon 2 will come out this generation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Beyond Good & Evil has a huge cult following, a lot of people were really into that game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I donít think anybody knows what kind of game BG&E2 even is yet. There was that intro cinematic and some pretty demo graphics showcase promising freeform exploration ala NMS at last yearís E3 and that was pretty much it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

E3's profile was down for a few years and then it resurged bigly. Most unannounced and/or highly anticipated projects that aren't from megastudios like Blizzard get infodumped that week.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I thought the VG BAFTAs were cool to watch this year since they treated games like any other entertainment medium rather than embarrassing hobby (which it is but you don't always have to acknowledge it).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm hella excited for Life is Strange 2!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MS calling the fourth Forza Horizon 5 is the most legit thing about this leak imho.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really looking forward to From's new walking sim on depression and budding queer romance.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Unironically yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

PUBG managed to sell 30 million copies looking like a horrible piece of crap, you can bet the major publishers are looking into tearing into that $$$ by investing in slightly more overhead than "nothing at all."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

why do that when you can look into tearing into that $$$ by investing slightly less overhead than "nothing at all"

Fortnite but instead of building structures, 100 players get airdropped into a DOS prompt and have to code a battle royale game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mordja posted:

Realtalk: why, what do you care? If you don't care for them just don't play them, it's not like there's some dearth of non-BR games coming or anything.

Because money drives how publishers invest their money and where they invest it. If the games you like the most are primarily single-player driven experiences then you're already well acquainted with the mid-tier studio holocaust of the past decade and how every major multiplatform AAA release has homogenized into a few service-based MP shootman products. And no, the fact that good SP games still get released does not reverse the overall trend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rage 2 looks like whatever, people tend to be hypercritical over trailers when most of the time they're not even developed by the same people who actually make the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Maybe Devolver can really up the ante by releasing a good game this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Raged posted:

Which presentation would show Cyberpunk 2077? PC maybe?

If that Xbox one is their real presentation then lol.... just.... lol

CDPR has always had a good relationship with Microsoft so it's likely to be shown on the X-Box stage.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If Life is Strange 2 gets a reveal then it will almost certainly be at the Square-Enix event and not with Sony.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It was, but this year Square-Enix has their own floor show prior to E3 and Life is Strange is one of their most popular western IPs. It could pop up on a different stage but I think it will show there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Supposedly there will be gameplay on the EA stage this year, although we'll get an idea of how much actual faith EA has in Anthem depending on whether it's a headliner or sandwiched in between their indie dev kit demos like Andromeda was in 2016.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

after last year's "heh, sorry" at E3 for Battlefield being followed up by the BF2 catastrophe, it will be fun to watch EA pretend to give a poo poo. They've tanked the Dead Space/Mass Effect/Mirror's Edge IPs for good so besides sports games, Anthem seems like the only thing left. Their E3 presentation is a good time for a bathroom break.

I don't trust any corporation farther than I can throw them but at least with the Ubisoft, Nintendo etc. floor shows you have the impression that the people onstage actually like video games and love to make them for a living. EA's presentations always have that creepy dystopian vibe with language more becoming of some Silicon Valley techbro talk.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Didn't MS also play up their "longest E3 show yet!!" last year and it ended up being 20 minutes about Minecraft?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Bioware called their new game Anthem... but when it finally releases it will be more like... a Requiem.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

I guess we're getting an Origins sequel

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/statu...213917211455488

I liked Origins but man I hope this doesn't come out in 2018. Has Ubisoft learned nothing about series fatigue

Weirdly Odyssey was the exact name of the AC game on that fake-looking E3 press leak from a couple weeks ago.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I probably just remembered wrong. Dominanance sounds like a pretty plausible AC title though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

1. Coming of age melodrama.
2. Twist of the supernatural.
3. Hella gay.

Those are the only expectations, the story is free to go in any direction.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

[in EDF voice] Chicks with bows! Chicks with bows!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Since Ubisoft is so dedicated to preserving the canon of Assassin's Creed despite nobody on earth caring about it anymore I wonder how they would explain customizable assassin characters in-universe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ulio posted:

First AC female protag Aisha Tyler or im out.

drat this is such a good idea.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Watch Doggos.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hope springs eternal.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Minerva's Den was helmed by the same group of people who later broke off to form Fulbright Co. and produce Gone Home/Tacoma.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Oh god well that's the worst thing then gently caress

Yeah it's kind of a shame Fullbright had to work on a Bioshock game first but everybody comes from humble beginnings.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's very hard to care about triple A gaming when there are tons of double A and below games that are really, really good.

You should care because the AAA market has become increasingly homogenized to produce fewer and fewer titles that all fall into the category of multiplayer shootman games with a microtransaction model, with less and less room for high-quality, single-player narrative experiences. The fact that good games still get made in 2018 does not reverse this overall trend. It kinda sucks if you like primarily single-player games that don't look like horrible pieces of pixel art crap and are thinking about where the market will be in the future.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Capcom expects to spend zero dollars on anything and get 1000% returns so everything MHW did was totally in spite of itself.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The new Tomb Raider made a larger percentage of its budget back than the original film despite being a more modest hit overall. Believe it or not the 2001 movie was a $200 million production.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sunning posted:

Tomb Raider 2013 took five years to make, was rebooted twice, was delayed from 2012 to March 2013 for extra polish, and had a $50 million ad campaign. What do you think it is a fair sales expectation for a game that has this much effort put into it?

God only knows what Square was actually expecting but it's still like the 2nd or 3rd best-selling Squeenix game of all-time at ~11 million raw sales, and the Tomb Raider name is internationally popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I can't believe Tetris gets this much pomp in 2018

Tetris is pretty much the most perfect video game ever made.

• Locked thread
«3 »