Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That entire September-October run is the stuff of legend. One bomb-rear end title every single week, sometimes many more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

univbee posted:

Just certain editions, or any edition?

I think Gold edition and all super deluxe mega hype versions above that get early access.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Whatever the motivation it's still pretty scummy within the context of this greater trend toward outsourcing cheap contract labor over hiring an actual salaried employee. Ubisoft isn't some fledgling studio, they're one of the largest and most profitable video game publishers on the planet and can afford to employ dedicated artists for their time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Art assets are regularly one of the most expensive, labor-intensive and time consuming aspects of game development, this definitely isn't throwaway work they're asking for here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

How do you feel about games like Mario Maker and Little Big Planet in this context? While it's not exactly the same, the fact that you gain access to a massive amount of content that others have made is definitely a selling point that adds significant value to the product.

Giving players editing tools to develop creative content for an already feature-complete product that has paid a salary to the people who worked on it is completely, totally separate from commissioning fans to do cheap labor and reaping sales from an as-yet unfinished project. There is no comparison here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No one as of yet has attempted to adapt The Happening into a video game, which seems to me like a tremendous oversight.

• Locked thread