Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

COMMENCE A GRAND FIESTA FOR SADISTS AND PERVERTS

Pork Pro

the Orb of Zot posted:

Every year it feels like E3 is less and less relevant, and my biggest surprise is that Nintendo of all companies was the first one to realize they could just announce stuff when they felt like it via streaming. My second biggest surprise is that Sony + Microsoft haven't followed their lead and abandoned this increasingly obsolete garbage pile of hype and false dreams.

Why does it continue to live?

Sony has their own show, and they strategically use E3, TGS, GDC, PSX, etc to announce and build hype for things all year long. E3 is less and less relevant with respect to the industry just being too huge to house under one roof anymore, but it's still a big, dumb, embarrassing hype factory that generates talking points for the entire year. Sony and Nintendo at least know how to leverage that, not sure about Microsoft or the PC market though.

Still, it ebbs and flows with the console hardware cycles. People said E3 was dead when all they had to talk about was PS Move and Kinnect, but the first PS4 conference was some real deal poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

I would love a new Tenchu game. Also, I would love a Tenchu game made by Miyazaki.

That being said, I haven't for a second been convinced that's what they are making.

Gimme the fuckin reveal, E3. Give it to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

dear dumb bitch of a world,

GIVE ME NEW loving FROM SOFTWARE GAME REVEAL OR GO TO HELL

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

Really looking forward to From's new walking sim on depression and budding queer romance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Infinitum posted:

Hey guys are you ready to get loving MEME'd?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7eXH25_KC0

Terrible, terrible piece of advertising.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I'm desperate for new BR games... to fail and the fad be over ASAP

Edit: Radical Heights just crashed and burned, it begins

Is that the lovely Cliffy B studio?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

CharlestonJew posted:

yeah. the one-two punch of Lawbreakers and Radical Heights broke them it seems

Good riddance.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

exquisite tea posted:

Because money drives how publishers invest their money and where they invest it. If the games you like the most are primarily single-player driven experiences then you're already well acquainted with the mid-tier studio holocaust of the past decade and how every major multiplatform AAA release has homogenized into a few service-based MP shootman products. And no, the fact that good SP games still get released does not reverse the overall trend.

Basically this.

And the exact same consolidation has happened in film, too.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

eonwe posted:

battle royale games and mobas both need to die

BR was cool when the only game that was doing it was SOCOM, and an entire team had to share 1 closed-mic voice chat line.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

It's not exactly the same thing but TLoU Factions is the game that inherited the mantle from Spies v Mercs/SOCOM, and added in some Streets of Rage beat'emup chops as a bonus.

The best bet for that kind of thing going forward is if 2LoU comes out and successfully updates the paired-down 4v4 of Factions without loving up the formula with a bunch of bells and whistles and lootboxes and costumes and supermoves and skilltrees and ipad crossplay.

I doubt it'll happen since TLoU Factions was lightning in a bottle and I don't trust Naughty Dog to know WHAT they got right and WHY. But a goon can hope

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

I'd be into RAGE if it had zero FPS gunplay and was all deathrace driving.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

buglord posted:

Yeah I was less interested after seeing it. It screams of something youd rent for a weekend or nab when its $9.99 by this Christmas.

Games from the era RAGE released in were brown and industrial. Games now are brown and industrial but with blue and pink facepaint.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

DLC Inc posted:

man Titanfall 2 really is an anomaly. Perfect campaign, great multiplayer, fantastic progression system, everything free except cosmetics, multiple modes. Sucks that it got curbstomped the way it did

It's a masterpiece.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

AutomaticPrince posted:

I think the issue with Days Gone is that it feels like it was announced forever ago and it still might not be out by the time E3 2019 rolls around. It's been 2 years of hype for a game in a genre that's been showing some fatigue for awhile now. 2-3 years of the same clips and screenshots is gonna cause alot of people to go ugh enough of this loving zombie game.

It's an issue for alot of games at E3. I'm tired of Death Stranding already. The games are announced way too far out. Say what you want about Bethesda but to go from Fallout 4 announcement to conference at E3 to release within a 7-8 month period was perfect. I'm ok with announcements for games a year to 18 months out but there should never be anything like that Shenmue 3 disaster where people sat through some bullshit for a Kickstarter announcement and a few years later that game isn't even close to coming out.

Sony Bend is a smaller studio, that's just how it is.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

We can go further Sk8

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Ulio posted:

My brain exploded trying to decipher which Skate game this was.

5(S)6(K)4(A)7(T)3(E) HD Anthology

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

once again looking forward to

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Assassins Creed Rammers coming Spring 2019

rear end.CREE.AMMERS.

CottonWolf posted:

They only got this skilled through years of practice.

EA reminds me Lieutenant Marimow from The Wire who's basically sent in by bureaucrats to sabotage investigative units when they get too close to doing actual good work

I can't find video clips but anyone who's seen him on that show will know what I'm talking about.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Suspicious Cook posted:

Anthem's 6 second teaser states, "Something is out there. It wants to destroy us all."

I'm glad to see Bioware still hasn't bothered to learn how to create sympathetic, nuanced, or interesting villains and continues to hand us "bad things are gonna do bad stuff!"

Americans eat that poo poo up, see: communists/gangs/drugs/terrorists

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Real hurthling! posted:

Looks like bioshock but good

Pretty much this

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i assume we will get a new bioshock announced this year. i am kinda curious what they will do with it.

gently caress Bioshock. Put the whole series in the basement and then let Kilauea lava bury it forever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Dapper_Swindler posted:

jesus , the series wasnt that bad outside infinite being a weird stitched together mess.

I'm reflecting now and it was mostly all bad and mildly embarrassing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Holy gently caress yall, E3 is almost here!

I'm ready for disappointment

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Orv posted:

The most disappointing thing about modern E3 (what a thought) is that everyone, even Ubisoft, has moved away from entertaining train wrecks of presentations into carefully scripted, neutrally dull stage shows of "Here is game, here why game." Occasionally you still get things like hoopzgod but it's few and far between.

E3 is awful, but it's still the most wonderful time of the year. I have absolutely zero ability to concentrate on anything in life besides videogames between May 15 and June 15.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Quest For Glory II posted:

Bloodstained got us that 2D version that is really good so that's all that matters

I watched Nintendo and Sony's E3 from 10 years ago today

NINTENDO

This is the infamous one, the worst Nintendo conference in E3 history, and it's impressive how bad it is. Here are the games shown at the conference, in full and in order:

- Shaun White Snowboarding
- Animal Crossing City Folk
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars
- Raving Rabbids TV Party
- Call of Duty: World at War
- SPORE Creatures
- Wii Sports Resort
- Wii Music

That's all you get. There is, I poo poo you not, 22 minutes of nearly-uninterrupted talking from Iwata and Reggie about Nintendo's sales performance and philosophy. Having been about a year and a half since the Wii's launch in North America, it's clear that their intent going into the presentation was "People like Wii because of Wii Sports, so let's focus only on games like that".

The big announcement of Nintendo's E3 was: The Wii Motion Plus attachment. And they "demonstrate" it with Sports Resort, except that the demonstrations involve activities that largely could have been done with the regular remote. In no way do they show the "enhanced precision" of the motionplus, as actions like swinging and steering are in regular Wiimote games like, say, the original Wii Sports, and Mario Kart Wii.

Wii Music was their One More Thing, and like NintendoLand in 2012, Nintendo thought that Wii Music was going to be the game of the show. They spend about 12-13 minutes on it to close out the presentation. Obviously, everyone remembers Ravi Drums and the horrible performance of Mario 1-1. I'm not sure if people remember that THIS WAS THE BIG REVEAL Nintendo thought was going to be a megaton.

I should also mention that this was Cammy Dunaway's first E3 with Nintendo, where she talked about being a Busy Mom and hurting her wrist skiing which she then references 15 times over the next hour.

There's no Mario, no Zelda, no Metroid, no Donkey Kong, no Smash Bros, no Fire Emblem. Only brief mentions of Pokemon (and not even mainline titles but Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon Ranger). Just something to keep in mind when you prepare your "this is the most disappointing Nintendo conference ever" post for the 14th

SONY

A condensed list of Sony's presentation:

- Resistance 2
- LittleBigPlanet
- PS2 sizzle reel
- Ratchet & Clank: The Quest for Booty
- PSN sizzle reel (Crash Commando(?), Fat Princess, Flower, Pixeljunk Eden, PAIN, Ragdoll Kung-fu I'm not joking I'm serious, Siren)
- Gran Tourismo TV, a "content network" with shows like Top Gear
- PLAYSTATION HOME!!!
- Movies & TV on Playstation Store
- Resistance: Retribution (PSP)
- PSP sizzle reel (games like Locoroco and Patapon that are dead franchises at this point )
- DC Universe Online
- PS3 sizzle reel
- God of War 3 teaser trailer
- Infamous
- MAG

The only hardware announcement is an 80GB PS3 for $400 (boy times have changed)

DC Universe Online is announced in 2008... it doesn't launch until 2011. It looks ugly as gently caress.

This might have been Jack Tretton's first E3, he's extremely nervous and sweaty and has three bottles of water prepared for him on a table. He reads the teleprompter with all the genuineness of a hostage with a blindfold. God of War's teaser is just Kratos on a building and that's it.

Playstation Home brags about having special areas based on Uncharted and Resistance, there's footage of avatars jumping up and down and bowling. They wanted this to be as popular as Second Life, but it didn't even reach... first life!!!!!!

During the movies & TV demonstration they go to rent Dewey Cox from the store and there's only an SD rental available.

I'm sure there's a person out there who fondly loves MAG but this was not a very good game to end a conference on. They talk about how it will have 256 player battles, but don't have a live gameplay demonstration. The trailer looks boring and grey as gently caress. Also this was the era of everything looking boring and grey as gently caress -- Resistance 2 being the biggest offender. Apparently MAG lasted until 2014 before the servers shut down, so I guess it had some success, but most multiplayer games die off quickly when they have 8 v 8 battles, I dunno how you could possibly find a 256 player battle even on the first day of launch.

Of the two, obviously Sony's was better, but both were pretty dull and full of a lot of talking. This is JUST BEFORE the era when E3 conferences went loving buckwild (2009 would be Ubisoft w/ Joel McHale and Laser Tag, 2010 was Konami with luchadors and Mr Caffeine), so there was a lot more "E3 is for investors" stuff and talking sales and charts and graphs.

I remember E3 '08 being a real wet fart. Resistance 2 looked cool (loved the first game) but then I ended up hating it at release. I don't know what microsoft's show was like but I remember Warhawk was still the best thing on the PS3 and Uncharted 2 was shown off for the first time in December of 08??? so the Sony first-party studio beast had not woken up yet. MS was still doing pretty good but literally as soon as Uncharted 2 launched MS began a long rear end slide into self-destruction that culminated with Kinnect and XBone.

Crazy times. The PS4 gen has been drama-free in comparison. AND SO MANY GOOD GAMES!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

DLC Inc posted:

Capcom barely knows what the gently caress they're doing. I'm amazed Megaman 11 even got a greenlight. Stuff like RE7 being successful is almost by accident. A company so devoid of talent and quality control would be blessed to ever work with Platinum again, honestly.

Monster Hunter World is GameOfThisYear and has had amazing post-release support. I can also throw a hadouken in said game, as Ryu, with sound effects.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Electric Phantasm posted:

As cool as that is and as much as I love World I'm not dropping $8 extra for it.

The free monster updates are cool and enough for me.

It's free.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's still showing up as $4 on the store?

Was free during the Spring Fest, and that quest is offered free intermittently. I've never paid money for DLC in that game, which is part of the reason I love it so much.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

TY for posting this. It is so loving helpful.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Holy gently caress just gimme Soul Calibur.

I want to loving FIGHT over summer.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Are they remaking Twisted Metal as an online multi platform Battle Royale, or is that next year?

This or SOCOM BR would be a smart move. Combine the fanbase of either series with the BR marketing hypewagon and actually support the loving thing with money and marketing...I'm sure it could pay off.

Sony will do none of this.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Policenaut posted:

TLoU 2 will have a BR mode or something. Survivors on a massive scale.

Cursed post.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The multiplayer lead from TLoU1 left, so I have low expectations for the sequel multiplayer, tbh

TLoU multiplayer being amazing was a loving accident, and it has very little to do with the decisions of one person. UC3 and UC4 multi were bad. He also worked on those, but do you think they were bad because of him or because ND has no idea what they did right in TLoU Factions.

1 person does not a studio make.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

GANDHITRON posted:

SOCOM and the studio that made it , Zipper Interactive, are both dead.

I know Zipper is gone, but that doesn't mean SOCOM isn't still owned by Sony.

Hell, Psygnosis has been fully gone since 2012 and yet here we are with Wipeout Collection and VR.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Infinitum posted:

Metal Gear quadrilogy

Because it doesn't include MGS4

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Barudak posted:

Ghost Babel?

Actually a better game than V, for the record.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Hate Iga? What did he do to piss off Konami? Is it like a "burned bridges" kinda thing? To my recollection he was just kinda laid off outta nowhere, and I dont think his handheld games were a big budget crisis like Kojima.

Then again, Konami is fuckin crazy, don't need a reason.

In Japan it seems you are expected to fall in line and do one thing and one thing only, to perfection, until you occupy a coffin. This results in a fair amount of social cohesion given small land mass and population density, but it also results in stiff social penalties if people deviate from what is expected.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

haveblue posted:

Tetris isn't even worth playing if it's not in 4K

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Infinitum posted:

JJ Abrams is expanding into games with Bad Robot Games
https://gematsu.com/2018/06/jj-abra...bad-robot-games

Could be interesting

Lens Flare is back on the menu, boys!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Detective No. 27 posted:

There was a time where a zombie apocalypse shooter could carry it's own E3 conference but... That day's gone.

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Pork Pro

Sefal posted:

Hoping for a new Yoko Taro game announcement.

Yoko Taro and Hidetaka Miyazaki collab

• Locked thread
«2 »