Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Last season on Elementary...

Starring

Jonny Lee Miller as Sherlock Holmes

In Elementary's retelling of the Sherlock Holmes stories, Sherlock is a recovering drug addict, sent to New York City by his wealthy father to help him recover. In his time there, he has been working with the NYPD as a consultant on their most difficult cases, mostly by virtue of being too good of a detective to turn away.

Over the course of season 5, Sherlock began acting increasingly erratic: he slept more often, forgot appointments despite his eidetic memory, and near the end of the season he started speaking with a mysterious woman who turned out to be a hallucination of his deceased mother. This finally convinced him to see a doctor, and last we saw of Sherlock, he was slowly being inserted into an MRI machine to determine what is wrong with him. As of the end of the season, Sherlock has not let anyone know that he has been dealing with mental problems, not even Joan. It is unclear how his health issues will affect his relationships and detective work in the season to come.

Lucy Liu as Joan Watson

A former surgeon, Joan Watson left medicine after losing a patient and became a "sober companion" to recovering drug addicts. Her time with Sherlock has shown that she has a knack for detective work, and she has since set up her own agency to take on her own cases in addition to her work with the NYPD.

Joan's story in season 5 centered mainly around her work with Shinwell Johnson (played by the late Nelsan Ellis), a former enforcer with the notorious South Bronx Killers gang, or SBK. After SBK duped Shinwell into murdering his best friend, he swore revenge on the gang. Joan and Sherlock worked to turn Shinwell into an informant so he could help take them down, but he was unfortunately killed near the end of the season. Reeling from his death and Sherlock's odd behavior, Joan made a ruthless deal with the head of the rival gang Mara Tres in the season finale, which allowed her to obtain the evidence she needed to put SBK's leader in prison in return for essentially allowing Mara Tres to torture and kill him there.

Jon Michael Hill as Detective Marcus Bell

A detective with the NYPD with the rare distinction of Sherlock's respect. While he gets along well with Watson, he and Sherlock have never quite had what one could call a friendly relationship. That said, both he and Sherlock have great trust and respect for each other, and they have worked together on numerous cases.

In season 5, Marcus began dating an assistant district attorney named Chantal Milner, which brought him into conflict with her ex-husband, Roy Booker. Marcus fended off Roy's attempts to sabotage Chantal's career and their relationship, but near the end of the season, Chantal was assaulted and badly beaten. Though the evidence intially pointed to Roy, he was later found murdered in a staged suicide, and it was revealed that his murderer beat Chantal in an attempt to frame him. During Chantal's recovery, Marcus told Joan that he hated hospitals because his mother spent significant time in one after a car crash, but later admitted to Sherlock that her time in the hospital was actually caused by an abusive relationship.

Aidan Quinn as Captain Thomas Gregson

The captain of the NYPD's 11th precinct, Gregson is the one who first brought Sherlock on to help with homicide cases. Like with Bell, he and Sherlock are not friends, but Gregson sees Sherlock's potential and is the first to defend him when other officers mock or distrust Sherlock's investigative style.

While Gregson's personal life does not come up often in the show, he has been shown to be dating a former police officer named Paige, who has multiple sclerosis. In season 5, while doing a favor for Paige, Sherlock found that she was having financial troubles due to the cost of her treatments, and encouraged Gregson to marry her so that she would be covered under his insurance. Despite his annoyance at Sherlock meddling in his life, Gregson proposed to Paige and she accepted.

Other Characters

Natalie Dormer as Irene Adler/Jamie Moriarty

The love of Sherlock's life and the former head of a criminal empire that spans the globe, Moriarty has been imprisoned since the end of season 1. Though she has appeared very occasionally since then, for the most part Natalie Dormer's work on Game of Thrones has prevented Moriarty from being a major force on the show. Now that Dormer is free, will season 6 mark Moriarty's triumphant return?

John Noble as Morland Holmes

Morland is Sherlock's father, an obscenely wealthy business consultant whom Sherlock detests. After Sherlock relapsed to his drug addiction in season 3, Morland returned to New York to monitor his son, and was the major focus of season 4 (as well as the target of many exquisitely crafted insults from Sherlock). Season 4 ended with Morland being offered the "position" of head of Moriarty's criminal empire, which he accepted with the goal of dismantling it from within. However, he did not appear at all in season 5, and it is not known if he will return to the show.

Ophelia Lovibond as Kitty Winter

An apprentice that Sherlock took on in season 3 while he and Watson were apart, Kitty showed a similar aptitude for detective work. However, in the course of her work with Sherlock, she found the man who had raped her years ago and killed him, then fled so that both she and Sherlock could not be connected to the murder. She appeared once in season 5, but it was strongly played as a farewell, and it seems unlikely that she will appear again.

Rhys Ifans as Mycroft Holmes

mycroft is gross go away mycroft
(thanks Pick)

Desmond Harrington as Michael Rowan

A new character in season 6, Michael is an addict who was inspired to stay sober by Sherlock at Narcotics Anonymous meetings. Sherlock will meet Michael in the premiere, but it is unclear as of yet how their relationship will proceed from there...

And last but not least...
Clyde as Clyde

Elementary premieres Monday, April 30th at 10pm on CBS!

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yesssss!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Excellent OP too

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What about Alfredo?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Looking forward to finally seeing Clyde's return after a notably major lack of Clyde sightings in S5.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Mraagvpeine posted:

What about Alfredo?
Alfredo seems to have quietly disappeared from the show (I don't think he appeared once in S5) and he's not a major storyline character the way the others are. If he shows up again I can add him back to the OP.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Alfredo seems to have quietly disappeared from the show (I don't think he appeared once in S5) and he's not a major storyline character the way the others are. If he shows up again I can add him back to the OP.

Elementary wiki says he appeared in one episode in early season four and that has been it for him.

The character I'm most interested in seeing back is that crooked detective who's been Watson's rival ever since Watson beat her in an off-screen boxing match in her first appearance.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

Elementary wiki says he appeared in one episode in early season four and that has been it for him.

The character I'm most interested in seeing back is that crooked detective who's been Watson's rival ever since Watson beat her in an off-screen boxing match in her first appearance.

That was Detective Gina Cortes and we didn't see her in S5 either.

A lot of recurring characters played by actors and actresses who aren't exactly in demand have nevertheless disappeared and tbh it's gotten sort of conspicuous, to the point where I wonder if there's something particularly hard about working on this set that means that bit part people tend to bail. I don't mean it in a conspiracy sense or #metoo or anything, maybe the director just has higher standards than whoever runs this week's Netflix schlock.

S5 was the most obvious, but let's count our missing peeps:

+ Gregson's wife sort of disappeared even though the show made it seem like an arc was starting there
+ Gina Cortez disappeared and that definitely is a hanging thread
+ Watson's other rival, rich Elana March (died abruptly)
+ Watson's boyfriend (killed off abruptly)
+ Sherlock's girlfriend (dumped abruptly)
+ Miss Hudson disappeared
+ Alfonso where are you
+ Mycroft stay away Mycroft
+ Morland come back Morland
+ Clyde??
+ Lestrade disappeared (but his arc was pretty well done so I approve of his tale told)
+ Gregson's new wife with MS
+ Coroner guy (proper send-off, imho this guy isn't a super great actor though so it was for the best)
+ Sherlock's Mathematics Friend (I liked this guy)
+ Kitty Winters' last episode was very much framed as a goodbye
+ Andre Bell, Detective Bell's brother hasn't shown up
+ Osmia avoseta
+ Watson's half-sister and her mother and her dad

I mean clearly it's a thing the show does that's about more than the actors because, uh?? Clyde??

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 28, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If sherlock is lucky his brain tumor will have scheduling problems and wont be back either

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think I saw an episode description that says that Watson's sister returns.

LaptopGun
Sep 2, 2006

All I'm going to get out of him is a snappy one-liner and, if I'm real lucky, a brand new nickname.
I barely have any memories of Candis Cayne as Miss Hudson on the show. What did she have, like 5 episodes where she was on and a couple mentions about cleaning up the brownstone in other episodes? (Edit: 3 episodes, and I had to look up I even had the right actress). She didn’t end up being important. Ms. Hudson Is such a minor character that the wiki Wheat Loaf linked to doesn’t even have a standalone character page for her. Perhaps the writers had to make a concerted effort to differentiate the show from Sherlock that they opted to just drop the Miss Hudson dynamic from the show. Candis Caine isn’t in a ton of projects.

I’m beginning to think you guys are right. This show has a recurring character problem.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It would be different if those recurring characters sucked, but most of them, except Mycroft, were compelling and a great addition to the universe, except Mycroft.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Elementary S6: Still hating on a guy from four seasons ago

(because he's gross and deserves it)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's a thing I've noticed in a few other shows. For instance, I watched all of Miami Vice recently and it's really striking how in season one, the police station is bustling (side note: I'm pretty sure that in real life, Miami police detectives weren't allowed to wander around the office barefoot wearing short shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a shoulder holster) then by the fourth and fifth seasons it's occupants are pretty much the five main detectives and a couple of extras in the background.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's a thing I've noticed in a few other shows. For instance, I watched all of Miami Vice recently and it's really striking how in season one, the police station is bustling (side note: I'm pretty sure that in real life, Miami police detectives weren't allowed to wander around the office barefoot wearing short shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a shoulder holster) then by the fourth and fifth seasons it's occupants are pretty much the five main detectives and a couple of extras in the background.

I'm wondering if it's budgetary. Shows decline in ratings with time, they get less cash for regular characters. And we were slightly surprised when Elementary got S6.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think the writers were too. And season five definitely ended with a hook to make the audience likely to complain if it was not renewed again. Season three had such a hook, I don’t think that season for particularly did? In fact, it seems like the season four ending was sort of a presumed wrap up.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sincere thanks for the character recaps, it's been a really long time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Once they're finished with Elementary, the folks who make it should do a new take on Nero Wolfe.

Seriously, Chi McBride with extra padding under his clothes as Wolfe, it would be perfect. You could even reuse all the sets you have for Elementary.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Pick posted:

+ Coroner guy (proper send-off, imho this guy isn't a super great actor though so it was for the best)

He came back in episodes 6, 8, and 19. Easy to forget though, since episode 6 was when the Chantelle side-plot started.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think the hacker kid, Michael?, got more appearances than all the other recurring characters.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
After Jeremy Brett's, this is the best Holmes adaptation.

My top 3 are:
  1. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  2. Elementary
  3. House

They've done a good job of keeping the quality up, too

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I checked out in the middle of Season 4, did this show ever stop having to make every single case a murder investigation?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Not really, but you really want to see through season four, because the quality stay pretty high and the pay off for that season in particular is extremely good. (And I would argue that was probably the intended conclusion to the show, though it would’ve been written a little bit differently if Natalie Dormer could’ve been there. Particularly because Morland's fate never being discussed in Season 5 except for one lampshaded line is borderline comical.) I still like season five, but nothing actually happens in terms of the greater arc of the show. There are still some great episodes but the characters mostly are who they are, although part of that is that Sherlock's arc is very subtle and only comes to a head in the last two or three episodes of S5.

In some, the murder is so perfunctory and unnecessary you're not sure why they added it right near the end of the episode because it would play out identically ("The Female of the Species").

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 28, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Accretionist posted:

After Jeremy Brett's, this is the best Holmes adaptation.

My top 3 are:
  1. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  2. Elementary
  3. House

They've done a good job of keeping the quality up, too

I agree, let's celebrate by listing some of our favorite episodes to get us back in the mood!

• The Leviathan: This is one of the ones where the murder is irrelevant. It's engaging and a ton happens on the mystery level, character level, and show-arc level. I'd argue it's also one of the episodes that underscores that Sherlock is not a genius simply because he inherently knows every single fact ever because he's the supery-dupery smartest guy EVER, but that he knows how to find the information he needs and apply it.
  • M: The first part in a series of fakeouts about the identity of Moriarty, Vinnie Jones plays a credibly threatening part.
  • Déjà Vu All Over Again: This is one of my favorite instances ever of re-contexualizing a problem to get the right solution.
  • Snow Angels: This episode is mostly fun, but it is fun! :haw:
  • A Landmark Story - Heroine: This episode set contained the roller coaster of the end of Season 1 and it owned and it was good.

• On the Line: Most of the episode is Sherlock undoing what he did, which is interesting, plus a sort-of happy ending!
  • The Diabolical Kind: Remember when Moriarty used to come back? This episode is the real meat of the Sherlock and Moriarty dynamic.
  • No Lack of Void: I like when the show also takes something big and deflates it, this is one of those episodes and I thought it worked successfully.

• The Five Orange Pipz: I thought this one was super clever and it's another case where a more grandiose conspiracy is in reality much smaller.
  • Just a Regular Irregular: The one with the "math game" and it goes over Sherlock's relationship with his contacts, which I appreciated, and there's good character meat here. Also, the math game setup is great AND it turns out the motivation was inspired by a thing that did absolutely happen.
  • End of Watch: Another follow-the-money episode where what you have to think about is the cultural context of the crime (cool).
  • The Illustrious Client - The One That Got Away: This two-parter did Kitty's arc justice imho and was overall satisfying considering how it had been led up. Actually the season-end arcs tend to be good, even in S2 because Mycroft went away forever.
  • When Your Number's Up: Is this the only one-off where we know who the murderer is immediately? Practically a different POV episode.
  • A Stitch in Time: One of my absolute favorites, and another where the murder is completely beside the point and actually might be forgotten about 10 minutes in. Why mess with one cable?

• Season 4: Every single episode with John Noble in it, definitely including Murder Ex Machina
  • Up to Heaven and Down to Hell: Also this one, which was in reference to a Citigroup building

• Worth Several Cities: High-stakes adventure episode
  • Be My Guest: Sort of touches on a question you always have about criminals who work in pairs. Happy ending episode also.

There are other great ones too but these are coming to mind most easily. It's easiest for me to remember S1-3 episodes since I've seen them most often (all at least twice, I've only seen S5 through once).

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 28, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Tomorrow!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Today!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Called it the first time he showed up :smuggo:.

Some great acting by JLM in this one.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm going to keep posting to make it seem like more people still watch this show, and maybe encourage TVIV posters to remember that also. It exists! It's good!

Anyway, spoiler time, but it's for a bigger phenomenon of the show, but involves S6:

Ever heard the phrase "Go big or go home"? Elementary did the smart thing, which is to say, it went home. Home to New York, home to smaller season arcs.

Season 5 was a local gang leader, and Season 6 will be a New York serial killer. I think, goofy as some aspects of the latter are bound to be, this is a really smart move. A lot of shows get caught up in trying to one-up every former season that they get, well, extra stupid. Dexter, source of our new character, is a good example. (And I imagine this season will be at least in part a takedown of Dexter, since I don't think that this show is written by people who'd have a great opinion of it.)

Elementary has always been really careful about its scope. Which is still huge, admittedly. But the biggest "force" has always been Moriarty and her empire, with Sherlock's father as a rival fish. And there's a case to be made that Morland was always Biggest Shark. I mean, that's strongly suggested in Season 1 (Episode 1...), and I think they thought Season 4 was going to be the last season, hence Morland showing up. And I think the Season 4 conclusion, sans Dormer, was probably the intended Big Arc Ending of the show.

And that's ok! Season 4 owns!

But I admire that they resisted the urge for Sherlock to suddenly get a phone call in Season 5, Episode 1, where he hears a 15 second Dormer voiceover. "Sherlock... I have a warning for you... you and I were always rivals... but did you know, I had a second rival? Some call her the... Super Moriarty. They say her base is on the dark side of the moon, and she controls the criminal aspect of the entire solar system. *click*"

Instead, they let the Big Arc Ending be, well, the Big Arc Ending. It's like in the Mass Effect games, when you can save the universe, and then go back and collect 15 Hams for some random rear end in a top hat who wants 15 Space Hams in exchange for some piddling number of space monies and +50exp.

I contend that this was a good idea, especially with the show's longevity in jeopardy. Make sure you do the big payoff, and ok, oh look, we have more time. Okay, let's play with the characters, and have a cool time in New York! :buddy:

So it doesn't bother me that they went from Global Crime Empire to "sherlock haves brain porblams" and "he new friend kill like racecar". Focusing on the characters at this stage is smart, and keeps the stakes at the right level for the show to wrap up without cliffhangers. I sort of hope this season is a fun sendoff and everyone is happy and Sherlock and Morland have a birthday treasure hunt episode and, gently caress, okay, Mycroft can come too

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Pick posted:

gently caress, okay, Mycroft can come too
Careful now, let's not say things we can't take back.

But yeah, this episode was pretty great and a pleasant surprise, since I felt like the show was kind of starting to lose steam in S5. Not only did we get some real emotional and human moments from Sherlock, the episode also had some quality :iceburn:s the likes of which we hadn't heard since we last saw Morland. The mystery was a little eh, but they can't all be winners, and it wasn't really the point of the episode anyway. Besides, everyone should have known from the start that Brett Dalton can't not be evil.

I'm intrigued to see how Michael factors into things, and I agree that keeping the focus on a personal level is a good thing. When you feel the need to raise the stakes every season you end up with Castle, and nobody should ever go full Castle. I just hope the show can keep things interesting in the weekly cases, since there were some weak ones last season.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I can't remember why I entered this room :(

I demand that Sherlock have a secret sister in a more secret prison because she can mind control people since she is super smart :v: Raise the stakes in the most stupid ways possible every season!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Calling it now: The series ends with Watson becoming a lumberjack.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I demand that Sherlock have a secret sister in a more secret prison because she can mind control people since she is super smart :v: Raise the stakes in the most stupid ways possible every season!

Only if he also has a childhood best friend who he extra super double forgot, but remembers as a dog (because ?????).

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Loved the episode. I'm intrigued by where they go n with his illness and his ability to be Sherlock.

Disappointed Clyde did not make an appearance

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Does anyone the gif of the "I don't care which cock I'm holding" scene from one of the early seasons? There are a lot of those two-second one-line tumblr gifs of the scene on GIS, but I remember there was one that had the whole scene. Mostly I remember that the gif captioned Sherlock's trying-not-to-laugh face with "*LOL on the inside*" and it always made me giggle like an idiot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Slamhound posted:

Calling it now: The series ends with Watson becoming a lumberjack.

I hope the series ends with a post-credits scene where Bill Murray shows up at Watson's apartment with a fancy 70s vintage radio which sounds suspiciously like John Forsythe and says it wants to talk to her about "the Angel Initiative".

Phi Fi Fo Fum
Dec 28, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does anyone the gif of the "I don't care which cock I'm holding" scene from one of the early seasons? There are a lot of those two-second one-line tumblr gifs of the scene on GIS, but I remember there was one that had the whole scene. Mostly I remember that the gif captioned Sherlock's trying-not-to-laugh face with "*LOL on the inside*" and it always made me giggle like an idiot.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

One of the best Clyde related things in Elementary.

Season 3 episode 19

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Man, I love that even in the most dire situations, some things never change...

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Man, Sherlock really attracts a certain type of person doesn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
At least I don’t think he’ll be kissing this one, although I suppose it’s not completely off the table.