Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Lord Bude posted:

It's a weird thing to need to have a discussion about. Like why wouldn't Sherlock just be Mr Holmes, like any other adult friend of your parents, or your friends' parents?

Sometimes people have an Uncle or and Aunt who's a friend of the family and not related by blood or marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
We had one who went by both Uncle first name and Mr last name. It would have been fine if only we had known what his first and last names were.

Also pretty solid episode, kinda like an anti-bottle episode.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Clyde had a spa day :3:

That was an excellent episode.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Good episode. I was craving some Clyde and I love secret heists.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Clyde being up front right out the gates made it a good episode from the very beginning.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
I appreciated how quickly they disconnected that many rack mounted servers (which were erroneously referred to as "towers" but that's exactly on point for how management would probably refer to them), and how the server closet that contains sensitive information about undercover cops is literally in a closet in a public hallway.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
From what I understand, and what I think you're getting at, that's basically how seriously people take security like... everywhere that isn't built to withstand a nuclear blast. A jump drive that's labeled: sherlock's vacation pics, DO NOT LOOK. found on the steps of the precinct.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Looks like a new episode tonight and another tomorrow, for some reason.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wtf

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

GreenNight posted:

Looks like a new episode tonight and another tomorrow, for some reason.

What's more it seems the one tonight is going to be 20 minutes late.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Interesting that they used editing to give the audience a clue early on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was doin some quick worldhelpy stuff down in guatemala not long ago and yeah whooooph guatemala. I'm glad Elementary is a show that cares about serious issues, real issues. They fictionalize only a very small amount in those respects.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

"What's one phone call every two to three years" was such a good burn.

And...now for a sex doll case.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Their banter is the best banter.

And I love Sherlock's Judo-action last week. It just comes out of nowhere and everyone looks so surprised

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Accretionist posted:

Their banter is the best banter.

As much as I enjoy it, I have to concede that Sherlock and Marcus is only a very strong 2nd place.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I loved how condescending they were about the "girlfriend experience AI" that is just a lovely chatbot about banging :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Is he teleporting a chocolate bunny?

lol the final scene.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Pick posted:

I loved how condescending they were about the "girlfriend experience AI" that is just a lovely chatbot about banging :allears:

"It's like a horny Alexa" got a good laugh out of me.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

CellBlock posted:

"It's like a horny Alexa" got a good laugh out of me.

Yeah and it was also the second episode directed by JLM.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I enjoyed the little twists and turns of this week's mystery but the B plot was pretty predictable. That being said, I liked Michael so I'm glad he's back.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Good science in this one, it's basically right. And they are working on that.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I liked Sherlock’s threat to jump in and grief the Eve Online game :o:

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Aidan Quinn reminds me of Paul Manafort and I want to see him recreate this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMFdf9cjJLI

Bonus points for Watson as the anchorwoman and Sherlock and/or Bell as the Why The gently caress You Lyin guy.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr. Sepi Chamanara (Azita Ghanizada) really dragged this episode down for me. I hate that kind of character that's all "emotions are just biological reactions and I am a scientist/robot".

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Dr. Sepi Chamanara (Azita Ghanizada) really dragged this episode down for me. I hate that kind of character that's all "emotions are just biological reactions and I am a scientist/robot".

I got the sense that she was supposed to be like Sherlock at the beginning of the show, and thus we would know she was full of poo poo.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So, I was able to figure out a large chunk of the mystery fairly early on, there was an outside force murdering people to give credence to this guy's predictions, probably to sell something of his but I got kind of shook once they watched the security tape.

Oh well. Googling for Edward F. Dolan has him as an audio engineer who recently passed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This episode was mostly excellent but a couple of things dragged it down for me.
  1. Sherlock and Joan should have been able to come up with a plausible explanation for how someone could be forced to jump off a building without the murderer being visible on camera. They could have just made a credible threat against that person's family, for example. The mind control drug is an overly-complicated and contrived solution.
  2. There was no need for any actual murders. The predictions could easily have been written after the people died. No one was checking them in close enough detail to see if it was all in the same handwriting, so it wouldn't even have had to be a particularly convincing forgery. It would have been more satisfying to me if the brother had died of an accidental overdose as they claimed and they found his predictions while going through his things and added a few more.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
The simulation must be breaking down--Sherlock's obituary said he would die on August 30th but Joan and Marcus were wearing winter clothes and hats when they were investigating the roof :tinfoil:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

The simulation must be breaking down--Sherlock's obituary said he would die on August 30th but Joan and Marcus were wearing winter clothes and hats when they were investigating the roof :tinfoil:

Hahaha that was my favorite part too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I can't believe the season is almost over.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It is going to be hilarious if they never catch the serial killer guy

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Watching some older episodes I must say, I like the detail of Sherlock dressing better as the series advances.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Dennis Aderholt looks very strange without his mustache.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The look on Sherlock's face of outrage and shock when he yelled "you're annoyed by me" slayed me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm really mad that they included any plotline where a female grad student really wanted to get with her prof because I have personally known way too many women who left academia over problems relating specifically to that mistaken impression.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Was it ever mentioned why the FBI was involved? It was so strange that I was wondering if it was going to be a plot point.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Maera Sior posted:

Was it ever mentioned why the FBI was involved? It was so strange that I was wondering if it was going to be a plot point.

The accomplice made a random demand to the parents.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

Right, thanks.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
They need to bring that smart-rear end parole officer back for more appearances.

"Can you think of any reason he would need help from an applied mathematician?"

"Someone asked him what 2 + 2 was"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hypocrisy posted:

Good thing they kidnapped a math genius