Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Love that you have a little forest tucked behind your hot water heater!

Copacetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Another plant identification request..! I've noticed whatever this is growing like a weed at a few places where I am. This huge bush is near my work and the other photo is one that someone else took of the same thing at a younger stage. It has a really nice anise-like aroma similar to fennel but more lemony. Tried to search around about other anise-scented herbs but haven't been able to find anything quite like this.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Dill?

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
If that's dill its a monster :stonk:. There was something like that in my parents' back yard, my dad said it was a flower of some kind. Might be something completely different from yours though. I also found this in the same back yard:

After two days of digging and tilling (emptied out 25 years' worth of compost) this land is ready to accept the tomato plants my sister has no room for.

And in the crawlspace...

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Definitely not dill. I may never be able to follow the one at my work to flower because the neighborhood farmers went down the streets today spraying weed killer all over the unused lots.

Instead here are some happy tomatoes and a tiny watermelon that grew out of my compost.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

guri posted:

Another plant identification request..! I've noticed whatever this is growing like a weed at a few places where I am. This huge bush is near my work and the other photo is one that someone else took of the same thing at a younger stage. It has a really nice anise-like aroma similar to fennel but more lemony. Tried to search around about other anise-scented herbs but haven't been able to find anything quite like this.
It looks pretty fennely to me, maybe just a wild fennel that's slightly different from the fennel you're used to?

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
My sister's sun room

there are too many plants in this sun room!

whoops

hey!

Now they have a happy home :3

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to plug Square Foot Gardening for people with aspirational gardening ideas. Search it or check out one of many books on it. That and learning to compost has turned my little yard into a nice garden and I've learned a lot.

So here's some SFG in practice:

I had a lot of die-off in one side of the peas.

This is the back corner of my garden and it looks like they didn't get enough water. Peas are thirsty, don't plant them in the back corner - learn from my mistake. Can I squeeze another crop of peas in if I take these out and remember to water them this time? Let's find out.

SFG encourages one to mark off areas and this one is 2'x2'. So I grabbed my hoe (heh heh heh), the packet of pee seeds (heh), and a watering can and went to work.

Most packets have optimal measures for the seed, so let's see what this one says:

Right so these ones need 18" between rows. They will not take up 18" of space, it's more of a sunlight-required thing. Doesn't matter - they're going into a 24" square, the aforementioned be-hoed.

Plant space is 4" so we can squeeze another planting in by placing them 2"-pea-2" like this:

code:
 |<-      24"                  ->|  aka
 |<2>p<-4"->p<-4"->p<-4"->...    |  aka
 |<2>p<2><2>p<2><2>p<2>...       |
Here's a freehand MSPaint:

I left one of the existing vines, seemed to be doing ok.

I made sure they were watered and voila! Gardening-by-number ha ha. It works great! :)

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer
Also there were birds on a wire behind me watching me; I noticed them because they'd raise a ruckus when I got up. :)

I live in Minnesota and during deer hunting chickadees will get curious and come close to you in a deer stand if you are really, really still.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
Growing stuff is a whole lot of math! I've read that tomatoes should go 2 feet apart, my dad said 1 foot is fine, and when I started digging they may have ended up even closer than that :(. It's my first time so I may have got too excited. But it's all an experiment so we'll see if it works at all. Next year I'm going to start much earlier and learn from this year's mistakes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can always thin them if there are too many in an area.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MGzK9q89O0 This is a nice video about plant spacing. In general, unless things are particularly sprawling, I plant things pretty close together and have had good luck doing it that way. You get more use out of the beds plus the plants help to shade the soil so weeds can't grow as well.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
https://imgur.com/a/Ouu0CF4

Yard to garden in just thirty excruciating steps!

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Zucchini are growing fast this time of year. These three are most likely seedy now. I'll check the biggest for good sized seeds.

That beast of a tomato fell off today as well. He'll go into the window.

TACO_HERO posted:

Growing stuff is a whole lot of math!

It doesn't have to be. I like Square Foot because it's mathy and I find it a natural fit for my personality.

TACO_HERO posted:

It's my first time so I may have got too excited. But it's all an experiment so we'll see if it works at all. Next year I'm going to start much earlier and learn from this year's mistakes.

That's a winning attitude. High five

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
Nice haul!

I'm struggling with whether or not to start harvesting these (I think they're jalapenos, all grown inside)

Those huge ones are kind of pale green and still getting bigger so maybe they aren't ripe yet? But those smaller dark green ones are looking ready, I don't think they've grown much in a while. But they all seem to be hanging on when I jiggle them. I know that when the fruit is gone those plants will start putting energy into new ones so I'm just going to start picking them real soon. I want to get seeds from these for a second generation, too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So you can pick those and eat them now if they're turning light green. Chilis are great for being edible at so many different stages of ripeness. BUT, if you want to harvest the seeds you need to let them fully ripen on the plant. The fruit may be edible now, but the seeds aren't done yet.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Something has been taking bites out of my jalapenos >:~(

I made tomato soup with three pounds of tomatoes a few days ago which helped stem the tide but the tomatoes have regrouped and are counterattacking in force.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Did you know that chili pepper leaves are edible? They're pretty good too, like a mildly peppery spinach.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

Fitzy Fitz posted:

So you can pick those and eat them now if they're turning light green. Chilis are great for being edible at so many different stages of ripeness. BUT, if you want to harvest the seeds you need to let them fully ripen on the plant. The fruit may be edible now, but the seeds aren't done yet.

Noted! I will make sure to leave some to mature as long as possible.

roomforthetuna posted:

Did you know that chili pepper leaves are edible? They're pretty good too, like a mildly peppery spinach.

Whaaaaaat! Is that only some varieties? Need to be cooked? I've trimmed enough leaves for several meals and just threw them away.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

TACO_HERO posted:

Whaaaaaat! Is that only some varieties? Need to be cooked? I've trimmed enough leaves for several meals and just threw them away.
There's some debate about it. Bell peppers are apparently no, but most of the spicy peppers are yes. Most places saying they're okay to eat seem to say you have to cook them, but I ate a bunch of serrano leaves in a salad and it seemed fine to me. I haven't seen any justification for the claim that you have to cook them, I think it's just that the sources say "safe to eat if boiled or cooked" and nobody really makes a statement either way about raw.
A recipe featuring hot pepper leaves, as a sort of vague citation. (Also heh, this recipe doesn't appear to actually cook the hot pepper leaves, they're added right at the end.)

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
My garden is being taken over by a single acorn squash plant. I need to build some trellises for it next year.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
My wife made me get rid of my chickens so this year I planted my tomatoes where their run was... and holy crap. I planted really early (second week of April), and I have already had two major harvests. I've got 2 gallons of sauce, 1 gallon of crushed tomatoes, and 1 gallon of salsa all canned in pint jars. I'm already out of mason jars and am going to have to hit up church rummage sales for more because it looks like I'm going to have at least 2 more harvests of equal size.

Contrary to my tomato success, all of my winter squash started flowering almost immediately after it was planted and then continued to just flower and not get any bigger for two months until it finally all dried up and died.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I like to eat tomato leaves in some things cause they give this hard to describe taste to a dish but I heard doing this will get you nightshade-ed

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
Taste test!

Those giant ones? Not spicy at all. I wonder if they even ripened properly, I'll try waiting longer next time.

But that tiny dark one... :lsd: Me and my buddy each had a bite and were hiccupping uncontrollably for 5 minutes.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
So my tomato plants are turning yellowish and some of the tomatoes are splitting before they reach full size, not enough water?

I feel like I'm watering them more than enough.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

So my tomato plants are turning yellowish and some of the tomatoes are splitting before they reach full size, not enough water?

I feel like I'm watering them more than enough.

Splitting is a symptom of too much watering!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Literally A Person posted:

Splitting is a symptom of too much watering!

fuuuuuuck

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

With 'maters, when they are fruiting, you want to wait until an inch or so of soil drys up before giving them a drink.

Over watering is probably also causing your leaves to turn yellow.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

With 'maters, when they are fruiting, you want to wait until an inch or so of soil drys up before giving them a drink.

Over watering is probably also causing your leaves to turn yellow.

I was chasing my overwatering issue with more water I think. I just lost 20 tomatoes.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
What about nice tomatoes but they never ripen? Google says too hot but not sure how anyone gets a red tomato in the summer if that's the case.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sten Freak posted:

What about nice tomatoes but they never ripen? Google says too hot but not sure how anyone gets a red tomato in the summer if that's the case.

Ready for advice you're not going to like?

Wait it out. As we get closer to the end of August they ought to blush.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ready for advice you're not going to like?

Wait it out. As we get closer to the end of August they ought to blush.

Mine are just starting to now. It's better than Christmas.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
If I seed-plant perennials such as coreopsis, bee balm and primrose in zone 5b now, is it likely too late for them to develop sufficient roots to survive winter and come back next year?

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

ragle posted:

If I seed-plant perennials such as coreopsis, bee balm and primrose in zone 5b now, is it likely too late for them to develop sufficient roots to survive winter and come back next year?

I don't know jack about survivability, but my advice would be to just do it anyway - seeds are cheap. And sow some more next spring.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is it too late to plant sunflowers??

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is it too late to plant sunflowers??

Are you in a zone that they would survive the winter in?

If so, plant em'.

If not, wait until spring.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm so mad that mine didn't take off this year. I think they must have been old seeds.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm overflowing with tomatoes right now so it's time to start preserving some. Last night I used the Cook's Illustrated Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe: (https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/11072-fresh-tomato-sauce) (paywalled, I think.)

...wound up making about two L of sauce. Cooled in the fridge overnight and jarred for the freezer this morning.

It's just a mishmash of whatever was ripe - mostly heirlooms and a few mortgage lifters but also that giant pumpkin looking one from the previous post and a couple of romas. Smelled great, looks great, and the sample tastes I had were wonderful. Yay gardening!

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
What the hell do I do with all this zucchini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Stuff it and bake it!

Pasta!

Give it to me!

• Locked thread