Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Roast it on a grill!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/222763/balsamic-grilled-zucchini/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
is it true that in the ancient times, like marcus aruelius, zucchini was bitter as hell with a radically different flavor? Are there still the ancient cultivars?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

Grimey Drawer

SniperWoreConverse posted:

is it true that in the ancient times, like marcus aruelius, zucchini was bitter as hell with a radically different flavor? Are there still the ancient cultivars?

https://mymodernmet.com/800-year-old-squash/

Not a direct answer to your question, but 800 year old seeds were recently found around here. It's apparently quite good to eat:

https://nancyonthehomefront.com/ancient-seeds-gete-okosomin/

e:

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 16, 2018

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

There's a lot of really interesting work into this, a main source of info is old paintings etc. Here's one about watermelons

https://hyperallergic.com/226096/the-evolution-of-the-watermelon-captured-in-still-lifes/

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Aramoro posted:

There's a lot of really interesting work into this, a main source of info is old paintings etc. Here's one about watermelons

https://hyperallergic.com/226096/the-evolution-of-the-watermelon-captured-in-still-lifes/

Well that was freakin' cool!

Thanks for that.

On the topic of older cultivars, my seed house has a few varieties as old as the early 1800's. Not ancient per se but totally interesting to see and eat a plant that few people have seen in 200 years.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
https://www.rareseeds.com/art-combes-amazing-ancient-watermelon/ this is a cool article about ancient watermelon seeds found in the early 1920s in a cave and stored in an old Native American woven bottle. There is a surprise appearance at the end by a certain cattle rancher that people might recognize.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

many of the fruits and vegetables that you know today were completely different back then, like wild peaches ~5000 years ago were basically salty-tasting cherries with waxy skins, but we bred them into these huge sweet fruit because that's a lot nicer than a tiny salty cherry

like this is what wild corn looks like, apparently it tastes starchy like a potato

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I was worried that my squash would never come in, but I found a huge on hiding on the outside of the fence where the vine grew through. :sandance:

guri
Jun 14, 2001
It's not a lot but I was out today picking some things that were closest to ready in preparation for an incoming typhoon that could potentially gently caress up the garden. Along with extreme winds, 141mm of rain is forecasted through tomorrow afternoon and evening then another 41mm through the following morning. I've done my best to support everything but there is only so much one can do.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

guri posted:

It's not a lot but I was out today picking some things that were closest to ready in preparation for an incoming typhoon that could potentially gently caress up the garden. Along with extreme winds, 141mm of rain is forecasted through tomorrow afternoon and evening then another 41mm through the following morning. I've done my best to support everything but there is only so much one can do.

Are those little albino eggplants???

:3:

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Yup! I ordered them online without bothering to read the (Korean) description and expected them to be a bit bigger but these cute little things are quite nice as well. They seem to be the same as https://www.rareseeds.com/japanese-white-egg-eggplant/

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Thots and Prayers posted:

https://mymodernmet.com/800-year-old-squash/

Not a direct answer to your question, but 800 year old seeds were recently found around here. It's apparently quite good to eat:

https://nancyonthehomefront.com/ancient-seeds-gete-okosomin/

e:

This is the one I need to get for next year

QuarkJets posted:

many of the fruits and vegetables that you know today were completely different back then, like wild peaches ~5000 years ago were basically salty-tasting cherries with waxy skins, but we bred them into these huge sweet fruit because that's a lot nicer than a tiny salty cherry

like this is what wild corn looks like, apparently it tastes starchy like a potato

isn't modern corn some insanely complex hybrid of like 5 wild species?

Tomorrow I will post something special that I hope can keep alive through the cold months

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
holy poo poo follow the olosomin story back across the links that are there, turns out it's all some kind of lie and they were never found preserved in clay after all, they were meticulously preserved by a few hand pollinating them every season since forever.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

holy poo poo follow the olosomin story back across the links that are there, turns out it's all some kind of lie and they were never found preserved in clay after all, they were meticulously preserved by a few hand pollinating them every season since forever.

...ahem.

Link?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
In at least one of thots' links there's another link with story updates and it goes back two or three layers to the point where it's a pdf of someone's statement of what really happened.

I guess somebody backtracked the "chain of custody" as far as they could to get more info about possible 800 year seed preservation techniques and the clay pot or clay ball they were supposedly found in is a fabrication or some conflation with some other seeds story.

It's still a sweet story because people were actively caretaking these things for all this time and in a sense that's more amazing because it's not just a plant but the tradition that surrounds it that has survived.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

yoooo bitter melon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Day 1:

Day 4:

Day 7:
)

The one in the far back is way more red & glossy than the other two, and it is growing more slowly. Not pictured is a fourth that came up today.

It's hard to take pics that really show how fast they're growing because I find myself pulling back to re frame the pic. Rosemary is basically the same size.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I was so close to escaping this typhoon without any major damage to the garden. Despite uprooted trees and stuff around my neighborhood my garden was banged up but nothing that plants wouldn't be able to recover from. The rain had let up and I even opened up my windows and suddenly a huge blast of wind came through and knocked over my tomato support. Boo.. Goddamn are those plants healthy, though. Nothing broke and I was able to at least temporarily secure it back against the wall again. It should be able to hold until the end of the season provided another storm like this doesn't pass over.

The past couple years I've been working on my soil doing mostly a no-dig thing with compost and mulch. It was amazing to see how my soil compared to my neighbors who just rely on fertilizer. While my neighbor's gardens were a big soggy mess with water pooling up and plants uprooted, mine just looked the same as always.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
On the main fronts, I consider this growing season to have been a great success.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I don't know what they are called but this is the second year we've planted the yellow/orange tiny tomatoes and they again are fantastic. They're prolific, super sweet and great for salads.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Sten Freak posted:

I don't know what they are called but this is the second year we've planted the yellow/orange tiny tomatoes and they again are fantastic. They're prolific, super sweet and great for salads.

Katinka Cherry Tomatoes, maybe?

There is a million freaking heirlooms.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

There is a million freaking heirlooms.

& on that topic, thank you thread for introducing me to Black Krim and Black Cherry varieties. Holy gently caress they're good.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

& on that topic, thank you thread for introducing me to Black Krim and Black Cherry varieties. Holy gently caress they're good.

Just in general this thread has been a lot more productive than I imagined it being.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

last night. Day 14 I think. Seems like even when they come up real dark and lacquered looking they eventually go to green. Maybe it's a coincidence but the darkest ones don't get lit at night.

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice

Mozi posted:

On the main fronts, I consider this growing season to have been a great success.

This is my goal.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

My tomatoes came out really well this year.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Oh, those are simply beautiful.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Sten Freak posted:

Sunny Gold Cherries? Those are the best and I don’t think I’d ever grow any other variety.

But we did experiment with Romas this year and... does anyone have a good, easy sauce recipe because those plants are productive!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Some bird hosed up one of my pepper plants :mad:

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I wonder if it's the same some bird that keeps messing with stuff at my house. Screw you, some bird.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My neighbor has a sprawling crab apple tree that is gorgeous while blooming but, you know, produces crab apples which are currently carpeting her lawn. I knocked on her door and asked if I could collect them for my compost.

Three wheelbarrow loads later and now my compost smells like I'm making applejack moonshine.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Can't crab apples be used to make actual booze?

Also what's the tree that's kinda like a crab apple but the berry is very small, kinda pithy or mealy, and astringent? Can I use those to make booze our will I get sick and die?

Woden
May 6, 2006
Planted some alpine strawberries on a rock terrace thinking it was the perfect spot but it sucks, they're barely growing. Apparently they like water but not on their leaves, which is a serious pita and I keep loving it up so they're brown and often wilted.

Then just the other day I discovered a family of blue tongue lizards are living underneath them, and they loving love berries. Kinda want to tough it out but I think they're doomed.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Try drip irrigation?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Can't crab apples be used to make actual booze?

Also what's the tree that's kinda like a crab apple but the berry is very small, kinda pithy or mealy, and astringent? Can I use those to make booze our will I get sick and die?

Yes they can be used to make booze. Crabapples are mostly any small wild apple variant, I'm sure there's a name for yours and a name for mine but most people don't care to distinguish.

Astringent is a good way to describe them. Most of the recipes for crabapple wine seem to add a lot of sugar; all the crabapples I've tried did NOT have a sweet taste.

One native North American fruit that's almost disappeared is the paw paw tree. There are some being raised south of here - I think I know someone who knows someone. I'd love to try one.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Yeah there's a whole world of cider apples and stuff you can't barely eat. I dunno if those are even the same species of apple as regular ones, or how they're related to crabs.

for the tree I'm talking about, the fruits of mine are fuckin tiny, like pea sized. Mostly I see them around planted for their looks years ago or whatever, but the ones on my land are all volunteers that grow pretty strong and produce a decent amount. I've never heard of anyone planting one in living memory but some places have them and they were obviously specifically chosen for that spot. The wild ones get gnarled as gently caress tho.

Paw paws seem impossible to get unless you know somebody. Supposedly they don't keep and can't be shipped. Also they supposedly taste like banana x papaya, but who knows? There's a few spots I have that I think they would do well in, but I got no connections. Guess I could hunt seeds online, but I dunno...

What's the best way to get peppers going next year? My tomatoes always seem to just do whatever I could throw seeds or whole tomatoes however I want and be fine but my peppers don't even wanna germinate. Fuckin citrus grows better even if they're always incredibly slow.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

What's the best way to get peppers going next year? My tomatoes always seem to just do whatever I could throw seeds or whole tomatoes however I want and be fine but my peppers don't even wanna germinate. Fuckin citrus grows better even if they're always incredibly slow.

If it makes you feel better getting them germinated is really the hardest part. Use a fork when you plant them to try and evenly cover them. Use it like a miniature hoe. I know it sounds dumb but this is what totally ended up changing my pepper growing life. I use the large peet pots and put 5 seeds in each. Thin as you need. When you do put your plants into the ground be careful, too much nitrogen too early will kill the sweet gently caress out of them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, they like sterile seed start.

So sterilize some yourself or make sure you buy some.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Bastards, I want a grimy slum pepper I could just slam dunk into the dirt whole.

Growing ginger has been easy so far but we'll see how the tubers be this time next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ps gently caress these fig seeds they should have been fine even though I scooped them out of a dead dry fig

• Locked thread