Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I have 4 cucumber plants started as well as 10 lacinato kale, 20 red leaf lettuces, 5 parsleys, 2 jalapeno and 2 anaheim peppers. The leaf lettuces and kales are getting too big for the cells i have them in so i think i'm going to plant them this week. I'm in michigan zone 6 and it's cold here right now so i'm probably going to harden my peppers and cucumbers off in a cold frame next week then plant them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also i think i'm gonna start some radishes from seed in the dirt and just kimchi the whole plants including the greens and the roots.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

no gardening thread would be complete without a video from john kohler of growingyourgreens.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0X3BaifKO4

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

try watering less?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i dunno is it ok to let a rubber tree dry out a little? i've never grown one.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i am doing some containers this year. if i was going to do containers as a first time grower i would fill them with 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 top soil (just plain dirt), 1/3 organic compost. also if you can find unpasteurized worm castings i find they are one of the best organic nutrients.
as far as plants i would probably plant some kales and lettuce from nursery starts right now, along with some radishes from seed. all three are cold tolerant. then i would plant some tomatoes from starts in mid may. if you are growing tomatoes in containers, don't go for the really big tomatoes like beefsteak. y ou want vine tomatores, romas, or smaller heirloom ones. cherry and grape tomatoes grow amazingly in containers. it can be difficult for the plant to produce many large tomatoes with a smaller root system in a container or pot.

also just grow whatever you are interested in growing from nursery starts. it's not that hard and it's a good way to build confidence.

edit: incorrectly said to use radish starts when they don't transplant well and turn over fast enough to grow from seed.

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 28, 2018

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

even if you can't get unpasteurized worm castings or can't afford organic seeds or compost, just buy some poo poo and plant some seeds and starts. eating food you've grown yourself is extremely satisfying and relatively little work for what you get out of it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

do what I do: leave the soil for native plants and use vats+trays for exotics.

Get or make a big waterproof vat and flood it and throw some vat creatures in. put a pump in there and get it ready to plumb up to the trays.

Trays are shallow waterproof vessels full of some inert media and put somewhere sunny. The vat should continually be pumped into these trays. Cut a hole and make a siphon valve so that the water will periodically completely drain from the trays and go back to the vat. Put seeds in rockwool and throw them in the trays. Eventually they'll sprout and grow.

This is like aquaponics although you could dispense with the vat animals and just dump in some nutrients. It's also the reverse of aquaponics because the things living in the water are selected to provide nutrients to what you want to grow, where in aquaponic systems usually you select the plants that will provide enough filtration to support what you want in the vats.

Google affnan valve and you got an easy siphon for the trays. I think for your use you could use a super cheap saltwater aquarium even.

Where did you get those seeds? Because I've wanted to specifically get those so I could test them as a nutrient export in my aquarium for a long time now.

i really don't think an aquaponics/hydroponics setup is an appropriate suggestion for someoen who seems like a beginner.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

guri posted:

I have a long stretch of a raised bed in my courtyard and a rooftop full of containers. This is my fourth year in my house and each year I've been expanding on what I'm growing bit by bit. Started a couple compost bins last year and from this year I've been trying something like a no-dig approach in my main bed. The rooftop is much warmer so progress up there tends to be a bit quicker but in the end down in the courtyard is where things grow the healthiest. I transplanted my tomatoes last week; three types (Dark Galaxy, Costuluto Florentino, and Black Vernisage from seeds saved from last year) -- one of each down in the main garden then seven pots up on the rooftop. Plus some peas and black corn are already taking off. I never really succeed with tomatoes in containers but hopefully this year will be different.

Now I'm starting my usual summer-time greens: kangkong, Molokhia, and Malabar spinach. The first two have always done great for me in my hot and humid climate and this year I'm trying out the other for the first time. Plus okra, Thai chilies, eggplant, and some other things either coming up or planned.

This is I think the third year of my blueberry bush and finally it was absolutely packed with flowers which all seemed to have been pollinated successfully. I also planted an ume tree two winters ago and this year it had some flowers and two actual fruits which was a surprise. Unfortunately aphids have taken a liking to the tree and I haven't had much success keeping them off it.

Also this year I am finally getting into the mulching game. I've been gathering pine needles from various places around where I live and going with that for now.

Here are some pictures.

Rooftop. So far mizuna at the front there is the most happy. Corn, bean, and tomatoes at the back.

impressive.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this is also pretty great.

also to the guy who is afraid to grow anything op is right about radishes. just plant them in the plain dirt in your yard and they will grow with no nutrients or anything and you'll have actual food that you grew in like a month. i like to take radishes and ferment them like a traditional sauerkraut or kimchi.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

my mom asked for some squash plants this year and i was like you mean one squash plant mom. one squash only.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Literally A Person posted:

What variety are you thinking?

i dunno i've never grown squash before. i'm just gonna buy some random squash starts and pot it up in some peat moss and homemade compost and vermiculite for her. squash is the sort of thing i would rather just buy out the store but she wants to grow it for home made zucchini bread.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would be more interested to grow eggplants which i hear have the same problem of producing shitloads and then you have to become a eggplant jehovas witness trying to talk to your neighbors at 8:30 in the morning on sunday and get rid of some of this fucken egglant.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i have some fennel seeds how long does that take to grow. does it bolt in hot weather? i've never grown it.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

If you're dead set on going to the depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Garden-Center-Landscaping-Mulch/N-5yc1vZbx4a

But consider looking at nurseries. They usually have better selections of organic fertilizers and a lot of times have staff that have a fair amount of knowledge.

compost and organic fertilizer are two different things. there's organic fertilizers that are like little rocks that you top dress or dig in and are like 2-2-1. but composted manure or humus are just compost without being fertilizer imo

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

he def would not want to accidentally get the small bag of fertilizer if he is just trying to ammend a garden bed that may give too much fertilizer somehow and it wouldn't improve the texture and moisture retention of the soil. otherwise your recommendations are good.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

samphire seems pretty complex to grow.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

dug up a huge patch in the backyard, also put some kales and lettuce in a makeshift coldframe to harden off, the kales are taking off, the lettuce not so much.
in the back yard of the house i moved into this year, there's a paver patio next to the driveway. between the pavers and the driveway there's little triangles of dirt. the dirt sucks, it's sandy clay with almost no organic material. i weeded it and planted radishes there just to see how lovely of soil radishes can grow in. it's the kind of clay/sand that forms cracks when it's sunny and gets dry.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

heirloom french breakfasts

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Radish experimentation is honorable and good. Keep us up to date!

My lettuce pooped it's pants this year. I'm p upset. Oh well, that row belongs to something else now.

i'm just gonna plant some lettuce from seeds. also i have a couple containers that i broadcast seed with lettuce, i can just take some small sprouts from there and transplant to an amended bed. gotta have that lettuce baby

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i did a shitload of stuff in my garden over the last two days. I transplanted and moved all my starts outside a few weeks ago into larger cups, but the soil wasn't right so i had to repot them today. they already look better. waiting for their root systems to develop in the cups, they're very stunted from transplant shock and the soil. i also went and bought some starts because of that.
so far i have:

in pots made from homemade compost, peat moss, top soil, worm castings, leaf mulch:
2x sungold tomatoes
1x celebrity tomato
1x everbearing strawberry already has a fruit on it

in dirt beds supplemented with worm castings and composted manure:
4x georgia collards
4x red leaf lettuce
3x sugar baby watermelon
2x sweet basil
2x thai basil
1x little finger eggplant
1x zucchini

Almost all the french breakfast radishes i talked about earlier in the thread are growing in unbelievably lovely soil next to the driveway. I also left a small part of my garden bed unsupplemented and planted 50x chinese red radishes.
Also planted about 10x curly parsley and 20x red lettuces from seed in the supplemented areas. Going for a really large, high intensity garden this year.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Yo.

:respek:

Were you the one in Michigan? I wish you luck with your melons, they can be tricky in places with shorter growing seasons. You'll have to give us some "as you go" pictures!

apparently they're a smaller watermelon so there's a better chance of actually getting fruit. it's in a full sun 8+ hrs a day area.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Are they Arikara by chance? If so, I have some tips for you, goon sir.

no, sugar baby. https://www.burpee.com/fruit/watermelon/watermelon-sugar-baby-prod000561.html

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

UltraRed posted:

Guys I want good garden tomatoes. Will the plants I buy at Home Depot make those? Also, am I too late to start planting? I only want, like, two plants. Outdoors in MI.

buy starts that are about 6 inches tall by now, they should cost 5-10$ each and come one to a pot. use the potting soil recipe LAP reposted a few posts up, and you will be tiz-ite.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the struggle of gardening is real

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol that is a cool plant but i also think if i posted that picture i would get unfollowed on twitter.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

I'm attempting to bring back the hydroponics thread so come post. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830

i'm a soil boy

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

human piss is the best organic fertilizer and i plan to use it in my garden this year. that's right tactical piss jugs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

presidential jugz gonna set my garden on fire

• Locked thread