Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?
Check your local community listings for gardening events where you can browse, ask questions, etc. In Canada they have Seedy Saturdays https://seeds.ca/Seedy-Saturday

And get your soil tested if you have Doubts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

cannot pake posted:

I put some grass seed and the rain washed it away. Next move?
What's your soil like?

You can re-seed and cover in a thin layer of straw. Not too thick that it smothers your seedlings when they come up. Or I think you can get grass seed that comes with pre-mixed with mulch. Use the hose to gently water after sowing.

Check your forecast and try not to plant before any scheduled heavy rains.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Literally A Person posted:

What kind of stuff do you grow Lacey?
Just herbs in indoor containers right now and I'm growing pumpkin seedlings from last Halloween's biggest pumpkin

I moved so I'm waiting to see what all this stuff coming up outside is before I cull. I think I have tulips, bleeding hearts, tiger lilies and chives. Some reddish bushes with hard little seedpods at the ends? And a million cedar sprouts.

edit: indoor herbs: thyme, basil, rosemary, oregano, lavender and cat grass

Lacey fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 28, 2018

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Protip for those with cats: cat grass seed mixes are usually combos of wheat, oats, rye and barley. You can buy these seeds in bulk at farm supply stores or online / mail order (get seed not feed grade). Get some dirt and something cute to put the dirt in. The seeds will sprout easily and it's much cheaper than purchasing the little cat grass kits with the plastic trays.

Get a couple pots and you can do a rotation so the cat grass is always fresh.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Grow radishes. They will grow even if you try to kill them.
Zucchini is also good because even if only a plant or two make it you will have so much zucchini you'll be whipping it at your neighbours

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

So much hate for the zucchini growers of the world. You grow a gnar veggie and then when you can't eat the twenty-four tons of it your one plant produced you foist it off on any dolt that will take it.

Seriously though we started just blasting tons of it through the food processor and freezing it into little 1-cup portions. They are perfect for throwing together quick zucchini breads!
I use them to make something similar to this: https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/zucchini-fritters-recipe-2104953

but panko instead of flour, an extra egg and good herbs instead of dill. If you have a big reversible grill/griddle pan you can cook a huge batch quick (on the flat side of course)

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Spinster posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm growing stuff in the carpet in the back of my car under the seats, is there a specific herb you recommend that doesn't get too tall or need much light?
You can google low light herbs for a list but I can't think of any that do well in near total darkness.

Or you could try a peace lily or snake plant instead (you know, office type plants). Keep them trimmed so they're short enough. They'll filter your car air but they're also poisonous so don't let whatever else lives in your car eat them.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

jerk irl posted:

Out of context, this is wrong on so many levels...
I just found 10 kg buckets of bone and blood meal in a shed :woop:

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

I have a decent number of containers on my balcony growing plants. This year my big plant project is to grow a hop vine. Aiming to do something like this:

That looks super cool. I'm thinking of doing something similar with nasturtiums although I don't think they fill in the whole area as well

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

People will pay silly amounts of money for "seasonal arrangements". Stuff like pussywillow, cattails, dogwood, evergreen cones / boughs, dried thistle heads, etc. If you live in the sticks you probably won't even have to grow this stuff - it'll just happen.

We also used to sell bundles of corn stalks (sans corn) and small hay bales for people to stack on their porches in the fall.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

I wouldn't want any followers who couldn't appreciate lithops

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

And that's why I rip out every peony bush I find. You can't grow peonies without finding giant black ants nestled in the layers of petals like poo wrapped in satin bedsheets.

If you cut the blooms to bring into the house, I find completely submerging them in a sinkful of water and then gently swishing the petals while they're underwater will dislodge most of the ants.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Are we sure that’s not an old wives tale?

I’ve got peonies and no ants and they bloom fine.
I think the flowers will open just fine without ant intervention but every peony I've ever found was infested with ants. Peonies are like tier 1 ant food.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

learnincurve posted:

I would use that as an opportunity rather than a misfortune.

Step 1. Plant peony in area with existing ant problem

Step 2. bait the ground round them.

Step 3. Gloat over the corpses of your enemies.
What would you use for bait, though? You run the risk poisoning cool non-ant bugs or maybe even small wildlife.f

If you're not pathetically scared of ants like me, just embrace that the gorgeous beauty of peonies goes hand-in-hand with some gross stuff and maybe don't plant them too close to your front door.

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

They're pretty boring looking when not in bloom. Nearly every office lady I've known has received them for Valentines or Mothers Day and then tossed them a couple months later.

In other news my indoor basil has decided to die and I don't know what its problem is. Each morning it has a few more shriveled leaves. Come on Mr. Fawlty, I've done everything for you and nothing makes you happy :(

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Our apple trees problems were mostly bird-related. They'd even leave peck marks in the unripe fruit. My great-grandma's method was hanging shiny or noisy things in the trees to scare them like old cutlery and those disposable tinfoil pie pans. If nothing else, those trees were blingin

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

I have so much chamomile I'm not really sure what the hell to do with it all.
Dry it and have delicious soothing tea for days or mail tasty tea to lucky goons.

edit: I snapped my finger and accomplished -5 gardening this year so thanks for letting me live vicariously everyone

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Dandywalken posted:

Rabbits keep eating the leaves off my pepper plants, but thankfully leave my tomatoes alone. Are the spray animal deterrents worth using, or am I going to have to look into constructing a permanent solution around the garden?

Did you try pinwheels and human hair in your garden to scare them?

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Fitzy Fitz posted:

TIL "muck" is an actual technical term for organic soil in which the plant matter is highly decomposed and unrecognizable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

guri posted:

Yeah I've read a lot of opinions for both sides. Either way the drat things sacrificing themselves for the sake of safe passage of their followers sadly doesn't do much good in the long run..! Wish I had an endless supply of the stuff.

If you can locate the nests a kettle of boiling water goes a long way

• Locked thread