Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
business hammocks
Aug 20, 2006

Broken Cake

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Women should believe the same things I believe.

Her millions are being used to directly enslave and kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Her millions are being used to directly enslave and kill people.

She's not rich enough yet to avoid paying tax dude.

precision
May 7, 2006

Gonna have me some good friends around
Gonna have me some good times in town

hahaha drat

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

i gotta pretty little mouth, underneath all the foamin'

I would so love for someone from the Mad Men cast to have a cameo on this show. January Jones would be stupid good as a Wife (and could probably do it with her eyes closed), and Vincent Kartheiser could smug it up as someone or other. He's married to Alexis Bledel anyway, I bet he was hanging around the set at some point.

screamin and creamin
Sep 15, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

I would so love for someone from the Mad Men cast to have a cameo on this show.

I'd love for Negan from The Walking Dead to be some kind of Holy Inquisitor. "I hope you got your shittin' pants on" as he bashes the commander's head in.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

If Serena was a real person should would probably be working at one of those Fox News panel shows.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."

Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

If Serena was a real person should would probably be working at one of those Fox News panel shows.

Or First Things or Heritage? Too highbrow?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

RAGE-A-HOLIC

Hair Elf

datajugend posted:

yeah that was a "huh?" moment for me too. they have pictures and probably videos of mass executions, witness reports about how the handmaidens are tortured, raped and executed and probably a lot of other refugees that can tell horror stories about bodies hanging in the street, work/death camps and mass executions of gay people.

but a stack of letters on the internet was way too much for the canadian government.
I don't think they really sat down and thought through the refugee situation and it keeps showing in places like this. Living people are wandering Canada who can tell these stories, but a bunch of letters get the attention. Moira escaped a brothel where high command regularly visited and no one in the Canadian government seems to have asked for her story while processing her asylum, or they just aren't interested in that information. At the same time, other governments are approaching Serena and attempting to make her turn. A little evidence that her husband is taking some trips to night clubs with some intimate company might have been useful to tip the scales in that situation. Even if the Canadian government isn't making some kind of attempts to destabilize Gilead or get the one-up on someone in a high place, someone else is going to.

Also Luke seemed to forget when yelling at Fred that he kidnapped his daughter and had him shot or at least thought those things weren't that important. I guess this is more a complaint that things that are important are suddenly not important until they are again in this show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

~~~~~~K.I.D.S.~~~~~~

CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK! CLUNK!

I consider this show very Game of Thrones-esque in that if you try to pick it apart it's a mess, but there's a lot of stuff that is really effective drama in the moment, and it's more fun to just take it at face value.

The letters are like when Littlefinger saved everyone with his army at the last minute, even though it made absolutely no sense whatsoever that he would wait that long or not tell everyone he was allied with them. it was a cool scene though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 08:28

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Super fair.

Regarding Canada, they're just not a warfaring country. I imagine most of the world would be clutching their pearls in response to Gilead.

Regarding Serena, I think I buy it. She's clearly grown up religious, but because she was so devout she never felt repressed. Now she does. We can condemn her for helping to build this, but we SHOULD be looking at Fred and his buddies, unknown as they may be.

I get the impression that Serena was the frog in boiling water, content to take a warm bath until it started to burn and it was too late. I won't join with people relishing in this. It strikes me more as a tragedy.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Serena didn't just help design it, she basically dreamt up the whole thing. I would say most, if not all, of the horrific laws, punishments and whatnot were her ideas, even if she's not the one personally enforcing them.

She's definitely an interesting character, and Strahovski does a great job with her. But she's not an innocent victim in this, girlfriend's got a lot of blood on her hands.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 11:54

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Serena didn't just help design it, she basically dreamt up the whole thing. I would say most, if not all, of the horrific laws, punishments and whatnot were her ideas, even if she's not the one personally enforcing them.

is there anything backing this statement up?
She was definetly part of it, but there were a whole lot of other people behind it too. There's a scene in season 1 where waterford and other commanders are talking in a car about how to structure society, and serena isn't there. She might just as well have been pushed to the forefront as a token woman who believes in the same ideology.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

She outright said that she wrote the laws at some point in season one.

precision
May 7, 2006

Gonna have me some good friends around
Gonna have me some good times in town

Crow Jane posted:

That was the conversation in the car where Fred was like "you wrote it, you should get to speak", right?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Oh, ok. I just never had the impression that she was the mastermind behind it all. Does it specify any more in that scene? It's usually more than one person writing a set of laws and we don't really know any details about those laws, right?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Crow Jane posted:

Thanks for clearing that up. I marathoned season 1 so my recall of quick details here isn't stellar. There's my sympathy gone, anyway. Good thing too; I wasn't enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

There are no such things as miracles.

I took that to mean she wrote the proposal/bill itself, not that she was responsible for every single law. She was no doubt responsible for some of them and collaborated on the rest tho.

«14 »