Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
You act as if the show had any other direction than "look how bad June has it". That was the plot for season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Ugh, people have already given you real historical examples of societies changing even more dramatically in just as short of a timeframe.The United States of America are not special or magic in that regard. But whatever, you do what you have to do. Do your "thing"

my entire time growing up as an american there's always been a sense of "it cant happen here" even though it has and will continue to happen again and again

Kanine fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 27, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DasNeonLicht posted:

While we're sharing chilling parts of the book about how society slipped into Gilead, this one really got me:

Such a relatively small reactionary retrenchment, too easy to imagine happening today.

i mean an irl example comparable is businesses and schools getting rid of unisex bathrooms out of reaction towards trans people gaining more rights/visibility

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kanine posted:

my entire time growing up as an american there's always been a sense of "it cant happen here" even though it has and will continue to happen again and again

It's called American exceptionalism and it's one of our worst traits.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Rewire did a two-part podcast series last year titled "Marching Toward Gilead" about theocrats in the United States: Part 1, Part 2

I recommend those two episodes for this thread, but in general, Choice/less is really well produced and a good podcast for anyone interested in reproductive rights. Here's a link to one of their best episodes.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
In the last or second to last episode I recall Fred looking at a map of Gilead/USA.
Does anyone have a still of that part? If i recall correctly i saw a Nuke symbol right in the middle...

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

CelestialScribe posted:

Someone posted these on Reddit from the cast party.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder why Missouri /Arkansas of all the things got wiped off the map.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Could be a missed target or taken down by some sort of missile defense.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Are those places "the colonies"?

What exactly was the role of that new traitor commander by the way? I missed quite a lot of that episode due to poor streaming and some background noise.
He didn't seem all in the way of Gilead to me, but he was quite important to it's creation as far as I understand.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
He was the brains behind the colonies, and some other stuff like the economy i think

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
it's not really specified

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

veni veni veni posted:

I wonder why Missouri /Arkansas of all the things got wiped off the map.

i think a lot of nuclear silos are in that region so maybe warheads were scuttled by the retreating us military

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh man, the actor who plays commander commander lawrence also plays the dad in get out

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Kanine posted:

oh man, the actor who plays commander commander lawrence also plays the dad in get out

More importantly, he was Eric in Billy Madison. https://youtu.be/2y5zKC-vhT8

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

More importantly, he was Eric in Billy Madison. https://youtu.be/2y5zKC-vhT8

Thank you for skipping over his worst role.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Finally finished this season up after being on vacation. The ending was so loving stupid. Where the gently caress does June think she's going to go? She can't go back to the Waterfords and it's not like you can just be homeless in Gilead. I'm guessing she gets somehow snuck into being a Martha or some poo poo in her daughters district next season.

I'm also still trying to figure out when/how that general got that Tesla Model X if it's 2018 and the revolution happened like 5 years ago or whatever.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ouhei posted:

Finally finished this season up after being on vacation. The ending was so loving stupid. Where the gently caress does June think she's going to go? She can't go back to the Waterfords and it's not like you can just be homeless in Gilead. I'm guessing she gets somehow snuck into being a Martha or some poo poo in her daughters district next season.

I'm also still trying to figure out when/how that general got that Tesla Model X if it's 2018 and the revolution happened like 5 years ago or whatever.
Turns out Elon Musk would be hella on board with Gilead.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This season wasn't as consistent as S1 but imo calling it garbage is peak goon hyperbole. There was still a lot to like.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm just hoping we get to see more of Canada or even Mexico next season. The Canada episode was by far my favorite one this season.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

JazzFlight posted:

That’s not really a twist given the way he treated his first wife.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

JazzFlight posted:

honestly people like jeff bezos or musk would 100% be on board with gilead (the capitalist class will always support fascism)

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the so-called 'capitalist class' is responsive to the market -- and whatever values consumers/citizens choose to bring to the market. if a critical mass of consumers/citizens become fascists then capitalists will become fascists. the same situation obtain with any political ideology that works in a market economy. trump's manufacturing and economic advisory council collapsed in the wake of his behavior in charlottesville--musk being in fact the first person to resign from it--because there are enough non-racist americans voting with their dollars for big businessmen to not want their products to be explicitly associated with a racist crazy person.

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 4, 2018

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

precision posted:

This season wasn't as consistent as S1 but imo calling it garbage is peak goon hyperbole. There was still a lot to like.

I like that one scene that pulls in really tight on Moss' face while she emotes a lot and non-diagetic music that's weirdly juxtaposed with the tone of the scene plays and they hold on it for a comically long time.

You remember that one?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zane posted:

the so-called 'capitalist class' is responsive to the market -- and whatever values consumers/citizens choose to bring to the market. if a critical mass of consumers/citizens become fascists then capitalists will become fascists. the same situation obtain with any political ideology that works in a market economy. trump's manufacturing and economic advisory council collapsed in the wake of his behavior in charlottesville--musk being in fact the first person to resign from it--because there are enough non-racist americans voting with their dollars for big businessmen to not want their products to be explicitly associated with a racist crazy person.

i guarantee that as conditions get worse and more american workers start organizing and attempting to form unions/etc. in the next decade, billionaires like bezos and musk will move further right in response to it

Kanine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 4, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if we were undergoing the same specific conditions like in the handmaids tale (acceletated environmental catastrophe causing a massive decline in birthrate which swings the american public over to supporting an overtly theocratic regime) robber barons like bezos/musk/etc, would 100% go along with the new regime

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would have been interesting if the backstory to the handmaids tale was more like the spanish civil war where leftists manage to unilaterally win elections in the us (i know this is unrealistic lmao) with majority approval but then the sons of jacob overthrow the government and establish gilead as a response

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

precision posted:

Didnt you see the garbage compactor scene? It was close but Martha 2.03 got it open from the outside.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

There were interesting elements of this season, but every single one of them panned out to be random ideas that did nothing to push the story forward. Everything about season 2 felt totally aimless. I feel pretty comfortable in calling it garbage.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hating on goons for being autistic usually works. In this case, however...

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Kanine posted:

honestly people like jeff bezos or musk would 100% be on board with gilead (the capitalist class will always support fascism)

You realize Gilead isn't a fascist state it's a authoritarian theocracy? Like they haven't done anything fascistic or nationalistic at all that I can tell, but I've never read the book....

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Like they haven't done anything fascistic

"Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of radical authoritarian ultranationalism, characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition and control of industry and commerce."

And with the way they lie to other countries about how things really work (propaganda), I'm pretty sure they're close enough to "fascist" to use that word.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love when people get really up in arms about the correct usage of the word fascism

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Like they haven't done anything fascistic or nationalistic at all that I can tell, but I've never read the book....

Denying rights to undesirables is one of the key components of fascism. Theocracy and fascism are not mutually exclusive at all.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
The primary industry of Giliad appears to be standing meanacingly on street corners with an assault rifle and a radio, and you don't see anything facist about that at all??

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
the book is creatively successful for its individual, psychological, portrait, rather than its comprehensive historico-social mapping, of a hypothetical totalitarian society. it is only successful--and only attempts to be successful--on this basis. the substance of the narrative drama turns upon the very limited information it provides to both the reader and the protagonist. this creates a deliberately claustrophobic psychological environment. offred has to contend with a world of constant and universal suspicion; she has to perceive, interpret, and utilize small events, and small pieces of information, in order to understand her situation and to survive. the relationship between offred and the commander--the mystery of the commander's intent, the opacity of certain gestures--is endlessly exploited and takes most of the book to unfold. it is never actually revealed why the commander gives offred special favours. the mystery of the characters to each other gets efficiently at one of the deeper psychological truths of a totalitarian society: which is that you never know if the person next to you could be your greatest friend or your greatest enemy in the world.

in the hands of a skilled director and writing room the tv show could reproduce this very deliberate dramatic approach in a slow and very 'minimalist' way. it wouldn't have to invent a sketchily plausible totalitarian society because it wouldn't have to trouble itself with the larger picture. it could make a big deal out of small events and conversations. but the showrunners are not very skilled and have instead fallen into the style and plotting of a more or less bog standard television procedural. the plot and the characters have run quickly out of road; the themes are confused (should we feel sympathy for the commander's wife? is gilead a plausible, even justifiable, response to an apocalyptic situation?); and things will only get sloppier from here.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Yeah and it's a shame because the show has some beautiful cinematography and several strong performances. If the writing was on the same level the show would be incredible instead of just good

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

I like that one scene that pulls in really tight on Moss' face while she emotes a lot and non-diagetic music that's weirdly juxtaposed with the tone of the scene plays and they hold on it for a comically long time.

You remember that one?

“Offred.”

*stares for 30 seconds*

“Yes Mrs. Waterford.”

I don’t think the show is necessarily garbage, but there is definitely a ton of padding with “dramatic silence”. Every single episode could be easily trimmed down to 40 minutes, if not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I actually hate calling it garbage, because it has so many different elements I like. Good cast, great cinematography, interesting world, great first season. Every single plot point in season 2 just left a sour taste in my mouth though. It set up so many things that had me hooked in the moment and it just felt like they did nothing with any of it.

• Locked thread