Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

precision posted:

yeah, that was really rough to watch, but also a very good episode. maaaan.

still yelling at the screen for Nick to just be like "hey, you realize that in the Long Long Ago people didn't get assigned teenage wives, right? Just chill out" but i guess we're meant to think she's so brainwashed she'd rat him out for even saying that much?

Nick is such a frustrating character to watch. Like there's so much he could have done to placate his teen bride so at the very least she doesn't rat his rear end out in the near future without having to pretend he was all in on the sudden marriage thing. Hell, June had the right idea in being kind/reassuring to her since she's a brain washed child that doesn't know any better.

I know this show is a dystopian hellscape, but I'm really hoping things start really hitting the fan for Gilead by the end of this season, the end of the book implies that Gilead no longer exists, so lets get to that part as opposed to 2 more seasons of crippling depression.

Matt Zerella posted:

I thought Serena literally got shot in her uterus?

Both of em.
She was shot in the gut for sure, and based on the framing of when they showed it, implied that it caused her to not be able to carry children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

double nine posted:

How is this show? Reviews are pretty good but it also sounds depressing and bleak as gently caress?

Yes.

It's really well made and the plot is well written, but it is also incredibly depressing. I am personally just trying to hang in there until we get to the fall of Gilead, so all these evil fucks start getting theirs.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Bamabalacha posted:

I still don’t think the fall of Gilead will happen for a loooooong time, if st all, on the show.

The epilogue mentions that the events of the book and what happens immediately after all take place in the “Early” Gilead period.

I think the show runner said they had ~10 seasons worth of ideas, including What the fall would look like and the aftermath. I just can't imagine another full season of what we've had for the first 2 seasons, that's a lot of suffering with no "pay off". I sincerely hope they don't do 10 seasons...I know they've got a 3rd coming, but they've also said they don't want to do too much not in the book (said they're telling the book content, just slower and more filled in).

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

I don't really know how many legs the show has if June escapes to Canada or gets reassigned. I'm already feeling like it's going to be a giant cop-out to have June survive and continue on given the way in which they're sort of wrapping up her various arcs while building up Emily.

I worry we're going to get even further into Game of Thrones territory with the antagonists becoming more of more comically evil to the point that nobody believes their character or cares about them.

I agree, I'm hoping we get 4 seasons total, though I think they could easily wrap things up in the next season. Anything longer than that and they're either going to lose their way by having too many new characters or we'll get to the point that the main cast has just gone through so much it all loses it's punch.

There's only so many times I'm willing to watch June get tortured, try to escape, fail and be tortured some more. At some point the good guys have to start winning.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Finally finished this season up after being on vacation. The ending was so loving stupid. Where the gently caress does June think she's going to go? She can't go back to the Waterfords and it's not like you can just be homeless in Gilead. I'm guessing she gets somehow snuck into being a Martha or some poo poo in her daughters district next season.

I'm also still trying to figure out when/how that general got that Tesla Model X if it's 2018 and the revolution happened like 5 years ago or whatever.

• Locked thread