Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Do the pink outfits we see June's daughter and other little girls wearing indicate that they're Handmaids in training? One review I read said they were, but I don't remember it being confirmed on the show one way or another

I thought the girls were groomed to be child brides. That the promised prize for Eyes or low ranked men doing special things for Gilead would be marriage to a 13 year old they could groom into an obedient wife. If she turns out to be fertile, all the better, if not, wait until you get a turn with a handmaid. I really hope I am wrong about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why does Waterford want to go to Canada? Is he planning to defect?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I've seen Aunt Lydia as someone who is trying to atone for something. Maybe she had a baby as a teenager, put it up for adoption, and never managed to forgive herself for having had pre-marital sex?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
How will Serena Joy react if Nick's child bride gets pregnant? Also, did they say the child bride will isn't going to get to see her family again?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I really want to see what happens to widows in Gilead. I guess they are recruited as aunts?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Let's say Warren was among the dead. Would baby Angela/Charlotte be transferred to another family?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I don't get why the letters turned people against Gilead. I'm pretty sure Moira, and a lot of other refugees have told these stories already. So why did those letters tip the scale?

Nick, you are a terrible husband. Start treating Eden as a human being, will you? Eden is doing her best under the circumstances, try being thankful for her efforts once in a while for a start.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I loved how :smuggo: the newly promoted fertile commander was and eagerly look forward to the gang that couldn't shoot being purged.

Edit: was the book written before IVF took off? Getting people pregnant is pretty easy these days, the problem is with women for whatever reason not being able to bring the ferilized eggs to term. If that were the case wives like Serena would be having miscarriages instead of not getting pregnant.

But there are no sterile men in the Bible, only women who can't bring forth children who resort to having their slaves get pregnant on their behalf. So in Gilead it would probably be blasphemy to even hint at men being the reason there are so few babies. And there is no IVF in the Bible, so that is probably illegal too. Surrogacy has scriptural presidency, IVF do not.

My ex-mother-in-law truly believed that IVF caused birth defects, while surrogacy was perfectly acceptable, using the Bible as her guide. Of course, she also believed women didn't have souls until they gave birth to a son, among other WTF??? religious ideas.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the crazy hypocrisy of fred raping june but nick loving his child-wife through a sheet with a hole in it

I don't buy that hole in the sheet thing. If such a thing existed in Gilead, surely the wives would insist that it was used on the handmaids during the ceremony.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why is Eden dressed like a Martha? She obviously outranks Rita as a married woman. I get that she is a lower level married woman, but even so, she should not be confused with a Martha. Would make more sense to dress her in a very pale green, a sort of "Wife in training" that would get darker if Nick got his own house or something?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Was that Eden's mother and sister watching her drowning?

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I guess Nick's future is pretty much hosed now. "No point giving that bloke a new bride, he obviously can't control his woman." "Promotion? Forget it, he couldn't deal with a teenage bride, you think he can command men?" etc.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Emily's new commander, nice or just weird? The fact that he lets his Martha swear and talk back seems like a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
My guess is June will be the new Handmaid at the rebel Commander, and work with him in the resistance.

I'm sort of miffed we didn't see what happened to Emily's former mistress after her husband died. What do Gilead do with widows? My theory is that they are given a few months of public mourning, then pressed into joining the Aunts. Can't really see these creepy commanders wanting to marry a widow when they can get a child bride. Nor see these spoiled wives wanting to "marry down" and maybe have to take jobs as Marthas. Then again, this is Gilead, wouldn't put it past them to glorify the idea of a widow going to the grave with her husband, or some kind of convent for them to live in absolute poverty officially praying for society or something.

• Locked thread