Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Monglo posted:

Concerning the non-rear end in a top hat men, a curious thing I've noticed, that every outsider character who has helped the main cast was a man. Im actually more curious about where are the non-rear end in a top hat women in this show? It's like all of them have been made handmaidens.

That makes sense, the men have freedom of movement and the legal ability to read. That helps a lot for plotting handmaid escapes and such.

Given the massive drop in the labor force when you remove all the women and send most of the young men off to war, I have to imagine all the remaining men have their hands full with work just trying to keep the economy from cratering any further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

HELLO LADIES posted:

They've been going on since the 70s. They got officially branded and turned into ~a thing~ for the pre-Tumblr third wave in the 2000s, but they actually existed way before the book came out.

I don't know if it's just a regional thing, but my experience is that this is off by at least a decade (1990s not 2000s).

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Of course if the show gave Nick an ounce of sense they would've just had him explain to the kid that she's half his age and he's uncomfortable with that rather than inventing some dissonant "traditional" method of having sex with a child bride, but no, open communication might accidentally give them some sort of functioning companionate relationship and we can't have that.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

JazzFlight posted:

I think they're doing the ol' bad-guy fake-out. He hasn't done anything majorly bad yet and they left it a mystery as of this episode, so I'm thinking he might be a self-hating collaborator. I think he might be a smart dude who convinced his wife to pretend to join their cult (+develop the colonies and apparently Gilead's economy) to survive and it's eating them up inside. Maybe he even has a connection to the resistance which we haven't heard from in a long while.

My evidence for this theory is purely:

-They have a ton of salvaged art and books (including Maus, I think?) that would have been destroyed by the new government.
-He lets his Martha swear at him.
-His wife is concerned about June's real name.
-He lets Emily drink a beer with him and is concerned about what the regime did to her.

This could easily go the other way with him being some sick pervert, but that's not as interesting. We already know commanders are usually disgusting horrible people, so why would that be a good plot for Emily?

I would also be a little surprised if Bradley Whitford took a job as a legitimately bought-in Gilead Commander. He seems like he'd be uncomfortable with that.

• Locked thread