Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I un-ironically would like to see this and half expect it. I think everyone is expecting some sort of catholic school marm or church lady, but I'm imagining her as some beat down woman with a lovely job who just resents everyone around her. I imagine her as someone who was really powerless and angry in the old world.

I'd love this too, but I wonder if it's a bit too close to her role in Compliance for it to ever happen. It's probably her most famous role prior to her recent surge in popularity, so it could end up feeling like an injoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This episode, with the general getting arrested felt so "TV" to me. Like, we introduce a problem and its solved by the end of the episode. Like an episode of Hawaii 5-0.

Or most of Breaking Bad, Mad Men, The Sopranos, ect. Even with heavy serialisation most television is still structured around introducing a problem, or an antagonist or raising an issue, and then going on to resolve it over the course of an episode. It's the basic building block of the medium, and one which The Handmaid's Tale has been consistent about sticking to.

(Agree about the season having a weak superstructure though. I'd have understood the purpose of everything if they'd have killed Fred, but they didn't and now I'm lost.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

It seems like they're going in the much more interesting direction of the Waterfords growing into revolutionaries themselves rather than just 3 more seasons of them torturing June or whatever.

I think I'd hate this.

I was hoping we'd get a plot where the entire household is thrown into disarray by Waterford's death, effectively erasing Serena's protections and placing her under the auspices of the society that she created and defended. I imagine she'd be compelled into marrying another commander, and which would have a whole bunch of interesting knock-on effects on the household and staff, particularly June / her child.

• Locked thread