Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like the theory someone else posted that the us military detonated the nukes in their silos as a scorched earth policy mayb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
gently caress :smith:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah i wouldnt be surprised if the cliamx of the show's story is some kind of mayday revolution with some kind canadian/british/un military intervention

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
tbh the scenes with serena getting yelled off stage and shot lmao really drip with the whole condescending liberal "the nazis have free speech so u have 2 respect them and let them have a platform" bullshit that gets minorities killed.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ardennes posted:

I got the sense in the show, it was much more of a very sudden thing (similar to Children of Men). It is also why the growth of extreme fundamentalism is so shocking (June doesn't seem to really worry until Sons of Jacob pretty much were already in control).

There are other mysteries/questions:

What is the radioactive waste in the colonies from? Just normal waste or from a limited nuclear strike (it seems like they could be set somewhere in the Dakotas ie bunch of missile silos are up there)? How much of the US military was able to get away, and how much can the existing US government do?

Why does the US/Gilead seems relatively "blessed" with fertility when if anything they are making the situation worse with outdated techniques and mass purges/death?

How the hell is Gilead suppose last when if anything it seems it really doesn't have any sizable industries except some basic consumer goods and food? I assume the killed most of the people that kept the IT industry growing as well as any R&D. I mean the effective GDP of Gilead must be laughable looking at how the society is run.

Also China should be running the world pretty much at this point, there is little to stop them.

id imagine as the us government retreated during the war against gilead they scuttled their icbms by detonating them in their silos all across the midwest.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh also this is the reality of who actually gets hurt when people like serena show up

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/may/25/neo-nazi-rally-california-stabbing-police-target-black-activist

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh god if only those horrible protesters had engaged serena in the marketplace of ideas instead of being ~the real fascists~

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
man seeing so many people in the year 2018 saying you should debate fascists makes me pretty terrified as a bisexual jewish anarchist.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
my ancestors that died in the holocaust are definitely rolling in their graves

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

Advocating for violence to solve problems makes me upset as a gay person so diff strokes for diff folks

good thing the rights we have were never gained through any violence whatsoever no siree bob

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
nah i'd be chill with ann coulter/tomi lahren/etc. getting shot tbh

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
its crazy that so many people in the thread for the loving handmaids tale adaptation in the year 2018 are pulling "so much for the tolerant left" bullshit. like holy poo poo how many levels of ahistorical liberal nonsense do you have to be on to think killing nazis is bad.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 28, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

esperterra posted:

imho there's a big diff between what was happening to our community then and fighting back against that, and punching people who are actively committing hate crimes against us and other minorities while the government helps them

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly by the time we get to the point where most spineless liberals who go "i dont like violence" are ready to actually do anything it'll be too late for them to help

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

veni veni veni posted:

Good thing you are making a real difference by throwing an internet tantrum at people who probably agree with you on most issues. Fight the power bro.

dear somethingawfuldotcom today i learned being slightly annoyed at liberals in tviv is throwing a tantrum

i mean i do literally fight the power by helping organize with the iww and anti-fascist groups in dc but go off

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
im surprised when people act like im unreasonable for wanting to respond in kind to people who would gladly see me put in a gas chamber and whose predecessors did it to my great grandparents and other family.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evernoob posted:

If this show actually shared a universe with any other franchise, which would it be?

(I like that writers of both The Martian and The Expanse officially aknowledged eachother to share the same universe)

probably children of men since they line up really well with eachother honestly. (this is helped by both of them only giving vague details about the state of the world at large)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

blue squares posted:

This was by far the most boring, worst episode of the entire series. And it unforgiveabley tries to make us feel bad for Serena. And the line "we could have been colleagues." This show is rapidly becoming centrism.mp4

yeah honestly a huge turn off for me this season is just how liberal the show is

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

I am super unclear on what kind of society Serena thought she was making. They've made it pretty clear she was instrumental in making Gilead.

lol do u think people like tomi lahren or ann coulter have any idea how miserable they would be in their "utopia" either

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just think it's so hilariously on point that when they're watching the canadian news broadcast it describes gilead in totally spineless "unbiased" language. "controversial, even retrograde policies"

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angrymantium posted:

I never really feel like this show tries to get the viewer to sympathize with Serena so much as it explores how much someone like that would actually hate living in Gilead. She does something horrendous in just about every episode, so any fleeting moment of humanity for her character is tempered with a reminder thar she's basically evil right down to her core, just without the kind of power she thought she'd be wielding. The episode where she did writing work with June and it's "we could be colleagues" line was a callback to when the handmaids were reminiscing about the ice cream shop, and Serena talked about wondering if they were ever there at the same time...which was met with silence from the handmaids.

Especially given how much the pre-Gilead centrists are poo poo on in the show, I don't get the "both sides" message at all. People held up signs with RESIST when Serena spoke at that college and they got run over by the Gilead machine anyway because they weren't treating that movement like the imminent threat it really was. If anything the show is telling the viewer that if facists aren't stomped on quick they'll worm their way into power one way or another.

pretty on point for how spineless the current #resist people are right now irl

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlbear Camus posted:

"We won't rest until a DEMOCRAT is in charge of Gilead. Then we'll assume everything is fine."

:emptyquote:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i remembered this meme just now and man some of the scenes in the show feel like this

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

veni veni veni posted:

The whole infertility issue in this show seems like it would be...not that hard to study? Like, even it wasn't easy to solve due to environmental reasons or whatever, wouldn't they really easily be able to pinpoint that it was men who are infertile?

wait i thought you were american too? why would white christian americans would handle the issue of massively declining birthrates in a not-batshit way?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

business hammocks posted:

Repressive regimes aren’t rational, or pursue power in ways that make things inefficient. It may be more important to them to enforce certain theological principles over the simplest solution, or any solution. There were people in America at the height of the polio epidemic who said it was immoral to spend tax dollars giving it away for free and that the only moral solution was to let capitalism do the rationing, so great was their investment in the idea of markets as arbiters of morality.

i mean look at how america handled the AIDS crisis

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Ugh, people have already given you real historical examples of societies changing even more dramatically in just as short of a timeframe.The United States of America are not special or magic in that regard. But whatever, you do what you have to do. Do your "thing"

my entire time growing up as an american there's always been a sense of "it cant happen here" even though it has and will continue to happen again and again

Kanine fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 27, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DasNeonLicht posted:

While we're sharing chilling parts of the book about how society slipped into Gilead, this one really got me:

Such a relatively small reactionary retrenchment, too easy to imagine happening today.

i mean an irl example comparable is businesses and schools getting rid of unisex bathrooms out of reaction towards trans people gaining more rights/visibility

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

veni veni veni posted:

I wonder why Missouri /Arkansas of all the things got wiped off the map.

i think a lot of nuclear silos are in that region so maybe warheads were scuttled by the retreating us military

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh man, the actor who plays commander commander lawrence also plays the dad in get out

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

JazzFlight posted:

Turns out Elon Musk would be hella on board with Gilead.

honestly people like jeff bezos or musk would 100% be on board with gilead (the capitalist class will always support fascism)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zane posted:

the so-called 'capitalist class' is responsive to the market -- and whatever values consumers/citizens choose to bring to the market. if a critical mass of consumers/citizens become fascists then capitalists will become fascists. the same situation obtain with any political ideology that works in a market economy. trump's manufacturing and economic advisory council collapsed in the wake of his behavior in charlottesville--musk being in fact the first person to resign from it--because there are enough non-racist americans voting with their dollars for big businessmen to not want their products to be explicitly associated with a racist crazy person.

i guarantee that as conditions get worse and more american workers start organizing and attempting to form unions/etc. in the next decade, billionaires like bezos and musk will move further right in response to it

Kanine fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 4, 2018

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
if we were undergoing the same specific conditions like in the handmaids tale (acceletated environmental catastrophe causing a massive decline in birthrate which swings the american public over to supporting an overtly theocratic regime) robber barons like bezos/musk/etc, would 100% go along with the new regime

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
it would have been interesting if the backstory to the handmaids tale was more like the spanish civil war where leftists manage to unilaterally win elections in the us (i know this is unrealistic lmao) with majority approval but then the sons of jacob overthrow the government and establish gilead as a response

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i love when people get really up in arms about the correct usage of the word fascism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/1995/06/22/ur-fascism/

• Locked thread