Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardennes
May 12, 2002

JazzFlight posted:

While I believe the flashback is framed through their twisted perspective, I also don't think some woke liberal college girl would shout Nazi oval office at her because of the misogynist connotation of that word.

Edit: Also, is this a retcon?:
Serena claimed birthrates fell 61% just in the last year (of whenever that speech was). I thought the premise of their world was that birthrates were falling since like the 60s and it was a slow crisis that evolved over decades. Was this just the premise of the book and not the show? When were birth rates officially falling in the TV timeline?

A big problem I had with the first few episodes of season one were how oblivious June seemed in her pre-Gilead flashbacks, when she apparently was born into a world of low birthrates.

I got the sense in the show, it was much more of a very sudden thing (similar to Children of Men). It is also why the growth of extreme fundamentalism is so shocking (June doesn't seem to really worry until Sons of Jacob pretty much were already in control).

There are other mysteries/questions:

What is the radioactive waste in the colonies from? Just normal waste or from a limited nuclear strike (it seems like they could be set somewhere in the Dakotas ie bunch of missile silos are up there)? How much of the US military was able to get away, and how much can the existing US government do?

Why does the US/Gilead seems relatively "blessed" with fertility when if anything they are making the situation worse with outdated techniques and mass purges/death?

How the hell is Gilead suppose last when if anything it seems it really doesn't have any sizable industries except some basic consumer goods and food? I assume the killed most of the people that kept the IT industry growing as well as any R&D. I mean the effective GDP of Gilead must be laughable looking at how the society is run.

Also China should be running the world pretty much at this point, there is little to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
As far as that map goes... according to it a bunch of US cities are actually under rebel control: Seattle, Houston, San Antonio, Portland, the Bay Area, and New Orleans. I don't know why the US and its allies is acting so timid, I guess Gilead is keeping rebel territory hostage with nukes and LA/SD was a demonstration? It seems like NATO and the rebels probably could straight up take Gilead in a straight up fight especially since its leadership is either mostly dead or incompetent.

Also, it kind of puts the series in a different perspective when maybe a good 1/4 - 1/3 of the population is still living in rebel territory.

(Also, guess it literally is happening in present-day considering the map is dated 2018, and Gilead has been around for at least 3 years (2015).

If you can't tell, the world building element is pretty much the only thing I am interested in this point, the writing has dropped off a cliff this season. (Also, trying to make Serena a sympathetic character...is not really the political message I signed up for.)

• Locked thread