Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

PaybackJack posted:

I like this show but boy does it lean on the melodrama a lot. Add in all the graphic violence, replace the facism with zombies and you're practically in The Walking Dead territory.

Except Handmaid's Tale is well written and well acted, with a plot that makes sense, and generally a fantastic if incredibly dark show, whereas TWD is a festering pile of poo poo the likes of which hasn't been seen since the later seasons of Dexter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

What were you expecting exactly? It's not like she was gonna escape to Canada and live happily ever after three eps in, and it would be pretty tedious to have her spend the entire season hiding in warehouses. Plus the whole hand burning thing in E1 would be pretty pointless if she was never going to see any of the other handmaidens again. She was always gonna be recaptured

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

:tviv:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

It was never bad

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

The point of debating fascists isn't to sway their opinion, it's to sway the opinion of any fence sitters listening who might be impressionable or gullible enough to listen to them but aren't yet fully indoctrinated fascists themselves. Just screaming abuse/beating them up might leave others who feel marginalized more sympathetic to the fascists' cause.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

idg how that bomb killed more handmaids than commanders. Sure, we saw there were some handmaids inside on the second floor, but that bomb went off right in the middle of the ground floor where all the commanders were sitting

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Pretty sure Serena just had that guy killed off to protect her household/"her" baby. It was purely self-interest. She's one of the founders of Gilead, it's just a bit of a stretch to say she's going revolutionary or reformed or whatever.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Most people are sterile, men and women. Gilead just blames the women.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Maybe I'm being bad at watching TV, but idg why June couldn't get the garage door open. She had keys to get in and start the car, so presumably the lock wasn't the problem. Was it just jammed or something?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

She went in through like a side door, and I think the garage door was electric and the power was cut. Or at least that's how I read it.

Oh yeah I understood how she got in, I just meant that she'd presumably have the key for the main door too. The power thing makes sense though, thanks.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

cocoavalley posted:

I think the garage was frozen shut, which is why she was unable to open it manually, and why she was out there with a shovel.

Surely a bucket of hot water would have done the trick then. No need for power to heat it, she had a fire going.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

thrilla in vanilla posted:

But more likely you're just alerting them that you're there and that you have a weapon.

That's really all it'd do? I'm no gun expert either, but I've seen what shotguns do to ducks at much longer distances than that, and while I know that humans are a lot tougher than ducks, you're gonna have a lot of pellets in you. Even if it's not lethal, I'd be surpised you'd be in any condition to pose a threat to anyone afterwards. Especially the Commander who's only just started walking unaided again after his last injury.

Then again the way June was holding the shotgun unbraced when she fired it into the air and didn't show much sign of noticing any recoil, let alone ending up on her arse, maybe that was a low-powered gun. More likely just a case of TV though.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 29, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

precision posted:

The fact that he's an Eye and a pretty trusted one does make one wonder if it would even matter if she turned him in for it, but the point stands.

The commander he reported to got blown up though, we don't know if his new superior has the same level of trust for him. We don't know what he actually did to earn that trust either. You'd assume it would be something pretty awful, which seems out of character as he seems to be a fundamentally decent enough guy who knows Gilead is hosed up.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I remember the recruitment scene, but getting a job isn't quite the same as having the level of trust to be able to rock up to your boss and get reassigned and get protection for your low-caste lover no questions asked

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lol nice one June

"Yeah you go girl, have an affair, love will prevail. I'm sure Gilead won't mind."

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

DrVenkman posted:

a superhero origin story.

huh?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

What annoys the gently caress out of me is that people say to another character HURRY RUN RUN

and then that character decides to look outside the window

or takes 30 seconds to answer someone's loving question

These people don't talk like real people.

esperterra posted:

This wasn't so bad in S1, but did start to grate on me by the end of of it. Especially when she takes so long to respond to Fred or Serena, you'd expect one of them to just be like 'hey slave i loving asked you a question speak up'.

Are the long awkward pauses much worse in S2?

I didn't mind this season as much as most people here, but yeah this is really annoying. How many times has Serena yelled at June to get out, and then stood there passively while June gives her the evil eye for 30 seconds?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I think the difference is that Serena publicly challenged him in front of the other commanders, so he had to show a strong response. When she forged orders under his name it may not have been in public, but presumably other commanders saw the orders, which would have also been publicly embarrassing for him.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

datajugend posted:

yeah i get that its because it was public, but junes plot armor is too drat strong. she could have been the suicide bomber but still survive without a scratch and waterford would have taken her back the next day.

Yeah I definitely agree she gets away with way too much staring

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I'm tired of episodes ending with June's mouth slowly twisting into a sinister grin/stare and then some badass music kicks in like "oh man shits about to go down", and then she just proceeds to do loving nothing or the dumbest poo poo ever in the next episode.

Also, I completely involuntarily yelled "get on the fuckin truck!" at the end of tonight's episode. It came from a place of pure rage.

End of season 1 finale:
"If they didn't want to be an army, they shouldn't have given us a uniform!"

Handmaids proceed to take half the next season to tell each other their names, and apart from one lone wolf suicide bomber and one non-lethal shanking of an aunt, achieve absolutely nothing else

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Loomer posted:

On the other hand, Emily is a white woman who got mutilated so that's gonna play great in the media.

Race is weirdly not a thing the show acknowledges at all though. Apart from the Commanders all being white, Gilead is a very racially egalitarian patriachal theocratic junta.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Race is definitely a thing in Gilead.

How so? I don't recall any explicit racism on the show, which is something I'd definitely expect from a ruling class of rich white male Christian fundamentalists. Like I wouldn't expect Moira to be a handmaiden in the first place, because I wouldn't expect the Commanders would want to have sex with a black woman, let alone father mixed-race children. Also, maybe I missed something, but in Gilead society at large, black people don't seem any more oppressed than anyone else, other than not being represented in the ruling class. The black family June hides out with seem to be living under the same conditions as their white neighbours and we see black Marthas who seem to have the same role as white ones. I forget, were there some black Guardians too?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

What was fake about it? She took one stab to the back of the shoulder and a fall down the stairs. I wouldn't expect that to be a lethal wound, and nothing about the way the scene was shot suggested she was dead/dying. They even explicitly showed the commander calling for an ambulance

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Sorry if this has been mentioned but, if women are NEVER allowed to read, how do they have an encyclopedic knowledge of Bible verses?

They were already hardcore Christians before Gilead and they were allowed to read then.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

CelestialScribe posted:

Someone posted these on Reddit from the cast party.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah and it's a shame because the show has some beautiful cinematography and several strong performances. If the writing was on the same level the show would be incredible instead of just good

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Wait, are you saying they wrote a season of TV to buy themselves time to write a season of TV?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

my biggest issue with BotB was that Rickon ran in a straight line. That's not bad at all.

The corpse pile was pretty ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Propaganda Machine posted:

But it isn't. Those things have happened throughout history. I actually thought it was a nice touch.

To the point that the pile is taller than the combatants? How is it getting that high, are people climbing on top of it to fight rather than fighting on stable ground? I'd be interested to see a historical example.

• Locked thread