Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
so is season 2 still bad or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Conversely, I think it's possible that the protesters and the shooter combined gave Serena and Fred the resolve, drive, and political capital to go literally nuclear with their plans for a country on a hill. If they'd been peacefully ignored perhaps they'd have faded into obscurity.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I didn't read the book, but we definitely get the impression that they are in the elite of the elite. Also consider that the people truly in charge rarely if ever take official positions that reflect their true power. Ben Franklin and Rasputin, for example. Fred and Serena are both considered pioneers and architects of the regime.

Not even to mention that Serena losing her womb to a shooter would easily be a rallying cry for these people.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

blue squares posted:

You're right. They should have beaten Serena and Fred up.

Not joking

I unironically agree here. The only way to take people like that out is to actually take them out.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
^^^ Maybe the Gilead equivalent of the Dosh Khaleen?

Anyway, Serena's masterplan drafting was unclear to me. What she said to June about it was vague to say the least. Yes, she needs her help, but she also has all the leverage over June she could ever need with or without the baby, so I'm not convinced on the trust/secrecy aspect. At most I'm imagining what another poster said: a series of small changes that will prevent immediate deployment of martial law but not a lot else. I would be shocked if she's suddenly a woman of the people. This series generally has good writing and consistent characters.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's hard to tell what's hard-coded (hates gender traitors) and not (doesn't want to torment the handmaid) on a broad level. She somewhat addresses Offred as an equal about her bedroom issues, after all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Martha is to handmaid as Rita is to Offred.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Handmaidens are surrogates though, with the child's ownership going to another household. Even if that law was in place wouldn't the child still go to the man whose seed it was? Regardless, her relationship started over six months later and lasted long enough to get serious, so...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
This is almost a good use of Last Man Standing, which is a terrible show. That said, Tim Allen's righteous indignation at Gilead's lack of manliness would be refreshing in context.

This week, he shows Fred how to snake a drainpipe.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It stuck out to me against that season 1 flashback where Serena and Fred are gleefully hooking up and seem genuinely happy and in love. I'm not sure what to take from that. They definitely laid it on thick this week getting us to empathize with Serena though.

Also, I get it, but Nick could stand to be less of an rear end to that poor teenager. She's doing her best and it's pretty good.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Super fair.

Regarding Canada, they're just not a warfaring country. I imagine most of the world would be clutching their pearls in response to Gilead.

Regarding Serena, I think I buy it. She's clearly grown up religious, but because she was so devout she never felt repressed. Now she does. We can condemn her for helping to build this, but we SHOULD be looking at Fred and his buddies, unknown as they may be.

I get the impression that Serena was the frog in boiling water, content to take a warm bath until it started to burn and it was too late. I won't join with people relishing in this. It strikes me more as a tragedy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Crow Jane posted:

She outright said that she wrote the laws at some point in season one.

Thanks for clearing that up. I marathoned season 1 so my recall of quick details here isn't stellar. There's my sympathy gone, anyway. Good thing too; I wasn't enjoying it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I thought they showed the whole thing fully last season when Janine gave birth. Still creepy of course.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I think it was written shortly before my aunt went through ivf to make my cousin (call that 1988). I don't know how much that process has changed but at the time it was very intense and involved.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Ann Dowd is killing it. She took Aunt Lydia from early 20th century schoolteacher monster to the most sympathetic Other in the show. Like how we sit here giggling a bit over Serena not liking the bed she made for herself, it's more tragic to see Lydia more deeply question her values and what society demands of her girls. Dowd's face does better acting than most of Hollywood.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I don't know, I think that kind of fan service really cheapens this show. We're already complaining about the ten seasons thing. It's like the above poster said, there's the curiosity at what she meant by the death not being her fault. That sentiment loses a lot of weight if it gets explained.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Never question what can be accomplished with nukes and 4chan users.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
And Iran was a particularly potent example of a modern society. Check out Persepolis for a lighter but very informative overview.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Also this show would be 1000% better if June had shot the commander and his wife.

It didn't look like a very good shot. Even if it was, June was obviously uncomfortable holding the rifle.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pocket Billiards posted:

Let's discuss calibres to the nearest thousandths of an inch and muzzle velocities. There is zero merit to any piece of fiction unless full ballistic realism is demonstrated.

Nobody was doing that.

This season has decimated any faith I have in the writers' room, though, so while this is a fascinating discussion I think the only point of that scene was to show June thinking about it, getting kind of close, and concluding that it would be a stupid move for idiots, or at least a stupid move for her. Which it would have been.

That said, riflechat is far, far more interesting than anything else that happened this week so I'm all for it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
She may have gotten farther than you think. New England is a small place, let alone Eastern Massachusetts. Wherever the hell the house was, it was somewhere in there if not even further north in New Hampshire somewhere. From there to the Canadian border is roughly a 3.5-4 hour drive.

Keep in mind that nobody knows where June is except for her daughter, that Martha, and their Gilead thug, and the Waterford household is the only place that knows she's missing. If she gets that car out of the garage, June has plenty of time to make it.

My concerns, like yours, are more along the lines of being spotted as a female driver, or being spotted driving in any amount of red garb, or running out of gas, or (most likely) running into a routine Gilead checkpoint within about a half hour.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That spoiler is some bullshit I think. I gave up after silencepalooza last week and may catch up out of boredom at some point, but jfc.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

This is the episode 12 stuff from the leak that reddit post is missing:

https://i.imgur.com/IAd6Tpv.jpg

I'm a whole season behind but from what I gathered in this thread (and the reddit one) this seems accurate?

lol, thanks for saving me an hour or so.

To clarify, by "bullshit" I meant in terms of the show going off the rails, not accuracy. I fully trust the accuracy with these idiots at the helm. See also: Game of Thrones season 8 spoilers.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
At this point all I hope for is the comedy potential of Nick going through teenage brides and watching them get themselves executed in response to his awful behavior.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'm putting more thought into this than the writers, but the commander being as disingenuous as he is, I feel positive that he'd be pulling strings for the cute handmaid willing to suck him off and make him look good at ... Jezebel was it? Whatever. But lord knows he's not getting laid.

The subtext that I don't think the writers or showrunners are even looking at is that the loss of human intimacy is driving the commanders literally mad. gently caress June making dramatic faces at the camera. I want to see more of the commanders.

I mean Mormons have better sex than Gilead and trust me, they're messed in the head.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, sadly that's not how revenue and publicity and Emmy vehicles work. They should have just made it a miniseries.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Le Saboteur posted:

Her reason makes sense considering the ringer she's been put through leading to the finale. But yeah if she just ends up back at the Waterfords somehow the whole consistentcy of the shows universe is shot.

This sentiment (not just you) had taken me to wondering about June's old commander and wife, what happened there, and how they may figure in at this point. The question of how June ended up at House Waterford is almost the most interesting thing left. Does the book cover it?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Lum_ posted:

And I suspect the chunk of active rebellion in Vermont, a short drive away from Boston, is quite relevant for next season and not just a Bernie Sanders joke.

It makes sense. Vermont is surprisingly self-sufficient, and they happen to like their guns. Or at least enough of them do.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
You know those headers on Hulu? The one of June staring dramatically into a fire, and the other one of Serena walking across a room? Might as well be the whole drat show.

Having production equipment visible in Serena's shot just adds to the low rent charm.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yep, and glassing cities is really all they'd have to do to get rid of most of their opposition. It's easy to forget what this country looks like outside of the liberal urban bubbles.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey, I just admire this goon's good-hearted sense of naivete. Where can I get some?

What they seem not to have found on Wikipedia is a very simple fact of revolution: a successful one takes about 15-20% of the population to be committed and fervent. There's not much need to get more granular than that here.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Bates posted:

Not really. It stands and falls with the military. If it stays loyal and willing to shoot civilians there's simply not going to be a revolution. The military can even seize power with no civilian support at all.

Just about all of our military is either abroad or clustered about the sporadic large bases throughout the country. Domestic mobilization is operated by the National Guard per state. They get orders from above and all but it's still a looser organizational structure. I might be slightly wrong but I think that'd more likely to happen here.

Regardless, servicemembers veer conservative and I think you'd see much stronger support for Gilead within their ranks, to bring things back to our poor, abused television show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Yeah, that's the smoking gun of the writing room being on crack this year.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Kanine posted:

my entire time growing up as an american there's always been a sense of "it cant happen here" even though it has and will continue to happen again and again

It's called American exceptionalism and it's one of our worst traits.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hating on goons for being autistic usually works. In this case, however...

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
It's just that it usually takes until season 5 for a show to vet this far off track. I mean misfits season 3 definitely wasn'tnt great but I still d enjoyed watching it.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hoo boy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

esperterra posted:

Like Rhys was amazing, don't get me wrong, but I think Russell was the faaaaar better actor for the whole series (which says a lot 'cause Rhys slayed). She played Elizabeth so loving perfectly and I'm salted she didn't win.

Tho I'm glad Claire Foy took it over Elizabeth Moss.

I think the greatest crime against The Americans was every time GoT won best writing over them. ffs one of those wins was a battle episode with barely any dialogue, the director would have done most of the heavy lifting there!

To be fair to GoT (and I really hate doing that, the show doesn't deserve it, at least not anymore) there's a lot of ink on the page that isn't dialogue. Scene settings and rough battle sequences are generally laid down in the script. Yes, choreography and direction did a lot of heavy lifting, but especially if this is Battle of the Bastards we're talking about...I strongly agree that The Americans is a much better show, but my biggest issue with BotB was that Rickon ran in a straight line. That's not bad at all.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Wafflecopper posted:

The corpse pile was pretty ridiculous

But it isn't. Those things have happened throughout history. I actually thought it was a nice touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Battle of the Bastards

And the battle is supposedly based both on Agincourt and particularly Cannae. If the latter had a death toll even half as large as Livy claimed, that's still 20,000 people. If you read up on the battle, Carthage's pincer attack on Rome was basically an even bigger version of what we saw on the show.

And all of it is still more believable than the final scene of season 2, here :v:

• Locked thread