Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

blue squares posted:

This was by far the most boring, worst episode of the entire series. And it unforgiveabley tries to make us feel bad for Serena. And the line "we could have been colleagues." This show is rapidly becoming centrism.mp4

I...don't see how you're coming to that conclusion. This episode was doubling down on the fact that Serena Joy helped gently caress over 51% of the population and she has to live with that inescapable fact. She's meant to be pitiable but not sympathetic.

edit: Hell, there was the mirroring of Offred/June helping Serena Joy and Emily/Oflgen's point about Janine being happy about only having to do the "bare minimum" during the Ceremony; they're still getting violently mishandled and abused by Gilead no matter what. It might be a lessening of the pain but the symptom is still killing them.

Vanderdeath fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

blue squares posted:

Because the main character sympathizes and feels bad for her.

Offred/June has to sympathize with her captor because she has power over her and her daughter(s)' lives. Why do you think as soon as Offred/June realized she fell out of favor with Serena Joy she immediately went to Commander Waterford to try and get back in his good graces? She's trying to survive, full stop.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

esperterra posted:

Ann Dowd is a bloody treasure.

I hadn't seen her until The Leftovers but now I'm so glad whenever I see her pop up. She's an incredible actor and I think we deserve an Aunt Lydia background episode.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'm the world where New York City fell to a bunch of Fundies but Pensacola stayed loyal.

Gilead had/has hella nukes which is probably the only reason why the rest of the world even deals with them. It's not hard to believe that NYC, Boston, etc. would be way more amenable to complying with the new government after seeing L.A. and San Diego turned into glass.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yeah one of the main problems with this season is that the writers are trying to humanize people who are complete monsters. There is no way for me to feel any empathy towards Serena considering the active role she played in bringing about Gilead.

Humanizing people who do abhorrent and awful things is a way to show that their actions still come from a place that is fundamentally (pardon the pun) human. It's way, way easier to just write Serena Joy as a complete loving monster 24/7 but seeing her go from erstwhile ally when Fred's impaired "for the greater good" to an awful co-rapist when she doesn't get what she wants displays her twisted morality, in my opinion.

I don't think we're ever supposed to empathize with Serena Joy. We're supposed to pity her because she's living in a hell of her own making and this entire season has driven that point home. When push came to shove, she did one decent thing (letting Nichole go), but only after getting humiliated in Canada, beaten by her husband that she thought was her ally and then ultimately hosed over by him entirely with the finger chopping. Every action of hers has been selfish and came from a place of self-interest barring the act to allow women to read.

I didn't mind S2 and I hope S3 is about June going full Harriet Tubman while we see Gilead start to completely collapse.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Anyone who says the United States couldn't fall into a theocracy real loving fast has probably never stepped foot in this country. I'm from the Bible Belt and I'm certain that a 3/4ths of my home state would absolutely revel in having a fundamentalist government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

esperterra posted:

They never gave Keri Russell an Emmy for The Americans and I am forever salted.

This is legit the tragedy of The Americans. Forever underrated and the best actor on the show gets shafted one last time after the final bow. While it was cool that Rhys got an Emmy and he was definitely great in the show, Russell was on fire for the last two seasons straight.

• Locked thread