Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Fragmented posted:

Thank you for making this thread. I was staring at gifs and source codes two nights ago trying to get my posting mojo on but i....didn't do anything. Unlike our hero! Cutting my ear off to own the chuds!

I'm only now catching up, but :holymoley: there has to be a better way to remove those things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

clean ayers act posted:

I was under the impression that whatever the women in the colonies were exposed to was extremely toxic... seems like they might not give birth to the healthiest babies anymore?

Yeah, I thought about this too. Maybe they're desperate, or willing to roll the dice?

Gilead is probably not the best administrative state, but the podcast I listen to (Red All Over) also noted that it is very convenient writing to send these two fuckups back to the very same community they caused havoc. Recalling them as handmaids is one thing, but you think they'd rotate them to a new part of the country.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
drat, good one

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pocket Billiards posted:

All the Handmaids are in one place as far as I understand it. Boston being the administrative centre of the Republic and the Handmaids only assigned to Commanders/Officers.

Really? When do they say Boston is the administrative center? Hasn't Commander Waterford talked about DC a bit?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Yeah, those scenes reminded me of the line from the book:

She stays in her home, but it doesn’t seem to agree with her. How furious she must be, now that she’s been taken at her word.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

precision posted:

I hope they expand on this somewhat, because yeah right now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. We know that Serena's official position was "women should stay home and have kids because the planet's dyin' Cloud!" but we've also seen that she clearly resents or doesn't agree with things like "women shouldn't learn how to read or ever use a pen" and there's a gap they need to fill in there.

I think it's a criticism of reactionaries — lots of folks want to go back to the way things were, but here we get to see someone realize that "wow, the old way actually kind of sucks in ways I wasn't able to appreciate" and "all I could see in modernity was evil, but I didn't know how good I had it."

I hate read a lot of reactionaries, and Serena reminds me of this downright wistful piece by Helen Andrews about women anti-suffragists. Andrews is incredibly smart and a great writer, but it's like, uh, sister — do you know what kinds of men flock to your writing, and where you fit in to their worldview?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

veni veni veni posted:

I think one of the most unsettling/rage inducing things in this show is how comfortable people in Gilead are with their insane hosed up entitlement. . . .

It's just horrifying because it feels too plausible in that scenario that people would act exactly like that.

Very different case, but I have to bring up Scott Pruitt and his self-important theology as a real-world example — such an appalling caricature of a "Everything that exists God created to serve us — and to serve me in particular." An impossibly shallow theology that uses God's will as a middle finger that lets you do whatever hosed up things you want.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I think the scene with the American fed (what exactly was his job?) was my favorite.

You've gotta hand it to Serena, "I'm afraid I didn't pack for the beach" was pretty :newlol:

I also liked this extremely :911: moment

quote:

"If you had done better research you would know that I would never betray my country."
"I thought you already did."
:patriot:

Also, why was Serena so sure Tuello was a reporter? Just naturally suspicious abroad, or did I miss some detail about him that gave him away?

Edit: "America the Beautiful" was a bit much, though. Couldn't stop thinking of that awful ending to The Deer Hunter

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 13, 2018

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

etalian posted:

If Serena was a real person should would probably be working at one of those Fox News panel shows.

Or First Things or Heritage? Too highbrow?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Catching up on the thread after a few episodes —

HELLO LADIES posted:

:words:

I do think it's stupid that they put the sheet in, because it's actually from a very different theological and cultural stream and makes zero sense in hosed up neo-Calvinism when we look at the greater whole. . . . :words:

Good explanation and critique, thank you.

Zteuer posted:

Now I want to play The Long Dark as a pregnant woman.

Serious The Long Dark vibes from the beginning of that episode.

cocoavalley posted:

I've reread the book recently since I'd forgotten a lot of the details. The showrunners have already taken creative liberties, but even if they want to stay mostly true to the book, they could really drag this out. The epilogue takes place ~150 years after June's story, and they don't even know if June got out of Gilead. All they have are tapes that she recorded that were found in Maine, and they know that Waterford died shortly after the events described on the tapes. Gilead sticks around for a long time, and things get worse before they get better. At first Gilead only separated families that were built on second+ marriages, but eventually any marriage outside of Gilead law became unrecognized and subject to reassignment. No one's past was safe if the law decided to retroactively deem something illegal.

Quality post, thanks for this.

MeinPanzer posted:

1. Why the gently caress did June go to Serena with the bible? What did she expect from that whole exchange? So last episode Serena allowed her to breastfeed Nicole, something that shows a modicum of compassion but is ultimately self-serving. Now she goes to Serena expecting her to, what, let her and Holly go free? She could never have expected that Serena would do what she did. This made no sense.

2. I feel like this is the tenth time I've thought this, but why did we get like five episodes of inconsequential bullshit at the beginning of the season while this whole incredibly important plotline in which Serena takes radical moves to improve women's rights and all the other wives apparently are totally on board unfurls in a single episode? The writers couldn't have drawn that out a bit longer, maybe build some intrigue from Serena conspiring with one or two other wives all the while fearing that their husbands or other wives might find out?

4. Again, why would Serena all of a sudden be willing to give up her daughter, when she's clearly still super conservative and literally everything the show has indicated up until now is that all she wanted was a baby. You're telling me that because she suddenly tried to get slightly more rights for women and was punished for it that she's going to give up the one thing she's always wanted and allow her daughter to be raised in a sinful, heathen country? Did the writers forget the argument between her and Fred in the empty house where she freaked out at him and basically said that the only thing that mattered was her having a daughter? In lovely hierarchies like this, privileged people usually have exactly the attitude she had when June confronted her with the bible -- "my daughter will be raised right." Again, there's been no real reason to believe that she's suddenly become some humanitarian.

Completely agree with these. So much out of left field, and so hard to believe.

Content:

Lowkey most interesting part of the episode was this map (sorry I couldn't get a higher resolution screenshot). Things I note: fairly dull regional names for each of those outlined districts ("Northern District," "Northwestern District," "Atlantic District"); large radioactive zones in Arkansas, Arizona, and it looks like California got nuked (sorry, guys); and I'd guess the heavy red shading means those areas are militarized. Gilead is blue for sure, but I'm not sure what the yellow and red parts of the map are.

The stamped document on the left is a Gilead Department of Justice case against a Martha who is a gender traitor I think.

Anyone who could come up with a legible version of the map and key would be a hero. I love things like that.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hell yeah, thank you so much, CelestialScribe

Still wonder why those states are red instead of blue. Maybe they don't have stable Gilead governments.

You know Gilead's never going to get control of the UP

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

MeinPanzer posted:

Commander Waterford: Where is she!?!?! Where is our baby!?!?

SUDDENLY, THE DOOR BURSTS OPEN. JUNE WALKS IN WEARING FULL TACTICAL GEAR CARRYING DOUBLE DEAGLES. SHE STARES STRAIGHT INTO THE CAMERA AND SMIRKS EVILLY FOR 30 SECONDS STRAIGHT AS "LET THE BODIES HIT THE FLOOR" PLAYS.

I loled

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

cocoavalley posted:

Yes, the way the book describes is chilling, especially considering it was written 30+ years ago.

[passage from the book]

Shortly after is when they seize all women's accounts and force them to quit their jobs.

While we're sharing chilling parts of the book about how society slipped into Gilead, this one really got me:

quote:

"That dormitory had once been co-educational, there were still urinals in one of the washrooms on our floor. But by the time I'd got there they'd put the men and women back the way they were."

Such a relatively small reactionary retrenchment, too easy to imagine happening today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Rewire did a two-part podcast series last year titled "Marching Toward Gilead" about theocrats in the United States: Part 1, Part 2

I recommend those two episodes for this thread, but in general, Choice/less is really well produced and a good podcast for anyone interested in reproductive rights. Here's a link to one of their best episodes.

• Locked thread