Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
the tampa bay light men have paid off the skates, this is collusion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Koopa Kid posted:

I don’t think there’s precedent for blowing the whistle in that scenario, it’s not a helmet and they don’t blow the whistle if the goalie loses a glove or his stick. I think it’s just tough luck

Overall this is a good summary. I would compare it to how the whistle is immediately blown if the goalies mask comes off. I guess not as dangerous, but it effectively makes the goalie immobile.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

JoelJoel posted:

Why do people think that shouldn't count? If he drops his stick should the play be stopped too?

He should've taken his mask off like a man.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol "hey rat lock this" sign.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
If anyone can make a gif of Rask throwing the blade, that would be a great avatar.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah I don't see any reason they should blow it down. They don't blow it down if a skater loses a blade

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

HammerOfHope posted:

He should've taken his mask off like a man.

Or flipped the net off.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Maybe you change the rules but as they stand there was no reason to blow the whistle.

It’s possible Rask might’ve even made the save if he hadn’t been waving his hands around for the ~5 seconds leading up to the shot.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

HOW COULD YOU posted:

the tampa bay light men have paid off the skates, this is collusion

:argh:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
That's the type of thing that would happen to Maf

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Duck Rodgers posted:

Yeah I don't see any reason they should blow it down. They don't blow it down if a skater loses a blade

goaltender equipment malfunctions are always a stoppage in play, idk if that's a proper rule but whistles get blown for it all the time

it's true that it doesn't apply for skaters but I've seen whistles blown for far less when it comes to goalies

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

lol nbc "WHY DONT THE BAD MEN GO TO THE BOX WHEN THEY THROW?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Duck Rodgers posted:

They don't blow it down if a skater loses a helmet either.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

goaltender equipment malfunctions are always a stoppage in play, idk if that's a proper rule but whistles get blown for it all the time

it's true that it doesn't apply for skaters but I've seen whistles blown for far less when it comes to goalies

loving what? Mask, okay, most of the time. Anything else and it's on the goalie.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

HOW COULD YOU posted:

lol nbc "WHY DONT THE BAD MEN GO TO THE BOX WHEN THEY THROW?"

If they're going to be whiny little babies, they should go to timeout :colbert:

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

JoelJoel posted:

loving what? Mask, okay, most of the time. Anything else and it's on the goalie.

dont try to reason with bostonians

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

Rask couldn't play the position without the skateblade, that swimming move was him repeatedly trying and failing to push off without his skate.

There's nothing in the rules about things being blown head in that situation, but man it sucks

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Yeah I’ve never seen them blow the whistle for anything except the mask. They’ll delay the game between whistles if a goalie needs a repair, for sure, but not during play.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

i am the bird posted:

Maybe you change the rules but as they stand there was no reason to blow the whistle.

It’s possible Rask might’ve even made the save if he hadn’t been waving his hands around for the ~5 seconds leading up to the shot.

He was 4 feet away from where the shot went in with no way to move.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Yeah but skaters aren’t supposed to have pucks whipped at their heads regularly and don’t spend half the game in a crouch.

The sad thing is Rask could have just whipped his helmet off and it would have been fine, but the skate blade isn’t a safety issue

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

They don't blow it down if a skater loses a helmet either.

That's a safety issue though. If Boston wanted it blown down they should have got possession

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I'm sure you'll see something in the rules in the future to blow that dead, it just wasn't anticipated.

Ref shoulda had balls and blew it imo, fairness of the law

also who told Rick Nash it was November

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
They don't blow the whistle when literally any other player loses a blade, the goalie shouldn't be any different. His skate wasn't affected by another player outside of getting hit by a puck shot by one. That's on the equipment manager getting poo poo together correctly. Still not a fault caused by the other team and not one that would put Rask in danger.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

He was 4 feet away from where the shot went in with no way to move.

Yeah which is why he was completely immobile after the play chasing after the refs, okay. I’m not saying he was hypermobile or that he should’ve made the save, he just shouldn’t have assumed that he could completely stop playing for a rule that doesn’t exist.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

i am the bird posted:

Yeah I’ve never seen them blow the whistle for anything except the mask. They’ll delay the game between whistles if a goalie needs a repair, for sure, but not during play.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it if the goalie loses the trapper, but that definitely happens way less

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

T-Bone posted:

I'm sure you'll see something in the rules in the future to blow that dead, it just wasn't anticipated.

Ref shoulda had balls and blew it imo, fairness of the law

Uh no, if your gear breaks and it's not a safety issue it's your own fault.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Mormon Juggernaut posted:

dont try to reason with bostonians

lmao do you watch the NHL ever or just during playoffs? I have blatantly seen whistles blown for stuff like pads falling off or masks as other people have also pointed out. maybe a skate blade isn't up to the same standard of safety as pads or masks, but :laffo: if you actually think whistles have never ever been blown for a goalie equipment malfunction before. try watching hockey sometime it's actually pretty good

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

marioinblack posted:

If they're going to be whiny little babies, they should go to timeout :colbert:

well it would be hard for them to commentate the game from the box

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Equating a goalie not being able to move to a player is lol, let's not be obtuse

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i am enjoying this open season on brad marchand

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

Equating a goalie not being able to move to a player is lol, let's not be obtuse

no you see they are the same as the players but with thickers sticks and bigger pants

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Quality spin-dive from Marchand there

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, yes, refs should be free to invent rules and do whatever they deem fit.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
There probably should be a rule about it, but there isn’t. Thems the breaks.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

HOW COULD YOU posted:

it dont stop pierre he fukken loves it in there :smith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Rask makes some good saves when he has working skates.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

lmao do you watch the NHL ever or just during playoffs? I have blatantly seen whistles blown for stuff like pads falling off or masks as other people have also pointed out. maybe a skate blade isn't up to the same standard of safety as pads or masks, but :laffo: if you actually think whistles have never ever been blown for a goalie equipment malfunction before. try watching hockey sometime it's actually pretty good

i've never watched the nhl obviously because I don't believe a skate blade = a mask or pad

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

HOW COULD YOU posted:

I would be fine with Milbury being shoved in the box.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Once again, they don’t blow play dead for a goalie losing a blocker or glove, and that’s way more dangerous than not being able to push off. The refs have no precedent to ensure the goalie a fair save

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Can we all come together and agree that burkie looks like a complete tool?

• Locked thread