Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
this is what my phone did a couple years ago, better than i thought but still not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

post hole digger posted:

yeah i upgraded from an iphone 11 pro recently, and didnt realize that the zoom functionality had gotten so much better in the last few versions. even like 3x or 4x zoom on the 11 would result in a grainy pic. i've been thinking about getting a dslr lately too, but for day-to-day stuff its tough to beat 'oh hey look a bird' and whipping out the device you are already carrying in your pocket.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a lot of ai'ish filtering/upscaling at play there though, unfortunately it tends to look worse the longer one looks.

like, amazing picture, but the improvement from just being grainy is a bit mixed.

nearly all of the advancements in phone camera quality in the last 5-ish years have been computational, not optical. sometimes the actual camera hardware doesn't even change from one iphone or pixel phone to the next -- they just plug in even more ~algorithms~.

there is some insanely complex and really technically impressive stuff going on behind the scenes. on a modern phone when you hit the shutter the phone is actually capturing like 60 separate full-resolution frames, 30 before (constant loop buffer) and 30 after the moment you pressed, then analyzing them all to find the one where everyone's smiling and the eyes are open etc. then it uses that one as the "core" photo and starts feeding in all the rest. it does heavy denoising based on characterized models of the sensor response. it does subpixel sharpening by comparing one image in the chain to the next. it stacks exposures to improve dynamic range. if it can't find a single frame where everyone's eyes are open, it stitches multiple ones together. it uses input from multiple cameras (they're all capturing simultaneously, of course) to construct a stereo depth map and then synthetically blur the background. and then it runs the whole output through an AI trained on professional portrait photos to resynthesize the color, shading, lighting, even skin texture.

overall, this makes your photos look !really nice! so people like it! but if you want the ground truth of the image? lool. one time google pushed an update to their camera that hosed up the last step and it started outright reshaping people's faces. (i did some looking into it and i think it was a misapplied version of this paper's tech https://people.csail.mit.edu/yichangshih/wide_angle_portrait/)

polyester concept posted:

realistic depth of field also comes from optical compression and always looks weird when applied to a photo digitally. idk if it would ever be possible to get that on a phone because physics just doesn’t allow it

yep. the phone camera does an excellent job if you use it within its limitations and take pictures of things that most people take pictures of so the ai can do its work. but the phone's algorithms still need data to work with and you can't get around physics. the tiny sensor produces objectively crappy output -- if you ever saw a raw pixel-for-pixel single frame, you'd be shocked how bad it is. the digital zoom does an incredible job now because, again, it's not just pixel-doubling, but taking a dozen slightly shifted (as your hand trembles) photos in a fraction of a second and averaging them to find the data. impressive! but it only works to a point and once you're at 4x zoom, trying to synthesize 16 pixels from 1 real one...well...

and real bokeh (shallow depth of field) effects cannot be achieved with a phone sensor, no. lens physics don't let you get much below f/1.4 without extreme engineering compromises, and the strength of the bokeh effect is set by the ratio of focal length to object distance. for a given f-stop an SLR with a 50mm focal length has bokeh 10 times as strong as a phone with a 5mm focal length, assuming you're taking pictures of the same subject from the same distance, and there is no way to change that fact.

soooooo anyway yeah the reason you get these bigger fancier cameras is you want a clean, true image that hasn't been hosed with, and full control over exactly how that image is made. but you have to put a lot of money into a kit to get something that, for average photos to the average person, doesn't look any better than what their iphone can do.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
computational photography is really interesting and cool and canon and nikon are cowards for not implementing it on their flagship mirrorless bodies imo

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I would want an option to turn it off, though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big scary monsters posted:

computational photography is really interesting and cool and canon and nikon are cowards for not implementing it on their flagship mirrorless bodies imo

yeah i think so too. you couldn't do every single trick that phones do, since you need multiple cameras for some of them, but any device that is continuously recording (so mirrorless, wouldn't work on slrs) and which can buffer a few dozen full-res frames at 30+ fps should be able to do most of it. it would be pretty cool to see what could be achieved with the same computational tricks but a vastly higher quality input.

lol @ battery life once every photo needs to get pushed through a local ai model though.

big scary monsters posted:

I would want an option to turn it off, though

obviously. but ken rockwell will tell you to turn it on because it's always better than what you can do yourself

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 18, 2024

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I guess eye detection autofocus tracking is them dipping their toes in that pool in a way that doesn't have internet photography nerds losing their minds. but I'd really like to see what results you could get using phone camera techniques with a big sensor and some serious glass

you're right battery life would be a problem though, mirrorless already suffers there compared to dslrs with optical viewfinders

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
as penance for talking tech in this holy thread, here are some (big camera) photos from a recent trip to sweden

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

nice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

this is where i want my body to be found (by animals)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I saw some elephant seals

Don't worry, they're all alive, just extremely lazy

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
that's cool, I would like to see some elephant seals. there are also at least two more seals and two fewer rocks in that photo than I initially thought

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

peak performance

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
:eyepop:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

check out the YCIAPOS thread and micro four-thirds cameras.

beef got you onto his affiliate link racket too huh

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

beef got you onto his affiliate link racket too huh

:ssh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

wondering if that means it’ll end up with a worse final image if you used a tripod

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again

when I used one of those AI enlarging tools, I used it on a picture of my face, and when you got up close the results were truly disturbing. it basically added skin texture .. but not from me.. obv from the training data .. but it was really disturbing to see my own face with not my own skin texture.

if it wasn’t me maybe I simply wouldn’t have noticed, and I wonder if a photographer or whatever has handed some work back to someone without realising this has happened because only someone who knew the/ person up close and well enough might realise it’s profoundly hosed up

uncanny valley kinda poo poo

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

echinopsis posted:

i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again

… a picture of my face … up close… truly disturbing… it was really disturbing to see my own face

… it’s profoundly hosed up
:hmmyes:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:cry:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

lol

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

fishing o clock. looking kinda lumpy out there. starting sunrise-ish tomorrow

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

nice

i found out you can pack your bike in a bikebox and bring it with you to your destination as checked luggage. i think I'm going to use this info to hit some alpine biking with my own gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Yeah, and lots of bike shops offer packing/unpacking services if you don't have the tools/want to do it yourself.