Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the duck is amazing, landscape amazing, good monkey story, A+

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lil bit of a dump here

went for a bit of a drive. I don't really think any of these photos are particularly good but eh maybe the countryside is a bit different to what you're used to so might be interesting nonetheless

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i like #3, 5, 7, 8, and 10

5 has the best colors though

:nice:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I enjoyed those pictures very much

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I am very glad to hear it :dukedoge:

81523_5
Aug 16, 2023
has never left tech behind for over 5 years in the distant future due to poverty

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

I am very glad to hear it :dukedoge:

could you name some of those mountains? they're quite nice

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm idk

overall it’s one edge of the sourthern alps, around the craigieburn area

tbh i’ve never heard anyone call them anything, they’re just moutan’s u drive past

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

echinopsis posted:

hmmm idk

tbh i’ve never heard anyone call them anything, they’re just moutan’s u drive past

oh; i do in fact climb around on them, that's why i asked. yours are tall enough i'd skip any of the parts with technical climbing, avalanche risk etc. i climb the less serious / dangerous ones, although i've climbed all over in new england. it's good exercise, nice views. plus you might spot a tahr up there

something like that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
interesting. word on the street is that nz is very good for outdoors because we have a lot of state run huts all over the place, at least a lot compared
to australia. but who knows how it compares to the north america

tbh the biggest way that nz scenery tends to be different to north american isn’t like that ours is better or whatever but just there is a huge variety in a very small set of islands.

it amazed me when we drove thru the us where you’d have like a kind of scenery but it’d last for hours and hours rather than changing up every 20
minutes (except where I live the canterbury plains which is the most boring part of nz by a mile)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

echinopsis posted:

hmmm idk

[in extreme sheep enjoyer voice] Well basically theere just bleedy meentans mate.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

wiki has a panorama of the range

linked because it's 12 mb

couple of them have ski slopes on them

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 16, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hey I was just there

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pretty uninspired to call them the Alps, but beautiful regardless

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not the alps, it's shorthand for 'a large pointy's

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tag urself i'm mt cheeseman

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Cockayne, Mt. Cockayne

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

im helter skeltering down mt Manson

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

they wanted to name it Mt Cloudy but Cloudy Hill was right over there so they went with Mt Cloudsley

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

how did this thread fall off the first page

bump

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

how did this thread fall off the first page

bump

this is the biggest month where people actually wander off into the woods

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

this is the biggest month where people actually wander off into the woods

can confirm

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

this looks nice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i went into the woods but all i saw was smoke

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
where there's smoke there's trees

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

where there's smoke there's trees

i think you mean "where there's trees there's smoke"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
not all the time

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

phoneposting, sorry if huge

very cool, very normal

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i'm about 900km from the nearest tree but i have a strong desire to wander off so i hope you will permit me to bump

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

what do you guys use for photos while hiking looking for something better than my phone, but more portable/lighter than my ancient dslr

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
not to be smug, but, buy a better phone. it'll solve every problem you have here for less money than anything that's not a modern phone

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The Fool posted:

what do you guys use for photos while hiking looking for something better than my phone, but more portable/lighter than my ancient dslr

get a fuji mirrorless, op

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I used to have an x-t2 and it was the perfect size for an interchangeable lens camera. I upgraded to the x-t4 and it’s quite a bit chunkier. i kinda wish I didn’t because I upgraded for non image quality reasons and now I just have a slightly bigger and heavier version

the funniest difference is that the x-t2 proudly had “made in japan” printed on the bottom, but the x-t4 has “made in china” hidden inside the battery compartment

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 20, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Fool posted:

Sony alpha?

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

The Fool posted:

im not a camera person but i did dabble with DSLRs etc and tbh having a phone with a good camera is probably your best bet. unless you are wanting some special shots (e.g. long exposure) or shots of animals, in which case you'll probably need a big ol lense and/or tripods and the works.

that said you can get special clips and harnesses that make it somewhat less annoying, i use something like this https://www.rei.com/product/132089/peak-design-capture-30-camera-clip though it still kind of pulls annoyingly at one side or another. i would probably try a vest or something with one of those chest mounts, its probably the most comfortable (tho i haven't actually used one)

something like this maybe? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345430-REG/cotton_carrier_686grey_ccs_g3_camera_harness.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Fool posted:

what specifically bugs you about your phone? do you want it to be better at low light, longer lens, wider lens, faster shutter speed...?

the right camera recommendation depends on what you wanna do with it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

phoneposting, sorry if huge

very cool, very normal

extremely good shot

big scary monsters posted:

i'm about 900km from the nearest tree but i have a strong desire to wander off so i hope you will permit me to bump

woah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i have a fuji xt30 and a 18-55mm lens that fits in a bag i clip onto my hiking pack. it’s needs suiting and ko (small)

i tried the capture clip and agree that it annoyingly pulls on one side. it can be balanced with a water bottle on the opposite strap, however. i didn’t like having my camera that high, blocking my view, or that exposed to dust/water