Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

jogging is fine and better than being sedentary. if you are not overweight, a few miles a day will not turn most peoples knees into dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DrPossum posted:

Confirming work is bullshit, your honor.

oh yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qirex posted:

the motorcycle lady from the jerk was pretty hot

the bearded lady from dirty work once they shaved off her beard too

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

adopted a puppy, dont care about computers anymore.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

thinking about becoming rich next year so i can leave tech behind and wander off into the woods

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

great shot but you need a shave and a haircut post-haste

shaving... lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i have never "got" big sur on a fundamental level

it has been a tourist town and retiree destination for decades. like, that is the local industry. there's nothing else out there

is this like a retiree vs tourist thing? "i moved here for the scenery how dare you visit"

big sur is pretty overrated but I think people mostly love it because of proximity to the bay and counterculture history (Henry Miller, Kerouac, hst, etc). in reality it's too crowded most of the year and there's poison oak fuckin everywhere. but most people are disrespectful shitheads who ruin everything and leave trash everywhere so I don't blame them for being mad.

Mendocino on up the north coast is prettier and often a lot less people 🤫

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

don't worry its on its way to being ruined as well -- glass beach was already almost just a beach again the last time I was around that portion, and that was a pretty stark difference from the time I had been there before like maybe just a year or two prior

they have added toilets and a paved path though

i was there this past fall and glass beach basically is already just a beach now. :(

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

park rangers are certainly among the least bad types of cops, after all black people don't go camping

hmm

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

I'm gonna go on a hike tomorrow somewhere

me too i think

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

this weekend i rode my bicycle 70 miles and ordered a new one

bad rear end.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Sdoots posted:

sudden desire to get up from my desk and go up to a cabin somewhere. just sit on a dock and drink beer and look at a lake.

don't do anything meaningful, productive, etc. just sit on my rear end.

look at that fuckin' lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_zS_uiPWxs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

going up to my friends cabin this weekend but might just walk around in the woods with my dog again instead of skiing

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

got a new bike for gravel and carrying stuff so I can properly wander into the woods

whatd you get

keyboard vomit posted:

I googled it it was fireflies

lmao

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Trashman posted:

seriously considering picking one of these up for some light commuting and ideally some long haul possibly bike camping trips. love that colour.

bike camping is so insanely good.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

except for the how do you carry a 24 pack thing
bring bourbon

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

drat I guess I don't have many pics of my rig on my phone

edit: butano state park no longer being first come/first serve in november and april is one of the worst things that ever happened to me, personally, but its easy enough to stealth camp if you dont mind the extra work :ninja:

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 26, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

echinopsis posted:

yes

i’ve just drunk 2 pints of redbud and I haven’t even arrived at work yet

i’m quite intrigued

is it advisable to take lsd on the bike rides yes/no

50-75 ug is the sweet spot for me. ive done up to 200 ug and that was way t oo much.

also ive put a growler in my pannier no problem. its just not nearly enough beer for 2

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i actually dont use the hammock much any more for camping. i like it for napping in but i find them uncomfortable overnight. i probably dont hang it great though, and always used a poo poo tubular webbing setup instead of the purpose-specific actual straps. i use a six moons skyscape scout now and its my favorite tent ive ever used.

in the summer tho ill go bike camping and just sleep out on a tarp -> sleeping pad -> sleeping bag rig out. never had a problem with that. dont know about the spiders you eat as long as you dont wake up.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 27, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

if you don't mind i'm just going to keep posting dog and snow pictures in this thread until either nobody works in tech any more or the snow has all melted

sketchy avalanche conditions in the mountains after the recent warm weather so yesterday we went for a low level snowshoe hike instead

man you got some beautiful scenery around you

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bumo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol just realized ive had a tick burrowed into my shoulder all day and have no way of getting it out. cool. gently caress the forest too. its too early in the year for this poo poo. how the gently caress do you even get a tick on your shoulder.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

It’s that time of year here

I remember making my way through some overgrown single track maybe last year and sweeping a dozen or more ticks off every 50 feet or so

hell on mt diablo last year, I barely had any contact with brush and in like the brief moment I did to let some people going the opposite way past I picked up like 3 ticks

yeah, thinking about it, i took a trip to henry coe in late march 2017, also a wet year, and they were everywhere. i remember closing my eyes that night in my tent and seeing ticks.

at least my girlfriend was able to pry this one off of my shoulder in one piece once she got home. better me than my dog i guess.

lancemantis posted:

somehow they feel worse here than even the tick hell bfe I grew up in

agreed. i remember my mom checking us for ticks as a kid and never seeing one, but here you can barely avoid them.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

should i get an internal or external frame pack

external

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i bought this pack because i have brain damage https://seekoutside.com/divide-4500-ultralight-backpack-olive-green/

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bumo

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

planning my summer trips in my mind. having a puppy has thrown off my backpacking schedule but i will persevere and bring her along on all of them this year.

thinking a couple trips to emigrant and a weeklong in hoover

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bugs

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

b u m p everyone's accusing me

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Stymie posted:

i reiterate: mods please rename this thread "yospos loves gear" tia

gear rocks

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

SO DEMANDING posted:

do it all up 70s van-culture style

(more rad poo poo itt)

oh hells yes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ready to go outside

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I rode my bicycle into the woods and fell asleep. a+ will do again

need to figure out a way to keep food safe from bears. bear cans I've seen won't fit on a bike, bear sacks aren't approved most places, and hanging can difficult (lack of good trees) and usually not effective enough. hmph

in certain circumstances, i just sleep with my food. depends where youre camping and what youre packing.

edit: and assuming by "bears" you mean black bears obviously

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 28, 2019

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

i want to go to emigrant wilderness again but its gonna be snowed up til like fuckin august.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lancemantis posted:

Sounds like California housing hell is percolating east; they had to reduce the number of tours for crystal cave in kings canyon/sequoia due to being short staffed because of a lack of available housing for employees

gotta get that air bnb money bay bee

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

bump

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

put in a permit to do a section of the sierra high route this june so thats all im going to be able to think about until the passes open up and i can get out on a few trips. all i want to do is go loving fishing and backpacking!!! kill computer!!!!

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

I built a pulk sled and took the family out to a state cabin

this is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

got an inreach for my birthday and now have an indescribable urge to get lost in the mountains

my wife wants me to get one before this summer :sweatdrop: