Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

wandered around a bit last weekend and planning on doing some more this weekend

https://i.imgur.com/3Gg6oeC.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

my dad stressing out about a gps unit for going off the beaten track and i’m sure it’s not a terrible idea although it literally is the beaten track. there will be many people and I think they’ve extended cell access to a bunch of it, huts at least. gps won’t save me falling into a 2” stream and drowning tho dad

I did the routeburn+greenstone and Kepler tracks a couple years back. I had brought a radio for the first and then didn't bother with it for the second. on the great walks there's enough people that you'll be found in like 5-10 minutes by the next group behind you if there's a problem.

it makes sense for a more obscure track where it's poorly marked and you're the only one there that day but for a great walk you're probably better off saving on the amount of weight you need to carry

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I have an advanced elements inflatable kayak (either an advanceframe or advanceframe sport, I forget which) and while it is nice that it fits in the trunk it's not very good as a kayak. it takes several minutes to get rolled out and inflated, and then dried, deflated, and folded up again later. meanwhile its profile is so wide with the side air bladders that it ends up feeling really slow and inefficient compared to any regular hard shell. also they sell a spine bar that goes along the bottom from front to back as an "optional extra" but it's basically required because otherwise the boat ends up being floppy and listless (text me)

its been nice to have around as a spare but i recommend getting a basic plastic one if at all possible, or just renting one when you want one

but if you don't mind a slow kayak, it's worth pointing out that rei's standard exclusion of boats from their 20% off coupon doesn't apply to inflatable kayaks

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh also I'm 6'0 and I juuuust fit in that kayak, often with cramped legs/feet afterwards

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah should've mentioned I mainly just use it on lakes/reservoirs, or slow streams a couple times

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

do I get to pet them as they pass me or

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

went to castlepoint this weekend, climbed a big rock

big rock in distance

partway up the big rock looking back

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

posting from the mountains

the huts along the ridge to the right have p2p wifi to the village below

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

which mountains?

a mild part of the carpathians in romania

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

went on a short hike a few days ago, watched some sheep have lunch while having lunch

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

weekend hike on a fire road up mt climie

the name is accurate, it was a steady incline the whole way

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

mountain house, imo

haven’t found any others nearly as good

can also just bring your own pasta I guess

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

work at an independent coffee shop or dive bar and immerse yourself in the real(er) world

still one of the best professional experiences of my life, and the pay wasn't actually bad (behind a bar)

if you’re in the us then only do this after moving to a country with health care

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bump with a pic

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

Looks like around Kaikoura?

yea kaikoura city next to the “fyffe house” ruin out on the peninsula

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

echinopsis posted:

just visiting or you live around that part of the countyr?

just visiting with some family, normally up in welly otherwise. folks are old so we didn’t really do any hiking or anything this time but got to see a bunch of areas

another picture bump, from a trail head at the Lewis Pass

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

theadder posted:

starts like a typical echi post

hmm

loled irl

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

had a dream last night that I was hiking

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

why in the gently caress are backcountry campsites and trailheads closed this is so stupid

how is solo hiking 15 miles into nowhere not social distancing

aaaaahggh

the nz reasoning is "if people need to rescue you then they'd need to break isolation with you and with each other"

also you're not supposed to be traveling around at the moment anyway

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

early june is only 2 incubation cycles away

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

back out in the cabin. still too much snow to drive all the way, and two cranes and i scared each other half to death

don't go chasing construction sites, please stick to the rivers and lakes that you're used to

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the annual 20% REI coupon excludes real kayaks while inflatables are included so that can be a good way to get one

inflatables are a compromise for a situation where you can't get a real kayak - they cost more and are slower and more maintenance intensive than a regular kayak but you can fit one in the trunk of your yaris. very similar niche and tradeoffs to a folding bicycle now that i think about it

also for the advanced elements models the "spine" accessory is basically required, otherwise it handles like a wet noodle with efficiency to match

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

oh yeah not dissing it at all, its the only kayak i have as well. just pointing out that if you can make a regular kayak work in terms of storage/transport then you're a bit better off going that route

but any kayak better than no kayak obv

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

went snowshoeing yesterday, found a hut

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Methanar posted:

does new zealand even have winter? Your whole country is coastal which should be a good temperature moderator

the winter is mild outside of southern south island but nz only discovered that housing should have more insulation than a cardboard box about 10 years ago

and people still use log burners as a primary heat source, even in urban neighbourhoods, so hope you like a dense fog of PM2.5 every time there's a chill

but regardless of that, that's like saying boston doesn't have winter because it's coastal

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

like people are still flummoxed by mold issues in houses, while spending thousands a year to power electric space heaters to keep warm, and then deciding that 3k for underfloor insulation is too much to spend

it's really hosed up mlmp

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

took the van on a short drive to a beach

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

imgur appears to have blocked either my IP or my entire ISP because every single request returns 403. and of course because they've effectively monopolized image hosting much like photobucket did circa 2002 this makes most of the internet unusable for me

really wishing I could just let the forest be my guide right about now

homedepot.com doesn't load if you try to visit it from romania

just a blank page

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

took a train from kansas city to flagstaff, was p good but the train wobbled a lot, and a couple weeks later the same train derailed in ks

tried taking a train from la to san jose but it was delayed several hours because the engine broke and then they needed to wait for a replacement engine. the train got as far as burbank or smth then had to crawl backwards back to the station. ended up getting tickets refunded and doing a one-way rental

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

just make sure that they always pronounce it "mister two"

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that reminds me i have some hike pics

the trail itself isn't particularly scenic since it's effectively an old access route that never got upgraded to a road, but it's got some good spots

saw two takahe though, incl the one pictured above