Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Suddenly!

Agency HQ, Part 1

Bryce's dead and only wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That boss battle was pretty good, even though rotating levels can be a bit confusing it was never hard to readjust and finishing it was straightforward. Also, is it my imagination or were there fewer graphics glitches this video? Maybe this part of the game got more polish than the rest of it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
The upgrade system strikes me as particularly dissonant since Bryce is five hundred years old. What more does he have to learn?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I enjoyed Bryce expositing while his head spins in the washing machine.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

White Coke posted:

The upgrade system strikes me as particularly dissonant since Bryce is five hundred years old. What more does he have to learn?

How to bullet harder, I guess.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
This game is so.. strange, and not for the usual reasons. It feels like its a jumbled mess of ideas and concepts that don't quite work off of each other. Though the thing that really strikes me as strangest though is simply the naming scheme they've used for enemies. Spoons? Pandas? Theres not even any rhyme or reason for it all, and feels more like a place holder name than something that should have been finalized.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

DeliciousCookie posted:

Theres not even any rhyme or reason for it all, and feels more like a place holder name than something that should have been finalized.

I just read this postmortem on the 2010 Splatterhouse remake and it gets into the way that game's original management team kept pushing for weird, incongruous enemy and gameplay designs to be worked into the game, which Namco had to shoot down and eventually fire those managers. NeverDead reeks of having similar issues that just went unchecked for the entire development process.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

This level appears a bit too polished and varied. Was it a demo at some point?

Agency HQ, Part 2

All this may be an elaborate publicity stunt for Nikki.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's probably you making the game look less horrible again, but the cutscenes kinda make me wish they turned this into a series. Bryce's gimmick of tactical self-dismemberment would make for an interesting game in the hands of a competent developer.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Fiendly posted:

I just read this postmortem on the 2010 Splatterhouse remake and it gets into the way that game's original management team kept pushing for weird, incongruous enemy and gameplay designs to be worked into the game, which Namco had to shoot down and eventually fire those managers. NeverDead reeks of having similar issues that just went unchecked for the entire development process.

Yeah I'm definitely getting similar vibes. The game feels like it was pulled in multiple different directions and what we got was just whatever they could salvage and slap together. As I said before, the names reek of placeholders, but were kept in due to lack of time or effort.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Parts of this level definitely feels like it was made as a pitch or promo, it has the helicopter showing real time dismemberment, puzzles involving that and the physics of dropping bridges over fire.
I don't know if it's just the lack of "Banter" or if it's that they are just goal focused but this is the most likeable they been so far. Like they actually help each other without complaining or harassing. They really should have done that from the start instead of doing the "toxic" partnership thing, I did like everyone calling Bryce out on being dumb and not suspecting anything though.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
OK I'm a video behind, but way back on page 1:

marshmallow creep posted:

The villain in the intro had a prominent pink nose. It looked to me in the start of this last video that our ASMR boss has a reddish nose. So I think he's the demon in disguise, pranking Bryce with poo poo jobs.

Edit: Oh wait you call it out in the video.

Neat boss battle though!

Solumin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 23, 2018

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
The segments in Arcadia's apartment would be cute if 1) Arcadia and Nikki reacted at all to Bryce's shenanigans and 2) it wasn't exactly the same gags every time. But that's this game, really. Some solid ideas, schizophrenic and low effort implementation.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Wait, didn't Bryce say his blood has healing powers? So why didn't he just heal Arcadia?
I mean, it's demon blood, so who knows what the side effects are.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
At this point I think it'd be a twist if a character turned out to be human.

Slowflake
Aug 18, 2010

I love how in other games, it'd be "QTE to dodge the helicopter blades!!" Or get an instant game over.
But in NeverDead, Bryce just facetanks it. Say what you will about every aspect of the game, but it does sometimes accidentally make jokes

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I love how this agency somehow got built around a slumbering demon.

Or can you just manifest your stomach wherever you want when you're a demon?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Here comes the unnecessary filler level!

Destroyed Streets, Part 1

Bryce has a flashlight?!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

It might be a filler level but I think it looks a hell of a lot better than any of the previous levels. Might just be because it feels a lot more open due to the massive gaping lava pit.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
I just noticed something in the teaser shots for the videos. Why has Arcadia blue glowing eyes? Those things light up like flashlights in some shots.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Falling into lava is not a problem. What is a problem?

A window.

Destroyed Streets, Part 2

Hey, I've found their artist's DeviantArt page.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
In that last picture Arcadia's outfit looks almost practical.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

That promotional art is absolutely off-model. Nikki's mouth is closed.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I have to say I really love how Bryce can maintain full speed while hopping on one leg.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well he had five centuries to practice.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
And he's part demon, he has to have some gifts besides immortality. Such as supernatural balance!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The whole story has been building up to one Bryce's line.

Demon's Nest, Part 1

Alex, with your skills, you could have been a door-to-door knife salesman.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

SelenicMartian posted:

The whole story has been building up to one Bryce's line.

Demon's Nest, Part 1

Alex, with your skills, you could have been a door-to-door knife salesman.

Ok, I did not expect that, but maybe I should have.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Man, everything in this game is so poorly paced or lacks the proper fanfare.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yep. And now they're trying to go for an extra drama punch with the 500 years dead baby but has no oomph because nothing matters.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

So how did Alex get his immortality? Some lesser demon swapped eyes?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
This is my favorite kind of bad game. The kind that has an original concept and some really interesting details, and in theory could have been amazing, but then fumbles the execution so incredibly bad.

I like the characters. The designs are nice on the protagonists and totally over the top on the antagonists. The antagonists seem like they were dreamed up by the Axe Cop kid.
"so, there's this guy who's really good at throwing knives. And since he's immortal with regenerative powers he just sheathes the knives inside his body and looks like a pin cushion. And the main antagonist looks like a normal sized man sitting inside a huge headless body with bat wings, tusks and snakes for arms. Yes, snakes"

There's also a lot of potential in having an immortal protagonist that can tear of his limbs and use them as weapons or solve puzzles with them. Too bad it's mostly annoying having to lose a limb or all of them every time someone touches you.

I like the dynamic of having one immortal character and one mortal with different skill sets, but I think that was better implemented in Knights Contract where Gretchen pulled her own weight, and fights where about comboing the two protagonist's skill sets. NeverDead's Arcadia is more dead weight in that the fighting itself would mostly have been the same without her, except you wouldn't have to run around and revive her all the time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Hypocrisy posted:

So how did Alex get his immortality? Some lesser demon swapped eyes?
Pink eye.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

D'oh!

Demon's Nest, Part 2

I've saved the best artwork for last. It features lots of rear end, and bare nipples.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

how the hell i didnt notice that the shoulders are elephants holy poo poo that rules

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You can really see where this game could have been great in places. Then development happened. Plot points that come out of nowhere, characterization that has the consistency of gruel. A combat system that seems to have been forgotten about until the end. Seriously!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
For what it's worth I still maintain this has sequel potential.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Good lord this game was a mess of design choices. I feel like the game would have been more salvageable if the player roles were reversed, with Bryce being relegated to the sidekick and Arcadia as the main character. At least that way they could have death states being more than just granbabies, and you wouldn't fall to pieces with every friggin attack. Though I say this mostly because it seems like they were completely and utterly incapable of making the initial concept work. Something like Stubbs the Zombie handled being able to dismember your character for puzzles better.

Also, while it does have potential, its pretty much a game of nothing but wasted potential.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
The premise was intriguing enough and it still makes a good example how to gently caress up a interesting concept in development.

And of course they would unlock the more unique skills after completing the game. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
That end song sounded like a bad attempt at one of the Shadow the Hedgehog themes. But it's by Megadeth? I thought they were supposed to be something big, though to be fair I know practically nothing about music.

• Locked thread