Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Honestly the teenager may be insufferable, but the fact that Bryce isn't meekly taking her poo poo honestly makes it tolerable, unlike with Arcadia. Plus I can excuse at least some of her behaviour to 'freaking out because she almost got eaten', so I honestly liked this segment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

What's making the game for me so far is the costume and monster design for the most part, with the one exception being the demon, and only because they feel out of place in this setting.

Having said that I'm not sure if I'd still bother playing. The screen tearing is awful, the combat looks really bad, and the Grandbaby mechanic is the worst so far.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

'There's no one but Nikki left in the building', they say as they pass a bunch of black cops dying to demons :smith:

Police Station, Part 1

Check out the most popular club in town.

But why panda?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Okay, got to admit, explosive limbs is a really cool idea and a pretty unique idea for this game. That said, it feels like it would feel and play a lot better if it exploded on contact with an enemy. That little bit of waiting as you watch your arm lay on the ground before it explodes annihilates any pace the action had. Really feels like something Bryce should have had since the start instead of guns.

Also digging whatever is going on with the panda bear's arm design.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They explode on command.
It's a wonderful control arrangement where I hold down R3 to regenerate, then hold R2 or L2 to tear off a limb, then aim the camera down because the throwing arc is too high, then release the button to throw (the actual trajectory may be different from the projection, dead arms bounce poorly), then press it again to detonate.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, that works too. Still, it feels a bit flaccid and I can only assume that's due to how slow Bryce tosses his arm around.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

How I learned to stop worrying and love the trains.

Police Station, Part 2

The monsters' cherub theme is never explained and never mentioned.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Man, the Chief is so chill and calm that even Bryce doesn't back talk him.

It makes everything else seem more weird in comparison.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Out of context, "We've solved our womb problem" is a hell of a sentence.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Arcadia takes being run over by a train remarkably well.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm glad you found the upgrade that solves your combat problems so handily :haw:
I regret nothing except everything

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
The bombs are nice, but they're a bitch to arm.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

The intro to the police station mission explains the game's story better than the prologue. Maybe this was the original opening cinematic?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

We've got a sewer level coming up, don't we?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ramos posted:

Arcadia takes being run over by a train remarkably well.

Arcadia would sooner die than go to pieces like Bryce.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's kind of a shame, I was hoping when reaching for the button on the cable a Spoon would sever Nikki's hand and she'd end up like Tara Reid in Sharknado 2 - grafting a circular saw to her arm and going hog on the demons. That would have made her character kind of funny, taking her from pathetic idiot, to funny idiot with a circular saw.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You have to admit, you can't see screen tearing on a black screen.

Sewers, Part 1

Arcadia is wearing a pair of stockings and a sweater dress to battle. Metal.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I feel like the game would be marginally better if they didn't have ammo for any of the guns, or maybe if it didn't have any guns at all.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

HardDiskD posted:

I feel like the game would be marginally better if they didn't have ammo for any of the guns, or maybe if it didn't have any guns at all.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The weird part to me about the ammo is that the game doesn't otherwise have any persistent resources. You get your arms ripped off? That's a temporary annoyance. You run out of shotgun ammo, that's gonna gently caress you for a good long time. That doesn't seem in keeping with what they were going for here. Also, the ammo pickups are small and easy to miss. As are the weapon pickups.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

While I'm no fan of RE6s skill slot system at least it let you set up multiple profiles of skills you could switch between at the touch of a button, though that might have been a PC exclusive thing. It makes dealing with different types of situations actually doable, which more games did it like that if they refuse to just let you have everything at the same time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What's a sewer without a pipe puzzle?

Sewers, Part 2

Pictured: this never happens.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I really hope Bryce takes the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hide severed body parts1 around Arcadia's flat that she hopefully won't find until they start to stink.

1 Severed body parts, like lots of hands with only middle fingers.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
As soon as she finds one he detonates them all.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I'm tempted to say you have to kill 5 of the yellow things to make the shield go down, but that may be giving the design of the game too much credit.

e: Yeah, definitely too much credit. It's either timed or some exceedingly dumb combination of factors.

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 15, 2018

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can't see myself ever playing it but this game does have its charms.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It's a real shame because the elevator pitch of this game should be fun, but then it got bogged down with ideas that worked against the core concept. A few of them were ideas that made sense to include because plenty of other games have 'em, but on a second look they don't fit in with making the play experience smooth and fun.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Nikki: 'Arcadia, what's for breakfast?'
Arcadia: 'BEER!'

Streets, Part 1

A mirrored plot dump is still a plot dump.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Why Bryce's head votes for the church is a mystery.

UGH.

(Best part of the video though.)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I get that they're trying to show that Bryce is a depressed guy but he and everyone else around him are such assholes that it comes off as more cartoony edginess rather than actual depression. Like written by teenagers.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
When the camera showed that empty bridge I wondered if we landed on the set for Metal Wolf Chaos for a moment. But maybe it's just a bridge looking like another bridge.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Bryce and Arcadia have a plan, right?

Streets, Part 2

All demons have a plaster cherub somewhere on their body, but where is Bryce's?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wait what, is this almost the end of the game already? It feels like the plot is almost starting up.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

That boss had a missed opportunity, imo. Nikki's powers should have made Bryce mortal too, and given you a new feeling of danger against this boss.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

azren posted:

That boss had a missed opportunity, imo. Nikki's powers should have made Bryce mortal too, and given you a new feeling of danger against this boss.

That probably would have required a complete rework of the combat engine, given how quick the game is to make Bryce lose an arm or leg.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

That probably would have required a complete rework of the combat engine, given how quick the game is to make Bryce lose an arm or leg.

Yeah, probably. I just think it would have been an interesting gimmick. Especially compared to those head-eating jerks.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I was just wondering when that vampire was coming back.

Anyway, RIP Sangria. You were weird.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I was just wondering when that vampire was coming back.

Anyway, RIP Sangria. You were weird.

Super memorable yet a complete tonal clash with the rest of the game.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

RIP Sangria, you were the best character in the game... not that that's saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Man I am disappointed Sangria wasn't the ASMR whisper boss man. I guess the boss is just boring and little else.

• Locked thread