Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If your wife hasn't been to a therapist on a regular basis she should be. It took over a year of therapy for me to realize I didn't really have a relationship with my parents and didn't need them in my life. I feel for her because I was brought up the same way, but everything is cool now because she's an adult and should forget about those things right? You're right, family does not equal obligation, she just has to come to that realization on her own.

Yeah she does, thankfully. They've even told her to break contact also.

I just don't get how people can do that to kids. gently caress man, I feel guilty about spanking my goddamn dog, much less beating the loving poo poo out of my child, and manipulating them to the point of crippling anxiety.

Other news, boo going in to work an hour early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Holy poo poo am I glad that month is over now. What a lousy April.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Ahahahahah, I just found out the 1971-1977 rear view mirror for my FJ45 is identical to a datsun 510's. EVER WING

Shamelessly stolen (rehosted) from datsunparts.com:

The original from my Toyota:

This makes me wonder, since it lacks a day/night switch, is there an aftermarket option that 510 owners run to get day/night? I'm considering trying a post-77 FJ40 one but the head looks like it doesn't mount to the ball in the same way and I can't use the later arm that will inevitably come with it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah she does, thankfully. They've even told her to break contact also.

I just don't get how people can do that to kids. gently caress man, I feel guilty about spanking my goddamn dog, much less beating the loving poo poo out of my child, and manipulating them to the point of crippling anxiety.

For a long time I figured that kind of poo poo was normal and everyone went through it, and sucked it up for YEARS until I met my wife and saw the loving relationship she had with her parents. It baffled me. Then when my son was born it was tough because I just couldn't understand how anyone could abandon or hurt their child.....It gets harder to deal with as you get older, hopefully she continues therapy and comes to some kind of closure in the future. Sounds like you're doing a great job supporting her, she needs someone in her corner for sure.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
saw a z32-tt on the way to work today....with historic plates.

my childhood is so far away :negative:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

my childhood is so far away :negative:

There's a '93 Miata on CL right now with copper plates.

We're all old.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

We're all old.

Early Miatas are now closer in age to the Triumph TR3 or MGA than the current MX5.

Time is a bitch.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

IOwnCalculus posted:

We're all old.

I was talking to a guy on my team and realized I have had email addresses that are older than him. I am still getting used to not being the kid around the office(granted still young for my role), but that caught me by surprise.

And I now have ~3 months till I have a kid that I am responsible for, which is a whole other mind gently caress. The flooring guy really needs to get back to me so we can get the nursery finished. My wife is starting to go crazy with nesting, and not being able to start decorating the nursery is freaking her out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I'm chuckling at the thought of sending my parents a birthday card on my birthday next year that says - "Congrats on having sex 41 years and 9 months ago!"

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

We're all old.

Stop. I can't :negative: hard enough.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Stop. I can't :negative: hard enough.

In 2 years 1980 will be 40 years ago :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

And then the realisation of your own. Aging. Kicks. In.

Goober Peas posted:

I'm chuckling at the thought of sending my parents a birthday card on my birthday next year that says - "Congrats on having sex 41 years and 9 months ago!"
You realise that any parents who'd find this funny would find it even funnier to point out to you they've been on the job many times since then, including ten minutes ago, just before they phoned you to say thanks for the card? And you know what your mother really likes, son..?

iwentdoodie posted:

In 2 years 1980 will be 40 years ago :v:
No if loving won't. That's like a decade and a half ago.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

This x100 if you have kids

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nevermind.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

He forgot what he was going to say :corsair:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dagen H posted:

He forgot what he was going to say :corsair:

Indeed, I'm old. So are all y'all, though, so... welp.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

:vince:

I've heard songs from this album on classic rock and oldies stations.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've heard songs from this album on classic rock and oldies stations.

Rape me?

poo poo. Wrong album.

meatpimp is fail posting all afternoon.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I thought aged meat was better?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Goober Peas posted:

Goober Peas posted:

I thought aged meat was better?

3 months gestational time is probably sufficient, you lived this long? :shrug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Enourmo posted:

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

I passed on an '01 540i sport 6-speed with 90k miles for $4k last weekend. Don't remind me about BMWs.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

I passed on an '01 540i sport 6-speed with 90k miles for $4k last weekend. Don't remind me about BMWs.

That was a pretty dumb thing to do.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey I got a job.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, how much for half an hour?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:suicide:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Hey I got a job.

:toot: grats dood!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Enourmo
19XX-2018
Found On Road Dead

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not exactly what I wanted but hey, I'll take it for now. Service Tech gig, part time to start while I train. $13/hour. Go to do paperwork and stuff tomorrow, They want me asap which feels nice. I'm hired on as a temp so they can get me on asap and bypass some stuff, the option will be there to stay on full time at the end of the season which is also nice.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It looks like they're $100 cheaper on rockauto.

Alternatively, aren't you studying engineering? engineer up some JB weld.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

GOD drat COOLING SYSTEM

Anybody else smell antifreeze?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno posted:

It's not exactly what I wanted but hey, I'll take it for now. Service Tech gig, part time to start while I train. $13/hour. Go to do paperwork and stuff tomorrow, They want me asap which feels nice. I'm hired on as a temp so they can get me on asap and bypass some stuff, the option will be there to stay on full time at the end of the season which is also nice.
"Tech" as in wrenching?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

slidebite posted:

"Tech" as in wrenching?

It's just industry speak for a guy who does upkeep on the property.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just replaced 4 light switches and only shocked myself once, success!

I didn't want to turn off the main power, the breakers aren't labelled, and I got in a hurry because I want to go fish.

So the last switch (which I couldn't figure out the breaker to through trial and error) I just did it hot and shocked myself literally as I put it back in the holder. I'll take that, considering I'd never done it before and was just winging it.

Also, weird as gently caress. None of the fans in this house are switched, they're all just wired in and the only switch control is from the fan itself. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty loving sure that's not only not up to code but also hilariously unsafe.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, weird as gently caress. None of the fans in this house are switched, they're all just wired in and the only switch control is from the fan itself. I'm not certain, but I'm pretty loving sure that's not only not up to code but also hilariously unsafe.

How is it unsafe? From a cursory googling it seems like the only thing most codes have to say is that if the fan is the sole light source in the room, the light module needs to be switched. Nothing about the fan motor though; if there's a switched outlet for lighting the entire fan can be wired constant hot and controlled with the pull chains.

e: Large appliances like ovens have potential to do way more harm than fans and those aren't wall switched.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 2, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah it's not unsafe, having a wall switch for a ceiling fan is more a matter of convenience. As long as it's secured to the mount in the ceiling correctly it's fine.

Just do what I did and buy a fan with a remote, 100 bux at Home Depot for a white LED fan with remote they are awesome, and you just put the remote on the wall where the switch would be.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

Just replaced 4 light switches and only sho I'm not certain, but I'm pretty loving sure that's not only not up to code but also hilariously unsafe.

Says the person changing out switches hot. :v:

It's been said, but no that's fine. The fan and light wires come together in the electrical connection box on the fan, and they are labeled so you can split them on separate switches if the room is wired for that. ... Next time just turn off the main breaker and use a flashlight if necessary?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

angryrobots posted:

It's been said, but no that's fine. The fan and light wires come together in the electrical connection box on the fan, and they are labeled so you can split them on separate switches if the room is wired for that. ... Next time just turn off the main breaker and use a flashlight if necessary?

It was more the fact that it's hot and I didn't want to lose A.C. :v:

I just figured it was unsafe to have hot wires running constantly into a fan/light combo. They are the only light sources. Outlets are switched, but not the fans/lights.

Edit: which as enourmo points out is indeed against code.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

iwentdoodie posted:

Just replaced 4 light switches and only shocked myself once, success!

angryrobots posted:

Just get a pair of disposable latex/nitrile/whatever gloves and problem solved.

I always get pissed off when I get shocked by that stupid stuff, but a pair of gloves from the garage and boom -- no more worries. Just don't hit anything against the bare grounds, 'cause that poo poo'll still pop the breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All you old fucks, come holla atcho boy

https://youtu.be/ObR5OuY2d94

• Locked thread