Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

slidebite posted:

THANK GOD NOBODY GOT HURT

quote:

"It's just a lucky thing that it [was] dangling there, over something where there isn't a developed neighbourhood or a school or a public park."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Won't someone think of the children?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just the image itself is disturbing quite honestly

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

So... We lost one of our cats last October and after he was missing for a few days we found him dead on a relatively nearby road. We buried him and mourned.

Today, we got a call from a vet 30 minutes north of the city. They found our cat.

Survived outdoors 8+ months through a Canadian winter. We buried someone else's cat that looked exactly like ours. :catstare:

Brushed an entire second cat out of him, he's definitely had a rough time with missing some fur around his neck, called our vet to make a house call as soon as possible, and we'll be giving him deworming meds.

Thankful he's back.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

So... We lost one of our cats last October and after he was missing for a few days we found him dead on a relatively nearby road. We buried him and mourned.

Today, we got a call from a vet 30 minutes north of the city. They found our cat.

Survived outdoors 8+ months through a Canadian winter. We buried someone else's cat that looked exactly like ours. :catstare:

Brushed an entire second cat out of him, he's definitely had a rough time with missing some fur around his neck, called our vet to make a house call as soon as possible, and we'll be giving him deworming meds.

Thankful he's back.

OR.

He's a zombie.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Well, zombie cat is fluffy and warm.

As long as he doesn't stink I'm ok.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

OR.

He's a zombie.

That was my first, and most obvious thought...

All hail zombie cat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Clearly you're already infected.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are you sure you didn't bury him in a Pet Cemetery ?

:ohdear:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am so loving pissed with my university. Been enrolled in a (online) comprehensive exams class all semester (8wks), and there is nothing in it. No assignments, nothing on the calendar, nada. I've asked where assignments are, no reply. Last week-ish, amessage addressed to all the students appears in my inbox, from the prof, that details where the assignments are. Cool. I go look...no due date. I immediately reply to the message asking when stuff is due. No reply, I get sick and held up with other duties at work (hey I get to help play head of school and academic dean...). I get a message today, another one addressed to everyone saying that comps are due tomorrow.

Lolfuckyou if you think I'm dropping everything and getting it done tonight. It'll get done when it gets done (i.e. early next week) and they better accept it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Thankful he's back.

Cats are sometimes insanely resilient assholes. My cat growing up was a tiny little thing, definately the runt of her litter. You'd worry about her getting in a fight with anything, even though she was a vicious ball of hate when provoked. She disappeared in an area surrounded by several busy roadways and we wrote her off after a month of searching. She managed to survive a texas winter, spring and summer before showing back up to the house and meowing to be let in like she always did. She was alot thinner and needed several mats cut out of her fur, but overall healthy. Loved that cuddly rear end in a top hat.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Uhh... How do I check :ohdear:

E: I'm slow as poo poo. This reply is for like 3-4 posts up

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bajaha posted:

You gonna die.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

What is almost certainly a simple stunt by some student Engineers, police and politicians are "puzzled" and THANK GOD NOBODY GOT HURT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dangling-car-movie-shoot-1.4644468

:rolleyes:
I guess now we know how Toronto PD managed to miss a serial killer running around unchecked within the gay community for nearly two decades.

If this happened in Vancouver, there'd be a line around the block for a chance to live inside this new exciting condo pre-sale.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Rhyno posted:

You gonna die.

But what if he was patient zero?

It's too late.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Bajaha posted:

Do you own a cat? Then it's too late,the T. Gondii is already in your brain

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94M3nPgMgS0

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goddamn "Fastest Car" on Netflix is terrible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ha, I was going to watch that with my son, I guess not now :v:

There sure is some half assed poo poo on netflix tho.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Finally got it set up with the locks and some retroreflective stickers

Closeted:

Fabulous:

Also found another scale. Dry weight: 19lbs. Weight with locks: 32lbs :negative:. That's the price for security I guess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pham Nuwen posted:

A lot of my cars & coffee friends love it. But one of them pointed out they dubbed over a Tesla with engine noises so I haven't even bothered to watch yet.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
My old Windsor from BikesDirect keeps soldiering on as a sometimes commuter for a friend of mine even though it needs a new square cut bottom bracket, cables, pads, rear wheel, and bearing cups for the fork assembly.

Kinda impressive, really.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Pham Nuwen posted:

I was told watch the first five minutes to establish the cars/owners and ffwd to the last ten minutes and it’s decent.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Are you sure you didn't bury him in a Pet Cemetery ?

:ohdear:

Pet Sematary
:goonsay:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So in H-Mart last week, GF mentioned this is supposed to be really spicy, and that there's a lot of challenges on YouTube with people that can't handle it. So of course I said I had to have it.

It's pretty loving tasty! Definitely has a lot of fire, but I want to pick up the "2X" version now. Found some of the videos of people crying while eating this one and had a pretty good chuckle.

Elmnt80 posted:

Cats are sometimes insanely resilient assholes. My cat growing up was a tiny little thing, definately the runt of her litter. You'd worry about her getting in a fight with anything, even though she was a vicious ball of hate when provoked. She disappeared in an area surrounded by several busy roadways and we wrote her off after a month of searching. She managed to survive a texas winter, spring and summer before showing back up to the house and meowing to be let in like she always did. She was alot thinner and needed several mats cut out of her fur, but overall healthy. Loved that cuddly rear end in a top hat.

The Oatmeal did a comic about a pretty tough bastard of a cat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 3, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

Pet Sematary
:goonsay:

I had to google that. I love Stephen King lol

I read that book (and Christine) a hundred times when I was kid, you think I'd remember that but :corsair:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You guys ever get too close to a (literal) crow's nest?

Valet and bartender at the restaurant I was picking up from thought it was pretty drat funny when I got dive bombed. :argh: Fuckers tried to get a piece of my hair, thankfully it was tied back (they caught it ahead of the hair band, so I just felt the tug instead of them actually yanking any out). I don't think I've run that fast in at least 5 years.

Crows can eat a bag of dicks. Bartender said I was the 4th one they'd gone after that day; valet said he'd seen more, but they hadn't made physical contact with anyone until me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Youtube Cobra Kai show is good.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's always weird when you find out that someone who you respect is a truther and believes that the moon landings were fake

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

To improve my day even more after ebay messed me about I got into my car tonight after 3 hours of train journey and went to move the gearstick and heard a crunch followed by some rattles.

From my preliminary inspection in the dark it looks like the linkage is all made of plastic and I think that the section that does the reverse lock has snapped off. All the gears appear to work but finding 5th is now extra fun as there is no stop before it moves horizontally past 5th and into reverse and you can get reverse without using the detent button.

InitialDave - how good are you on MK4 Panda gear linkages...
Not touched one of those specifically, but if it's a cable shift, it may be one to replace the gearstick assembly as a unit? It depends which bit has actually broken. Worth seeing if it's just part of the gaiter/collar. That should be an easy swap in situ if so. I know the VAG ones I've seen are like that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bajaha posted:

Thankful he's back.

One of my parents' cats went missing for 3-4 weeks once. We thought she'd been hit by a car and killed, which has happened to a number of our cats over the years.

It turned out that she had been hit by a car, broke her pelvis and basically camped under a bush or something for those couple of weeks, until it healed and she could limp back home :black101:

We took her to the vet, and she was perfectly fine, just very hungry. He figured probably my parents' other cat was bringing her food or something, for her to hold out for so long. She's very apprehensive about going too far from the house now, and she's got two permanent white spots of fur on her hips, but otherwise she's as good as she's ever been.

The whole "cats have 9 lives" thing isn't too far off the mark, I think.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MC Hawking posted:

My old Windsor from BikesDirect keeps soldiering on as a sometimes commuter for a friend of mine even though it needs a new square cut bottom bracket, cables, pads, rear wheel, and bearing cups for the fork assembly.

Kinda impressive, really.

The main road bike (Sworks Tarmac, Dura Ace etc) I have has just gone past 31000 kms and just keeps going.

Oh yeah and that is in 2 years and 9 months.

Ive only done 63600kms in the last 5 years

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Door Frame posted:

It's always weird when you find out that someone who you respect is a truther and believes that the moon landings were fake

poo poo not even that far a reach but when you find out that someone you respect and believe is a good person and has lovely opinions on the way the world is. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

STR posted:

You guys ever get too close to a (literal) crow's nest?

Valet and bartender at the restaurant I was picking up from thought it was pretty drat funny when I got dive bombed. :argh: Fuckers tried to get a piece of my hair, thankfully it was tied back (they caught it ahead of the hair band, so I just felt the tug instead of them actually yanking any out). I don't think I've run that fast in at least 5 years.

Crows can eat a bag of dicks. Bartender said I was the 4th one they'd gone after that day; valet said he'd seen more, but they hadn't made physical contact with anyone until me.

Bribe the crows next time. They remember their friends just as well as their enemies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I was told watch the first five minutes to establish the cars/owners and ffwd to the last ten minutes and it’s decent.

The problem with establishing the owners is that they're all toolbags. So much bragging about street racing. So much doing this to "prove" whatever (prove my car's the best, prove to my kids I can do this, prove to my dead buddy up in heaven, prove girls can drive too).

They also change the rules with no explanation; in episode 1, the guy running the race said a false start means a re-race. In episode 3, he said a false start is a DQ... and then the supercar & the fastest of the sleepers false-started, disqualifying themselves. I think Netflix decides who they want to win (or at least, who they want to lose) and set up the competition based on that, either by making entrants submit 1/4 mile times and grouping based on that, or by just doing multiple runs until they get the winner they want.

The winner is almost always the least douchey one. There have been two supercar drivers who weren't tremendous shitheads, and they both won: a photographer who borrowed the car from a client, and an older woman who does a lot of racing (I called that she'd win 30 seconds into her first appearance on the episode). The first ep was won by a guy in a wheelchair with a heartwarming story.

Also in one of the episodes, one racer shows up with his car on a trailer, everybody talks like he's trying to keep it extra secret... but no, turns out he just couldn't get it running because it had a burned out ECU. Why the gently caress would you bother trailering your poo poo all the way from LA to Barstow if you know for a fact you can't race? There's a lot of poo poo that stinks of Netflix interfering.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

iwentdoodie posted:

Also, is it weird to cut drywall and insulate the back of it to put over attic entrances? House has 2, both covered with paper thin board that just loving radiates heat into the rooms (bathroom and a closet). My only idea was to cut the drywall to fit, and add some sort of sticky insulation to the back just to cut down on thermal losses.

The way it's done for stairs, for example, is to put a box made of foam insulation board over the attic side, creating an air gap. There are actually kits, but just cutting up a sheet of styrofoam board works. Same idea should work on your type, or, yeah, just add a couple of layers of styrofoam board to the back of the hatch. I have stairs in the house that I added because the only entrance to the attic when we moved in is the hole-with-a-panel type in the garage, and it was only the width between ceiling joists in the lowest part of the attic with the most difficult access to stuff.
I need to build an insulating box for the stairs, but the other one is in the garage, so, meh. In fact, the hatch on mine is a piece of foam-core with a 2x4 off-cut screwed to it for weight (it was being sucked into the attic when the wind blew, which I guess means I have good ventilation.)

slidebite posted:

What is almost certainly a simple stunt by some student Engineers, police and politicians are "puzzled" and THANK GOD NOBODY GOT HURT

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/dangling-car-movie-shoot-1.4644468

:rolleyes:

Ugh. No, all it takes is someone who knows how to read charts and knows how much the car weighs.

"It's just a lucky thing that it [was] dangling there, over something where there isn't a developed neighbourhood or a school or a public park."

Er, no, they chose that spot *because* there was nothing to fall on, most likely. God, you humorless ninnies.
I mean, they took the time to remove all the glass, interior, and drivetrain. I bet it had no fluids in it either (mainly due to lack of drivetrain...)

QuarkMartial posted:

I am so loving pissed with my university. Been enrolled in a (online) comprehensive exams class all semester (8wks), and there is nothing in it. No assignments, nothing on the calendar, nada. I've asked where assignments are, no reply. Last week-ish, amessage addressed to all the students appears in my inbox, from the prof, that details where the assignments are. Cool. I go look...no due date. I immediately reply to the message asking when stuff is due. No reply, I get sick and held up with other duties at work (hey I get to help play head of school and academic dean...). I get a message today, another one addressed to everyone saying that comps are due tomorrow.

Lolfuckyou if you think I'm dropping everything and getting it done tonight. It'll get done when it gets done (i.e. early next week) and they better accept it.

Well, obviously, you have nothing else to do but this professor's/class's work, and you should have done it the moment it was assigned. That seems to be a common theme in college.

Rhyno posted:

A lot of my cars & coffee friends love it. But one of them pointed out they dubbed over a Tesla with engine noises so I haven't even bothered to watch yet.

It looked dumb to me just in the ads and trailer.

Now, this is an interesting "fastest car":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2pfC3vKrZU

Rhyno posted:

Youtube Cobra Kai show is good.

That's the one that's a continuation of Karate Kid, with original cast members, right?

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 3, 2018

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pham Nuwen posted:

The problem with establishing the owners is that they're all toolbags. So much bragging about street racing. So much doing this to "prove" whatever (prove my car's the best, prove to my kids I can do this, prove to my dead buddy up in heaven, prove girls can drive too).

They also change the rules with no explanation; in episode 1, the guy running the race said a false start means a re-race. In episode 3, he said a false start is a DQ... and then the supercar & the fastest of the sleepers false-started, disqualifying themselves. I think Netflix decides who they want to win (or at least, who they want to lose) and set up the competition based on that, either by making entrants submit 1/4 mile times and grouping based on that, or by just doing multiple runs until they get the winner they want.

The winner is almost always the least douchey one. There have been two supercar drivers who weren't tremendous shitheads, and they both won: a photographer who borrowed the car from a client, and an older woman who does a lot of racing (I called that she'd win 30 seconds into her first appearance on the episode). The first ep was won by a guy in a wheelchair with a heartwarming story.

Also in one of the episodes, one racer shows up with his car on a trailer, everybody talks like he's trying to keep it extra secret... but no, turns out he just couldn't get it running because it had a burned out ECU. Why the gently caress would you bother trailering your poo poo all the way from LA to Barstow if you know for a fact you can't race? There's a lot of poo poo that stinks of Netflix interfering.

God forbid there should be a reality show that is actually reality. Always got to be loving around making poo poo more dramatic or whatever.
Like Orange County Choppers or whatever the gently caress with hot rods - I'd watch the poo poo out of them if they were actually about building the thing, rather than all the bullshit with the owner and employees. 'S why I watch Tavarish and B is for Build (though he does some cringe-worthy poo poo.) They're building stuff, and talking about that. Heck, even Overhaulin' was mostly about the build, as terrible as the result might have been.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I just saw Portugal. The Man. Yes they play that one song you've heard too many times Feel it Still but let me assure you they play many other great songs! Honestly one of the better shows I've seen.

Hope y'all havin' a poo poo hot day otherwise!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

That's the one that's a continuation of Karate Kid, with original cast members, right?

It's a continuation of a music video that is a continuation of The Karate Kid.

It's good... I watched 2 episodes and then they wanted £2 per episode after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

spog posted:

It's a continuation of a music video that is a continuation of The Karate Kid.

It's good... I watched 2 episodes and then they wanted £2 per episode after that.

The No More Kings video is an alternate reality.

• Locked thread