Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

ASD recruitment meme: im in ur root stealin ur nudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
lol @ Tasmanian Liberals

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

*connects to VPN*

*resumes posting*

If it's online it's logged.

If you want true freedom do all your anti establishment talk then hang out in a beer garden where you're probably safe. Plus you know, beer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Stay off the grid with a grid

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just make sure to style your hair into a neon mohawk, carry at least 3 burner laptops at all times and always wear your spiked leather jacket and sunglasses - even at night. Especially at night.

Tell all your friends to only refer to you from now on as Hackerman / Hackerwoman. Or any two random words thrown together with either a "77" or "666" at the end of them.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

DancingShade posted:

Just make sure to style your hair into a neon mohawk, carry at least 3 burner laptops at all times and always wear your spiked leather jacket and sunglasses - even at night. Especially at night.

Tell all your friends to only refer to you from now on as Hackerman / Hackerwoman. Or any two random words thrown together with either a "77" or "666" at the end of them.

90s hacking pop culture was cool as gently caress and i always wanted to be a hacker in that kind of world

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Doctor Spaceman posted:

lol @ Tasmanian Liberals

How did this even come to pass? Is she at the end of her career anyway? Or does this come with some tremendous payrise?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
imagine getting owned by Sue Hickey. for fucks sake

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

DancingShade posted:

always wear your spiked leather jacket and sunglasses - even at night. Especially at night.

Yes.

Also, anyone else :allears: about how Victoria has sabotaged Melbourne's water supply with logging despite being warned?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok. They can drink their own piss to stay hydrated.

I'm pretty sure I learned that from watching Waterworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_oEmG7DzU (vaguely NWS for offscreen pissing?)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Can't we just put pictures of horrible medical conditions resulting from obesity on the bottles? Diabetic amputees, bowel cancer sufferers, muffintop ladies?

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

bigis posted:

ASD? More like S my D. :smug:

Noice

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

Jonah Galtberg posted:

90s hacking pop culture was cool as gently caress and i always wanted to be a hacker in that kind of world

If you don't already listen to synthwave, you should, the perfect hacking soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAYfJckSEN0

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hiddenmovement posted:

Can't we just put pictures of horrible medical conditions resulting from obesity on the bottles? Diabetic amputees, bowel cancer sufferers, muffintop ladies?

Extract of posts from this thread

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
https://twitter.com/braddybb/status/991162984863940608

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pills with the Dwarf Fortress dorf stamped on them.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

GrandMaster posted:

If you don't already listen to synthwave, you should, the perfect hacking soundtrack

synthwave is extremely my poo poo, i miss power glove though

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

Extract of posts from this thread

goons: talk tough about sugar taxes, fat people
also goons: spend pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages talking about food and democracy sausages and beetroot on burgers and nandos and oportos

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Jonah Galtberg posted:

also goons: spend pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages talking about food and democracy sausages and beetroot on burgers and nandos and oportos

Half the thread have admitted to being self loathing fatty boombas I don't see the inconsistency here

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The only self loathers are those that put beetroot on burgs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Jonah Galtberg posted:

If you check out a food pyramid you'll see delicious meats are on a lower tier than sugary teeth rotters for diabetic enthusiasts.

This seemed like the most appropriate website to draw a URL from:

https://www.popsugar.com.au/fitness/photo-gallery/35475082/image/35475108/new-look-food-pyramid

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I hope everyone blared the Internationale out of their window/cubicle/hot desk/counter for International Workers Day yesterday

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
'I fart in my colleague's general direction'
Intentional flatulence is often cited as evidence of workplace bullying.

Comic geniuses Monty Python were never accused of holding back from crude humour. One of their more memorable lines – "I fart in your general direction" – uttered by the Insulting Frenchman, fits this bill. Yet their scenes are often divorced from reality, skirting outside the bounds of the possible.

However you say it – flatulence, bum sneezes, letting one rip or plain old farting – it is (usually) an involuntary act that is met with embarrassment. This is particularly true in the office, where it certainly is not met with the triumphant gloating of the Insulting Frenchman.

So it may surprise some readers to learn that intentional farts are in fact frequently cited as sources of workplace grievances and evidence of bullying. Not only are accusations levelled that a colleague farted in their general direction, it is often the case that someone farted in their specific direction.

Could it really be that fact, at least when it comes to flatulence in the workplace, is stranger even than Monty Python?
The recent case of Hingst v Construction Engineering involved an allegation that the plaintiff's immediate supervisor deliberately farted in his specific direction. This resulted in multiple altercations, where the plaintiff, David Hingst, sprayed his supervisor, Greg Short, with deodorant while calling him the imaginative name "Mr Stinky". Among other allegations, Hingst alleged that Short's actions amounted to a "complex conspiracy" to "marginalise him and terminate his employment". This resulted, it was claimed, in Hingst suffering psychiatric injuries.

The Victorian Supreme Court threw the case out, with Justice Rita Zammit ultimately concluding that no bullying had occurred.
Aside from being the source of many jokes, the case raises questions about what constitutes bullying and unacceptable workplace behaviour. Indeed, it raises questions about the potential consequences of even an involuntary act for employees and employers. These consequences could be amplified further in the Australian Public Service, where the APS code of conduct is brought into play.

It is established that a mental element, such as knowledge, intent or recklessness, is not (usually) required to establish a breach of the code. Even in circumstances where a public servant's behaviour was not deliberate, intentional or even voluntary, it can still be harassment. This is because harassing behaviour is not measured against the perpetrator's intentions; rather, it is based on whether a reasonable person would conclude the behaviour would humiliate, offend, intimidate or cause a person unnecessary hurt or distress. Had Hingst been an APS employee and made a code of conduct allegation against his supervisor, it is quite possible that the allegations would have been investigated – I have seen lesser allegations upheld.

In Hingst, Zammit found it was the termination of Hingst's employment that led him to return obsessively to the flatulence episode, which at the time had not created the alleged psychiatric harm. Rather, it was held that Hingst had "reacted in an extreme and unreasonable way to the termination of his employment, which led him to seek revenge against those whom he blames for his loss". On Hingst's own admission, had he not lost his job and if other incidents had not occurred, such as an alleged abusive phone call, the flatulence would "never have been a big issue".

From this, we can hypothesise that a reasonable person would not conclude in these circumstances that Short's flatulence would humiliate, offend, intimidate or cause Hingst unnecessary hurt or distress. Therefore, it's unlikely that Short, in an APS workplace, would be found to have breached the code of conduct, again in these specific circumstances.

Having said this, there have been other instances where the act of targeted flatulence would most certainly breach the code. For example, in Bell v Boom Logistics, an act of targeted flatulence was found to "possibly attract dismissal, being an assault". However, this incident was manifestly targeted: the perpetrator "had his hand on his bum cheek, pulled his cheeks apart and farted in my face". Of course, Bell is a severe example, but it nevertheless illustrates that involuntary acts can meet the standard required to establish a bullying and harassment – or (as the case may be) a breach of the APS code of conduct.
Should you find yourself in Hingst's position (or in the shoes of the unfortunate victim in Bell), it is important to report the unwanted conduct to HR. Your employer owes you a duty of care, and in some instances farting, when it is part of a pattern of bullying or abuse, could give rise to a claim in negligence. In such cases, employees must establish that the harm was reasonably foreseeable and recognisable, and the employer failed to take reasonable steps to mitigate that risk. As Justice Robert Osborn provides in Brown v Maurice Blackburn Cashman:
"[A] finding that a particular risk of injury is reasonably foreseeable involves a judgment of ‘fact and value' and it is a matter of fact for the decision-maker to determine whether a defendant ought to have reasonably foreseen his or her conduct might cause psychiatric injury."

By contrast, in Hingst, the harm manifested from termination of employment. However, had Hingst suffered psychiatric injury directly from his supervisor's conduct, the case might have been decided differently.

Whenever conduct is alleged to have caused psychiatric injury, it should always be cause for pause in a workplace. However curious behaviour like alleged targeted flatulence is, even if it doesn't amount to bullying, as Zammit concluded, it did paint "a picture of the working culture" at the workplace. Those prone to flatulence should take care to ensure their behaviour doesn't result in messy, if unintended, consequences.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

DancingShade posted:

If you check out a food pyramid you'll see delicious meats are on a lower tier than sugary teeth rotters for diabetic enthusiasts.

Most food pyramids are less than ideal, although also most westerners diets would improve even if they followed a bad one.

Like how they say you should eat more cheese than healthy fats, or put legumes in the same place as vegetables.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

DancingShade posted:

It's ok. They can drink their own piss to stay hydrated.

I'm pretty sure I learned that from watching Waterworld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_oEmG7DzU (vaguely NWS for offscreen pissing?)

That’s more of a north of the Barassi line thing tbh

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
So Alan Jones is being sued for a record-breaking 4.8 million and there's a fairly good chance he's going to have to pay out (even if it isn't 4.8 million). But gently caress that, look what this dork turns up to court wearing. He must've irritated his stylist.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Starshark posted:

So Alan Jones is being sued for a record-breaking 4.8 million and there's a fairly good chance he's going to have to pay out (even if it isn't 4.8 million). But gently caress that, look what this dork turns up to court wearing. He must've irritated his stylist.

Dutton has a potato head but Jones has a potato body.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Starshark posted:

Nah. It's a practical and strategic choice for a rich old man to turn up to court looking like a doddering pensioner.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GrandMaster posted:

I love synthwave of all kinds, but I'm fully expecting it to be ruined by fedora wearing toxic nerds who have to make everything they enjoy THE THING THEY IDENTIFY WITH in short order.

see also: vaping, video games, comic books, sci fi.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

G-Spot Run posted:

Nah. It's a practical and strategic choice for a rich old man to turn up to court looking like a doddering pensioner.

It's called power clashing.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Starshark posted:

Sued by who? And what for?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Defamation, he implied (well, not just implied but flat-out claimed) that some family business/businessman in Qld was responsible for the deaths of a few people in the 2011 floods.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

NTRabbit posted:

I was going to apply for one of those ASD analyst positions, but I'm not sure enabling fascists is a worthwhile price to pay for getting out of long term unemployment
Unless you smash the state you are part of the system whether you like it or not. ASD is a fantastic workplace. If you are a nerd and are going to have a job there are few better ones. They have the latest toys at all times.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Before Times summed it up, but the full article is here http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-01/alan-jones-media-outlets-face-record-defamation-claim/9715326

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Breaking news
Cardinal George Pell is likely to face two separate trials as he fights historical sexual offence charges.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/SquigglyRick/status/991227477027573761

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

So Coalition MP Andrew Laming has pretty well laid his boot into all teachers, saying that they are lazy, that the bad teachers get paid the same as good teachers thanks to UNIONS and they should have fewer holidays.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Laming is a oval office.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Laming is a oval office.

Yo leave out the c word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The Before Times posted:

Defamation, he implied (well, not just implied but flat-out claimed) that some family business/businessman in Qld was responsible for the deaths of a few people in the 2011 floods.

This is awesome - especially since the Rebel Wilson case has lead to Alan Jones getting hosed harder (they raised the amount per plaintiff)

• Locked thread