Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Oh god, what is this?

Cygames and P.A. Works team up to bring you an anime adaptation of a mobage, except it's actually kind of fun and interesting! Directed by Kei Oikawa (who’s also directing Hinamatsuri this season), Uma Musume is a story set in a world much like our own but where, at birth, some girls have inherited the souls of famous race horses from our world and become horse girls, complete with ears and tails and the speed and stamina of a real horse. They then compete against other horse girls in track races for fame and glory.

….Don’t ask, don’t worry about it, just roll with it. You’ll have a way better time, trust me.

At any rate, what comes out of this odd combination is an amusing, fun, and heartwarming sports comedy about girls pushing themselves to their limits to win, and the friendship, camaraderie, and silly antics they have along the way. If you like stuff like Girls und Panzer, you might like this.

There’s a ton of references to real horse racing (mostly of the Japanese variety) scattered liberally throughout the show. All of the characters are named after real race horses, and their personalities and events they are involved in often reflect the lives of their horse counterparts. It’s interesting trying to find the parallels and it’s kind of surprising how deep some of the references can go. As I mentioned in the spring season thread, there’s an eating contest in episode 6 which plays out in much the same way as a real horse race between the contestants.

Since it’s based on a mobage, the cast is pretty huge and everyone’s got weird horse-names, so the show helpfully gives you nametag reminders fairly often to help keep everyone straight.

Do they have 4 ears?

No, just the 2 horse ears. What do you think this is, Kemono Friends?!

I heard there was idol stuff…

There’s a little bit. The top 3 winners of each race put on a short concert for their fans after the race called the Winning Concert. I’m pretty sure this is intended to be a reference to the Winner’s Circle in real horse racing, and also probably a good way to sell character songs. It’s pretty much an afterthought in the actual show though so far, aside from one or two longer initial songs, it’s mostly relegated to 5-second cuts or sometimes skipped altogether. Overall though, this is way more of a sports show than an idol show. They DO run around in fancy outfits, though.

There isn’t much outright fanservice either, outside of the occasional somewhat eye-rolly running joke about Team Spica’s trainer admiring the legs of potential recruits and getting booted in the face for it.

The Cast

Ah gently caress, I can’t believe you’ve done this.

No but really, we’ll just focus on the main crew and some other notable characters. Click on the names for a link to the wikipedia page for the real horse!

Team Spica:

Special Week
VA: Azumi Waki
Our protagonist. A country horse in the city. Moved from Hokkaido, where she had never seen another horse girl before, to Tokyo to attend Tracen Academy, a special boarding school for horse girls. Her biological mother died after her birth and she was adopted by her mother’s friend, who has helped set her on the path to becoming a racer. Bright and cheerful, but gets nervous easily. Has a nearly insatiable appetite. REALLY loves carrots.
On a way less adorable note, the real Special Week passed away last Friday, April 27th. :smith:

Silence Suzuka
VA: Marika Kouno
A quiet, reserved, but extremely talented horse girl who left her former team, Rigil, to join Team Spica and try and find a better environment to train in. Becomes friends and roommates with Special Week and they support each other in their training. Special Week is incredibly fond of her, probably because her orange hair and green ear coverings make her look like a carrot.

Gold Ship
VA: Hitomi Ueda
An enigma wrapped inside a riddle bundled up in a strange, eccentric horse girl. Gold Ship is all over the place, has no filter, and enjoys accidentally cramming things into her eyes that really shouldn’t be in there. She likes making money, and will take any opportunity she can to hawk some yakisoba, probably because the real Gold Ship’s jockey was apparently known for making yakisoba during post-race parties, or something like that. The real Gold Ship was a temperamental and wildly inconsistent performer and that reflects strongly in this weird horse girl. She’s also a virtual youtuber?!

Daiwa Scarlet
VA: Chisa Kimura
A beautiful and cheerful horse girl who takes pride in her appearance. Despite that, she’s fiercely competitive and hates losing. Frequently butts heads with Vodka, who is her rival and almost polar opposite. Master of the legendary TRIPLE PONYTAIL (because she has an actual pony tail in addition to the two on her head).

Vodka
VA: Ayaka Ohashi
The mischievous and cheeky tomboy of the group. She’s a bit of a troublemaker and can often be found competing with Daiwa Scarlet in one way or another.

Tokai Teio
VA: Machico (you may remember her from the Konosuba OPs)
Winning Concert pro and accomplished dancer. Joins up with Team Spica and teaches the other girls how to be less lovely idols. A huge fan of the school president, Symboli Rudolf. Only has two ponytails.

Mejiro McQueen
VA: Saori Oonishi
Somewhat of a latecomer to Team Spica. Daughter of the esteemed Mejiro family. She’s refined and elegant, and would prefer to be left alone to read in peace and quiet. Unfortunately, Gold Ship becomes fond of her (as the real McQueen is Gold Ship's grandpa), and that’s the end of her quiet days.

Team Spica’s Trainer
VA: Kouji Okino
A sloppy and carefree (and heretofore nameless) trainer, but he cares deeply about his team and while he can be strict about their training, for the actual races he generally trusts them to run the way they feel like. A little too obsessed with horse girl legs, which gets him in trouble.

Other notable characters:

El Condor Pasa
VA: Minami Takahashi
A loud and excitable horse girl from America. Talks like you’d expect from a character like that. Member of Team Rigil. Incredibly talented, fiercely competitive, with nearly undefeatable speed. Loves racing and constantly looks to compete with her friends. Has a mask that she almost never takes off.

Haru Urara
VA: Yukina Shuto
A bubbly and ceaselessly optimistic horse girl. Everyone loves her, and she brightens everyone’s day with her cheerfulness wherever she goes. She’s going to do her best to become a great racer and take first place!
”Haru Urara has not yet been officially retired, but has not raced since September 2004. She currently maintains a record of 0 wins and 113 losses.”

Oguri Cap
VA: Tomoyo Takayanagi
A bottomless pit for food to go in. The only horse girl who can compete with Special Week in appetite. Can frequently be seen in the background eating absurd amounts of food.

Hana Toujou
VA: Megumi Toyoguchi
Team Rigil’s trainer. A strict and no-nonsense trainer, she has created a team of incredible talent in Rigil. Generally has no time for Team Spica’s Trainer’s poo poo, but will sometimes go out of her way to give him a bit of help or advice.

There’s many more but you’ll have plenty of time to get to know them during the show!

Where to find it:
Crunchyroll seems to have the exclusive rights to it, so you can find it streaming there.

Anyway, that's all I got, lets have some fun talking about horse girls running really fast!

cathead fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
....what?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I didn't make it through the first episode of this, but it might be worth it to try again.

I mean, I kind of lost it when in the first episode Special Week gets to the big city, with the letter that warns her that no one can be late getting to the dorm... and then she proceeds to forget, wander the big city to see the sights she's dreamed of, and is late to the dorm. Yes, it's a well worn trope, and I just can't watch it again! Again! arrrrggghhhhhhhh I can watch an idiot character but only if they're funny, drat it! and I had to stop there.

But perhaps powering through to later episodes will be worth a bit of frothing on the floor. Enough other people seem to be enjoying it.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Why horses? I can sort of get the appeal of battleship girls or whatever other "X but anime girls thing" because they can at least do ridiculous things. What's the appeal of "women's track and field but faster, but not so much faster that it actually changes anything?"

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/_Zivel/status/990779829074169857?s=19

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I love this show! I thought it might be creepy - because, come ON! - but it’s heartwarming and lovely and there is genuine excitement during the races.

I just don’t want an episode where one of the girls breaks her leg...

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So do Japanese horse tracks actually have hills?

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Dire Lemming posted:

Why horses? I can sort of get the appeal of battleship girls or whatever other "X but anime girls thing" because they can at least do ridiculous things. What's the appeal of "women's track and field but faster, but not so much faster that it actually changes anything?"

I don't know that Japan really needs an excuse to anthropomorphize a thing as cute girls at this point, and horse racing is really popular over there to begin with, so that sort of explains why the original concept came about. I think adapting it as a somewhat legit sports anime rather than going for something way more ridiculous actually worked out better since if you go too far over the top you start to lose the appeal of the original thing you're representing.

One of the things I like about this show is it FEELS like how a regular track and field anime would play out, just with the sort of whimsical extra additions of all the horse and racing-related references. It's grounded enough in reality that it helps to make the action believable, but not so much that it winds up just a regular-rear end track race. I actually really dig how the races themselves are done, they're pretty exciting in how they're portrayed, and all the interaction between the characters outside of the races gives you some investment in finding out who's going to win.

Considering how the Kancolle anime actually turned out, I think Uma Musume made the right decision in grounding the setting in reality a bit more than usual.

astr0man posted:

So do Japanese horse tracks actually have hills?

I was curious about this too but I couldn't find any actual evidence one way or another. I think it might be an extra addition to add some variety to the races themselves.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The sound engineer for this show is a brilliant genius. All the random and fitting SFX were the best and funniest parts of all episodes I watched.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

cathead posted:

(as the real McQueen is Gold Ship's grandpa)
I had no idea the horse lore went so deep.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dire Lemming posted:

It prints money.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am very confused both by the premise and by the fact that there is such a dedicated fan base for individual race horses, many of which apparently died decades ago

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Hope nothing happens to Silence Suzuka, lots of talk about injury and the real world horse died from an injury.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Didn't the author just pass away?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i am very confused both by the premise and by the fact that there is such a dedicated fan base for individual race horses, many of which apparently died decades ago

I’d be willing to bet this is astroturfed by that particular industry.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Grouchio posted:

Didn't the author just pass away?

It's an adaptation of a mobile game so there's no author, but the real Special Week passed away last Friday.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Like most fancy animal-based competitions there's a huge emphasis on pedigree, so an accomplished horse that then births future champions has that become part of their legacy as well. That's why on those wikipedia pages you'll see these lists of pedigree going back a couple generations.

Also I imagine it's nice when a horse wins you lots of money so people probably get worked up about that too.

cathead fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

superLINUS posted:

I love this show! I thought it might be creepy - because, come ON! - but it’s heartwarming and lovely and there is genuine excitement during the races.

Same. I was expecting it to be cute but it took me by surprise when they made it a reasonably competent sports/competition anime as well.

Demicol posted:

Hope nothing happens to Silence Suzuka, lots of talk about injury and the real world horse died from an injury.

To bore everyone with the details, in the last episode (6 - Autumn Skies...) Silence Suzuka ran in the Mainichi Okan against El Condor Pasa and Grass Wonder. This actually happened between these horses at a Mainichi Okan in 1998, with the result being as shown in the episode. They're also talking about Silence Suzuka's next race, the Tenno Sho. In 1998 the Tenno Sho which came after the Mainichi Okan is the race where the real Silence Suzuka died. With the trainers in episode 6 talking about the dangers of horsegirls running at race speeds, it seems like they're building to something happening.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Ah, she's had a premonition

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh boy protagonist, I, your best friend and rival, can't wait to face you in the big race, just as soon as I win this race first, which will definitely happen with no problems.

It would be terrible if something did happen and I was unable to compete, forcing you to win the big race carrying my determination in addition to your own. Luckily, the odds of that are extremely low.

- verbatim transcript of the first half of the episode

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 6, 2018

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I can't believe Silence Suzuka is loving dead

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

cathead posted:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

cathead posted:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think Trainer San made the right decision. The vets bills would have hurt the team and Silence would have gone through a lot of suffering.

This way is better for everyone.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I thought it was a really good episode despite knowing what was coming. Comparing it to the vid of the real Suzuka's injury, they really captured the huge lead into gradual slowdown and the rest of the pack passing by as everyone's like "what the hell?". The solemn award ceremony with El Condor Pasa, and Special Week running out onto the track to get to Suzuka were both nicely done as well.

Also Gold Ship/McQueen as Horse God was great.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Azza Bamboo posted:

Same. I was expecting it to be cute but it took me by surprise when they made it a reasonably competent sports/competition anime as well.

To bore everyone with the details, in the last episode (6 - Autumn Skies...) Silence Suzuka ran in the Mainichi Okan against El Condor Pasa and Grass Wonder. This actually happened between these horses at a Mainichi Okan in 1998, with the result being as shown in the episode. They're also talking about Silence Suzuka's next race, the Tenno Sho. In 1998 the Tenno Sho which came after the Mainichi Okan is the race where the real Silence Suzuka died. With the trainers in episode 6 talking about the dangers of horsegirls running at race speeds, it seems like they're building to something happening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_DVS_303kQ

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

cathead posted:

I can't believe the mobage still is not out yet

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

The world needs this old man now more than ever.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
The adherence to real world horse race outcomes makes me draw light comparisons to the Kancolle adaptation - the boat girls and horse girls carry with them the reputations of their namesakes, though it feels more well integrated here.
Now I wonder how they'll use the girls when they've finished living up to the reputation of their namesake.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

graybook posted:

The adherence to real world horse race outcomes makes me draw light comparisons to the Kancolle adaptation - the boat girls and horse girls carry with them the reputations of their namesakes, though it feels more well integrated here.
Now I wonder how they'll use the girls when they've finished living up to the reputation of their namesake.

It probably a lot easier when half your cast's real-life namesakes aren't guilty of war crimes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, used to commit war crimes. i don't think inanimate objects get charged with crimes of any sort very often.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
I'm finally caught up, and I'm glad everyone convinced me to give this show another chance. It's a really great show.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Vorpal Cat posted:

It probably a lot easier when half your cast's real-life namesakes aren't guilty of war crimes.

It’s less war crimes and more making a horror-tragedy in which all the cute little boat girls gradually get blown apart by a numerically and tactically superior force isn’t going to sell your game well.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

This week’s episode was weird. And I’m still horribly afraid that Silence will die.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
It seems like Silence Suzuka is healing fairly quickly, and if it wasn't for the knowledge in this thread of what happened to the real horses the characters are based on, I'd have assumed that Silence would be competing again, against Special Week, by the final episode. I can't imagine they'd have her hurt herself again while running too fast, since it would be just a repeat of the previous drama, so either they're going to outright kill her (which seems extreme for a show of this type), or have Silence suffer a permanent leg/foot injury, preventing her from ever running again...

Or they'll say the hell with history and have a cliche anime-ending with Silence winning races while breaking the sound barrier.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

I think the most likely outcome is Suzuka is able run again but nowhere near as fast as she could before, so she can no longer complete like she used to, and won't be winning any more races. That way it doesn't deviate from the real Suzuka's record, but also doesn't require anime Suzuka to get taken out behind the barn/to the glue factory. That (combined with Special Week's realizations in this week's episode) will probably spur Spe-chan to really start getting serious about aiming for the top.

Anyway yeah, this week's episode was a little weird but I thought it also was kind of a good way to highlight how Spe-chan is a LITTLE too obsessed with Suzuka. I actually thought it would be Suzuka herself who would confront her, but the way things played out with Grass Wonder was a good way of getting her to that realization too.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah she's THIS close to covering her half of their room with pictures of Suzuka.

What does happen to horse girls when they retire? Do they take up real jobs? Or maybe they become staff at the races. How old do they get before they stop running? :v:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Going to predict that the light moe sports show promoting a goofy mobage is NOT going to end with its commoditized cast being sent off to die industrial deaths at the end of their useful lifespans.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

YAY! for lovely happiness! This show is awesome and I can't believe I was actually rooting for el Condor in the Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

superLINUS posted:

YAY! for lovely happiness! This show is awesome and I can't believe I was actually rooting for el Condor in the Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe!

Was rooting for her but kind of glad she lost since she's still pretty young and against the best in Europe. Would be a bit much for her to beat Europe's best when she might still not be top 2 or 3 at Tracen, depending on how much Suzuka recovers.

• Locked thread