Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

the spinoffs contain some of the worst games capcom has ever made to balance that out

Which ones? I haven't played every light gun game but they have been competent in the ones I've tried and other than that the spinoffs that stick out as being trash is Gaiden (not made by Capcom) and Umbrella Corps (which is just a bizarre game).

I guess with the caveat being that I haven't played Operation Raccoon City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

In Training posted:

Which ones? I haven't played every light gun game but they have been competent in the ones I've tried and other than that the spinoffs that stick out as being trash is Gaiden (not made by Capcom) and Umbrella Corps (which is just a bizarre game).

I guess with the caveat being that I haven't played Operation Raccoon City

umbrella corps is pretty widely hated as kind of an unplayable trash shooter and orc is kind of in the same boat

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

orc is definitely worse than umbrella corps

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna play ORC out of curiosity but it's not easily available without my PS3 hooked up sadly

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

glam rock hamhock posted:

Thanks!

Yeah, I got it because the series has underwhelmed me and this is the one people seem to praise the most around here. I've been playing Triple Deluxe this week which I've had on my 3DS for awhile because it was cheap at some point and it's...fine. It's has some creativity and fun stuff in it but something about it still isn't fully grabbing me. I think it's the pacing. I know Kirby is a puffball and it makes sense for everything to be kind of floaty a mid paced but it just always feels like I want the game to move slightly better than it does. Still not bad or anything and I'm only in the third world but so far it's keeping my Kirby opinion where it already is.

It is funny to go back to a 3DS game from the time when they were still really trying to sell the 3D aspect of it.

people are real big on the 3DS games but i think Kirby is at its strongest when multiplayer is involved, whether co-op or something like Air Ride or Dream Course

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Dragon’s Dogma is the only Capcom game I have enjoyed since whenever Resident Evil originally came out.

God Hand
Viewtiful Joe
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 4
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

If you didn't play any of these, give them a shot!

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Am I to understand ORC and UC are canon?

I was reading the wiki on Lisa Trevor and it seemed so.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Housh posted:

I've had this issue for a whole year and I would complain each time. They would give me free games, credits, and prime extensions. This year they sourced some bizarre small courier company to deliver all my poo poo the next day. It's really great.

im going to complain and demand they send me xenoblade chronicles 2

drat all they did was change it to one day shipping since it hadn't even shipped yet and "there were none in stock at the nearest distributors" or some bullshit

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 1, 2018

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I can understand not liking the Devil May Cry games but I will think less of you.

I can't understand not liking Ghost Trick or Okami.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i think ghost trick was good but it wasn't like great or anything. phoenix wright original trilogy is though

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I really enjoyed ghost trick and the original phoenix wright games

I'm playing through apollo justice at the moment and man everybody just always seems to be clowning on apollo (only just got to the first real case) and I kinda wish he'd stand up for himself a little more because it just feels like he's letting himself get pushed around by everyone else.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

i think ghost trick was good but it wasn't like great or anything

hosed up if true

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
And now it's officially announced

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1002331391789617152

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost Trick is a perfect game.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm playing through apollo justice at the moment and man everybody just always seems to be clowning on apollo (only just got to the first real case) and I kinda wish he'd stand up for himself a little more because it just feels like he's letting himself get pushed around by everyone else.

AA4 is the black sheep for many reasons, including Apollo not really getting to be a hero. AA5 seriously redeems Apollo though, so look forward to that.

Perception is still the worst gimmick, though.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Colonel posted:

umbrella corps is pretty widely hated as kind of an unplayable trash shooter and orc is kind of in the same boat

I think ORC would have been better if the enemies weren't so dang bullet spongey

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yessssssssss, actually excited about this. Also hoping for a new Splinter Cell announcement.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If they brought back Michael Ironside, I also hope they brought back Amon Tobin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X0tDvCpxmY

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/KazHiraiCEO/status/1002326806140215300?s=20

Lol I'll miss Kaz

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

homeless snail posted:

orc is definitely worse than umbrella corps

Idk I played through all of ORC and it was just super bland. Umbrella Corps was actively ugly and pointless

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Am I to understand ORC and UC are canon?

I was reading the wiki on Lisa Trevor and it seemed so.

It was my understanding that ORC was non-canon and I am going to work to that assumption because its story is really dumb

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I love Blacklist's gameplay but for some reason have never finished it, despite trying it twice and enjoying it quite a lot.

The lack of a coop partner probably didn't help, I did some missions with a buddy once and they were great - the ones where a single alarm is an instafail - but then he never played again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

al-azad posted:

I wish Capcom sold off Ghost Trick and Ace Attorney to Chunsoft or literally anyone else who gives a drat.

A spiritual/mechanical successor would be cool but GT is fine as a one-off and ace attorney is still very active? Missing DGS hurt but the main series is chugging along for better or worse.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

considering capcom hasnt made an in-house fg since 3rd Strike-ish im assuming their future FG plans will continue to be: outsource their brand.

actually wasn MvCI in-house?

Yup

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Capcom had a good run in the early days of the HD generation when Dead Rising and Lost Planet didn't have a lot of competition, Mega Man 9 doing 8 bit seemed unique and then RE5 and SF4 both sold really well. They tried to branch out by publishing a bunch of Western developed games (Dark Void, Bionic Commando and eventually DmC) which all sucked and lost them a lot of money. They really mismanaged both the Lost Planet and Dead Rising sequels which killed one franchise and has really capped out the other. Dragon's Dogma kicked rear end but IIRC they spent a ton of money making it and it didn't really work out for them. Now on any Capcom game that isn't mainline RE or MH you can realllllllly feel the budget. Street Fighter x Tekken, Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite have all been disastrous out of the gate and had huge money grabs in them and it's hard to see where they go from here fighting games wise. I remain hopeful for Devil May Cry 5.

To add to this they were extremely obtrusive with the development of their Western games - Bionic Commando 2009's storyline was butchered and the tone of the game was supposed to be lighter, but Capcom kept insisting Western audiences liked more serious settings which led to the finished game's constant switching of comedy/serious with very little in-between and things like the main character's design. DmC was in a similar situation with them constantly rejecting designs for being "too Japanese."

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hey, chat

been a while, splatoon ate a loving lot of waking time last couple weeks

a swift and merciless assault by the black dog has put paid to wanting to do that tonight, but gotta fill time somehow

what should i play

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

5 and 6 greatly develop Apollo's character but the downside is Capcom caving in and bringing Phoenix back as a playable character alongside someone else, so he ends up sharing screentime with two other playable characters and his development greatly suffers as a result.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DMC in particular was the weirdest target for a reboot since it was successful and even upwardly trending from 3 to 4 after recovering from DMC2's reputation hit, and then they basically barred that team from making another all the way up to today.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

didn't the devil may cry team do a lot of work on dragon's dogma?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, Itsuno is the director of both Dogma and later DMC, which explains why he wasn't making one then, but not why it's still MIA after DD got sent to the online grindgame asset mill.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GUI posted:

5 and 6 greatly develop Apollo's character but the downside is Capcom caving in and bringing Phoenix back as a playable character alongside someone else, so he ends up sharing screentime with two other playable characters and his development greatly suffers as a result.

Yeah, I think he only actually has one case in 5, compared to Phoenix and Athena who both get multiple ones.

I've not played Spirit of Justice though so maybe he's got screentime there :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I honestly think Detroit is gonna end up being my GOTY runner-up, after Yakuza 6 and God of War tied for the top spot

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Motto posted:

DMC in particular was the weirdest target for a reboot since it was successful and even upwardly trending from 3 to 4 after recovering from DMC2's reputation hit, and then they basically barred that team from making another all the way up to today.

Hideaki Itsuno was burnt out from Devil May Cry games since he had been working on them nonstop from DMC2's development hell. The series seemed to be hitting a sales wall while the God of War games by Sony Santa Monica were going from strength to strength. So Ninja Theory got the series and Itsuno got to work on his dream game of Dragon's Dogma. Ninja Theory actually wanted to make a very faithful entry for the series but Capcom pushed them to make their own take on it. This is how the game got it's heaven/hell weapon mechanic and the mature tone for its story.

There was also a business reason as to why Capcom began to heavily outsource to mid-sized Western developers. During the time DmC was in development, the yen was unusually strong. This meant that sales overseas didn't hold the same value as domestic sales but the purchasing power of Japanese publishers was stronger when it came to working with overseas developers. This was the era where you saw a lot of Japanese outsource development of old IPs to Western developers, such as Front Mission Evolved and Bionic Commando, in order to modernize them. Many Japanese games hit a brick wall trying to succeed in Europe and North America so there was a push to work with overseas developers and figure out what was going wrong.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 1, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the crew 2 feels like it's going to be the watch_dogs 2 to the original the crew's watch_dogs

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
or at least it'll probably be up hter ewith burnout paradise as chillout racing game

i'm enjoying how seamless moving between air/sea/ground is and how the loading is basically nil at all kind of like driver san francisco

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

for lack of any other input i guess i'll buy and play Minit

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ciaphas posted:

what should i play

Observer

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

I've not played Spirit of Justice though so maybe he's got screentime there :shrug:
He's got a bunch in Spirit of Justice, yeah.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
drat, glad I was right about Overload definitely being GOTM, because it is definitely GOTM.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

precision posted:

I honestly think Detroit is gonna end up being my GOTY runner-up, after Yakuza 6 and God of War tied for the top spot

Dont tell me David Cage did well in spite of himself and every other thing he's done.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mordja posted:

drat, glad I was right about Overload definitely being GOTM, because it is definitely GOTM.

i want to buy this in vr just to see if i truly am invulnerable to vr sickness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Dont tell me David Cage did well in spite of himself and every other thing he's done.

from the sounds of it, David Cage mostly failed to stop the people around him from doing well

• Locked thread