Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Motto posted:

brawl is the best, but only because of all the dumbass mods you can easily add to it

I just really liked the movement in it better than other games. I've always been a fan of air combat, and Wolf was great for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothing in life matters

Games are fun

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Games are fun

Play games you like

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Argue with internet strangers for liking the wrong games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Argue with internet strangers for liking the right games but in a way that displeases you

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

How has everyone's day been?

I'm actually taking a soak in a Hot Tub after helping out with some heavy lifting and playing a lot of DrumMania this weekend. Feels very nice.

How about you?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just started work and I want to die

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am playing Gunvolt 2 and it is hosed up that he is cheating on his girlfriend right in front of her and the game constantly reminds you of how owned she is due to being dead.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 22, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Volfogg posted:

I'm actually taking a soak in a Hot Tub after helping out with some heavy lifting and playing a lot of DrumMania this weekend. Feels very nice.

How about you?

I was at work but now I am at home and watching Peacecraft for the 100th time

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Volfogg posted:

How about you?

I did a bunch of stuff during the morning so to reward myself I took a little nap after lunch that ended up being six hours long. I read this article from AV Club about a trilogy of classic italian gangster movies so I scrounged around the web for torrents and talked about Evangelion with a buddy and how I never actually watched the OG Series aside from an episode here and there on Locomotion in the 90s so I'm also torrenting that.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Regy Rusty posted:

Nothing in life matters

On a practical level nothing matters because eventually the entire universe will break down from heat death and all things will be destroyed. Value only exists in the perception of the human mind and is based upon arbitrary standards that vary from society to person.

While its impossible for the average person to ignore the values of society due to need to not starve to death, I believe the things we should value the most are what we find fulfilling. So if someone gets value out of a mostly mindless grind, that's fine. What I object to is a lot of modern games (the mobile and MMO market mainly) essentially tricking people into seeing value where they otherwise wouldn't. They create psychological traps that suck you into the game and heavily discourage you from leaving it. At a certain point people stop playing the game and the game is essentially playing them. People feel obligated to continue playing the game past the point of enjoyment because they are "invested" in it. When it becomes a leech not only on your free time but also your funds, its a massive issue.

What people do in their free time is ultimately up to them, but I think its important to take a step back and objectively evaluate what you are doing from time to time. If playing a game is starting to feel like a second job rather than entertainment then you need to seriously reconsider it, no matter how much investment you have in it.

....I doubt this even applies to anywhere here mind you. Its just me venting about this kind of stuff since it depresses me.

Volfogg posted:

How about you?

I played DoW 2 and was drawing a picture but then I got a weird cramp in my hand. I hope it goes away because I really wanted to finish the drawing I was working on.

Also someone on tumblr gave me what I think was a genuine art compliment and it made me feel fuzzy.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I did a bunch of stuff during the morning so to reward myself I took a little nap after lunch that ended up being six hours long. I read this article from AV Club about a trilogy of classic italian gangster movies so I scrounged around the web for torrents and talked about Evangelion with a buddy and how I never actually watched the OG Series aside from an episode here and there on Locomotion in the 90s so I'm also torrenting that.

if you make it through however many episodes (24?) you get to watch one of the greatest animated movies ever made and gain incredible meme powers related to hands

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
EoE is also included in the pack, so yea, I'm going all the way in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i tried to do a dungeon in weapons master mode in soulcalibur 2 and it was full of berserkers who moved insanely fast and killed me in three hits

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m just getting my little brother ready for bed, not much else going on in Rax-Land.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

Sakurazuka posted:

Please don't die.

Internet Kraken posted:

I played DoW 2 and was drawing a picture but then I got a weird cramp in my hand. I hope it goes away because I really wanted to finish the drawing I was working on.

Also someone on tumblr gave me what I think was a genuine art compliment and it made me feel fuzzy.

I hope the cramp has faded, and congrats on the compliment. It's always nice to get positive reinforcement on what you enjoy doing.

The Colonel posted:

i tried to do a dungeon in weapons master mode in soulcalibur 2 and it was full of berserkers who moved insanely fast and killed me in three hits

:rip:

Hot Tub soak went well. Legs feel much more relaxed, and my arms aren't feeling as tense now.

I would post one of the best related SNL sketches (James Brown Celebrity Hot Tub Party), but the only upload on YouTube is a lovely off-screen recording. So, instead, have a song from DrumMania that I should be able to do decently on, but need to play with a friend that has the song because I didn't unlock it when I had the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbCUFpL7_ys

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Volfogg posted:

How about you?

Making an effort to play more multiplayer games so jumping into Conan Exiles. I made the easy pun of Thulsa Goon and now am wandering the wastes swinging wild and free.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Looper posted:

voice acting aside, Baten Kaitos is actually a much better game

I absolutely hated that weird rear end card deck combat system. I think that's what put me off most

Sakurazuka posted:

I also just got to work about 40 minutes ago. Now that I've checked emails, eaten breakfast, and faffed off for a few minutes, I'm about to head down and continue troubleshooting a machine from yesterday with a problem I've never seen

Skypie fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 22, 2018

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sakurazuka posted:

Weekdays are the worst.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Volfogg posted:

How about you?

Could be better. I'm okay for the time being but I'm stressed 'cause my birthday's coming up on Sunday and I'm probably gonna have to get my disability hearing postponed because I haven't been able to get the proper documentation for it yet and it's all just very bleh

Just gotta make it through the day, had some annoying/stressful dreams and I'm hoping today is gonna be relatively calm.

Just kinda wanna fall back asleep though.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yakuza 3 through 5 getting separate PS4 remasters in Japan, gently caress yes.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'm going to platinum them all again because that's just how I am

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpUHtDBZWyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bW75OwVXZI

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The meaning of life is to value what you choose to be.

I choose to be as happy as possible during my time alive. Some of it is taken up with other people. Some is writing. Some is reading. Some is playing video games.

It is simple, but it works for me :D

Also, when people are saying Ys and Tales are Arpgs, do you mean arpgs like Diablo3? If so that is very much my jam!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They're much different to Diablo style games, Ys is like 2D Zelda without the puzzles and three times as fast combat, Tales is like a traditional JRPG only instead of selecting stuff from a menu in combat you just run up and whack things.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Also, when people are saying Ys and Tales are Arpgs, do you mean arpgs like Diablo3? If so that is very much my jam!

Nah, as silly as it seems, "ARPG" and "Action RPG" tend to be used to define different things despite ARPG meaning "Action RPG."

I think it's largely an east vs west thing, with eastern action rpgs being more or less just "rpg, but faster" with stuff like ys where you run around slashing at enemies until you level up, or kingdom hearts where it has a menu for doing your attacks but the menuing is very fast. Compare that to western ARPGs where they tend to be defined by loot-based equipment and giving you more control over how your character improves from level to level.

At least, that's just what I've noticed. I love Ys games but if you go into it thinking you're getting something like Diablo, you're gonna be disappointed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Actually it stands for "Anime RPG"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ys is like a hack and slash on a sub par darksouls map with very very skippable cutscenes. Its very good

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

actually, rpg

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

on a sub par darksouls map

I don't understand, what?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's the Dark Souls of maps

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hell yeah ALL Yakuzas on PS4

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/998817082908336131

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't understand, what?

Ys maps are interconnected, have lots of short cuts to unlock, and rest camps smattered around.

They just are lamer than the best examples of such maps that you see in say ds1

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

how castletroidsoulsian

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well that is me confused/enlightened at the same time!
Something to try in the future I think! :)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Ys maps are interconnected, have lots of short cuts to unlock, and rest camps smattered around.

They just are lamer than the best examples of such maps that you see in say ds1

Idk, I never really found them to be all that interconnected. I mean, yeah it's one big place but the individual places are pretty well separated from one another. I only played Ys Origins, 1, 2, and 6 though. 6 was probably the closest to what you're describing, but even then its shortcuts were largely just plot bits that showed up to make it so the player wouldn't have to backtrack through dungeons to advance the plot.

Idk where I'm going with any of this. I just thought it was odd to describe an overworld as being like Dark Souls :v:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Memories of Celceta is the only Ys with that kind of shortcut. Mostly they go in for teleports.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VideoGames posted:

Well that is me confused/enlightened at the same time!
Something to try in the future I think! :)

If you see Ys Origin on sale on PS4 or Steam it's the best place to start with that series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

Compare that to western ARPGs where they tend to be defined by loot-based equipment and giving you more control over how your character improves from level to level.

I've always understood "action RPG" to mean an RPG that is more skill-based and more oriented around direct character control than other RPGs which are more about gear and stats. In one of those you can punch above your weight with sufficient practice and luck, in the other the fights are deliberately rigged to be unwinnable if you don't have the prereqs yet. Like how sl1 runs of Dark Souls are now pretty common but there are a lot of games in which failing to level will eventually roadblock you because you literally cannot damage the enemies.

• Locked thread