Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

Better d-pad than the switch :(

Honestly the only D-pad I like is the dualshock's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Help Im Alive posted:

Better d-pad than the switch :(

Maybe on yours

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

ah dang everyone's getting new avs again

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe on yours

I got this its great (but the placement is so low it hurts the hand long term)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

Spring forum cleaning

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

oddium posted:

Gotta fund that new robospine

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like at this point if you're gonna go the double av route it should be from a DS game and take into account the space.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are double avs done by just puting an [img] tag in the title text or do you need to bug a mod to do it

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[img] doesn't work unless it's hosted by sa so you buy an av of the bottom, then buy another and add [img] of the first one in the title text

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

everyone was jelly of my "building tvs in the post apocalypse to play video games" static chic

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That slime/ghost girl double av has kind of a 3d effect going on for me but maybe I'm losing my mind

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

That slime/ghost girl double av has kind of a 3d effect going on for me but maybe I'm losing my mind

The people in the background moving gives it a kind of parallax effect

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You could probably take advantage of the line break in long avs to make a really cool 3d effect if you wanted right?

Not me. But like, someone talented could.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

oddium posted:

Be like me and never change your avatar until someone buys you a red text.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saint Freak posted:

You could probably take advantage of the line break in long avs to make a really cool 3d effect if you wanted right?

Not me. But like, someone talented could.

Yeah using a line break as a fixed point in space as a frame of reference could help highlight the "3d" of an image. Although... for that to really work I think you have to be able to have things stick over the line break... so maybe not.

I'm not an artist I dunno.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Zaphod42 posted:

Friend, before Microsoft online services were free. Completely free. I'm not sure losing Microsoft is as bad as you think it would be.

If it wasn't for the 'alternative' we'd still have free PSN.

So yours is the most terrible of takes.

Microsoft got away with charging for Live because they were the big console of the two of them in that gen, and Sony now gets away with charging for their online because they are the big console of this gen. It's the same reason Sony says no to crossplay but MS is willing to do it. How anyone can look at competition and go "No, this is bad, I want to be forced to use one system and be enslaved to the whims of that console maker" is insane.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

the answer is no consoles

e: also doesn't that just means you're trading features vs wider dev support, esp since the market leader's stance just becomes normalized regardless of reversals

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finished the story for Titanfall 2 today. :homebrew: I enjoyed it. Will there be a Titanfall 3?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
No one commented on my new av (I really like it at least)

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I finished the story for Titanfall 2 today. :homebrew: I enjoyed it. Will there be a Titanfall 3?
Probably

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

Ea says so but the studio is currently doing a starwars game that will likely come first

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

glam rock hamhock posted:

that's the dlc voice girl from starcraft right

good choice! my dad always researches that one

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I like it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I was watching some videos on Bloodborne lore and is there any other game series where the placement of pickups is often used to tell the story?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I was watching some videos on Bloodborne lore and is there any other game series where the placement of pickups is often used to tell the story?

Dark souls

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

super mario's oddessy

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The greatest videogame character of all time, 2B, is finally ready for eSports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agW5oSBtFVM

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Happy birthday QFG2! :)

Planescape Torment maybe

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

To the extent that From Software does it in Bloodborne/Dark Souls? Not that I know of. Its a very unconventional way of storytelling that encourages the player to pay attention to a lot of little details and piece together the story on their own. I think its an effective way of getting people to engage with the writing where they otherwise might not. People can enjoy a straightforward story when its told to them without really thinking about it. Enjoying the plot in Soulsborne games requires thought and effort, which encourages people to engage with the writing on a level they normally wouldn't.

I mean a testament to its effectiveness is just how popular all those ~lore~ videos are. However those videos in a way have backfired and kept people from thinking about the game's writing on their own. The intent of Soulsborne storytelling is to get you to draw your own conclusions about the story but a lot of people don't do that and instead rely entirely on popular videos, and reject any ideas that aren't endorsed by some figurehead in the community. So in a way, those videos have stifled the amount of unique thought being put into the analysis of the writing. That's not the fault of either From or the people that make those videos, just how the community has evolved.

:words: tldr: Soulsborne writing is really unique but also problematic due to how reliant people have become on those lore videos.

EDIT: Hollow Knight has a lot of lore that is told indirectly in the style of Soulsborne but its not done through item descriptions since the game has relatively few collectibles. Its the same style of presenting a very fragmented story the player has to piece together through their own investigations though. Its very obvious where they got their inspiration from.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:46 on May 1, 2018

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Halo: ODST, after a fashion

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Gone Home.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The GameTrailers narrator guy has a new series on Easy Allies where he talks about weird games you shouldn't skip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIrvoKhoBo

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I watched Batman Ninja last night with the wife. The 3d animation was actually pretty good and the story was goofy in a a good way. It felt like it was trying really hard to be a Platinum game, but with bad one liners.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Ometeotl posted:

Microsoft got away with charging for Live because they were the big console of the two of them in that gen, and Sony now gets away with charging for their online because they are the big console of this gen. It's the same reason Sony says no to crossplay but MS is willing to do it. How anyone can look at competition and go "No, this is bad, I want to be forced to use one system and be enslaved to the whims of that console maker" is insane.

Sony wanted crossplay last gen and MS said no. It benefits the losing console more. If you could buy a 230 euro Xbone over a 300 euro PS4 slim and still play with your friends at Fortnite, that's a lost sale for Sony.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man you ever wondered how the Golden Sun series was supposed to end

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Calaveron posted:

Man you ever wondered how the Golden Sun series was supposed to end

No i wondered who actually made it through the intro of the game without falling asleep

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yay! I named to beat the next Valkerie without bitching about online first!

Also I like I've gotten to the point in the GoW plot where Kratos has to deal with the thing all assholes trying to be better for their kids fear: their kids becoming assholes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like I remember dark dawn would get slower as you got more characters not because the battle system got more complex but because every one of those nine fuckers had to chime in on literally every line of dialogue of every one of the unending cutscenes
Also how they only actually planned four characters, the Earth, fire, wind and second water adepts and the rest were just window dressing with no other importance to the plot

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

No i wondered who actually made it through the intro of the game without falling asleep

Bored kids stuck in the back of the car with their GBA

AKA me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I liked Golden Sun way back when

• Locked thread