Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

spudsbuckley posted:

The best way to sell games is to make good ones.

god i loving wish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Stop giving these enemies so much loving HP!!!!

put this on my tombstone

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

this is the poo poo I was talking about before though, its like saying "ah well they have to make movies incredibly lovely now, think of the international gross". its not your place as a consumer to care about the machinations of capitalists, only if the end result of the production is good or bad. you can definitely sympathize with the lovely situation that the workers are put in, but ultimately they're making bad, exploitative products and if that's what the game industry aspires to then maybe there shouldn't be a game industry

:yeah:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

univbee posted:

I’m still waiting for someone to make an expansive and complex open world game with essentially gta3-tier graphics.

this does more or less happen it's just that it's, like, a bunch of russian modders doing total conversions of STALKER and releasing it for free

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i think there's still a kind of gap in game design where to make certain kinds of games that aren't popular enough to get much AAA representation but are too complicated and expensive to make to have much indie representation either

and another overlapping circle in that venn diagram, of genres that only a handful of studios / developers in all of gaming history actually know how to make while most everyone else just embarasses themselves, like fighting games or RTSes or shmups

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Midir is worse than the Nameless King's chicken, and on top of that, Midir is the whole fight. There's no good part aftwards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Midir's camera absolutely does not work properly. The only thing I can think of that might make you think that is if you simply learned to stop locking on to bosses in between fighting Nameless King for the first time and the Ringed City DLC coming out.

And even then he still has the same problem as most dragons where it's a giant pain in the rear end to judge distance vs. size and short weapons whiff against them all the time because even though it looks like you're standing right in front of their noses, you aren't.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also his attack patterns are boring "literally just laser the entire screen" bullshit and he does that thing where even if you stick close to him he occasionally just leaps across the entire football field-sized arena and you have to run to catch up (nameless chicken does this too, but at least the arena's smaller and it dies quickly.)

Humanoid bosses in Souls game don't do that, which is part of why all the best fights are vs. humanoids and dragon fights in particular always suck.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

what if you're playing like magicka

there are no teammates in magicka

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

choose your mom

as with all other things, generation 2 is best

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

good. wifi is the devil and I wish it could be uninvented

I would settle for a compromise: a platform can either have fighting games or wifi, but not both.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

I'm the president now and I say the only things that can legally have wifi are phones and handhelds, but also the switch dock must now have an ethernet jack

i'd vote for you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

In Training posted:

I mean, he's right.

He's right, but at the same time his game's aesthetic is hideous and its marketing was nonsensical, and that stuff actually matters.

You could get people to play a game built on the model of Quake 3 or Reflex Arena or whatever other "good because it's unforgiving and emphasizes individual skill" game you want to stump for if you put the same kind of resources that Overwatch has into its graphics, sound design, and so on. It wouldn't be as popular as a game where you design characters and abilities to devalue core FPS skills and/or have teammates to offset the sense of personal responsibility for your success or failure, which is why it doesn't happen, but it wouldn't be self-sabotage on the level of Lawbreakers.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"I learned it from watching YOU play Halo with a controller, dad!"

*runs out of the room crying*

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Its survival horror so being too slow to dodge and having bullets bounce off poo poo seems to have been on purpose. I just ran past everything in my run

As a fan of survival games that also have good combat, I'm really not a fan of "it's survival horror, therefore the combat has to be garbage."

Prey probably gets better deeper into the game but when I'm two hours in and the only gun I have is a crappy pea-shooter that takes 3 shots to kill the most basic enemies and I've only found about 30 ammo for it in that whole time, I'm just not interested in seeing where the game is going with this.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Also "you're encouraged to use strict stealth and not engage with enemies at all" and "all your XP-like upgrades come from scavenger hunting the levels" are directly opposed player incentives and I hate that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

lets hang out posted:

good thing there are more options for dealing with enemies than "shooting them" and "avoiding them entirely"

It's more that those are presented among the options but actually choosing either of them sucks. I want to shoot things; I would also be fairly happy with avoiding things entirely if I weren't going to be (possibly permanently?) penalized for it. Either way it's pretty clear that the game either expects me to play tag while grabbing upgrades and loot, which is also miserable because you move like a snail, or to just focus on surviving for right now and come back later, which, again, considering the gunplay is bad, the movement is bad, and the stealth is just okay, is asking for more benefit of the doubt than I'm willing to give.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Harrow posted:

The wrench is secretly very good but you gotta charge your swings

I've played System Shock 2 and Bioshock, it's not that secret. :v:

Honestly it's not that the game isn't a good example of SS2's gameplay model, I just don't like the model. I don't find it scary for the player character to be weak and slow, I find it boring. It's much scarier to have effective tools and abilities at your disposal and then be put in situations where you're still effectively outgunned or where the threat operates on a completely different paradigm. STALKER is a great example, especially the first game with all the labs and underground portions.

Also a lot of what turned me off isn't even "it's hard" and more just "stupid poo poo games do because modern FPS developers have brain spiders" like screwing with your camera turn rate while you're sprinting.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

What?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

DisDisDis posted:

That sounds really bad. Sorry this is why I shouldn't reply to things with just lol

Oh okay, no worries then.

I understand why they did it -- sprinting in 90s / early 2000 FPSes is often something you want to do all the time, even if they do implement a stamina bar, and it's natural for game devs to look for ways to balance something that's otherwise a no-brainer. It just feels awful and they should have either found another way to do it or just chalked it up as an acceptable non-decision.

(And in Prey's case specifically, just the very limited stamina bar might have been enough to do the trick anyways.)

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 17, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The real solution of course is to just make the player go so fast they don't need a sprint button and if they want to slow down you can bind "walk" to ALT or something. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Just here to lol at you complaining about other people having brain spiders

I'm not going to apologize for having standards.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

are digimon names all puns like pokemon names, this is extremely important

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

What if pokemon had/were guns

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Even the Digimon designs that aren't outright stupid are way too busy.

There are good Pokemon in every generation but there are also stupid Pokemon in every generation and the number of stupid Pokemon grows each time a new generation tries to reinvent the wheel with regard to generic animal types that nobody cares about.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also that hosed up rear end-deer at least has personality, the worst pokemon is Seel

it's literally just a seal, with its name misspelled and significantly less cute than the real animal

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I honestly feel bad for whoever had to come up with new Pokemon at this point. I mean 151 already covers a lot of ground and with every subsequent game coming up with new combinations of things plus elements must get downright oppressive.

exactly, they should just re-use the pidgeys and ratattas and so on and focus on coming up with cool legendaries or animals from completely different biomes / mythical creatures / etc.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

what pokemon is this, i haven't played any of the new games in years

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Oh, huh. I played Generation III but I never got deep into fishing, I guess I just never caught one.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

homeless snail posted:

what's the earliest game with usable toilets, just pissed in a urinal in rokudenashi blues for the sfc and it got me thinking

School Daze for ZX-Spectrum, maybe? I can't remember for sure if that's something you could do but there were a lot of weird minor interactions with the environment in that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Honestly, I think I'd hate it if I wasn't part of the Goon Clan. There's a lot of unexplained mechanics, and the early game is terribly balanced.

Yeah I tried to play it solo for a bit to see if I liked it and this stuff plus the FOV basically killed it for me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

A callus on your thumb is a mark of gamer pride. Impress your friends

if you're a console peasant, sure

the real mark of pride is when it's on the ball of your wrist on your mouse hand :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

People who use keyboard for platform or fighting games are insane

:wrong:

like 99% fighting games only take digital input. there is no use for pressure sensitivity or more than eight types of directional input or anything like that. it makes literally no difference, except in badly coded games where a keyboard / hitbox is actually an advantage because you can exploit the ability to press opposite directions at the same time

Internet Kraken posted:

Everytime I tell people I play Dark Souls on a keyboard they call me crazy but it works dammit.

this on the other hand is crazy, Dark Souls has a free camera and fine-grained directional movement and that's exactly the kind of thing that benefits from a stick / mouse

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

internet kraken has claimed that he plays the game exclusively on the keyboard without a mouse though

yes i know, that's what i'm responding to

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Dark Souls on keyboard and mouse is a trade-off, you lose a little bit of fine control over e.g. roll direction and so on but on the other hand it's a million times better for aiming ranged weapons and quick-swapping rings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

ranged weapons are more for cheesing stuff than for actual combat purposes though, you rarely ever need to do quick precision aiming and any situation where you'd be using aiming for combat you're going to be locked on probably

I use them in PvP fairly often.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mordja posted:

I can't imagine not playing a game, any game without KBAM.

Racing games and arguably certain twin-stick shooters do better without.

That's basically it though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

some twinstick games have the mouse simulate a virtual joystick instead of having cursor aim which feels crummy, is what i think he meant. nier automata in particular has 100% perfect mouse controls except for when it moves into a twinstick section, where it resets your aim due right during any fraction of a second that your mouse is not physically moving in a direction

Pretty much. I say "arguably" because it's not hard to imagine these games with a cursor reticle like Nuclear Throne has (and being the better for it) but I can also imagine a game like that where precision movement does matter enough to want a controller (and unlike 3D platformers or FPSes or whatever, you can't fudge that precision in by using a combination of 8-way directional input + camera angle.)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i think you should play video games with a control method that feels comfortable to you personally

It's not really about what the player does, it's about what developers do. If you design an FPS where precision aiming is difficult or impossible, it has major implications for how you do level design, weapon design, what kind of movement abilities are appropriate, and so on.

You can't do this with a gamepad. (An extreme example, but you get the general idea.) This means that, if you're developing an FPS for consoles, there's no reason to put the mechanics that enable that kind of gameplay in your game. Which in turn is a major contributor to the arena FPS all but dying out as a genre.

Shooters are probably the genre most affected by this, but how people physically interact with your game has similar implications for any game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

chumbler posted:

Those dedicated communities also would refuse to play any modern attempts to make what they like anyway, so no major loss there.

yeah, all those modern attempts to make what they like, for example...

wait a second :thunk:

• Locked thread