Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

God of War is a hack n' slash action-adventure in the vein of Darksiders with a similar structure to the latest Uncharted/Raiders: One open worldish hub area that you return to at various points throughout the story interdicted with "advance plot here" plot missions usually culminating in a big boss setpiece. There are a lot of secret areas and some looping pathways with optional bosses and treasure rooms. The story's not too bad and the level design, combat, art direction and environments are all exceptional. It's a really good game with almost zero filler, not much more to be said. If you like character driven single-player narrative games that don't look like a piece of crap or take 100 hours to beat then God of War is a must-play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Imagine the power increase you could get by attaching two or three 32x stacks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon Zero Dawn was proudly inspired by JRPGs/anime and needed a suitably word salad title.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

No announcement yet but it’s a flagship first-party game and there are some things in it that stand out as obvious add-on access points so I’d say it’s likely.

It’s absolutely worth buying right now, though.

Horizon did a similar thing last year where they said "no planned DLC" but then after a couple months when it was a gigundo bazillion seller they said "okay we found some DLC under the couch." Probably to keep stragglers from waiting on some kind of GOTY edition.

That being said GoW like HZD is a totally complete-feeling game at release and doesn't need an expansion although I'd gladly welcome it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Awhile back there was some rumor floating around that MS would buy exclusivity rights to Cyberpunk 2077 but that was probably just wishful thinking.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can't wait to roll a technomage in the definitely coming out soon video game, Cyberpunk 2077. I'll be real popular, some might even say a star citizen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Yeah, it seems like Tomb Raider R3boot has this too. All the promos have big XBOX logos, but it's set to release all platforms same day.

Not too sure about this, like Sony and Steam each have their own channels promoting the game and it displays all 3 platforms in the thumbnail. They might get a gameplay showcase on the XB stage though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

MS seems uninterested in making the X-Box anything more than a proprietary Win10 gaming machine if they don't pull out of the console market altogether, which is unfortunate because competition is good for the industry and exclusives are where you tend to find games that aren't multiplatform service-based monstrosities.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was watching some videos on Bloodborne lore and is there any other game series where the placement of pickups is often used to tell the story?

Gone Home.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Skypie posted:

How much will I be looked down on by a store clerk if I buy Dragons Crown Pro

You can always buy digital to hide your shame.

OTOH the clerk works at Gamestop so there's an even shot he's just as into anime boobies as you are.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The first time I loaded up Soul Calibur on my Dreamcast and saw 100% smooth butts and boobies, I knew my life as a gamer would never be the same.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpNS8jYniLY

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to figure there is probably a non-zero number of people who have been crushed to death by their own video game collection.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The only physical game I’ve bought in the last ten years was that expensive-rear end vinyl edition of Life is Strange and that was mostly just for the album.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I had the Myst novels as a kid and it was super
cool because they had the same cover style as the actual linking books in the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There are a few select behaviors that instantly let you know a person is not worth your time and one of them is talking poo poo about the Golden Girls.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Omigod never read Steam comments. Re: Lara Croft's model in the new Tomb Raider game.

Buzzardbee40AnsToujoursPuceau posted:

i'm sorry but what is see here is serena williams white, this is not lara's body from rottr,
this is a baboon with a commando outfit.

the face is nice, same as riottr but the body, wow. omg. it's a gorilla lol

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Nina posted:

I went to double check the trailer and Lara looks the same to me though? Like she's not even particularly buff wtf

This is the actual in-game model being referenced.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah I'd say it's definitely a little trick of the lighting causing people to go off on a racist tirade against Serena Williams.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Badthrow of the Tom Braider

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The thing is even if you put a pretty homely looking person as the protagonist of your game then they’ll naturally begin to seem more attractive in the eyes of your audience because we are conditioned to sympathize with the main character of a story.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hard to tell because she's a cat person but I think Mae Borowski is supposed to be kinda chunky.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I play games specifically to tune out my spouse + all worldly distractions so the podcast thing never made sense to me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mothers Day is coming up so Bayo would be more thematically appropriate as #1 Gaming Mom.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think colons are hella ugly aesthetically and much prefer direct sequel numbers or just "Name of Series."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Doesn't this make sense for a game like Destiny though? They've already got 96% of anybody who would buy this game for more than $40 by now and they want as large a userbase as possible to buy their upcoming DLC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Have there been any expansions released yet? I remember one of the complaints against Destiny 1 was you had to buy the DLC if you wanted to have people to play with because everyone had moved on.

There was one that came out in the winter that wasn't very well-received and they're releasing another one this month I think?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The whole "mostly linear story missions interconnected by 1-3 larger hub areas that you return to at various points throughout the game" has been around long before Asylum, although God of War does proudly display its influences there. It's used a lot because it works, particularly for action games since the structure helps keep forward momentum.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I can’t believe Charli XCX’s next album is a console exclusive.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Incredible, nobody wanted to buy a bunch of cardboard boxes they could put their Switch in.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:pcgaming: is a stupid expensive hobby and I would heartily recommend making a six-figure income and/or never having children so that you can keep up on the hottest releases.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You have to admire the forward-thinking grift of Hellgate: London and its "lifetime" subscription. Recent innovators like EA have improved on the concept by selling $199 super-deluxe mega hype editions of Mass Effect: Andromeda (game not included).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Anybody who says "anybody who says video game stories are good has never read a book," has never read a book.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No game should take more than 20 hours to beat.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I read Kim Stanley Robinson’s entire Mars trilogy as a 13 year-old and even at that age I came away from it thinking “drat, this guy is horny.”

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"Wow I'm sure glad that game took 100 hours to beat" - me, never.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't know where you get that idea. I'm generally really positive about all the games I play!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Really Pants posted:

games are too narrow and should be wider

I miss when PC games came in those gigantic boxes with notepads and thicc instruction manuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Supposedly they wanted Lara Croft but PS All-Stars had a release date ahead of TR2013 and Square didn't want that game upstaging her return in the reboot.

• Locked thread