Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Hey wait a minute this purple guy in monster prom is just eridan

drat it I've been bamboozled by the homestucks again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm glad you've learned a bit from the last game and made outlines thicker so you could tell foreground from bg more easily

that was the one problem I had with your last game, it was really unreadable at some points because of it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-8#post-5590121

Chris Avellone posted:

Eric did apologize for how he handled the situation, it is true (and more than once), and there’s mistakes everyone makes when being a Lead. I made worse mistakes than Eric for sure – and saying Eric made mistakes is not an insult. There is no “but” or “however” in this statement.

I only had an issue with the process, and Eric admitted he did as well – and he told me himself after my departure that the Project Director was the reason the process didn’t work as Eric intended (and would have been correct for a Creative Lead in my eyes). If that was incorrect, that’s fine, but that’s what he told me at the time.

I will say that I did the fixes as quickly and cleanly as possible, and I could have done them much faster had a gotten a critique direct from the source. Instead, there was meeting after meeting where I said the same thing and we had to discuss things that really, none of us needed to discuss (I was happy to make the cuts). My only issue was the process, and it's not personal.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that the process issue was larger than it appears – what work I put into PoE wasn’t gained back when I went back to Tyranny, so any decision made on PoE (for example, assistance that was promised in implementing the characters) that was then retracted, it cost more and more time overall. I’m not bitter about this because that simply was the norm. I did not have time to work on both projects, but that is a failure of upper management and scheduling/double-timing two projects. That said, the employees from Tyranny did work hard to make the work they did for Pillars shine. Don’t take this as I’m angry that Pillars took time from Tyranny, or that Tyranny was my personal project (it wasn’t, Brian Heins was the PD), it just was something that I knew the team would pay for and it wouldn’t be given back, which turned out to be the case because again, that was the norm.

I don’t know why Eric left Obsidian, nor do I mean to draw a connection between Josh’s review of the Eric’s performance and the storyline process, the amount of control he wanted in the process, and Eric’s departure. I still think it is good Eric left/went contracting. If the two weren’t related, that’s ideal.

I can't recall who said this in this thread, but for the record, I would resist anyone's attempts to downplay the work Eric did on South Park – he did quite a bit, and shouldn’t be dismissed, and it was Creative Lead work (it’s also one of the reasons I don’t equate Creative Lead = the person who wrote the story). Both Eric’s boss and I did fight to get him Lead credit on South Park, which he deserved, since he was doing the job. His duties on South Park were also part of the reason we recommended he not be Creative Lead on Eternity.

Sensuki said: ↑
Its strongly implied that he can't due to an NDA that he had to sign to get 'his share' back. I suppose that is one of the reasons why you get little tidbits here and there.
-----
I didn’t get anything when I left Obsidian. There were no share payouts, no equity, and this was in addition to the other logistical problems around the departure – the sudden cancellation of my health insurance, problems with my 401K, errors in Obsidian’s accounting, and several existing independent contracts they refused to uphold.

Realizing my family issues and the debts therein, however, they did make an attempt to leverage that into a far more confining separation agreement that would remove my right to work on RPGs, and my silence on all issues that could pertain to Obsidian or any other company they were involved with or the CEO had a % in (Fig, Zero Radius, Dark Rock Industries, etc.). This included an inability to critique games I’d worked on – much of my critiques on my own games tend to be blunt, and not being able to speak to them felt unnatural to me.

The company involvement silence worried me more, however, as it meant that if anything illegal happened with any of those companies (these could include serious charges like accounting issues, silence on harassment issues with regards to employees, perjury related to company documents and payments), I couldn’t speak about the issue, even if I felt strongly against what was being revealed.

While all this is good for Obsidian's upper management and is what is sometimes considered "good business," I did feel it showed a lack of ethics.

Still, that attempt at leverage did cause me to re-evaluate aspects of my life. Realizing debt was affecting my decision, I instead focused on working as hard as possible to make up for the amount Obsidian tried to use as leverage to force a signature – and succeeded.

When that happened, I realized I was free of the situation – completely free, for the first time. Feargus and the owners had no hold on my voice, my time, and my creativity any longer. And it was great.

When they made me an offer to contract me to write for Tyranny (which might seem to be an olive branch, but it turned out to be something they needed for contractual reasons with Paradox, but no one had ever communicated it to me), these were the reasons I refused – I didn’t wish to be part of Obsidian’s upper level development process and their pipelines any longer, as these processes were coming from a bad place, and it showed.

Also, realizing there was no restitution for the issues mentioned, I made a promise to myself that nothing I would do would ever cause Feargus and the owners any further financial gain. If my silence was that important to them, then there's no need to be silent because that right hadn't been signed away. Simply put, I like the developers at Obsidian very much, I work and correspond with many of those who are there or have left, and I would work with the developers again. I do feel upper management at Obsidian has serious flaws that need to be addressed, and I stand by that statement.
:staredog:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

This is the actual in-game model being referenced.

I'm glad they brought back the tank top, lol

I think it might be the color choices on the top + pants that are throwing people off, plus the bottom of the pants being baggy

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Trackmania is good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

NEW ISAAC OPINIONS:

New enemies are bad, I hate them
New Boss is maybe the worst thing ever
Stop giving these enemies so much loving HP!!!!

all of that can be forgiven, however, because the new character is a loving blast to play.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Tbf the original Smash Bros only had Samus, though possibly Pikachu and Jigglypuff

Now we have 30 fire emblem reps :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Nintendo officially discontinuing 'virtual console' is basically shouting from the rooftop "steal our poo poo" but w/e, do what you do nintendo

rather than that I want to talk about this loving super cool looking game coming out this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tEgeZrOOHM

having just beaten prey i am up for more '-shock' games

bioсука

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-virtual-console-isnt-happening/1100-6458803/

Nintendoooooooooo

quote:

Nintendo has confirmed that Virtual Console will not return on Switch. In a statement to GameSpot, the company said, "There are currently no plans to bring classic games together under the Virtual Console banner as has been done on other Nintendo systems."

In lieu of the Virtual Console, Nintendo will offer a program called "NES - Nintendo Switch Online." As one of the benefits for subscribing to Switch's upcoming paid online service, players will have access to a library of classic NES games, all of which will feature enhancements such as online play. At launch, the service will feature 20 games, including classics like Super Mario Bros. 3 and The Legend of Zelda. Nintendo says that additional titles will be added to the library regularly.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

TITLE DETAILS:
■Product name: NEOGEO mini
■Number of titles: 40 titles
■Display size: 3.5 inches
■Size and weight: W135mm x D108mm x H162mm /600g
■Accessory: Power supply cable (AC adaptor will not be included)
■Connection terminals: HDMI terminal (Input for TV monitor), headphone terminal, 2 external controller terminals

This thing needed to at least be a foot / foot and a half tall to be at all worth it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

*Rami Ismail voice* yeah but have you considered that these companies literally couldn't survive without lootboxes and you're killing the industry

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Yeah I'm hoping we start getting a general reacceptance of PS2 era graphical fidelity so games can be fun again.

As a Mega Man Legends fan I agree

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I think if you drop a bomb there you might be able to get her out without setting off the tnt, but it depends on the debris from the explosion.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe3Sr4JmMXw

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Every day I curse Capcom for killing so many good series

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

lol just lol if you're under CONAN EXILES length

Conan Exiles Presents: Big Dick Gamers gangtag coming soon

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

New Kingdom Hearts thing looks really good.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

India is ripe for strategy / empire games so I'm glad they're finally going there.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finished Virginia! It was bad.

The devs really wanted to make a movie and not a game, and it's really, really obvious in how it presents itself and the lack of agency you're provided. In addition, the ending starting with you dropping acid and then cycling through about four or five different endings and scenarios before rolling credits. I checked out what he said in an interview and it was a lot of "Burroughs was vague but had some interpretations he liked" which is film 101 for "i have no idea what i'm doing or how to end this so i'm just going to be vague." I liked the artstyle, at least. 2/10?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Yes those are official. These are also official.

I don't think the Krussy meme is appropriate for SpongeBob's target demo but what do I know

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thread stop being weird about elf titties

glam rock hamhock posted:

I know Detroit looks bad and stupid but can we not unspoilered talk about the end of the game in case people in the thread actually want to play it?

Does that person exist?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm to understand it's like rain on your wedding day.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm trying to draw but its so goddamn humid and I'm sweating which makes my hand stick to my tablet. Its disgusting.

Global warming is going to kill me.

Meat Luigi

Real hurthling! posted:

Move to somewhere in the jet stream cause they gonna get much colder real fast if that changes

Or the upper east coast, where you get to enjoy horrific summers and below freezing winters, the best of both worlds

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Bethesda: ha ha he ho look at our cute teaser stream this'll get some news

Nintendo: Get the gently caress out of my way idiot. Pokemon bitch.

Bethesda: :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

So it's a fallout game set in WV? That's kinda neat.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

That feeling when a band you like hasn't released their new album but insists they're still working on it

I know that feeling

Studio Killers put up a release date for their next single finally though. Hopefully the album you're waiting for is released soon too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PaJ_ajymXs

Good, thank god

It's kind of lame that the next album they're set to do is an EP and not a full album like the last one but i'll still buy it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Play Breath of Fire 3 or 4, imo.

Like not even necessarily directed at the poster looking for RPGs, just play them.

I wish Capcom would update the ports and put them on PS4 / PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Capcom fucks up everything tho

Oh don't worry I am well aware of how Capcom fucks everything up and kills good franchises.

• Locked thread