Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

My favorite battlemech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Crash is Activision so they'll do whatever the hell with it. Spyro will probably also be on PC since it's coming to Xbone as well.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wanted Magical Vacation but instead I got Golden Sun.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can't stress the excitement of seeing the first GBA screenshots because it was around the time when excitement over 3D calmed down and people were frothing at the idea of a "portable SNES."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

b_d posted:

main thing I remember about golden sun was the characters popping up a little sweat drop emote that took 5 seconds after every line of dialog. and there were cool transparent effects

I always bounced in place when the characters talked. It’s the prettiest boring game on the gba

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wake me up when the weird adventure Phantom Menace is released.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The person working for minimum wage at Gamestop cares more about you buying the magazine so their hours don't get cut to the bone. You don't have to be embarrassed buying Dragon's Crown in a store lined with Funko Pop and crusty Amiibos.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

I buy physical games it's just physical stores I don't do.

Crawling across the floor, dehydrated and bladder ruptured, the Amazon warehouse packer gazes at the sorceress' watermelon boobs and whispers through parched lips "loving perv."

Sakurazuka posted:

The last episode is kind of meh and pointless but otherwise yeah.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Frank West is one of my favorite average guy character designs. He’s fit but hairy and stocky with a bit of a gut. He’s built like 90s Bruce Campbell.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Are there any games where you play a fat person (not counting games with character creators)

I can only think of Borderlands and Wario. I guess Doomguy has a fat face

Mystical Ninja.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

sharrrk posted:

bob is awesome

Ryuji let himself go after Persona 5.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

persona 2 had miyabi hanakouji, who's end to her subplot was the guy she likes freaking out because she hurt herself to make herself look more appealing for him and he just wanted her to be happy

and then uh, several years later persona 4 had a selfish ugly fat comic relief girl

On the other hand I think translators take comic relief characters as a personal challenge to give them the best dialog because I refuse to believe Margarita is half as interesting in the Japanese version.

Jay Rust posted:

So we’ve proven that male characters are allowed to be chubby and still be sympathetic, what about female characters?

We need female characters first.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Hard to tell because she's a cat person but I think Mae Borowski is supposed to be kinda chunky.

“Sturdy” I believe her grandfather calls her.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Has any company given a good explanation for why you can’t turn the controller lights off?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wawa is the best gas station food place.

Wawa rulez ok

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

ps4 controller doesn't have any other leds on it to tell you if the controller is turned on or which player its assigned to so you kinda need it unfortunately. if the ps5 controller continues to have a big glowing light on it, I hope they at least also bring back the player leds from the ds3

But not offering the option to turn it off in the 99% of the time you’re not playing multiplayer or currently using it just feels arrogant.

E: *presses share button > controller light > turn this poo poo off*

Hire me Sony!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Have you turned the brightness down, at least?

Oh it doesn’t bother me I just like to complain about issues that could be fixed with minimal effort.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

raditts posted:

convenience store food chat: my wife and I used to get hotdogs at 7-Eleven like every day when we were poor because they were like 3 for a dollar at the one where we lived at the time, we'd pile on all the toppings and get a big bag of chips. After we moved away from there I don't think we ate hotdogs again for like 5 years.

Same. Also I'd load up the nachos and get a couple $1 half tea cans.

In hindsight, I wouldn't have been a poor college kid if I just went to the grocery store where a family pack of hotdogs and a gallon sugar water would be $8 max.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They called the sixth Rocky film Rocky Balboa.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Record yourself, preferably nude and in front of an audience of gunpla, and intersperse the audio logs through the presentation while you stand there with a laser pointer and nod your head.

Shinjobi posted:

Been playing through the old ps2 GTAs. It's weird...as a kid I think I really enjoyed going back to Vice City more than the other two, but as a grown old man I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe the music? In any case, I think I had some serious ADD with these games because I feel like I'm absolutely flying through the missions. How hard could 100% be?

The PS2 trilogy are tinged with DMA's European hard bullshit. A lot of the extra curricular stuff requires perfect precision and it made the driving school stuff in San Andreas a nightmare. But even in Vice City there's one racing mission where the driver outright cheats and the only way to win is boxing him into a wall and hoping he doesn't turn around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

glam rock hamhock posted:

By the way, I specifically angled my GoW plat screenshot so to avoid what would be a pretty obvious spoiler if that shot was taken from a different angle

Having not played it, I'm guessing BOY turns into a dragon or dark elf.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It’s tyool 2018 and people still don’t take Guybrush’s advice from like 30 years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Send your money to me. I have a safe and a shotgun and invest in the safest asset of them all: Steam Cards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

i don’t remember any human enemies taking more than one headshot unless you’re talking multiplayer. Infected always go down in one arrow to the head.

Of course the best way to play is to throw poo poo in people’s faces and bash their heads in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Why else would it be 60% off

Although I really like the aesthetic of blocky 3D character figure. If they did a line of Mega Man Legends I would buy it immediately.

Speaking of insanely specific figures, Mega Man Volnutt "bad" armor where it's colored dark blue.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

If you ranked hobbies based on how poorly people spend their money video games are probably like top 5

I don't think so. Maybe bottom 10 but video games (especially in the West) are seen as largely disposable. The people who dump a ton of money into microtransaction games are playing those games almost exclusively.

My dad probably put my entire college fund into Lionel trains and I've seen people get evicted with their mountain of Warhammer figures.

As long as you follow Guybrush's advice on buying video games it's probably the cheapest hobby.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There was another big MMO failure that came out around Hellgate, Pax Romana or something? Everyone thought they could do paid subscriptions at the height of WoW's popularity and it killed a lot of prestige projects.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel like I'm cheating in The Evil Within 2 doing the shooting challenges with a mouse. I have no idea how you're supposed to do the hardest one without memorizing the exact locations but I'm loaded up with 20,000 goo and a million weapon parts without trying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I told myself if I ever want a kid I'm just going to foster. Skip the terrible baby phase and you help someone who could really use a stable home.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ooh boy, Little Nightmares is an argument for how good Playdead actually is at creating cinematic platforms because 30 minutes in and this suuuucks. It's pretty and creepy but the 3D environment coupled with physics based puzzles creates these depth perception issues. It's almost like I'm playing a British isometric Amiga game. And the checkpoint system is horrendous. Inside and Limbo at least don't waste your time when you die.

fake edit: Wow, this is by the same company that did City of Metronome. That and Rainy Woods were the big internet talking points about canceled games in the mid aughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-4KmBjE3oY

You can definitely see the DNA in Little Nightmares.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

I enjoyed it quite a lot, but I do recall the opening being the least good part. :shrug:

Just finished the lair of Spindly Armed Johnny and it was much more exciting than the first area but the game still suffers from wonky platforming and instant death gotchas. It's one of those games with a dedicated grab button, kinda like the original Tomb Raider, but modern platform design of the past decade or so has taught us to pull up from a grab you can press the dedicated jump button. Not so here, you can't shimmy and climbing up has a delay to it. If you jump while hanging off an obstacle you'll just jump off the obstacle. And sometimes you can't tell if you can actually grab onto something, like there's a chair or low horizontal obstacle you think you can climb on but nope, the character won't actually climb it.

And yeah, just bad gotchas like turning a corner and plummeting off a cliff because the camera was too slow or this bridge starts to retract and if you don't sprint RIGHT THIS SECOND you're just dead. Oddly enough the checkpoints are getting more generous which makes me think the first area was some kind of prototype that got left in the game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

"You liked Mass Effect? If you want a good story, just read a book."

okay

Rendezvous with Rama posted:

“Some women, Commander Norton had decided long ago, should not be allowed aboard ship; weightlessness did things to their breasts that were too drat distracting. It was bad enough when they were motionless; but when they started to move, and sympathetic vibrations set in, it was more than any warm-blooded male should be asked to take. He was quite sure that at least one serious space accident had been caused by acute crew distraction, after the transit of a well-upholstered lady officer through the control cabin.”

this is good lit

al-azad
May 28, 2009

tbf Clarke was in the closet all his life so depictions of straight men were like "this guy over here loves rear end and titties just like me, the author, who likes rear end and titties. And over here are two men in a polyamorous relationship but did I mention rear end and titties?"

al-azad
May 28, 2009

oddium posted:

where can i find the .isos for these books

plasticroms dot com

delete after 24 hours.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

i never thought about this but micro/zero grav "jiggle physics" (and not just women's boobmeat) must be insanely distracting IRL

like now that I think about it that would be the number one thing to drive me insane if I ever had to deal

That's why everyone wears loose fitting coveralls. It looks slimming and keeps the rolls in check.

e: I wish coveralls were just the normal thing to wear. An adult onesie.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's worth noting that this isn't exclusive to video games. When we talk about "games journalism" I think people latch on to the "journalism" part and apply the same standards that they'd apply to news reporting and investigative journalism. But games journalism is entertainment journalism--it's the same as the various fluff pieces you'd see in Entertainment Weekly, People, or that kind of magazine.

That doesn't mean it's good, but it's worth noting what it's trying to be.

I think what we really mean is that these entertainment journalists are poor critics, which is extremely true.

Opinion pieces aren't meant to be critiques either, it's someone describing their personal experience. It's fluff regardless of the medium.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Most movie critics also suck but nobody is sending them death threats about it

I may have sent a headless chicken to Armond White over Get Out.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I feel bad for Galactic Nova. It's like killing Shenron in Dragon Ball, he just grants wishes man.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Looper posted:

If i wished to rule a planet and got turned into a horrific monster I'd be pretty pissed

But it’s poetry. You become what your heart desires.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Looper posted:

Nova is later revealed to have been built by the same people who built the final boss of Robobot, which is a machine that developed sentience and decided existence needed to be destroyed so Kirb made the right call imo

No evil creation has an anime cat mouth :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

if hentai means one less real human is abused then it’s tolerable.

• Locked thread