Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Mayday

Mayday

This is the Queen Zenobia

Emergency call number

Maaaaaaay

Daaaaaaaaaaaaay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm turning 27 on the 27th. Bleh :smith:

Anyone else got a bday this month? Any plans or anything? I'm probably just gonna chill at home, if nothing bad happens then it'll be a good bday. I'll hopefully be getting on disability sometime within the next couple of months too so if that happens that'll be nice.

KCB's bday is on the 14th of June though, so I should probably start thinking up something to get her. I dunno what though. If I get on the disability before her bday comes around, I can at least get her something out of my own pocket, but idk if there are any steam games she wants at the moment that I can use my trading card money for.

What's everyone else up to?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

I said it in the RPG thread and I'll say it again here

the ojousama ohoho laugh is one of the most annoying sounds humans are capable of producing

I greatly appreciate that the great fairy weapon in hyrule warriors has that exact kind of laugh and pose.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I wanna see that with the silly lock-on stuff for the genesis and its games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Happy birthday QFG2! :)

glam rock hamhock posted:

I was watching some videos on Bloodborne lore and is there any other game series where the placement of pickups is often used to tell the story?

Planescape Torment maybe

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

I skipped straight to this page, but I knew exactly what game you were talking about here because :same:

I liked the first part, although there was no indication beforehand that it would end on a cliffhanger, and it got me excited for the sequel, but boy was the second half a Dragon Warrior 2 level of bad

What's wrong with Dragon Warrior 2?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Plus isn't dragon's crown supposed to be good regardless of whether you like t&a or not

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Buy

ing

games in a

phys
i
cal

store

(PHYSICAL)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Dr Cheeto posted:

How else do you expect me to fill a bathtub with copies of Devil's Third

Laxatives?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

what do they call steam sales in europe

A sale with cheese

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I know we probably won't get it again but I kinda miss the days of the varied and non-standard physical pc game boxes where they'd do all kinds of weird poo poo and they'd have lots of space to put cool poo poo by having the front cover that would open up and stuff.

If I was rich I'd pick up that myst kickstarter $170 tier because I am exactly the kind of jackass who would love to have a fake myst book that plays a video on a screen when you open the book up but I just cannot justify that price in any way, shape, or form. Hell, I can't justify the $100 tier either and that's just the book sans animated screen but with physical copies of the games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Only 90s kids remember this!!!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's salad...on the go

It's salad two point ohhhhhhh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Play an RP track. Because for some reason trackmania RP tracks are a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrEW3YXts4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

I've not been able to play video games since Sunday :(

Try tabletop games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bayonetta you mystery

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

oddium posted:

i watched the speed racer movie for the first time and it's insanely good. i can't believe how much it whips

It is such a good movie and it is hard to believe that there are people out there who don't like it. Like, goddamn, what a good film.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Wawa is the best gas station food place.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

raditts posted:

lol Sheetz is not at all better than Wawa.

Get a load of this guy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/nvQC8Ie.mp4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qczr6Z2qtpE

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This Fat Cat At Large book is already starting off great. The main protag walks into a vet clinic with her cat and she starts describing how hot the vet is and then the vet is all "hey your cat is fat and he's unhealthy, you need to put him on a diet" and she immediately switches gears to "well I guess he's not that hot"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Well poo poo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm only a few pages into Fat Cat At Large but so far it is entertaining.

The titular cat managed to break into a sealed container that was filled with pineapple coconut dessert bars and now he is fatter.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

is there a warning about feeding your cat desserts in the book

It contains recipes for making desserts for both you and your cat, though I have not checked to see if the desserts have been split into "desserts for humans" and "desserts for cats" or if it means that the desserts are safe for both

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

A man with a blue afro just did disco with a cat dance troupe :psypop:

Jimmy Thang is a treasure and I wish we had him in a smash game (though I suspect if any warioware character got into smash, it'd be Ashley because iirc she's the most popular warioware character)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

This book seems to be very irresponsible

I looked and this book contains exactly 2 recipes. One is for humans and one is for cats. I'm 8 or so chapters in and one of the plot beats is that the main character's business partner Anna keeps feeding Quincy the Fat Cat/Butterscotch Tabby cookie bars behind the protagonist Chase's back. As a result, Quincy has gained weight and, if this doesn't stop, he will become diabetic because Anna keeps feeding Quincy and is all "oh but he's starving, he's just big boned."

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
e: whoops double post

e: ....triple post? ok I dunno how I managed to do that, whatever.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Rarity posted:

HE'S GOT A BROTHER WITH A YELLOW AFRO WHO BOOGIES WITH DOGS BEST GAME OF 2007 LOCKED IN

That's not his brother

That's just a random dude who happens to look the same :v:

He does have a brother tho, and a sister and mom and dad who all love disco

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Do any quick and easy board games come out these days? Feels like it's either a new variation of Cluedo or Monopoly vs a 5 hour session where you need to take notes and need 8 people

What do you consider a quick and easy board game? There are plenty of board games that come out that are short but I also consider short to be 30 to 60 minutes. I mean, there are good ones that last maybe 15 minutes as well, but yeah there are totes new games that, once you know the rules, will take maybe 30 to 60 minutes.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite thing from the neversoft spider-man games was the ability to customize powers to costumes so that I could be an invincible version of The Amazing Bag-Man.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

codenameFANGIO posted:

that’s only in the second one, which is not very good and was made by Vicarious Visions

I didn't know neversoft didn't make the sequel.

It must've been a good game because it had that feature in it though :colbert:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Yeah I'd say 30 minutes - 1 hour is reasonably quick.

Games of varying time from 30 to 60 minutes:

Neuroshima Hex 3.0: a 1vs1 game where each player picks a faction and you draw and place tiles from your hand. This game has a gimmick where the combat all happens at once. There isn't a combat phase or anything like that, the players just take turns placing tiles until a player either fills up the board or a player plays a combat tile, in which case you check the initiative value of each tile and go in order from there, with all 4s going first, then all 3s, 2s, 1s, and 0s. Unless otherwise noted, units have 1 HP. The goal is to outlast the enemy HQ (the HQ is a unit on the board that has 20 HP) and so you're generally setting up rube goldberg chain reactions of fire in an attempt to outmaneuver the enemy while keeping your HQ safe. It has plenty of expansions as well, with the expansions adding new factions to the game. It can also be played with more than 2 players, but it works best imo at 1vs1. It also has an optional single player "puzzle" thing where you look at cards that give you board setups and ask you to take out the enemies using whatever tiles they give you but I've never looked into that because it was always just a side thing.

Pixel Tactics: this is another 1vs1 game, it mimics a strategy rpg. Both players are given a deck containing the same cards and each player draws some cards and picks a commander from their hand, with each commander having a different attack value, hp value, and special skill. You lose when your commander is dead. You have 3 rows, the front, middle, and back row. Each character has a different ability based on whether they are the commander, in the front row, in the middle row, or in the back row. There are some other cards in one of the expansions that adds on an additional back row, and there are also special abilities in all versions iirc where you can just discard a character entirely to perform that special action. There are a bunch of unique decks of this game available and you can generally find them for relatively cheap. On top of that, they made 3 whole decks based off of mega man so you can play a version with all your favorite mega man characters, but only if they appeared in an 8-bit version. No Mega Man 7 or 8 stuff, sorry.

Dungeon Roll: okay this game isn't like super great or anything but it is super quick to explain and super quick to play. You have a treasure chest and you have white dice and you have black dice. You pick a character (each character having a passive ability, a unique skill they can only use once per dungeon dive, and the ability to level up if they gain enough experience which generally leads to them getting a better version of their unique skill), you roll the white dice, and the other player rolls the amount of black dice equal to the floor of the dungeon you are on. The black dice will roll either skeletons, goblins, slimes, chests, potions, or dragons. The white dice can roll scrolls, thieves, fighters, mages, clerics, or champions. Scrolls can be used to reroll any dice that get rolled on a floor. The rest of the white dice are color coordinated with their equivalent black dice monsters. So say you're on floor 3 and the other player rolls their 3 black dice and it turns up 2 skeletons and a slime and you have a cleric, a fighter, and a mage. Each character can take out 1 monster before going to the graveyard, but each character can also take out all of their equivalent enemies on that floor, so you could use a cleric and it would take out all of the skeletons, leaving you with a fighter or a mage to spend on fighting the slime. It is a push-your-luck game where the goal is to get as much exp and loot as possible by the end of the game. The game ends when everybody has gone through the dungeon 3 times and you get loot by opening treasure chests or defeating the dragon if he shows up (if 3 dragon dice accumulate during a run, then the dragon shows up and he requires 3 different white dice faces to defeat) so yeah this game isn't necessarily great but it works well for what it is, it's quick, the presentation is generally enough to get people to sit down for it, it's simple, and while it is completely random what the dice will roll, there is generally enough skill involved with what you do with your roll and if you're willing to take risks, there's a lot of fun to be had in that risk-taking thrill kinda way.

I spent the most time explaining the simplest game...

Anyway, last recommendation: One Deck Dungeon. This is a roguelike in card form. There are two versions, they're both stand-alone but you can combine them (or buy 2 copies of one of them) to get a 4-player version. The base game is 1-player or 2-player but I suggest 2-player. You pick from one of the playable women, each with their own skill and heroic feat, and you choose from one of the 5 bosses to encounter. The deck itself is the dungeon, with the players spending time to perform actions (1 time = 1 card taken from the deck and discarded). You don't want to waste too much time because at the bottom of the deck is the stairway to the next floor and if you wait around too long while the stairs are visible, you start taking damage. Each card is either a combat encounter or a trap encounter, with some skills only working for one or the other. When you get into an encounter, you use the stats on your character's card to determine how many dice you get to roll and the encounter card shows the value you have to get to avoid taking damage or time penalties. Regardless of whether you cover up every box on the encounter card, once it is cleared you will get to take the card and use it in one of 3 ways. The card has an EXP amount ranging from 1 to 4 in the top right and you can slide that under the current level card to increase your exp. If you get enough exp to level up, you take all of the cards under that level card and set them aside and grab the next level. Level ups give you nice benefits like getting an additional potion, letting you have a black dice for any encounter (blacks are wild, you can use them on anything, whereas the other color types can only be used with their equivalent colors which are strength/yellow, agility/pink, and magic/blue), and they also let you get more items and skills. At the bottom of encounter cards there will either be a potion or a skill. If you take that card as a potion, you add it to your list of identified potions and if you use a potion later on, you can choose from whatever list of potions you've identified. Each time you identify a potion, you gain an additional potion. If it is a skill at the bottom of the card, you can take it and slide it under your character's card in order to give them a new skill to use. The left side of the encounter card shows the item stats you would gain if you took that. Items give you additional magic, agility, strength, or health, and you can slide those under your character to increase the amount of dice they would be able to roll. There is also a notepad that offers the option of carrying your character over from game to game, with each death or success giving you points to put towards unlocking new buffs to help with the dungeon diving. I highly highly recommend this. It's pretty cheap as well, iirc it's 16 or 17 bucks usd.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if they'll call the sequel God of War 2

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Cliffyb is a successful goon game dev

I never played gears of war, I remember hearing a long while back that in one of the games there was some easter egg thing where you can knock something off of an area in one level and find it again later in another level or something like that because you were below where you were to begin with. I think that was gears of war... Anybody know what I'm talking about?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ah ok, that most definitely is what I was thinking of then. Thanks!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Anybody here fans of giallo? What is your favorite game that you could describe as giallo?

Giallo is basically a sorta weird exploitation horror style of film and giallo games definitely exist (clock tower for snes and any other horror game by that dude counts) but they tend to...idk, it's weird. I was reading a conversation in the CineD horror thread about giallo and people described it as almost being like a stoner horror film. What would you say your favorite giallo game is, or at least name a game that you think can be described as giallo.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Idk, I never played it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd consider illbleed to be pretty giallo-esque.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinkin about those mean beans

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I actually like this fat cat at large a fat cat mystery book and I feel dumb because I know this is like junk food fiction but I'm gonna keep reading it because I gotta know who has been stealing cash from the bake shop's till and why the protagonist left her old city to avoid a dude who has just now shown up in this new city and seems to be spying on her and how is she going to confront the co-owner of the shop about the fact that she keeps going against the protagonist's wishes by feeding cookie bars to her fat cat which results in the fat cat not wanting to eat his diet food and take one more step closer to diabetes

and also the whole thing with her trying to clear her name from the suspect list. That part's important too. I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with reading junk food fiction as long as you recognize it as such and aren't afraid to get your feet wet in works that are more...

idk, can't really think of a way to phrase it without it coming off all hipstery and poo poo. My buddy smoking crow made a thread in the book barn several years ago that was basically just him yelling at people to go read real books and stop reading genre fiction, but I'm conflicted. Idk. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I enjoy this book even though my expectations for it were quite low and that, if I had to list any particular criticism of it, I'd say that the pacing is very strange because a chapter can focus on an entire day and then have maybe 2 sentences describing night and the next morning before continuing with its previous pace.

• Locked thread