Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I refuse to believe that's real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I haven't played either Destiny game but from what I understand it's a case where Bungie didn't learn anything from all the complaints people had in the first game and when 2 came they broke new things by trying to fix problems that weren't there and continued with the poo poo that made everyone hate the first game at launch.

Unrelated

Done and done (even though there's a handful of things I could still look for that aren't tied to trophies but meh I got other games to play)

Nice. How long did it take you to find all the lore markers and eyes, which I imagine were the last two trophies. They are for me, anyway, and even though I said I wouldn't I'm so close to getting that Platinum that I might dedicate an hour to it if it's not too tiresome.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I started and finished the recent indie release Crossing Souls this weekend. Took maybe 8 hours or so, but even so by the end I was just moving forward to get to the credits, not because it was very enjoyable. It's a somewhat disappointing mix of a great art style with amazing detail mixed with sloppy game design. The second boss of the game is the most complex and fun one in the bunch, and while the game's core gimmick of each character having special puzzle solving abilities gives it a nice Lost Vikings vibe, the girl character's ability is only used 4 times throughout the game. Puzzles get easier as the game goes on and I felt like there were a lot of things that the game could have said about tying the story in with the what was happening to the player, but it almost feels like those were two teams who didn't communicate much. Then there were strange bugs or programming oversights, as well as the heavy, heavy reliance on 80s pop culture instead of the devs own creativity. The ending really bothered me, too, and it's bothering me ever more now that I'm thinking harder about it.

One positive thing I'll say about it (aside from the pixel art, which is really quite good) is that the game makes some brave decisions. Things I don't think I've seen in other games, and while I think it could have been handled better, I think it's interesting that it was attempted at all.

I haven't seen anyone else mention the game on the forums but if anyone had been eyeballing it in the store, I would recommend it only at a decent 30-40% discount.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I played Fortnite for the first time last night. I don't think it's for me, but maybe it would be more fun with goons and a headset.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Say "Player Unknowns' Battlegrounds" everytime

e: eesh, whatta snipe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej0Z_vGq2mg

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 9, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I played some more Fortnite with goons and it was a lot more fun than playing with strangers. Very helpful and friendly.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi8Fo0a9tcA

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone make a Games Thread playlist
:toot: Games Thread Playlist :sax::banjo:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

The video game that taught me that murder is bad is Cannon Fodder, not this dang Undertale nonsense. Millennials these days need some furry animals to tell them things are bad cause they remind them of their stuff animals on their beds!

note: this poster would like to inform you she sleeps with several stuff animals, and this post is not meant to be taken seriously
I have a T.Rex!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYuq6Ac3a0

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Play Overcooked and yell when they don't remember the controls or completely chop up food or take a pot off the burner or wash dishes or look at the incoming orders or finish a mission with only one star or prevent your character from getting to the impossibly critical food thing you are trying to get to.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

If I played fighting games with a girl on a date and let her beat me occasionally because she wasn't very good at it would that make me a bad person? :ohdear:

Sounds like some pretty vanilla roleplay to me

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Would a new Gex replace all the movie references with stale memes and quotes from YouTube/Vine?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I thought that Crowbcat did a video on Metroid Other M but I guess it was someone else. It was a video with all the times a character said "baby" or "bottle" or "Adam" if anyone knows what I'm talking about.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Think of all the time, effort, and money (including the lingering server costs) that Radical Heights wasted when Cliffy B should have immediately downscaled his whole ops once LawBreakers hit its double-digit simultaneous player count.

It's also very funny to me that there must have been a board meeting where Boss Key's tanking financials must have been a key issue and the fix was to release a rough draft of a game and hope enough people get suckered into paying money for bare-bones cosmetics that you can keep the lights on.

Wikipedia posted:

After 20 years with the company, Cliff announced his departure from Epic Games on October 3, 2012, saying he had been making video games since he was a teen and wanted to take a break.[19][20] According to a 2015 interview, his original intention was to retire permanently. "It was a combination of gamers feeling jaded, as well as working with some very talented people who were also very jaded," Bleszinski told Destructoid. "I could pitch the most amazing idea to anybody back when I was at Epic toward the end, and they'd be like 'I don't buy it,'" he further added.[21]
"The most amazing idea" being whatever's hot on the market but with the serial numbers filed off.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://twitter.com/LaboBuilders/status/996684761245642758

chumbler posted:

No I'm talking about Cold Steel, the youtube channel of uncles chopping up watermelons and hams with viking axes and katanas, not the less anime Cold Steel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdfx7l4z5cQ

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Colonel posted:

spotted a game called omega boost in my ps1 folder i forgot i downloaded and it ended up looking surprisingly awesome for a ps1 game and also has really great controls

so of course i looked it up and the dev makes gran turismo lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFvhaqT7Sc

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 17, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

edit isn't quote, but I'll just chime in to say that since I beat the story mode in Splatoon2 I've been playing the opening stages of Mario + Rabbids and I think it's fun so far.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I had a large spindle of burnt Dreamcast games and I feel like I dabbled in a large percentage of the library, at least what was localized. Lots of weird titles and they're easily accessible if you can find a Dreamcast somewhere. One thing I liked was that since there were a lot of smaller arcade titles, the groups who would release the patched ROMs would put multiple titles on one disk.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89H0eeRKqu4

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

How was Jade Cocoon as a monster gatherer. I only played the demo but it intrigued me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I played a lot of Switch over the weekend. A bit of Splatoon but really a whole bunch of Mario + Rabbids. I thought that I would be turned off by the cover system (always 100% chance to be hit if you are exposed) but it's become a real great benefit when combined with all the movement abilities the characters have. Each battle feels like a puzzle of positioning, with some of the challenge stages being almost entirely dependent on baiting enemies into the right spot.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

I liked it up until i ran out of new powers to unlock.

I'm afraid that's what's going to happen to me. Hopefully the drip-feed of new characters will be enough.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpUHtDBZWyQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bW75OwVXZI

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

My idea of savings is putting off a games purchase for two weeks. I'm fiscally responsible :downs:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

DLC Inc posted:

I owned every Nintendo system except Gamecube, but now I have a Gamecube with some games so I figured I'd play catchup. Right now I'm playing through Thousand Year Door, which is also my first paper Mario ever--I heard this one is the best one? Anyway I also have XMen Legends 2, Baiten Katos, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Caliber 2, and Bloody Roar--is there anything else worth playing that I can't play elsewhere?

Gotcha Force

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

You cannot charge or be charged for blood in the US. A hospital can charge you for the supplies and labor involved in performing a transfusion, but the blood itself was freely given and is freely distributed. On one hand, that means you can only make money by giving up plasma, which might be a morally inferior option (if you have a rare blood type), but on the other it means no one who needs blood to survive an accident or an operation will be denied it for lack of funds. It's kind of neat.

FAK, it's clear that KCB loves you for you without regard for how poorly you see yourself. Just take her for a hike or something, maybe make a brownie in a cup if you have some baking ingredients in the cupboard. Write her a little poem. Rub her feet, play her favorite music, and don't say "I"m sorry I couldn't do [x] because I'm [y]." It'll be fine, and you're okay the way you are.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Was caves of qud also a goongame?

Yes. The dev frequently (of did, idk now) posts in the Cave of Qud thread in these forums. It's a game with, among many other things, very entertaining change logs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiXfl0EIvxw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl363Wh4ghU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Sexy spider ladies are so common in video games that it can't be by accident.

Designers are drawn to highlight the inherent sex appeal of the arachnid. Who can truly say they've never looked at a spider and felt a little twinge in their nethers, perhaps while admiring their long legs, or come-hither eyes, or functional and fashionable spinnerets. The only improvement that could be made over God's eight-legged sexpot is a pair of massive breasts, an upgrade humanity has only been able to provide in the realm of fiction ... for now.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Pressure-sensitive face buttons were a mistake

I guess you could call an ear a face button.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

On the other hand, Detroit:BC is a white guy ripping off a line from the world’s most well-known black social justice leader (MLK) with no mention of him and there is no reference or acknowledgement of black slavery besides one throwaway line from a Harriet Tubman knockoff.

Press X to graffiti “I HAVE A DREAM,” but robots

Maybe you can ask one of your college friends to describe what an allusion is for you.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

After some semi-comprehensive research I feel confident stating that Metal Slug X is the height of the series. Metal Slug 3 is a close second but loses a lot of points for having a final mission that is longer than the rest of the game combined. Then the design for the stages falls off significantly, and the alternate routes get severely pared down.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

June Games Chat: Summer A/C Appreciation Station

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xzf_Ey5th8

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Another June Remaster, Hooray Yearly Franchises

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean I do have insurance but I still have to submit the copay which from what I understand is a thing that exists in other countries anyways.

I just make a total of ~zero~ dollars so I feel bad asking my parents for money for anything.

Spending a little copay now could prevent lots of copays in the future. Making sure a child is healthy is one of the best ways for a parent to spend their money.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

haveblue posted:

They named the fifth Fallout the Fallout 76

If you count Fallout Tactics or Fallout Shelter it's either the 6th or 7th game.
:goonsay:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Andrast posted:

You forgot New Vegas
poo poo, yeah I did

Jay Rust posted:

You forgot Brotherhood of Steel
I did not realize there was a Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel and a Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.

So, including Shelter, they named the eighth Fallout game Fallout 76?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I had my best game of Enter the Gungeon just now and I died on the final phase of the Dragun. In the whole Forge I barely found any health and went into battle with three hits and a ton of guns, but my active item wasn't very helpful and I lost my cool during his bullet storm. I'm really kicking myself because I had the Betrayer's Shield but I wasn't very familiar with it, and once I realized what I should have been doing I couldn't navigate through all my weapons to find it in time.

Just needed a minute to decompress before heading back in, although I still don't know what I'm going to do if I run out of blanks and don't have a shield item or that gun. The controls are too finicky for precise bullet weaving (or maybe I just need to get more practice)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Think of all the ways it could go wrong. You could get dry mouth, your voice could crack, your slideshow could bug out, you might get heckled, you could space out and repeat yourself, you could lose the audiences interest. Really, there's hundreds of ways to gently caress this up.

You'll probably do fine though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uKIeamPi2Y

• Locked thread