Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
DARK SOULS: REMASTERED HAS BEEN RELEASED WORLDWIDE! SCROLL DOWN A LITTLE TO SEE WHERE YOU CAN BUY IT AND FOR HOW MUCH, AND WHERE TO GET THE ORIGINAL GAME IF YOU'RE STILL IN THE MARKET FOR IT!

THERE'S A FROM SOFTWARE GOON DISCORD THAT YOU CAN JOIN HERE IF YOU WANT TO CHAT WITH YOUR FELLOW USERS ABOUT SOULS GAMES OUTSIDE THE THREAD. ORGANIZE CO-OP, PVP, TALK ABOUT HOW THE GIANT DAD BUILD IS STILL OVERPOWERED, WHATEVER YOU LIKE.

Don't play that game, you know what Dark Souls is. But in case you haven't read an unrelated videogame review and seen it compared to this game yet, here's the legal letter anyway: Dark Souls is the spiritual sequel to Demon's Souls, From Software's critically acclaimed and infamously difficult Action RPG. Published by Namco Bandai, Dark Souls maintains the visual, audio and gameplay style of Demon's Souls with an entirely new story and setting. It was released for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on September 2011, and came to PC a year later.

Dark Souls tells the story of you(!), a lowly undead hollow, a husk who has lost his or her humanity and is left to rot in a prison cell until the end of days, forever undying. The Undead Curse prevents you or any hollow from permanently expiring, and so you sit in your lowly forgotten corner of the world- until one day you are freed by a mysterious knight who foretells a prophecy. If you break out of the Undead Asylum you've been left in and flee to Lordran, the land of ancient lords, you may discover your destiny and perhaps even find a way to break the curse. And so off you go, unknowing of the sheer challenge that awaits you around every single corner from then on.

The game received critical acclaim upon its release and is considered to be one of the best video games ever made, with critics praising the depth of its combat, intricate level design, and world lore. However, the game's difficulty received mixed reviews. While some praised the challenge it provides, others criticized it for being unnecessarily unforgiving. The PC version of the game was less well-received, with criticism directed at numerous technical issues. By April 2013, the game had sold over two million copies worldwide and it still sells hundreds of thousands a year. A remastered version with several substantial upgrades will be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Nintendo Switch in 2018, and that's why we're all still here today.

In late 2017, rumors of a Dark Souls 1 remaster came to light as more than just speculation when the game's title was accidentally leaked in a couple random places in quick succession. Sure enough, only a few weeks into 2018 it was formally revealed, and since then numerous lists of changes have been released via PR and compiled around the web. The original Dark Souls is a fantastic game to play, and the changes made by the remaster are slim, unobtrusive, and mostly focused on quality of life. Here they are, spoilers and all!

Graphical stuff:
  • Improvements have been made to culling and level streaming for less hitches when entering new areas
  • PC players now have control over a lot more graphical settings
  • Motion blur has been redone to be object-based instead of screen-based for a much smoother and less jarring appearance
  • COMPLETELY brand new particle effects system
  • Added brand new bloom and HDR effects
  • New revamped textures to replace older, much more inferior ones
  • Grass and other foliage sways in the wind!

Gameplay stuff:
  • Items will not automatically be registered into an item slot when picked up.
  • Players can select the number of usable items, such as consumable souls or covenant items, to use instead of one at a time as in the original game.
  • When the up or down directional pad button is held down, the first item equipped will be selected.
  • Covenants can be switched at Bonfires.
  • The online network has been changed from P2P to dedicated servers.
  • Password Matchmaking is now available, similar to Dark Souls 3. When a player is summoned in Password Matchmaking the player level will be synced.
  • In online play, players who are outside of the host’s parameter range will not be matched with each other (the players can still be matched via Password Matching).
  • Healing items will not be available during PvP with the exception of Estus Flasks. To prevent long and drawn out battles, the number of Estus Flasks is halved for phantoms.
  • Players can no longer summon ally phantoms consecutively when in combat with enemy phantoms.
  • When a co-op player’s character level and weapon is higher than that of the host player, the level will be adjusted accordingly.
  • The Dried Finger has been moved from the Painted World of Ariamis level to the Undead Burg merchant to be obtainable earlier in the game. The Dried Finger location in the Painted World has been replaced with a Twin Humanities item.
  • When a player defeats an invading phantom, their Estus Flask is restored.
  • Players can turn on/off global matchmaking
  • The maximum number of players in one game world has increased from 4 to 6.
  • The control stick deadzone has been tightened up, resulting in much less sluggish controls
  • You can rebind every single control to any other button on your gamepad individually
  • The number of languages has been increased to the number found in Dark Souls 3.
  • A Bonfire has been added next to Vamos the Blacksmith.
  • 3v3 and 6-player deathmatch have been added to the DLC Arena.
  • Arena battles can also use Password Matching.
  • Arena respawn points will be random.

But it's not just these small changes, nice though they are. Dark Souls Remastered also features an overhauled lighting and particle system, which arguably looks better or worse depending on who you ask, as well as new texture filters and bumpmapping to enhance the graphics without actually changing much. Best of all, though, it runs at a silky smooth 60 frames per second on all platforms save the Switch, where it is locked at 30 in both modes so it can be played in portable mode without draining the battery. No more need for modding your game with fanmade hacks! Here is some footage of it to show you how smooth it looks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJpzu5WG-0k

Additionally, :siren: there is now weapon tier matchmaking :siren: but it's not nearly as bad as you probably think. See the linked page for intricate details, but the gist of it is that you can matchmake up or down 5 (under +3) or 6 (anything above that) levels from your highest ever upgraded standard weapon. If you've picked up any unique weapons/hand items, you are immediately jumped to level 5. Certain mimic item drops will jump you to level 10, but by that point you will likely have a +10 weapon of your own already.

Because it's one of the best video games ever made! It revolutionized the action RPG genre and has introduced a new wave of increased adversity and difficulty that videogames genuinely needed back when it came out in 2011 or so! It is a project by people who clearly care about the product they are making and it shows in every nook and cranny. If this superfan's raving isn't enough to convince you, however, maybe more detail on why I and tens of thousands of people feel that way will help.

Dark Souls is worth playing because it is a marvel in care and attention to detail not just in world design, but in gameplay. Everything you can do, find, and observe in Dark Souls serves a purpose. Every enemy, every item, every loop back to the closest bonfire was specifically thought about and placed there to teach you something about how to play or tackle the next challenge. It has a very smooth learning curve that starts you off on even ground with your enemies and escalates from there to make it accessible to anyone who is willing to slow down, pay attention, get immersed, and try their hardest. If that sounds like you, then Dark Souls is waiting for you to give it a shot!

Thanks to the remaster, you have two choices here! This spot in the OP is only temporary and these two lists will swap positions when the remaster releases!

YOU CAN PURCHASE DARK SOULS: REMASTERED:
- Here on Steam for $40, :siren: but it's only $20 if you own the original!! :siren:
- Here on PS4 for $40.
- Here on Xbox One for $40.
- Here on Nintendo Switch for $40. There is also a compatible Solaire amiibo out in the wild, but good luck finding one!

YOU CAN PURCHASE DARK SOULS:
- The original Dark Souls is no longer sold on Steam, but you can still find it online at several key reseller stores while supplies last. If you do manage to snag it before it's gone, make sure you install the necessary DSFix mod to resolve its problems with framerate and resolution.
- Here on Xbox 360 for $20. You also get an Xbox One copy since it's a compatible Live game!
- Here on PS3 for $20.

Yes and no. The difficulty of Dark Souls is overstated in a number of ways, especially by game journalists who play most games about as well as Polygon played Doom 2016. This problem stemmed initially from reviewers underestimating how much attention the game expects you to pay to your actions, the enemies' actions, and your surroundings. It's difficult to do when you're trying to do a critical analysis while also juggling punishing melee combat. However, these reports of the game being brutally hard spilled over into the general population and now it is widely considered to be the series' "thing".

Dark Souls is designed to be hard, yes. Its enemies are punishing, its combat unforgiving, and challenges weighed about as far away from your favor as they can be. However, it is also meant to be hopeful instead of hopeless. It will not mislead you, it will not lie to you, and it is not out for that 'gotcha' moment that will embarrass you and make you wing your controller at the wall. You can win, and you will win, if you learn from your mistakes and keep trying. Even in the very first trailer put out for Dark Souls way back in the day, that much is evident, and I'll let it speak for itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA

THE FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT TIP: Pay attention and have patience. It cannot be stressed enough. Dark Souls is a game about watching your surroundings and acting accordingly, you gain nothing from rushing into combat and getting pasted. You cannot button mash your way through this game. So if you're struggling with the combat, pull out your shield and slow down. Being patient carries many, many advantages that will help you and also keep you from that aforementioned controller-winging anger threshold.

SOME LESS IMPORTANT TIPS IN THE ORDER YOU WILL LIKELY HAVE NEED FOR THEM:

* If you're literally just starting the game as you are reading this, pick whichever class sounds the most fun to start with. Their descriptions give you a pretty good idea of what they are good at off the bat. There are no character build limits, you can go off in whatever direction you like once you're actually playing and picking new items up.

* DO NOT SET YOUR CONTROLLER DOWN WITHOUT HAVING ENTERED THE MENU WITH THE 'START' BUTTON FIRST!! YOU WILL ACCIDENTALLY ATTACK AN NPC AND THEN COME TO THIS THREAD COMPLAINING ABOUT IT!

* Speaking of which, talk to the Crestfallen Warrior sitting around at Firelink Shine. Talk to him a bunch. He will tell you exactly where to go and what you need to do. The guy knows a whole lot for being so dour all the time!

* Hit the 'help' button in any menu to get a sub-menu that will explain every item in any list. It's useful for figuring out what all your stats do!

* Make sure to pay attention to weapon stat requirements. The game will tell you if you're severely under the dex/str requirements, but it helps to know how much you will benefit from them too.

* When you die, you leave a bloodstain that must be picked up to regain your souls. If you die again, the bloodstain and the souls it carries are lost and you leave a new one. Therefore, retrieving your souls should be priority numero uno once you've cleared out any surrounding danger.

* As you kill enemies, the counter in the top left corner will fill up. This is 'liquid humanity', which is lost in your bloodstain when you die. You can spend it at bonfires (and a few other specific spots) to kindle them, which will allow you to gain 10 Estus Flask chugs instead of the usual 5. You must be human first, however, which opens you to invasions!

* If you get invaded and die, don't sweat it. It happens, and you don't lose anything. My advice, if you are unprepared for a fight, is to haul rear end back to the bonfire before the invader finds you. That way your bloodstain will be close by should you lose.

* Being human also allows you to summon other players via white or gold signs on the ground. You will eventually gain the ability to place these if you are friendly and not a dick. Bringing a player or two along is really helpful, but also increases boss HP and stagger resistance, so be cautious how big you let your party become.

* If you are completely lost for where to go next, try talking to NPCs! Someone will almost always be around to point you in the right direction.

* Yes, there is fast travel. No, you can't get it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93LFz_j5fQA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNpLhv21BS0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrqAxndBiTA

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qG0FgSLxjY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtT2xYZbWBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXp8Th41rBs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3HPkXHxS_s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp28JPs25ek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvYApd_X3aU

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 4, 2019

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
[Also reserved just in case but I doubt I'll need 3]

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4O6ttzNxBg

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K1NZPWau_I

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Two bonus tips for new players:

-Upgrading weapons is what separates early-game equipment from late-game equipment. You can use the same weapon for the whole game if you keep it upgraded.
-Once you get past the tutorial, there's a couple ways you can go, but the "intended path" is up toward the bridge.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/hWX1M2q.gifv

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Djeser posted:

Two bonus tips for new players:

-Upgrading weapons is what separates early-game equipment from late-game equipment. You can use the same weapon for the whole game if you keep it upgraded.
-Once you get past the tutorial, there's a couple ways you can go, but the "intended path" is up toward the bridge.

I think you'll find the intended path as being rushing all the early area black knights and then quitting and starting again when none of their weapons drop

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Hype to put more hours into this than any other game this year

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I think I’ll get this just to see 60 FPS Blighttown.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love the Dark Souls

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Still not sure if I'll get this but I'm excited the release is close.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Hmm Dark Souls coming in a few weeks and finally wintering ending? Coincidence I think not.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

snoremac posted:

I think I’ll get this just to see 60 FPS Blighttown.

my brain can't really wrap itself around the concept. i can imagine literally every other aspect of the game could be upscaled and retextured and optimized and gussied up and running at a perfect, unwavering 144hz, and yet it will still poo poo the bed when you get to blighttown.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You forgot one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I6fmvp37TU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

how could you forget your friend, Trusty Patches?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRswclEJ_Gk

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also important:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzJDimvPW1Y

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

This is fuckin great, how are they making their characters twitch like that

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

switching ammo types repeatedly.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
How fuckin sad is it that I'm already thinking of what build I'm gonna do first. Its too far out for this :negative:

Apparently they announced the date of the network test if you're on Xbox1 or PS4. May 11th/12th. You can download the client ahead of time and it seems to be open to everyone.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Ground floor!!! I'm excited to play on the switch and maybe also the PC version

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wooo hold down to go back to estus! I missed that. I stopped my replay about halfway through but I may just abandon it and start fresh again. Or will existing saves work?

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI
Welcome to the new thread yall!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
To anyone who has been paying more attention to promotional material than I have: are there fabric physics?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

MMF Freeway posted:

How fuckin sad is it that I'm already thinking of what build I'm gonna do first. Its too far out for this :negative:

I'm right there with you. :parrot:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Gonna get this on Switch and play Dark Souls everywhere. I'll grind out stupid rare drops while watching dumbshit videos probably also of Dark Souls being played. A grand time will be had!

indyrenegade
Apr 5, 2018

and that man's name? ENRICO FERMI

Simply Simon posted:

Gonna get this on Switch and play Dark Souls everywhere. I'll grind out stupid rare drops while watching dumbshit videos probably also of Dark Souls being played. A grand time will be had!

I'm ever closer to purchasing a Switch due to DS and mobiiiile binding of isaaaaaac

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
thank you for posting this, the most important dark souls video

Simply Simon posted:

Yes! Yesssssssss!

Also really excited about the Switch version because my sis is finally gonna play it and we'll do jolly cooperation :kimchi:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
oh hey can I toss one of my videos on the first-page pile? (I posted this in the last thread too)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojxqBq-D11A

It's not quite on the same level as the others on this page but I hope you enjoy it :)

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

skasion posted:

To anyone who has been paying more attention to promotional material than I have: are there fabric physics?

I've seen some gameplay but I can't remember if there were fabric physics. To be brutally honest, the graphics upgrade is pretty lacking overall. Fire looks a lot better but otherwise everything looks washed out and lower-res than expected. I'm sure that modders will be able to make it look sweet as hell though.

I'm much more enticed to play ds on the go with a switch. The only draw on the PC is a fresh population of humans to inva—er, summon

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SciFiDownBeat posted:

To be brutally honest, the graphics upgrade is pretty lacking overall ... everything looks washed out and lower-res than expected.

Yeah, it looks like Dark Souls :pram:

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Whoo Dark Souls gonna whack some undeads in the faaaaaaace yeah.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Will it be possible to play with a mouse and keyboard? I know there are mods for DS to make it...better, but it still sucks rear end compared to the controls in the later games.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

skasion posted:

No cloth physics. Up-scaled textures, improved dynamic lighting and some added particle effects. A pretty by the numbers remaster. Probably the best change visually is gonna be the scalable UI

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Will it be possible to play with a mouse and keyboard? I know there are mods for DS to make it...better, but it still sucks rear end compared to the controls in the later games.

Afaik no one has gotten a chance to touch the PC version yet so that's still up in the air.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I'm really looking forward to the first couple weeks of this. It'll be mass anarchy. I'm gonna help everyone!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm looking forward to getting invaded and owned by a twink in the Burg.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'll be back and posting in here about my first time playing dark souls once it's out on switch, so goodbye until then

i hope i can beat bloodborne by then

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MMF Freeway posted:

No cloth physics.

:whitewater: stomping noobs is all I have left to live for

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

How come the original giantdad video isn't on the OP? Shameful!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyA8odjCzZ4

Also the best (yet not complete) walkthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4xt_K_r0aI

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Dark Souls has the most brilliant level/world design of any game I’ve ever played and I’m looking forward to traipsing around it all over again.

...on PC and Switch.