Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

pointsofdata posted:

Another big improvement in speed of that section was working out that strafing the extra big guys outside O&S works much better if you are right up against them, instead of a reasonable distance away.

Bosses and just enemies in general in DS are like tits, the bigger they are the closer you wanna be to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
I know the remake isn't coming out until Nov, but could I ask about Demon's Souls in this thread? I'm playing it for the first time blind right now (and co-op no less, which is hilarious), since there is no way I'm getting a PS5. I figure this thread is probably best bet for the moment for people that have also played DeS a lot.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Demons Souls is great. It has the most generous parry window, and it’s possible to carry around 99 types of each healing item. It’s the easiest of the souls games but it’s still challenging. It is a bit different though. Nearly all of the bosses are gimmick bosses where there is a specific way to beat them quickly and once you learn the method it becomes trivial. This sounds bad because the Bed of Chaos sucks, but lots of bosses (most?) in Demons Souls are this style of puzzle boss where the technique to weaken them is the goal rather than fighting skill like most of the bosses in the series.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A number of enemies in Dark Souls do have a puzzle like element to them. E.g. I eventually worked out that if I hit the silver knights with the biggest weapon I had they would be staggered, letting me hit them again to kill them. Much better than "blocking" or "dodging"

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Parrying silver knights is fun though.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Logan 5 posted:

I know the remake isn't coming out until Nov, but could I ask about Demon's Souls in this thread? I'm playing it for the first time blind right now (and co-op no less, which is hilarious), since there is no way I'm getting a PS5. I figure this thread is probably best bet for the moment for people that have also played DeS a lot.

Demon's Souls is cool and fun to play through, even offline. My two big tips are:

1. Dump everything besides the most vital consumables, armor, and the weapon with the appropriate damage type for your area of exploration into your storage box (side note: never hit Stockpile Thomas)

2. Avoid being in body form in the worlds, if you care about being locked out of side quests. There are some cool unique weapons and NPC encounters you can have on pure white world tendency, which you primarily build to from killing bosses, but dying in body form will push that zone's world tendency down towards black. Throw yourself off a high point in the Nexus every time you beat a boss. The health cap feels bad to look at, but the game is scaled to that challenge and you can find a ring in the first level that raises the cap to ~70% of your health anyway. You can get different events on a pure black world tendency, but it's easier to push down after you get white than push up now that the original DeS servers are down.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
OP said they're playing coop which means they're on the private server, so they have to be human to summon but it also doesn't matter because the private server has commands to manually change your tendency to whatever you want

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
the dragon, then Manuss, then Gwyn and Im done!

edit - dragon down

also I get invaded SO much in the DLC

bows1 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 13, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

feelix posted:

OP said they're playing coop which means they're on the private server, so they have to be human to summon but it also doesn't matter because the private server has commands to manually change your tendency to whatever you want

Oh well that solves that issue then. Didn't know the DeS private server had the world tendency toggle.... guess that's a good reason to try it out then :getin:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Ornstein armor is cooler than smough armor so smough dies first. Sorry, thats the rules. (Plus the ring).

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Logan 5 posted:

demon's souls is all about tone and atmosphere and is totally awesome. co-op may reduce the general terror the game inspires though, but i'm sure you'll still have fun.

magic is op, but also fun to use

everyone else's advice is good too

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I get big tower or latria vibes from the gulag in the latest call of duty

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

demon's souls is all about tone and atmosphere and is totally awesome.

I don’t think any boss in the soulborne series is as effecting as Maiden Astraea. Maybe Gwyn is close, but Gwyn is just a husk that doesn’t talk to you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Look Sir Droids posted:

I don’t think any boss in the soulborne series is as effecting as Maiden Astraea. Maybe Gwyn is close, but Gwyn is just a husk that doesn’t talk to you.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

drat, never seen that before. I usually put him out of his misery quick cause I feel too bad.

VVVVVVVVV
Yeah, I noticed the limping around and I'm aware of the backstory. I just never saw the falling over animation with the flailing limbs and everything.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 15, 2020

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Most people probably never even notice Sif limping or know the backstory with Artorias.

And she fights back instead of letting you just murder her.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
dog dead so what

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I've never done it but apparently if you defeat Manus before Sif the cutscene is different. Im not certain if its manus or Artorias as the trigger for that.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
You have to rescue Sif from an area behind a hidden wall, I don't think you have to have beat Manus but i might be wrong. But you won't get the modified cutscenes if you've resurrected Reah at any point due to a bug.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 15, 2020

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think it's tied directly to rescuing Sif from that side cave and thus activating the ability to summon them vs. Manus.

e:fb

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Most people probably never even notice Sif limping or know the backstory with Artorias.

And she fights back instead of letting you just murder her.

Just give me the ring you dumb dog

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

goblin week posted:

Just give me the ring you dumb dog

dogs don't even wear rings!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Give me that abyss ring, you are a wolf. It doesn't even fit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That goldmine is what brought me to SA

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

speaking of, some of fromsoftware's back catalog is pretty out there but the "otogi" games honestly look insanely sick. unfortunately they were only for the original xbox which is still pretty much un-emulatable as far as i know. seems like a great thing for microsoft to make backwards compatible now that everyone loves from

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR9hfZnZQc8

I remember getting & playing the poo poo out Otogi because you break everything. The second game had fun weird characters as well.

E: That is to say, all structures and similar game features. Made you feel really powerful when you smashed a demon through 15 walls.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 19, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Otogi loving owned

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Casual player, first time playing through, not using guides/videos. I started playing MONTHS ago, but put it down and couldn't remember why. Loaded up last night and remembered why. I was in Anor Londo, and no matter what I did, these 2 archers kept smoking my rear end, knocking me off a narrow walkway to my death. Finally, I just did a YOLO run last night. Ignored the guy behind me, and just ran straight at the dude in front. Hit him a few times and then homie just fell off. CAREFULLY walked past, around the corner and dropped down and found a bonfire. HOLY poo poo, what a relief! Why was this part of the game so much harder than anything else I've encountered so far? Is this common?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

betterinsodapop posted:

Casual player, first time playing through, not using guides/videos. I started playing MONTHS ago, but put it down and couldn't remember why. Loaded up last night and remembered why. I was in Anor Londo, and no matter what I did, these 2 archers kept smoking my rear end, knocking me off a narrow walkway to my death. Finally, I just did a YOLO run last night. Ignored the guy behind me, and just ran straight at the dude in front. Hit him a few times and then homie just fell off. CAREFULLY walked past, around the corner and dropped down and found a bonfire. HOLY poo poo, what a relief! Why was this part of the game so much harder than anything else I've encountered so far? Is this common?

yeah everyone dies a lot to the archers their first time. you found the Secret Technique of just letting that guy kill himself. usually i don’t even attack him, just tank his hits with my shield until he falls

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

betterinsodapop posted:

Yes, this is the most infamous roadblock in the game.

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Just finished DS:R for the first time yesterday. Hilarious that it just punts you back to the Undead Asylum after the credits. I avoided using guides, so I never found the DLC. I had one lingering question about Anor Londo. I killed the lady with the big cans and tried to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin, but it got too tedious because every time I would die, it would kick me back to the first bonfire in Anor Londo instead of the one I rested at right in front of the boss fight. Is that intentional? I wanted to complete all the bosses but it was such a pain in the rear end to run all the way back there every time.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

skasion posted:

Yes, this is the most infamous roadblock in the game.

This, and the next boss fight.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

fuckwolf posted:

Just finished DS:R for the first time yesterday. Hilarious that it just punts you back to the Undead Asylum after the credits. I avoided using guides, so I never found the DLC. I had one lingering question about Anor Londo. I killed the lady with the big cans and tried to kill Dark Sun Gwyndolin, but it got too tedious because every time I would die, it would kick me back to the first bonfire in Anor Londo instead of the one I rested at right in front of the boss fight. Is that intentional? I wanted to complete all the bosses but it was such a pain in the rear end to run all the way back there every time.

Not 100% sure, but I think this is because you killed Gwynnyvere and darkened Anor Londo. You don't have to do that to fight Gwyndolin, and the bonfires would have worked normally if you hadn't.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Why you punch boobies?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

fuckwolf posted:

Yeah, you respawn back at the first bonfire if you kill Gwynevere and darken Anor Londo. It's best to kill Gwyndolin first, as such.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
If you leave the firekeeper alive you can just warp from the first fire to the darkmoon tomb fire.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

HaB posted:

This, and the next boss fight.
Noooooo! :laugh:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i have six save files on my switch and five of them are sitting at anor londo ready to fight the boss. it is the most difficult part of the main game for me by a considerable margin

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Woof. Guess it’s not getting any easier for me, then. :smith:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Weedle posted:

i have six save files on my switch and five of them are sitting at anor londo ready to fight the boss. it is the most difficult part of the main game for me by a considerable margin

Wow that's weird, pretty much the whole community agrees the anor londo boss fight is the easiest in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Wow that's weird, pretty much the whole community agrees the anor londo boss fight is the easiest in the series

He probably fell into the resurrect rhea path by accident.