Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you can snipe two or three of the monsters before talking to Sieg it gives him a much better chance at survival. You can’t kill them all if you want the quest to continue, but you can improve his odds.

You can also kick him into the pit if he gets stuck and won’t drop down by himself. Be careful not to attack him since he’ll aggro, but a kick should still work as long as there’s a monster left for him to fight once he’s down there.

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I bought this when it came out, played a bit, then put it down for quite a while. I just started playing again, but the co-op seems pretty much dead. Am I wrong? I need to get enough co-op boss kills to join the sunlight covenant but I've only been summoned a few times over a pretty long period. I mainly tried being summoned at the anor londo bonfire where solaire is, and I also put my sign right at the entrance to the boss room. In both cases I was between level 50-60. I also tried putting my summon sign by the steps after you enter the forest using the crest of artorias, as I remember from when I did invasions that this place was super active, but nothing.

codo27 posted:

Dont listen to people who are mad the world geography of a fantasy game doesn't line up. 2 is good, literally nothing else good has come out besides the Souls series in recent years so dont deprive yourself

okay but you gotta admit that the earthen peak thing where you see it's in the sky, and yet you somehow take an elevator up from it to lava world???

I didn't like the ds2 base game very much at all, but I did think the DLC was really good.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 11, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

actionjackson posted:

I bought this when it came out, played a bit, then put it down for quite a while. I just started playing again, but the co-op seems pretty much dead. Am I wrong? I need to get enough co-op boss kills to join the sunlight covenant but I've only been summoned a few times over a pretty long period. I mainly tried being summoned at the anor londo bonfire where solaire is, and I also put my sign right at the entrance to the boss room. In both cases I was between level 50-60. I also tried putting my summon sign by the steps after you enter the forest using the crest of artorias, as I remember from when I did invasions that this place was super active, but nothing.

Yes, fairly dead, it’s a three year old remaster of a ten year old game.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

skasion posted:

Yes, fairly dead, it’s a three year old remaster of a ten year old game.

ah too bad. I definitely felt I overpaid, $40 is kind of silly for a remaster given not much changed.

are forest invasions mostly dead too?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

axolotl farmer posted:

Yeah, I jumped down and killed all but one, then ran back up and talked to Siegmeier. He never jumped down.

Welp, fragile Onionknight quests seems be a recurring theme in Dark Souls. I have never got Patches dressed up as Siegward to show up in the cathedral in DS3 either.
Sounds like you hit one of the lesser-known bugs with Siegward's quest. There's a bit that sometimes doesn't get flipped that will result in Siegward not following you into the pit and later acting as though you saved him again, even if this isn't what happened. You can usually prevent this and force the bit-flip by resurrecting Reah before you run in to Siegward in Lost Izalith. It's kind of a pain but worth it to save the onion knight imo

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

actionjackson posted:

okay but you gotta admit that the earthen peak thing where you see it's in the sky, and yet you somehow take an elevator up from it to lava world???
The whole game is rife with similar discontinuities like hallways that take you halfway across the land by walking 30 feet. Look at Heide's Tower across the water in the distance from Majula and then walk down the stairs and you're there. It's a fractured representation of the world and the different areas that you visit are not really physically adjacent to each other.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Volte posted:

The whole game is rife with similar discontinuities like hallways that take you halfway across the land by walking 30 feet. Look at Heide's Tower across the water in the distance from Majula and then walk down the stairs and you're there. It's a fractured representation of the world and the different areas that you visit are not really physically adjacent to each other.

yeah those were mentioned in that 40 minute long ds2 critique video by that irish dude

yes I watched the whole thing

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The best part about ds2 is all the fun weapons, just relax and try stuff out, like being a punchperson. Very Good.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Volte posted:

Also depicted in this classic bit of souls lore

Warning: this is canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kr7KDCsIws

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is DS3 mostly dead too or is there still a decent amount of people doing co-op?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

actionjackson posted:

Is DS3 mostly dead too or is there still a decent amount of people doing co-op?

DS3 is quite alive because they didn't make a broken disappointing remaster that split the playerbase

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
also it's just a more recent game and goes on sale reasonably often. earlygame coop is not usually that populated though

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
No, DS3 is alive and DSR is dead primarily because the phantom spawning portal is the wrong color in DSR

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

also it's just a more recent game and goes on sale reasonably often. earlygame coop is not usually that populated though

that's too bad. I've played through all the games enough where I don't really feel like going through most of the game just to get stuff for co-op. Also in ds1 I think most would agree that the game up to and including O&S is just far superior to what comes after. So I just don't want to play the after part anymore.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

actionjackson posted:

that's too bad. I've played through all the games enough where I don't really feel like going through most of the game just to get stuff for co-op. Also in ds1 I think most would agree that the game up to and including O&S is just far superior to what comes after. So I just don't want to play the after part anymore.

I have never had an issue getting summons in the first area of DS3 which is good because it's a very hard first level. The couple of levels afterward are a little less consistent but still not much of a problem usually

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

actionjackson posted:

yeah those were mentioned in that 40 minute long ds2 critique video by that irish dude

yes I watched the whole thing

I genuinely like Matthewmatosis but it's hard to live down admitting to being utterly stymied by the Prowling Magus fight of all things.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

John Murdoch posted:

I genuinely like Matthewmatosis but it's hard to live down admitting to being utterly stymied by the Prowling Magus fight of all things.

haha I remember that

I don't remember which souls bosses I'd say were the toughest for me, I do remember the double flame dudes in the dark souls 3 dlc were really annoying, and midr. the fume knight in ds2. flamelurker and maneater in des. for ds1, probably the giant dragon in the dlc

pontiff in ds3 is where i gave up on my sl1 run.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 12, 2021

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I've been getting pretty consistent hits in DS3 - admittedly mostly invasions - so it's felt decently alive on PC.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

DS3's PvP scene is extremely alive. There's a 50/50 chance if you invade that you'll roll up on someone's gank-squad. DS3 hates invaders, which means it's fun as hell.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
Do yourself a favor and get the red eye orb early so you can invade as you go through the early levels, you'll have a blast.

E: but unless you get some overleveled phantom kills you're not going to get anywhere near enough souls to level with.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

GodFish posted:

Do yourself a favor and get the red eye orb early so you can invade as you go through the early levels, you'll have a blast.

E: but unless you get some overleveled phantom kills you're not going to get anywhere near enough souls to level with.
Invading is easily one of the best parts of DS1/2/3 (and especially 3 since it was active last I played and apparently still is). I've never had as much fun as I did in DS2 Ratbro/Bellbro covenants though. Too bad there wasn't a full red orb :( .

If Elden Ring has full red/blue/whatever orbs for constant invasions (which it NEEDS), I'll probably never stop playing it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GodFish posted:

Why would you not have enough souls to level with if you're also going through the levels?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
I just mean you get such a piddly amount of souls from invasion kills that you usually have to kill like 10 people for a single level up.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Personally I don't do it for the souls, but for the sheer thrill of dunking some poor sucker who committed the crime of being my target. Getting some humanity on the side is a nice bonus though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have bought I dunno how many games since christmas but my dilemma just now:

What should I play? Haven't finished that. Barely played 10 minutes of that. gently caress it I'm starting another run of DS.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GodFish posted:

I just mean you get such a piddly amount of souls from invasion kills that you usually have to kill like 10 people for a single level up.
Right, but the souls from invading exist alongside the souls you get from playing the levels. You don't want to get a ton of souls from invading, otherwise in addition to the souls obtained normally you'll level a lot faster than other people in the areas you're going through and will drift out the level range to invade most players.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
really the main benefit of getting souls from killing players is getting to reverse engineer the ridiculous levels of the overleveled phantoms hosts password summon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXuFYw0LTT4

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did start up DS3 for the first time in years and made a strength build using claymore. At level 18 or so I was able to invade at the high wall bonfire pretty easily.

There was a sun bro with the siegmeyer armor and the door shield, I gotta admit that looks fun as hell

how are people able to use that at such low level? doesn't it require 45 strength?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 13, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If they had a blue icon next to their healthbar(like in that video there), they are an 'overleveled' phantom. aka they're a higher level than normally would be allowed, but because the host and them are using a password they are allowed to summon them anyways.

this comes with some statistical nerfs(mainly HP and damage) to bring them down to the host's level of power, but it's fairly rough. overleveled phantoms being able to still meet stat requirements for high stat req weapons is one thing, but also they can be wearing heavier armor and casting high stat spells as well-the stat debuffs they get aren't implemented that well since it only really brings them down to par if they're using the same sorts of gear as those at that level.

ex, a super high level dude in havel's wielding a maxed splitleaf greatsword will have his damage reduced roughly the same proportional amount that another guy at that level but wielding just a broadsword would be. this doesn't really create a level playing field because if you cut damage by a percentage the endgame gear with higher stat reqs is still gonna hit quite a bit harder.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I did start up DS3 for the first time in years and made a strength build using claymore. At level 18 or so I was able to invade at the high wall bonfire pretty easily.

There was a sun bro with the siegmeyer armor and the door shield, I gotta admit that looks fun as hell

how are people able to use that at such low level? doesn't it require 45 strength?

Everything pre-Road of Sacrifices is filled with Twinks toting endgame gear including statrings, weapons, etc. If you want to PvP and get a fair fight you're better off waiting till Pontiff Sulyvhan.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Ah okay thanks. I'm not looking for dueling (I know the area right after Pontiff is a big dueling area). I'm looking for places with enough enemy density that I can use that to my advantage.

the password option allowing overleveled players is dumb though

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
coming off of bloodborne and this game seems... clunky as poo poo. i’m having a way harder time with this than i ever did with demons souls remake or bb

i keep just wanting to play ds3

edit: lmao i finished bell gargoyles and got to right outside of the capra demon. gently caress these dogs and these assassin dudes. honestly i’m nearly to the point of gently caress this game lol

edit 2: i got through capra and i’m not as upset 8)

g-c fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 15, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

g-c posted:

coming off of bloodborne and this game seems... clunky as poo poo. i’m having a way harder time with this than i ever did with demons souls remake or bb

i keep just wanting to play ds3

edit: lmao i finished bell gargoyles and got to right outside of the capra demon. gently caress these dogs and these assassin dudes. honestly i’m nearly to the point of gently caress this game lol

edit 2: i got through capra and i’m not as upset 8)

Capra demon is insanely bullshit, second time you went through the fog gate and he's on you already, even less warm up than the first time, feels like such a dick move. you get to fight multiple ones later on an open area and despite the level design being lame it was very satisfying to wreck them first time.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i just discovered the incredibly tiny (like five people) world of those who have beaten a soulsborne gave without taking any hits

you can take fall damage (as long as it doesn't kill you), and status effect damage (poison, toxic, etc.) but you can't get hit or staggered by any enemy

one of them, squillakilla, did it on ds3, including the dlc, and at SL1 :wtc:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

actionjackson posted:

i just discovered the incredibly tiny (like five people) world of those who have beaten a soulsborne gave without taking any hits

you can take fall damage (as long as it doesn't kill you), and status effect damage (poison, toxic, etc.) but you can't get hit or staggered by any enemy

one of them, squillakilla, did it on ds3, including the dlc, and at SL1 :wtc:

Yep, and a couple of them have done full trilogy back to back no-hit runs

lmao

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

New Londo ruins and Four Kings is terrible. First the long hike from Firelink or later Valley of Drakes, then bullshit ghosts and me being stupid and walking off cliffs all the time :mad:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

axolotl farmer posted:

New Londo ruins and Four Kings is terrible. First the long hike from Firelink or later Valley of Drakes, then bullshit ghosts and me being stupid and walking off cliffs all the time :mad:
If you run from Firelink and go to the back right area of the first platform with ghosts (before going up the first set of stairs), you can drop down onto a wall in the lower area and it's just a short run from there to the Four Kings battle. It's still a little annoying but it should only take a minute and other than having to dodge a Darkwraith or two, there's not much in the way of danger as long as you keep moving.

Just remember to put the Firelink elevator back to the top as you step off it so you don't have to keep waiting for it.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I know, but it's still a long-rear end hike to a terrible area :argh:

Now I wanted the ninjaflip ring, so I went down to blighttown and murdered Shiva's bodyguard. They dropped nothing, and no item appeared when I reloaded the area or even when I quit the game and reloaded. Is this a known buggy thing or can I just forget about it?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know I could do a no hit run except its not for the lack of skill, it's discipline, or focus really. There's no way I could focus that long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese
i think i’m gonna do co-op as much as possible for this run. i usually don’t ever but i summoned two guys at the bonfire in depths and we went to the boss and that made for a really fun fight!