Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like the idea that he was so mad that Gwyn made an alliance with Seath that he was gearing up to do something quite drastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Guillermus posted:

Divine keeps skellies down but, what's the point with occult? I always made that club divine.

Occult has mildly better Faith scaling, and swaps out the Divine percent for Occult percent, an otherwise rare modifier on weapons... because it's mostly useless. Only one weapon has a percent higher than 10%, and that's the Dark Hand which does little damage anyways.

Occult percent does boosted damage to divine beings, which only consists of: Leeroy, Black and Silver Knights, Anor Londo Giants, O&S, Gwyndolin, and Gwyn himself.

In theory it might not be a horrible infusion against O&S and Gwyn, but you can outdamage it with other sources pretty easily as the split damage types aren't doing it much favors to begin with.

Divine's good for skelly killin, and Uncursed Artorias Sword and Grant both do hilarious damage to Nito, but that's about it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Gargoyle Halberd upgraded with Lightning is one of my favorite weapons.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Just found old mate blacksmith and am wandering around the undead parish looking for where I have to go next but I feel like i've found my rhythm in this game and don't need to restart again, except for the fact that I picked up a fire keeper soul and assumed that simply using it would upgrade my flask. I genuinely cannot conceive of playing this game without a guide, I think I'd go mad.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Just found old mate blacksmith and am wandering around the undead parish looking for where I have to go next but I feel like i've found my rhythm in this game and don't need to restart again, except for the fact that I picked up a fire keeper soul and assumed that simply using it would upgrade my flask. I genuinely cannot conceive of playing this game without a guide, I think I'd go mad.
Most people playing it blind did, and now they post here & in every other From thread

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
People act like walking into a dark room and stubbing their toe on every last piece of furniture is some noble act, reserved for those of a distinguished calibre and a high IQ.

The Russians just used the light switch.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Dammit, I stubbed my toe last night and I think it might be broken, and I was just catching up in the Dark Souls thread to distract myself. What an unfortunate analogy to see.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

If you're in the Parish, you'd have the church you could clear out. If you've already done that, then there's the area below Andre the smith you can explore. Or you should be able to find a key in the Parish that is used on that locked door that's at the start of the red drake bridge. The locked door is right next to the doorway you walk through after you beat the Taurus demon. There is also an extra-secret area you can access through the elevator in the church. That secret path involves some clever rolling onto places that look inaccessible otherwise.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Completed this for the first time last night.
I was trying to go blind-ish - I looked up answers when I was lost or didn't know how to use an item but I don't like playing the the wiki open on another screen. So I missed a bunch of content including all the DLC. Oh well.
Never got tired of whacking people with the Great Club

Overall I had a lot of fun and I'm glad I gave this a shot after Elden Ring finally made me "get" the souls game appeal.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Wait there's dlc? What am I looking for to not miss it? I'm a bit less blind than you but im taking it super slow and only looking stuff up as I come to it

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

It's in an early area but doesn't unlock until you find an item in a much later area. There's no particular reason to go back to that early area and no hint on the item to do so.

e: after reading the item description I guess there is a hint but it's very obscure

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jul 19, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Wait there's dlc? What am I looking for to not miss it? I'm a bit less blind than you but im taking it super slow and only looking stuff up as I come to it

Yeah, there's DLC, and aside from it being kinda long since merged into releases of the game now, FromSoft made it a bit obscure. Luckily you can't ever lock yourself out of it or anything. There is a bit you can miss though if you've already done Anor Londo. Here's the simple list, generically described:

- Defeat a Hydra
- Explore the crevice across the lake after a bonfire/quitting to the menu (optional)
- Defeat Anor Londo
- Get an item early in Duke's Archives
- Return to the lake cave, interact with the thing

Note that you can kill the Hydra with enough spells and arrows if you have to, but the head cutting method isn't that bad when you learn it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The hydra is very intimidating the first time you confront it but a lot easier than it looks.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
If I recall correctly, the hydra's water blasts do some weird unaspected damage or something like that

just one of the game's many oddities, to be sure

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I could be wrong but I seem to remember Fromsoft literally explaining exactly how to get to it in the patch notes when the DLC was released so don't feel too bad about looking it up. You'd be hard pressed to stumble into it blindly I think.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

If you found Dusk before and remembered she's from Oolacile you might put two and two together and try to ask Dusk about the item only to realize her sign's gone. If you then check where she used to be trapped there's a big conspicuous portal there.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

If you found Dusk before and remembered she's from Oolacile you might put two and two together and try to ask Dusk about the item only to realize her sign's gone. If you then check where she used to be trapped there's a big conspicuous portal there.
I would wager that this has never happened

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

So I picked up the drake sword and the claymore and upgraded the claymore to +5 and it's still punching quite a bit lower than the drake sword at 16 strength. I'm quite a low souls level (I can't remember the exact number but it's probably not higher than 10) are there any other stats I should be focusing on as a pyromancer who just beat the bell gargoyle or should I just lean into it and pump it up a bit? My vit is about the same right now and I've been putting points equally into both and ignored all the other stats. Does INT mean much to me as a firey boy? Is the drake sword simply a weapon to keep me going until stat scaling kicks in?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if your sl is <=10, you're still very low level.

INT means nothing to pyromancers, you should probably get at least a little endurance alongside strength/vit. It increases stamina and also equip load.
Aside from sometimes getting a little bit of attunement for another spell slot, those are the only stats you will care about.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

So I picked up the drake sword and the claymore and upgraded the claymore to +5 and it's still punching quite a bit lower than the drake sword at 16 strength. I'm quite a low souls level (I can't remember the exact number but it's probably not higher than 10) are there any other stats I should be focusing on as a pyromancer who just beat the bell gargoyle or should I just lean into it and pump it up a bit? My vit is about the same right now and I've been putting points equally into both and ignored all the other stats. Does INT mean much to me as a firey boy? Is the drake sword simply a weapon to keep me going until stat scaling kicks in?
If you're going for strength 1-handers comparable to the Claymore, you can also test out the ManSerpent Greatsword, which is a drop from the obvious appropriate enemy within Sen's Fortress. It's the highest scaling pure strength greatsword for a sword & board-type build.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
In Dark Souls 1 Pyromancy doesn't scale with stats. All you need to worry about is upgrading your flame.

A very popular build involves getting just enough stats to use the Zweihander, upgrading it to remove scaling, then upgrading pyromancy and dumping the rest into Vit/End. You don't have to go that way, obviously. But you have a lot of flexibility and Pyromancy demands a relatively small commitment so you have a lot of flexibility.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ve never used magic or pyromancy. Just another completely foreign aspect of the game to me to try when I play again next time.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah, you're just still very low level, and most weapon scaling on standard weapons is barely anything until +10. The Claymore is a Quality weapon anyways (low but even STR and DEX scaling), you're not likely to see a noted return in it's damage for quite some time- an item has to have B to S scaling to see any fast returns in this game. That, and the Drake is hard to beat DPS-wise that early, so yeah, it's just there to get you through the garbage scaling range that is the early game. You can buy a club or reinforced club and lean hard into STR if a buff boy is what you're looking for though.

With a decent bit of game knowledge, starting as Pyromancer and leaning hard into the pyromancy snaps the first half of the game over your knee and sets you up for the easiest soul farm in the game so you can jump about 40-60 SLs in one go to be set for the rest of the game. It's not necessarily a strategy friendly to those unfamiliar with the game though. Regardless, everyone likes pyromancy as it's only scaled off of the flame and nothing else.

INT scales soul magic, it's the blue stuff you probably saw the Channeler shooting at you. It's the primary attack magic, but it's a different style of play than melee builds. The weapon buffs are fantastic though.

FTH scales miracles, which is mostly healing, but has a few utilities and some strong offense options way later.

My simple advice is to roll VIT and END for a while, as you'll want those on pretty much every build. The Drake Sword will last you a while, and in this time you can probably find some cool weapon to decide to build for.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I haven't found where to upgrade my pyromancy flame yet so it seems underwhelming but it does wonders for a group of enemies. Only just looking for the second awakening bell so very early on I assume but if I should have found it already feel free to let me know

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You can upgrade it with the same guy you got it from , unless you started as a pyromancer in which case look around for Laurentius in the depths

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I haven't found where to upgrade my pyromancy flame yet so it seems underwhelming but it does wonders for a group of enemies. Only just looking for the second awakening bell so very early on I assume but if I should have found it already feel free to let me know

Basic Fireball isn't amazing, but it does okay. You'll soon have the ability to buy some better spells and to upgrade it after one more zone. The game isn't always explicit about telling you what to do, but the key you got from the Gargoyles should lead you in the right direction.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I didn't realise I got a key from them for ages and I think I'm back on the right track because I'm only getting my rear end handed to me a little bit rather than by a lot which is what happened when I found the valley of the drake's

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I didn't realise I got a key from them for ages and I think I'm back on the right track because I'm only getting my rear end handed to me a little bit rather than by a lot which is what happened when I found the valley of the drake's

To be fair, the Drakes will hand any melee character's rear end to them, but yeah, the rule of thumb is that if you're getting completely destroyed it's probably not somewhere you should be right now. DS1 almost always offers at least 1 other area to explore at any given time, but they're often more difficult.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Manus is more challenging IMO. If you’re blocking, might want to grab a shield with decent magic res.

I've never really got Manus, to be honest. He has a couple of one shot attacks or combos and a long run-back so I feel I've only ever beat him by luck rather than by learning the fight, which is a bit unsatisfying.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Disco Pope posted:

I've never really got Manus, to be honest. He has a couple of one shot attacks or combos and a long run-back so I feel I've only ever beat him by luck rather than by learning the fight, which is a bit unsatisfying.

By the time I got to him, my character was basically max level for a NG run and tanky enough to just not die to his kill combo and shrug off the rest. While also dealing damage fast enough that he straight up cast his first spell as he died.

I'm mildly terrified to see how I'll do against him the next time I get there with a significantly different build.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think Manus is harder than Kalameet. I died more to Artorias than either of them though. I like to think that experience made me better at them after.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think Manus is harder than Kalameet. I died more to Artorias than either of them though. I like to think that experience made me better at them after.

Yeah, Artorius was a wall, but I got that whole thing down where the fight felt like a dance and could do him taking maybe a hit or two tops if I'm sloppy. I'm not a big fan of From bosses that just seem to randomly flail (which is why I'm a little cooler on Elden Ring than some, although it's still great!)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
For me I'd say Manus is generally more difficult, but has more openings and ways to counter his poo poo. Kalameet by comparison is a spiteful prick who like every other dragon fight in the series can just randomly decide it's time to die now and murder you in an instant.

Artorias lands in the "carefully paced flippy-spinny Fromsoft fight that I'm inexplicably good at" zone.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Manus isn't so bad once you know a few tricks, like when he roars and puffs out his chest dodge the gently caress backwards or you're going to get combo'd to death, and when he does the magic ring that flies in from the outside, you can just run right up to him and wail on him because it stops before it gets to him. Otherwise, it's surprisingly easy to dodge his giant hand attacks and the other magic attacks he does can be avoided by simply running out of the way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kalameet is a hard fight but most of his attacks rely on the camera being poo poo to kill you

Kalameet when you're trying to cut his tail is COMPLETE loving BULLSHIT

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kalameet became a lot easier for me once I tried him without locking on the camera.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Volte posted:

Manus isn't so bad once you know a few tricks, like when he roars and puffs out his chest dodge the gently caress backwards or you're going to get combo'd to death, and when he does the magic ring that flies in from the outside, you can just run right up to him and wail on him because it stops before it gets to him. Otherwise, it's surprisingly easy to dodge his giant hand attacks and the other magic attacks he does can be avoided by simply running out of the way.

I think my main issue with Manus is I can't really read what his chest even is. I have trouble with depth perception in bosses like the Kings and the Nameless King, and to an extent, Manus, where the arenas can make it hard to judge distance and scale.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I've only beaten the dlc as Giantdad.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

SeANMcBAY posted:

One of my favorite things about Souls games: everyone having such different boss experiences.
I can dance circles around both Manus and Artorias - with nearly any build. I have never tried and would need to get over being rusty, but I could probably no-hit Manus at least. I know that fight REALLY well.

On the other hand, I have bothered killing Kalameet maybe 3x my entire DS career (literally hundreds of hours, including everything from SL1, All Bows, No Shield, All Shields, etc. runs.)

I hate hate HATE that fight and am absolutely TERRIBLE at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I'm someone who's played this game way too many times and on many different challenges and I can say this about the DLC bosses:

Sanctuary Guardian: beat him many times, still my most hated boss in the game, just not fun to fight
Artorias: beat him many times, favorite boss in the entire series (Sekiro, BB, and ER included), fun to fight
Manus: I usually just shoot him with arrows from outside the boss arena, beat him once legit, didn't enjoy it
Kalameet: only ever beat him once and I still don't know how I did it, like most dragons he's big nonsense

When I do playthroughs, I usually do 100% base game bosses, but if I touch the DLC, it's usually just to challenge Art Arcgunkle