Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Internet Kraken posted:

There were definitely some pieces of armor you couldn't equip in DS1 if you didn't have the stats for them. I think.

At least I remember doing a SL1 run and going up to like SL5 or something just to get the stats needed to equip the fashion I wanted.

You remember wrong. There are no stat requirements for any armour in DS1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

CJacobs posted:

Same here besides the exercising part

That part is basically so I can do the video game binge and not feel as much like garbage

Kalaxus
Dec 8, 2003

Battle Master
Gold Tracer R1 spam wrecks Andor Sentinels, the move-set as you dance through and evade most of their attacks, where has this weapon been all my life. Do you think pairing it with the Lifehunt Scythe would be a viable combat option for most circumstances? I thought maybe the reach of the scythe combing with the close-quarters rape dance of the tracer could be fairly devasting. The complete lack of any kind of support for Gold Tracer builds and showcases has me thinking that I might be missing something major that makes this seemingly op blade a liability of some kind. Like everyone else knows its so obviously bad no one would try to use it while I'm confidently rushing into to Manus fight with it.

And does the Lifehunt Scythe need to be final hit that procs the bleed to get the 50% bleed bonus dmg or does it just need to be a part of the opponents bleed build up?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Well, lots of bosses are just completely immune to bleed, so...

It's good in pvp though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNb4Cclne2M

very good!
lifehunt scythe does in fact need to proc the bleed to get the extra bleed damage.

(this clip is also an example of why poise is somewhat overrated: it can lead to burrito combos(aka attacking before riposte without breaking poise for extra damage) and you can toggle escape hitstun like the invader did anyways once you git gud)

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 10, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I actually just made a character to speedrun through to the Archives: while Logan opens his inventory eventually, Griggs does NOT. 10 INT is mandatory for the Dragoncrest rings.

dang sorry about that :eng99:

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
wait, hold up.

does 6:00PM - 12:00AM CEST mean noon to 6PM EST in the US? I think that's what it means. I'm confused.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Plug 6PM CEST into the left side and your timezone into the right side to see when the network test will be available in your area.

edit:

Using yours as an example.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 02:19 on May 11, 2018

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
That's a really retarded window for a network test. It's from 8AM until 2PM for my time zone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah it's very strange, most of the world will either be asleep or at school or work since it's a Friday and all. Maybe it has something to do with the regions they want to test, or how much of the load they want to come from players and how much from their own test servers.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

Yeah it's very strange, most of the world will either be asleep or at school or work since it's a Friday and all. Maybe it has something to do with the regions they want to test, or how much of the load they want to come from players and how much from their own test servers.

It's the otaku network test. Instead of going to the gym first I'm doubling down, I bought 2 boxes of cinnamon bun oreos.

I need a weapon rec. I'd never really used the BK weapons until late game but I did a test run this week and got the Black Knight Greatsword and Halberd super early (I ran the knight near the hellkite dragon out onto the bridge, he's not THAT fire resistant). The problem is they are just too strong. I took the BKGS to +3 immediately and I went from hitting for about 100 with the claymore to around 500. Even the +0 BK Halberd wrecks stuff which is too bad because I love the moveset.

I kind of want a weapon that demands a bit more finesse. I've done all the scythes and love them all but otherwise I haven't used polearms before (spears, halberd). This is because I'm that guy that strafes around the boss clockwise with his shield up and I'm always poking from behind the shield when I wanted to attack. I've done spear users in DS2 and 3 but never DS1 and I've almost never used halberds or pikes.

I hear the silver knight spear is cool and everyone seems to love the halberd and the gargoyle halberd. I guess you go dex for SKS, Str/Quality for halberd, and faith or giantdad for gargoyle.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

What the gently caress I'm only half an hour ahead of Tokyo but that test will be midnight to 7AM for me :argh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What the heck, am I understanding this correctly that I had to download the network test a week ago? I wanted to try this but it won't let me download :negative:

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Dark Souls

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Araganzar posted:

It's the otaku network test. Instead of going to the gym first I'm doubling down, I bought 2 boxes of cinnamon bun oreos.

I need a weapon rec. I'd never really used the BK weapons until late game but I did a test run this week and got the Black Knight Greatsword and Halberd super early (I ran the knight near the hellkite dragon out onto the bridge, he's not THAT fire resistant). The problem is they are just too strong. I took the BKGS to +3 immediately and I went from hitting for about 100 with the claymore to around 500. Even the +0 BK Halberd wrecks stuff which is too bad because I love the moveset.

I kind of want a weapon that demands a bit more finesse. I've done all the scythes and love them all but otherwise I haven't used polearms before (spears, halberd). This is because I'm that guy that strafes around the boss clockwise with his shield up and I'm always poking from behind the shield when I wanted to attack. I've done spear users in DS2 and 3 but never DS1 and I've almost never used halberds or pikes.

I hear the silver knight spear is cool and everyone seems to love the halberd and the gargoyle halberd. I guess you go dex for SKS, Str/Quality for halberd, and faith or giantdad for gargoyle.

The Black Knight weapons are actually low-key lovely because they have exceptionally slow movesets, bad R2s, and can't be buffed. Their high base damage is what makes them seem especially devastating, but they have poor end-game DPS compared to other weapons from their groups. The Scythe you can grab in Sen's is excellent if you like the slashing halberds, while the ordinary Halberd is also excellent for thrusts. The Silver Knight weapons are also unfortunately outclassed: the Spear can't be buffed, the Sword is slow, and they're both just flat-out weaker than a Winged Spear or Balder Side Sword respectively. Always be sure to use buff-compatible weapons to maximize your DPS.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
The network test is right now ... .right? I'm in pst and it's 9:54. I downloaded the client a week ago and it says I can't log in right now. When CAN I log in?

(or is it like all the other network tests: it will never work and we will never be able to log in)

edit: lol cest vs cst.
edit 2: I had never heard of cest until today, and I lived in London for 4 years.

redreader fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 11, 2018

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Your Computer posted:

What the heck, am I understanding this correctly that I had to download the network test a week ago? I wanted to try this but it won't let me download :negative:

Yes, your window was from the 2nd to the 8th. I put a big bold message about it at the top of the OP and posted about it and everything!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:06 on May 11, 2018

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
me, an idiot: "oh... it's like 9am-3pm pst actually. Well I'll just play it on the work ps4 during lunch" tomorrow

me, 2 seconds later: lol no I didn't download it on the work ps4

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Nixing this post until I know the timeframe for sure.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 11, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Yes, your window was from the 2nd to the 8th. I put a big bold message about it at the top of the OP and posted about it and everything!

My brain just completed glossed over the fact that the download ended before the network test. Why would they do that :(

e:

Concurred posted:

Dark Souls

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Truly this is the Dark Souls of network tests, because it gets weirder. I am hearing conflicting information that the original 6pm PDT date might actually still be on for USA, and the CEST timeframe is for EU only. I don't know for sure because they continue to not specify if the PDT date is still in effect but I'll keep the thread updated anyway.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

The Black Knight weapons are actually low-key lovely because they have exceptionally slow movesets, bad R2s, and can't be buffed. Their high base damage is what makes them seem especially devastating, but they have poor end-game DPS compared to other weapons from their groups. The Scythe you can grab in Sen's is excellent if you like the slashing halberds, while the ordinary Halberd is also excellent for thrusts. The Silver Knight weapons are also unfortunately outclassed: the Spear can't be buffed, the Sword is slow, and they're both just flat-out weaker than a Winged Spear or Balder Side Sword respectively. Always be sure to use buff-compatible weapons to maximize your DPS.

The BK weapons are just to strong for the early-mid game since you can get so much twinkling titanite early. I'll be helping two friends new to the series through the game and I don't want to just stomp stuff. I'm more interested in a moveset I like on a weapon that isn't top of its class but doesn't just flat-out suck.

I've played the top weapons in each class except polearms. I absolutely loved the Scythe, probably my favorite weapon although the Zwei is a lot of fun too. I took out a halberd and played with it. I like the moveset and it looks like it would be okay for pvp. I also like the Gargoyle Halberd with the vertical chop.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Okay, I've done as much research as I can and gathered the following times. Until Bamco clarifies (:argh:), here are the times at which the network test will be available in each region:

6p-12a PDT for NA
6p-12a CEST for EU
7p-12a AEST for Oceania
7p-10p JT for Japanese regions only

These are subject to change because of how confusing this has all been and I'll let you know if they do. Bamco needs to hire some PR staff who know how to properly announce things sometime.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

CJacobs posted:

there's a message about when the network test is, none about the prereq to download the client days before the test (well there's a post may 10th to download by the 8th)

this is v silly and badly communicated by from. so a perfect start to a dark souls thread

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was there, pinkie swear. Removed it when it stopped being relevant. It really is mind-boggling how poorly this has been handled given how well the Dark Souls 2 Network test went.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can this game just come out already, I want to play some Dark Souls but at this point it feels dumb to start up a new save in the old version :negative:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Okay, I've done as much research as I can and gathered the following times. Until Bamco clarifies (:argh:), here are the times at which the network test will be available in each region:

6p-12a PDT for NA
6p-12a CEST for EU
7p-12a AEST for Oceania
7p-10p JT for Japanese regions only

These are subject to change because of how confusing this has all been and I'll let you know if they do. Bamco needs to hire some PR staff who know how to properly announce things sometime.

Fingers crossed this is correct, because it's way better :ocelot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For the record, you shouldn't blame FROM for this. This is all Bamco, baby.

edit: In fact, FROM's tweet about the network test times (announcing the JP region) is the only one we know is correct for sure:

https://twitter.com/fromsoftware_pr/status/994774182901710852

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 11, 2018

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I put FROM's site into Google Translate to try to divine some information, and the translated story is... familiarly amusing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I put FROM's site into Google Translate to try to divine some information, and the translated story is... familiarly amusing.

Witches of Izaris and the Chaos Girls is my favorite band

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

when performing a network stress test, it's important to make sure very few people can connect

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Witches of Izaris and the Chaos Girls is my favorite band

And no one knows a dwarf

somebody please edit these over the subtitles on a video of the intro

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
"Seoul" is obtained when you defeat an enemy or by using items. Seoul will use it in various scenes such as level up of characters and purchase of items, strengthening of weapons and armor and repairing.

When a decent character (living) dies, it becomes a deceased. Even if the deceased dies, it remains the deceased.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let us not forget the namesake this thread carries:

quote:

Enemies

You will face many unique, despair-inducing monsters. Survival means accepting you will die, learning from death and overcoming the ultimate challenge to reclaim your soul.The demons who rule this world gain their extraordinary power from the King’s Crowns. To retrieve the King’s Crowns and reach the flame of the world, you will have to face the White King Gwen and his knights, the witch Izarith and her evil daughters, the first dead, Nit, and the immortal and nameless SHADOW DWARVES

Your Soul

When you begin this adventure, you are soulless. You must emerge from the abyss to reclaim your soul in order to reach the land of the living. Make social connections, win games, find eggs and solve riddles—and increase your soul energy until you get your entire spiritual essence back. The gauge at the bottom of your dashboard numerically measures the amount of soul energy you have earned. Check your gauge each day to keep track of how much soul energy you have. Do your best to get your numbers high enough so you can say once and for all: Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED - Win Games, Find Eggs, & Solve Riddles

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a kickass 3D platformer collectathon to me :colbert:

Dark Souls by Rare

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Let us not forget the namesake this thread carries:

DARK SOULS: REMASTERED - Win Games, Find Eggs, & Solve Riddles

God drat do I hate SHADOW DWARVES. I'm disappointed to discover that the REMASTER does not get rid of the SHADOW DWARVES.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I don't care if it's Engrish, "Be gone, evil forces, my soul is mine and I am alive!" is a :black101: tagline

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Is THAT where the old thread title came from? wow!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yes, it was for some reason the game's description when it first went up on the Steam store. They quickly changed it, which frankly I just don't understand because that sounds like a perfect description of Dark Souls to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Network Test is live in AUS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they say what area the test is gonna cover? Assuming Firelink to Tarus Demon.